iphone or DROID?

dubbfoolio

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
I'll be buying a smart phone in the next month or so, and the iphone is the front runner. Should me as a gamer even consider any other options? Mostly interested in apps and internet connectivity on the go.

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say realistically, aside from all the other debate about the iphone vs. competitors, that the iphone is the best mobile gaming platform that is also a phone at the moment, hands down. There is absolutely no question when looking at the apps store vs. other competitors when it comes to the number of game options.

And it's only growing in terms of the market. Now the touch only controls can be bothersome on some games, but they also allow for unique and innovative experiences as well. I've owned a G1 iphone for a little under 2 years and I've really enjoyed it. I'm most likely going to upgrade to a 3GS later this month, and outside of the crazy cost of the monthly plan, I can't see any reason to consider any of the options from RIMM or Palm. But that's my take on it.

I'll second what etcrane said. I wouldn't even look at anything besides an iPhone 3GS. I had Verizon in the past, hated it, switched to a G1 iPhone, loved every minute of it, then upgraded to the 3GS which is a 100 times better than the old G1.

So, go with the 3GS.

I'm not only interested in gaming since I have a psp and DS. But I am looking for the jack-knife device with a serviceable camera, gps, streaming video or podcasts or music, email, ect. Basically I'm totally sold on the iphone, but I was just curious if any of the recent alternatives springing up are in any kind of position to overtake it in the near future. I haven't really explored the alternatives yet and figured that it's my duty as a cheap ass before making such a big purchase. Anyway thanks guys for the advice.

There's an older thread on here that was basically a debate between iphone, storm and the pre ... it's probably several pages back by now, but if you search in the Other Deals forum, that should shed some light on comparisons. With that said, my take is that the 3GS currently offers everything you're looking for. Only reason not to go with it is if you have an issue with AT&T.

AT&T wouldn't be my first choice, but it's not enough to change my mind. I'd say I'm 99% likely to get the 3GS, but I just feel obligated to shop the options considering it's a $920 purchase (including the data plan). Thanks for the heads up on the other thread. I'll search for that!

okay I'm going to be annoying and bump this thead now that the DROID is out and the reviews are raving. iphone or droid? my contract ends on the 11th and I will probably get a phone then. I currently have Verizon so they may be able to waive activation and give me $50 credit for renewing... as opposed to AT&T where I probably will have to pay an activation fee.

I think I'm still leaning towards the iphone. I don't think it'll be my best option throughout the entire 2 year contract, but it is the best option now and will probably have the best resale value 2 years from now.... opinions? I've never had a smart phone so your guys' advice is appreciated! thanks.

[quote name='Koggit']For what it's worth, I got an iPhone 3GS back in July and now wish I had gone with a Blackberry instead[/QUOTE]
really? how come? AT&T? My friend has had the Blackberry Pearl and a newer phone I can't remember the name of.... anyway I found web browising to be cumbersome whenever I grabbed it from him to check sports scores or something. maybe it's something you just have to get used to. Everytime I've played with a friend's iphone I found it a little more intuitive.

I am in an area that has both and the Verizon & ATT coverage; Vzw's is call quality is far superior as well as the speed of the networks. I agree with others that have the iPhone is the mobile phone to beat but would not get it on a bad network.

My take, get a Droid, and hopefully within 2 years Apple will have released a phone with Verizon. If one could help it though, just avoid the extra $30 (its 15 for unlimited data on a non-smartphone) and get a Voyager or Versa. If money isn't an issue get an Iphone, but I'd do whatever I could to avoid the 2 year job.

ATT sucks dick.

In spite of that, iPhone>>>>Android.

The problem with Android is that it only allows apps to be installed on the onbaord ROM. The Droid only has 256MB of ROM to install apps to.

Until Google removes that retarded restriction, stay WAY the fuck away from Android.

P.S. The Droid keyboard is AWFUL.

P.P.S. If you're looking to game on your phone, iPhone shoukd be your only consideration. Android has too many variants on too many phones for developers to consider making games for it.

[quote name='manthing']The Droid only has 256MB of ROM to install apps to.[/QUOTE]
wow didn't ever hear about this. that would really kill any enthusiasm I had for the droid before. I'm planning on downloading and using lots of apps!

