Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep - US Release Date 9/7/2010!!! PSP Bundle Confirmed!!!

Dahk

CAGiversary!
Feedback
105 (100%)
I don't have a PSP yet but this game will single handedly force me to get one. It's looking pretty epic.

Japanese Release Date: January 9, 2010
US Release Date: September 7, 2010
Europe Release Date: September 10, 2010

Official NA Site: http://na.square-enix.com/khbbs/

Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Bundle: http://www.gamespot.com/news/6262658.html?sid=6262658&part=rss&subj=6262658
Mystic Silver PSP 3000
Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Game
4 GB Memory Stick
50 Free Downloads from Sony Music Store

Reviews:
IGN - 8.5 http://psp.ign.com/articles/111/1118030p1.html
1UP - B+ http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181187
Gamespot - 7.5 (boooooo) http://www.gamespot.com/psp/rpg/kingdomheartsbirthbysleep/review.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gssummary&tag=summary%3Bread-review
Metacritic - 82

Anyone else a fan of the Kingdom Hearts series and looking forward to this one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am a huge fan of the Kingdom Hearts series.I honestly can't wait for this game to come out.

Japanese version comes out a week from Saturday. I hope we don't have to wait too long. This games gonna be awesome! I picked up a PSP for this game specifically.

There are some pretty awesome trailers but I'm not sure how I can post them here. Can anyone help me out? Post here or PM me please.

I really wish Square would port I&II to the Wii. (Or to the PSP/DS.) I've always been interested in these titles but I don't want to buy a PS2 to play 'em.

Anyone have any theories on the connection between Ven and Sora?

What about the identity of Vanitas?

Man I can't wait for this game.

I think Japan already has this game out, since I saw it on play-asia when I went there. I hope it's a better installment then the DS one. (I couldn't enjoy it, probably because it was on a DS. Lol)

[quote name='Nathan_Sama']I'm thinking Terra = Xemnas/Ansem
They look too similar.[/QUOTE]

I agree but that seems way too easy. Nomura loves throwing curveballs.

[quote name='Dahk']I agree but that seems way too easy. Nomura loves throwing curveballs.[/QUOTE]
The curveball was that it was that easy lol
But I agree.
I don't even understand whats going on in the series anymore, I just play the games because of how fun they are. (Except for Chain of Memories, I hated that.)

Last edited by a moderator:
You just have to really think about what's going on Nathan, I did that and I realized Kingdom Hearts has a deep storyline. Which is why I really like the series.

Hopefully Birth by Sleep will be fun to play, and hopefully none of that Card bs they had in Chain of Memories....

KH is my favorite series and it looks like Birth by Sleep is going to be a great title. Chain of Memories is definitely the weak link though. I think it was a bad idea to take the series to the GBA, it just couldn't do the series justice. 358/2 days was just fine though and this looks even better. Getting a psp for this game. Hope we get US release date soon.

So the game is out in Japan and the reviews have been stellar.

It's selling very well too. Something like over 500k copies sold in its first week.

I can't wait. I even picked up one of those Hannah Montana PSP's on sale at Wal-Mart.

So I already beat the Japanese version a few weeks ago, and let me tell you, that was by far the best game in the series. If you're a KH fan and have been eagerly awaiting this game's release, then rest assured, it will definitely live up to your expectations -- if not exceed them. This game was the whole reason I bought a PSP last December, and it was totally worth it.

One thing though, in what I thought was a pretty odd move, the developers decided to "spoil" one of the major mysteries surrounding the game, Professor Xehanort's (the amnesiac who turned himself into a heartless) identity, in the very first scene of game. So if you don't wanna know that right off the bat, be sure to hit start and select Event Skip right after the opening music video ends.

Though it was the developers' intention for you to know that, so you probably just wanna watch it. It doesn't actually tell you everything as much as it just gives you a good idea of where the story is headed.

I personally thought it gave some extra perspective on one of the characters' scenarios.

Oh, and be sure to play the game in the "canon" order -- Terra, Ven, Aqua. That's the order Nomura himself recommends and with good reason.

Would I be totally lost if I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game? The visual style looks pretty good.

P.S. Aside from Tactics and FFVI, I've never really played many Final Fantasy games.

[quote name='Nobi-Wan']Would I be totally lost if I've never played a Kingdom Hearts game? The visual style looks pretty good.

P.S. Aside from Tactics and FFVI, I've never really played many Final Fantasy games.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately, yes, you'd be quite lost if you've never played a KH game before. It's not as bad as 358/2 Days which focused on the backstory of a single character and maybe only had 5 Disney characters in it, but just like it this was a game very much created for the fans, and being unfamiliar with the franchise means there'll be a TON of stuff you'll be missing out on and simply won't understand. Scenes that would've sent chills down your spine or make you go "OH SNAP" will have very little to no impact on you. This game is set 10 years prior to the original game and basically answers every single question you might've had and then some.

