Monster Squad Blu-Ray $9.99 at Amazon! Available now

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
The good news is that Monster Squad is coming to Blu-Ray and it's really cheap.
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Squad...ef=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1256625582&sr=8-2
The bad news is its not coming out before Halloween. November 24? Come on!

5358.jpg

Remember what a good idea Van Helsing seemed like before you actually saw it? Well, here's a movie that has the classic Universal monsters and yet isn't insanely horrible. It's sort of for kids, but still a lot of fun if you have the right mindset.

The DVD special edition is a bit cheaper at $8.49:
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Squad...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1256625801&sr=8-1

Last edited by a moderator:
Great Movie at a good price. I'm just real iffy buying older movies on Blu-Ray. I already have this on DvD and it looks great. So I might pass on this.

Thanks OP

[quote name='eastx']

5358.jpg

Remember what a good idea Van Helsing seemed like before you actually saw the movie? Well, here's a movie that has the classic Universal monsters and yet isn't insanely horrible. It's sort of for kids, but still a lot of fun if you have the right mindset.

The DVD special edition is a bit cheaper at $8.49:
http://www.amazon.com/Monster-Squad...ef=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1256625801&sr=8-1
[/QUOTE]

It is a little gem of a movie. I amazingly bought this movie last February for $3.99 on DVD! I recently watched it with my nephews, and they enjoyed it as much as I did.

lol @ a 20th anniversary edition bluray coming out for a 22 year old movie. Yes, I know, it's a port of the dvd that came out 2 years ago, but still.

[quote name='skiizim']Great Movie at a good price. I'm just real iffy buying older movies on Blu-Ray. I already have this on DvD and it looks great. So I might pass on this.

Thanks OP[/QUOTE]
You will really love this movie on BD, if you have the budget I would recommend it to you.

[quote name='DestroVega']I'm sure the transfer will be terrible... but might still get it.[/QUOTE]I already own the DVD, which is a pretty nice edition, but I'm going to wait until I read a review of the Blu because chances are the transfer won't be very good.

[quote name='DestroVega']I'm sure the transfer will be terrible... but might still get it.[/QUOTE]

Time to eat those words ;)
Just wanted to give folks an update on SQUAD's Blu-Ray....

1. All the extras from the DVD edition will be present and accounted for on the BluRay

2. With the exception of the Deleted Scenes & Frankenstein Interview, all of the other video extras are being re-outputted right now by myself in HD. The documentary, theatrical trailer, TV Spot (in 4x3 obviously), Still Gallery, and Storyboard Sequence were all originally shot and/or transferred and posted in HD and then downconverted for SD on the DVD edition. So now we can offer them all in HD, which is a very generous option that Lionsgate has allowed me to exercise.

3. The Deleted Scenes section has been expanded and updated to include a series of moments that were featured on the film's TV Version that were not included on the previous DVD's Deleted Scenes section. Also the Storyboard Seqeunce now includes a direct picture-in-picture comparison between the storyboards and the final scene from the movie itself.

4. MONSTER SQUAD FOREVER!, the feature-length doc has been given a spit polish and nip and tuck here and there and features some footage not seen in the original version. Again everything was shot in HD, and its looking so much better than it did on the original DVD. It also plays a lot better and without as much repetitive information as before. The post-production on this doc was extremely rushed back in the day, and this version represents what would have been the final edit had I had a little more time to finesse the final product. The time crunch was no one's fault, it was just a reality due to the project's expansion from a one-disc set to a two-disc set late in the game.

5. The transfer of the film itself is a big time WOW. Fred Dekker went back in to give this transfer his final OK (another generous offer from Lionsgate) and it simply blows the previous version out of the water...as you'd expect, but seriously it's a winner.

6. Normally I wouldn't get too excited about menus, but wait til you see what Lionsgate and Fred Dekker have cooked up for the BD menus on SQUAD. Really affectionate and kick-ass stuff!

So I sincerely hope you'll all consider a SQUAD upgrade in November. Trust me, it will be worth it!

Michael Felsher
Red Shirt Pictures

[quote name='GizmoGC']Time to eat those words ;)[/QUOTE]
Thank you for that. It sounds promising. I keep an eye out for it.

That is a pretty dumb release date but I do love this movie and that is a very attractive price point. On a side not I just watched Night of the Creeps last night on Blu-Ray. A fun little 80's cult flick but I wasn't too impressed with picture or audio quality. Thought I was watching a DVD.