Edit:
wow! thanks manthing. you made my decision for me: http://androidandme.com/2009/10/new...app-storage-issue-with-droid-and-android-2-0/
I'm still thinking Droid phones will be the phones to have two years from now, and that iPhone is the phone to have now. Especially for gaming, music, apps. I can always unlock the phone after the two years are up and go to a different carrier. In all liklihood the apple brand will carry a much higher resale value than a motorola DROID if I decided to switch to the new hot tech 2 years from now.

I'll probably be moving next summer. Location will be job dependent and there is a good chance I can get out of the contract if I end up somewhere where there is no AT&T service.

iPhone hands down. Droid is not quite up to par yet although the Droid platform has great potential. iPhone is still winner today. I give it at least another year before Droid can become a serious competitor.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']
wow! thanks manthing. you made my decision for me: [/QUOTE]

NP.

I *HATE* AT&T soooo fucking much.

Unfortunately, Android is the only real alternative to the iPhone OS. But that apps restriction is a deal killer.

P.S. ATT won't let you out of a contract if you can't get ATT service.

[quote name='manthing']
P.S. ATT won't let you out of a contract if you can't get ATT service.[/QUOTE]
that sucks. but in all liklihood I'll be in a major city. so it shouldn't be a problem. what if you leave the country? Do you know if you can get out then? I'm in research/academia, which means I could end up anywhere if I stick with it. There's no telling where postdocs positions will be available.

Edit: looks like early termination fee is $175. I can live with that if I was in a real pinch.

My opinion, At&T has awful service. Many people I know cannot get reception in most of the areas that other service has reception. The droid is nice, but lacking heavily in features. And the keypad is only rubber, i feel it will wear out quickly. I would actually wait til early next year and get verizons iphone.

With any cell phone service, I'd say the question shouldn't be the phones it should be whether you want to get raped in the ass or semi raped in the ass. The only exclusion is if you have to get it for you're work phone.

Also, you guys waiting for Verizon to pick up the iPhone... keep dreaming. lol

I got a Droid on Friday and like it quite a bit. Its screen blows away the iPhone, and I think its call quality is better. Verizon's network is also superior.

That said, I would still probably get an iPhone because of its superior app/game catalog, interface, and integration with iTunes. Since the vast majority of my family and friends are on Verizon, it didn't make much sense for me to stray to AT&T.

I'm in a similar decision. Deciding between Verizon/Droid and ATT/iPhone.

Each seem to have their pros and cons, which is making it impossible to decide. One second I'm leaning towards the Droid, then I hear about that app storage issue. I'm a little hesitant to go with ATT because I've heard their service is very spotty. I currently have Verizon and have had almost no issues with service.

I'm leaning towards going with Verizon and getting the Droid with a 1-year contract, then switching to the iPhone if I don't love it. Of course, I realize that Verizon getting the iPhone is far from guaranteed.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Also, you guys waiting for Verizon to pick up the iPhone... keep dreaming. lol[/QUOTE]

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/11/06/apple-to-manufacture-verizon-compatible-iphone-in-q3-2010/
A new report from OTR Global relayed by AppleInsider indicates that Apple is planning on manufacturing new hybrid iPhones that will support both Verizon's CDMA2000 network as well as the UMTS 3G network. Only the UMTS network is supported by the current version of the iPhone and is used by AT&T and much of the rest of the world.

Qualcomm's new hybrid CDMA/WCDMA chip offers the potential for a single, global iPhone that users can take to any major carrier, solving the network fractionalization problem. It also solves other issues that had served as roadblocks, including the issue of user confusion that would result from Apple selling separate CDMA and GSM/UMTS versions of the iPhone.

The reason behind building in such support would seem primarily to extend the iPhone's compatibility with Verizon in the U.S. The move is expected to take place by the 3rd quarter of 2010. Conveniently, AT&T's exclusivity contract with Apple is believed to expire in mid 2010.

Keep dreaming eh? :roll:

[quote name='VipFREAK']With any cell phone service, I'd say the question shouldn't be the phones it should be whether you want to get raped in the ass or semi raped in the ass. The only exclusion is if you have to get it for you're work phone.

Also, you guys waiting for Verizon to pick up the iPhone... keep dreaming. lol[/QUOTE]

Didnt Verizon have first dibs but turned it down? I swear I read that multiple times.

