Can someone help? Router Problems...

poison_SHADOW

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
Okay, so we recently got a D-Link router, which also happens to be the first router I've ever dealt with. So I know nothing.

I put the install disc in both my computer as well as my parents' and everything seemed to go fine. Downloaded the 'Network Magic' program and everything. But ever since we got it, the internet connection on my computer seems to be REALLY crappy. I can't stay connected for more than 10 minutes at a time before Network Magic pops up and says I'm disconnected from the network. My parents don't have any problems near as often as I do. I'll be surprised if I can get this posted on my first try.

I've asked a friend of mine who is going to school for networking about it, but he was baffled. My Xbox Live works perfectly except for the occasional network errors that happen only on Halo 3. Wii online seems to work fine too.

Does anyone have any ideas? It's driving me nuts.

You didnt' specify whether you are wireless or wired. I'm going to assume wireless.

Sounds like the signal strength of your laptop is shit. What is windows reporting your signal strength to be? Also, what sort of security are you using (again, I'm assuming network magic did most of the configuration but at the very least told you what it was doing.)

- DP

Remove the Network Magic program from your laptop. I can't see it being of any benefit, especially if your laptop keeps disconnecting from the router.

Ah, stupid me... forgot to mention it's a wired router. Important info, huh?

Daphatty: No, actually, Network Magic didn't tell me anything it was doing. I pretty much stared at a progress bar while it did all the work.

I've checked the site for newer firmware, but it seems my router already has the latest.

bread's done
Back