[quote name='LeRoy'] On a side not I just watched Night of the Creeps last night on Blu-Ray. A fun little 80's cult flick but I wasn't too impressed with picture or audio quality. Thought I was watching a DVD.[/QUOTE]

That's too bad. I ordered the movie on Blu-ray thinking it would be a good transfer. Regardless, I love the movie, and it'll definitely beat the flash version I ripped from Youtube (before it was removed due to copyright claims) and converted to avi. It's hard to believe it's taken so long for the film to be released on DVD/Blu-ray.

[quote name='vagrantpaul']I have not heard of this flick, might be up my alley. Thanks OP.[/QUOTE]

If you are very young and/or didnt grow up on HBO growing up, then this movie might have slipped past you

This is one of my all time classics... hilarious

I hated this movie with a passion when I was a kid, especially the end when the kid throws the teddy-bear to frankenstein.:roll:

So glad to read that update by Felsher. He does some good shit and after reading that, I'm down for a pre-order. Monster Squad is a great movie...def worth a blind buy.

I love this movie, its not dumbed down at all, and for a movie aimed at kids its pretty scary. The Werewolf transformation scared the crap out of me as a kid. theres some gore and swearing too for kids movie. I hope the bluray looks great, the DVD didnt have a very good PQ

The Blu-Ray has dropped to $9.99 at Amazon. There's no excuse to pass on it now!

Watched it the other day and it's held up amazingly well. It's nice to see a family movie that can appeal to adults too and isn't afraid to take risks.

God damn it, I pre-ordered and they shipped it already.

You can try to call CS, Destro, but they generally don't offer price adjustments once the item ships. :(

[quote name='gunm']God damn it, I pre-ordered and they shipped it already.

You can try to call CS, Destro, but they generally don't offer price adjustments once the item ships. :([/QUOTE]

yeah, anything that's shipped will never get adjusted the price adjusted.

i know it sucks.. happens to me on many ocassions

[quote name='Irukandji']I didn't have the goonies when i was a kid. I had monster squad. fuck the goonies.[/QUOTE]

I'm with you on that.

I emailed and was able to get a refund for the difference straight away. I think they made an exception since my order was a pre-order and the drop was so close to when the item shipped.

Sweet! It's one of my favorite childhood movies. :D

I have it and the Night of the Creeps Blu-Ray (which I've never seen but heard is great) in my cart now but I'm about 50 cents short of free shipping. Any suggestions? :lol:

Amazon emailed me back and said they won't adjust the price. They gave me the standard crap about not their policy and can't make an exception.

Total bs.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Sweet! It's one of my favorite childhood movies. :D

I have it and the Night of the Creeps Blu-Ray (which I've never seen but heard is great) in my cart now but I'm about 50 cents short of free shipping. Any suggestions? :lol:[/QUOTE]
Timex TX1001 6.5-Inch Tube Thermometer - $0.57
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000HUADEQ/ref=nosim/krisssoccersi-20/

or My Bloody valentine and Frailty Blu-rays are on sale for $10 too.

Wow after school HBO from my childhood comes back lol. I might have to buy this one. :) Another movie I would love to see release is National Lampoons Senior Trip. Kevin Mcdonald as the pyscho crossing guard/Trekkie was classic! Here's a quote from the movie featuring Tommy Chong.
Miss Milford: Principal Moss? Principal Moss? Principal Moss!
[to the students]
Miss Milford: I can't wake him up!
Reggie Barry: Is he dead?
Red: Nah, he ain't dead. He's just in a coma.
Miss Milford: What?
Red: Yeah, I guess that car-sick pill is really working on him. It should, it's a "red." A horse tranquilizer.
Miss Milford: But I saw you take a handful of them.
Red: Oh, they don't work on me. That's why they call me Red. I'm immune!

Last edited by a moderator:
never saw this movie during my childhood, but i did catch a ton of other movies like Explorers, Goonies, (Red Dawn) etc.

so if i enjoyed Goonies, will i enjoy Monster Squad?

[quote name='basis']never saw this movie during my childhood, but i did catch a ton of other movies like Explorers, Goonies, (Red Dawn) etc.

so if i enjoyed Goonies, will i enjoy Monster Squad?[/QUOTE]
Maybe... it tends to be one of those films you will like if you watched it during your childhood, but seems a little silly as an adult.

For $10 it's worth a gamble if you liked Goonies, Goosebumps, The Gate, ect ect. If you're still a kid a heart you may dig it, but it's probably not likely to blow you away.

Could never quite figure out why people liked The Gate. Even as a kid I thought it was pretty weak.

bread's done
Back