No one considers sprint?

Something like that. Even then... they have to support that FAIL Storm 1 and 2.

Sprint to most people probably is a FAIL. I think it does too, but at $30 w/unlimited txt it's the best service that rapes me the least.

If you're getting a droid, I put a link on my page (in my sig) to buy it for $150. I just cant believe retailers are selling it cheaper than Verizon directly.

I'll probably stick with the iphone. I'm not the type of person that's on the phone all the time. I'm more interested in having lots of apps and games to play with and am willing to suffer with AT&T. The verizon plan would cost $10 a month extra too, and data is not unlimited. But the 256mb ram for apps thing really confuses me.

I just posted a review on my site. While I recommend people who don't wan't/ can't use ATT to get the Droid instead, I can tell you honestly that if ATT didn't have such crappy service in my area I would want an iPhone instead. I like the iPhone's interface better and it doesn't feel as clunky to me as the Droid.

However, the Droid is a VERY good competitor IMO, and if the Eris would just get Android 2.0 (which they probably will in a few months) I think that would be an even better phone for me as it's a lot more sleak and I dont care about having a qwerty keyboard (as long as the touchscreen keyboard doesn't frustrate me >_

The ETF for your verizon contrac could be chaper. It starts at $175 to cancel and they knock off $5 for every month of service you use. I would call verzion and as them what the ETF is just in case.

Recently signed up with AT&T and got the iphone since my sis couldn't get reception with verizon at her work area. I am liking the iphone, has a lot of functionality I woldn't normally use in a phone (verizon phone is the LG Dare and it has served it's purpose for calling and texting).

Are you just getting the iphone or is your whole family going to go with AT&T? Since you said you have a DS and PSP, a phone for gaming shouldn't really matter since you have those 2 portables (imo, but to each there own). I would consider if AT&T has coverage around where you live/work/school, etc... If there is no coverage or decnt coverage where you around most of the time, not really worth getting it. Might as well go with a ipod touch

you know verizon doubled the ETF to $350 for the droid? thanks verizon :roll:. I would be getting an iphone on a family plan with my girlfriend (she doesn't want one, she'd lose it anyway). I wonder if that would be one or two ETFs if we moved somewhere with poor AT&T coverage? There is a 14 day trial period. I live in and around Phoenix and the coverage is fine. None of my friend's have problems. I work in a basement and coverage is spotty even for verizon, which is the best coverage in Tempe. I like to do a lot of camping though, but I wouldn't touch my phone then, although it'd be nice if the GPS still worked for hiking. And phones are nice to have in case of emergencies... since I've had my car break down during camping trips before... just my luck! The motionX GPS app is probably the one I am most excited about.

I view iphone gaming as something I would do when I take a dump at work, or when I needed a minute to decompress while writing the dissertation, waiting at the post office, ect. I actually play a ton of sudoku on my zune for this reason. Not because it's an enriching gaming experience, but because it's almost always in my pocket and my DS and PSP almost never are.

[quote name='dubbfoolio']you know verizon doubled the ETF to $350 for the droid? thanks verizon.[/QUOTE]

Hmm... need to sucker as many people into the "iPhone killer" before people get wind? If this isn't an example of the iPhone NOT coming to Verizon I don't know what is. lol

[quote name='Malik112099']Wait till the holidays get here...the 8gb 3GS might drop to $99..

http://www.t3.com/news/apple-plans-iphone-3gs-price-cut-to-tackle-motorola-droid?=42039[/QUOTE]

There is no 8 gb 3GS .... there's a 16 and a 32 ... perhaps Apple will release a lower priced 8 gig model or drop the 3g price further? Dunno, I just bought my 16 gig model at the end of October, so I'll be bummed if there's a significant drop but I guess we'll see.

interesting. So not so much of a price drop as much as a lower sku. I remember people on podcasts sort of complaining that 8 gigs wasn't enough. I was thinking the 16 gb device. What's ideal? I'd like to have a good chunk of music on there but even the 32 gb model wouldn't fit my entire collection.

[quote name='manthing']NP.

I *HATE* AT&T soooo fucking much.

Unfortunately, Android is the only real alternative to the iPhone OS. But that apps restriction is a deal killer.