That said, the gameplay is excellent, and it's the best-looking PSP game I've played (not that I've played many 3D PSP games), so if you're just looking for a fun hack 'n' slash game in which you visit Disney worlds and interact with the characters, I guess you could pick it up just for that. But to get the most out of this game you really need to be familiar with the storylines of KH1, KHCoM and KH2 (358/2 Days isn't all that important -- though it makes references to this game as well).

I guess you could read up on what happens in those games on Wikipedia, but then you'd be ruining two excellent games (KHCoM is kinda meh IMO), and more importantly, you'd be ruining this game, which I consider to be the best in the series, as well. Because familiarizing yourself with the KH universe and its terminology through text alone simply isn't enough. If you really wanna get into the series, you need to start at the beginning and work your way up.

Oh, and whether your familiar with the FF series or not really doesn't matter. The FF cameos (of which this game only has one -- Zack Fair from FF7/Crisis Core) could've all easily been replaced with original characters. I'm not an FF fan either and have only beaten FF1, FF3 and Dissidia.

Thanks Axersia!

I appreciate the insight and the recommendations. I will certainly play the game in that order. Ven's connection to Vanitas is probably my most anticipated storyline.

That "spoiler" at the beginning seems very odd. I figured one of the main points of the game is revealing Xehanorts identity. I never thought it would be revealed right off the bat like that.

I also bought a PSP in December specifically for this game. Ive been playing some other titles I missed to pass the time while I wait for its NA release.

Tom Petty said it best...The waiting is the hardest part.

[quote name='LakersForLife82481']I heard a rumor, Lemme emphasize RUMOR, that BBS would not be released on the PSN Store. Any one else hear this?[/QUOTE]

Well it hasn't shown up on the Japanese PSN at all so maybe it's a possiblity... though I don't know why they wouldn't. I made sure I got a psp 3000 vs a Go though since a lot of good games still haven't shown up on the PSN yet, like Crisis Core.

That's a strange decision especially since the PSP Go exists... seems that would equal less sales... which equals less money. Well hope that a US release date comes soon... though that we would have one by now.

I was hoping we'd have a release date by now as well.

Maybe we'll get one today since the Japanese version has been out for exactly one month now...:roll:

So if I was going to play a KH game to get into the background... which games are worthwhile to play before this comes out?

Definitly Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

Chain of Memories and Days 358/2 take place between the 2 main games. I'd read into their stories to gain insight but wouldnt consider those 2 games to be "must plays"

I am a HUGE FAN oF it .............
5.gif

[quote name='Dahk']Definitly Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.

Chain of Memories and Days 358/2 take place between the 2 main games. I'd read into their stories to gain insight but wouldnt consider those 2 games to be "must plays"[/QUOTE]
Cool, thanks.

I put KH 1 and 2 on my Goozex list. They're pretty cheap in points! My only problem is that I have to finish sooooo many freakin games already.

Damn, the games looks good but I'm in the same boat with the other guy -- never played through a KH game.

I played the first KH years ago but only for like 30 minutes, couldn't really get into it.

I'm a huge Kingdom Hearts fan. KH1 is in my top 10, perhaps top 5 games of all time. That being said, I think that if you put a potato gun to my head, I'd say skip KH1. There was great story in the game, but a lot of that dealt with the Disney nostalgia. If you're a Disney-phile, you'd have already played the game as it is great fan service. But if not, then gameplay-wise, it's a bit clunky, whereas KH2 is a joy to *play*. I'd suggest a wiki of KH1 and a playthrough of KH2 (skip CoM or read a wiki if you must).

I'm only partly through 358/2 days, but from what I've played, it's not needed for the main KH story. It's only there for those that fell in love w/ Roxas. Nothing has really been added to the story for me so far (but I'd estimate I'm less than 1/3 into the game).

[quote name='Kissfuldreamer']I just checked the release date on Amazon, and it's scheduled for 12/31/2010, so we may not even get it until next year![/QUOTE]

Squenix announced a Summer '10 release. I'd take their word for it over an Amazon release date placeholder.

Although, would anyone really be surprised if it was delayed?

I am a huge fan of Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2, I've played both games probably 3-4 times each...

However, I disliked every spinoff.... (358/2 days was repetitive and there wasn't this open-world idea to it for as long as I played it, Chains of Memories was boring due to the cards, etc.)

So hopefully BBS will feel like KH1 and KH2 in terms of story and gameplay

From the reviews I have read about the Japanese version, this might be the best game in the entire series.

[quote name='Dahk']From the reviews I have read about the Japanese version, this might be the best game in the entire series.[/QUOTE]

The whole SERIES?! Dang. I LOVED KH 1 and 2, CoM was awesome, 358 not trying.

Oh man, I totally forgot about this game. Valkyria Chronicles 2 and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep were the only reason I bought a psp. I can't wait for them to come out.

bread's done
Back