P.S. ATT won't let you out of a contract if you can't get ATT service.[/QUOTE]

AT&T is worthy of all the hate its name incurs, but I wonder if it's really still the same old AT&T that raped me back in the 90's? Am I hating Cingular for AT&T's sins? The problems I hear about them sound exactly like the same problems I hated them for -- dropped calls, poor/lack of service all over New York City, voicemail delays, high bills for all that, etc.

If AT&T let anyone out of a contract due to lack of service, they'd have to let just about EVERYBODY out of their contracts.

I work for Verizon, but im not one of the gung ho crazy people about it. Only reason they raised the ETF, because people were able to sign up for service, get the discount ont he phone sell it for ebay, and cancel while still turning a profit. Verizon isn't making money off the 350 ETF thing, they are just preventing people from raping the system. And for people who get phones and plan on staying with them, this is the kind of thign that is going to guarantee the lower prices going forward.

[quote name='VipFREAK']Hmm... need to sucker as many people into the "iPhone killer" before people get wind? If this isn't an example of the iPhone NOT coming to Verizon I don't know what is. lol[/QUOTE]

Oh it's so much worse than that, because not only are they going to handcuff you into a new phone, but they will be charging an *additional* $60 per month for a 10GB "unlimited" plan if you're planning to tether. If ever there was a reason to hate Verizon even more, the Droid might just be that reason. They have a phone that is aesthetically inferior in just about every way to an iPhone but they double the ETF AND they charge twice the amount for data as AT&T.

And before a Verizon troll comes here to say something like "At least the service works for that $60 per month", even Sprint is a better choice at this rate for much less money and comparable service in most spots. Sure Verizon has a slightly better network but it's not worth three times what a Sprint bill would cost for the same service.

well to be fair iphone doesn't tether (without jailbreaking it). I don't know about the sprint phones. Verizon is putting a 4Gb cap on the data plan however. I don't know how likley it is that you would ever exceed that checking email and web, but I do hate that they use the word "Unlimited" on a data plan that is clearly limited. Also Hulu app reportedly coming? If it came to android that would put you over the "unlimit" pretty quickly.

I still dont get the Sprint hate, or even the lack of discussion... its network is larger than AT&T and faster in most areas. Its up there with Verizons network. They charge the least, include everything (text, web, etc) and all calls to any cell is free incoming and outgoing, not only sprint cells, but any non landline phone the call is free and uses no minutes.

They do new every 12 if your on a 1500 unlimted plan or more and they have a pretty good set of phones. Short of people being picky and wanting an Iphone type set of apps (which Sprint really doesnt have, I have not looked into the Instinct HD or the other phones, but I cant imagine its even a quarter of the library)..

Their networks are fast as well. Price is good and I have loved their customer service.

I have an unlimited plan from Alltel and it recently transferred to Verizon.. I have already started to notice them throttling at the 4.8 gb area... once I hit that my speed drops till the new month. i am tracking it and this last time they claimed it was my USB card.. so they sent me a new one. We will see this next month, as I bet it will happen again.

If you don't talk on your phone much just get a small free phone and carry a handheld or touch. I have sprint for the price with a blackberry. They are by far the cheapest for a phone with text and data plan. The negative IMO is the wait for new phones. Verizon customers will be seeing the iphone soon enough, sprint customers have a long wait ahead. I would choose which carrier provides the best service at the best cost. Then choose a phone.

As a person with a droid, I can type that the droid is the truth.

It's the truth for people who don't get frustrated easily. It's not for people who like fluid activity (I love fluid activity, which is why I loved my macs when I had 'em, but, I know when to put on my big boy britches and make things work for me)

The droid's screen is amazing to look at. It's design screams tech. The keyboard is subpar, but it get easy to use after a few tries. The on board keyboards are GREAT...after you upgrade them to "better keyboard" (I got a titans theme keyboard now)

There are a lot of apps such as sportstap, cnn, explorer, and a few others that make my needy life easy. I was at work yesterday and had my titan scores streamed to me with my emails being a different tone. Beautiful.

Google navigation is just legendary already and you can make a ton of people mad as fuck with the voice search feature. Too many people this weekend had that jealousy in their eyes

It's not an "iphone killer" and I think Apple helped create that phrase because they KNOW nothing is going to kill the iphone...and it makes all other phones look inferior in some way.

Instead, it's an "iphone equalizer". If you have a droid, you have the same damn features as the iphone plus a few. You're not lacking anything basically.

Plus....verizon's 3G network where I live is just amazing compared to ATT

@rmb I am interested in web integrated apps like facebook/twitter, yelp!, gps, pandora, hulu if that ever shows up. So I lose the travel companion aspect with a touch. Currently I have verizon and a shit phone. And that's $40+ a month so with a family plan with my gf at AT&T I can get a web integrated do everything gadget for $200 and then $20 extra a month over what I was paying. Maybe I need to experience the pain and suffering that is AT&T to understand why they are loathed so much. I can risk a restocking fee, but from what I've heard AT&T is fine here.

I honestly don't need an iphone and have no problems living without it... this is definitely spoiling myself. It probably only really come in useful for the handful of times a year I travel to conferences. There have been lots of times where it would be extremely useful though, since I don't have a laptop. I figure moving to a new place next year it'll be really useful for exploring. I'll be traveling more to interview, and my annual income will probably double next year, assuming I find a postdoc.

@ Snake I've looked into the HTC Hero a little on Snake's reccommendation and it sounds like a really good phone, but it suffers the same app limit as the droid. Also it has flash but it doesn't work all that well. It sounds like it's sluggish in general. Here's the best review I found http://gizmodo.com/5318860/htc-hero-review-ambitious-but-tragically-flawed Sprint might be the best service out of AT&T and Verizon when considering price and quality.

@strongpimphand boo titans. when are the hell are niners going to play 4 quarters of a football game? Thanks for the really good Droid impressions. I'll stop by a verizon store and get my hands on the HTC Hero, and Droid before I make a final decision.

Palm Pre. Its a great phone and sprint has great deals on everything plans. I love my pre and apps are releasing everyday. you have to remember Iphone has been out for 2+years and the pre has been out only a few months. Used to be a verizon guy, but the prices are the highest. from what i hear verizon and sprint share roaming towers anyway.

[quote name='wakeandbake']Palm Pre. Its a great phone and sprint has great deals on everything plans. I love my pre and apps are releasing everyday. you have to remember Iphone has been out for 2+years and the pre has been out only a few months. Used to be a verizon guy, but the prices are the highest. from what i hear verizon and sprint share roaming towers anyway.[/QUOTE]

Sprint is probably my first choice for carrier based on price. Don't know too much about Alltel. My girlfriend has T-mobile. She doesn't always have service where my verizon phone does. Like when we're camping. But it's fine. In an emergency you would just keep walking around till you got signal.

Alltel is dead, bought by verizon. Older users are grandfathered in and that is how I have my net from them still.

We do use the Sprint and for us its an Instinct for me and an S30(new instinct) and probably soon palm pre for my wife.

As strongpimphand said the google search app or the one that Sprint has is a live search on the instinct. that is an awesome feature. You literally hold the button down, or manually start the app, and ask for pizza, or even a specific name of something (i.e. gamestop). it will pull all the locations and give you address, phone, miles to, etc. You can push the number and it will dial, or you can hit the map and it will give you directions, You can hit the navigate icon and it will auto load the location into the GPS and your on your way with a true GPS. That feature alone is sick.

Otherwise i dont do the facebook, etc. My wife does and has full access to those sites with one button click. myspace, facebook, Ebay, opera, etc, etc. The apps are where its lacking but again the instinct HD and a few other phones have come out in the last 9-10 months. I have not really been looking.

I dont know about you but the GPS feature is beyond nice to have in your pocket. We went with some friends and their kids trick or treating and I pulled it out on the walk home in a sub division,a few people were glad I had it that night. it will do all the things the more expensive in car GPS can do and more. I can search gas by price, location, distance, etc. I can search food, entertainment, etc. I can pull up maps on the GPS and manually scroll them to find things, for instance found a lake my buddy and I were tryin to get back to this summer by doing that.

Anyway good luck in the search. If you have a sams club membership they give instant rebates on the spot at their cell kiosks (ran by radioshack actually). If you dont at least stop in a radio shack as believe it or not they had the best prices, and rebates when I searched pretty heavily in January. Sams Club is by far the best if they have the carrier you are going to go with. You get member discounts on your first bill and the rebates apply at checkout, so no waiting at all.

bread's done
Back