The RPG thread has reached level 2!

Which system are you playing it on, Rei?

I'm still playing Blue Dragon. I'm at the end and I'm just cleaning up side quests and the last few treasure chests.

I'mma blaze through the Witcher and then play Dragon Age. So I should be playing DA around February or so, knowing how fast I move through RPGs.

Posting in the new RPG thread!

I played through Demon's Souls 2.5 times for the platinum, and I'm really craving a turn-based RPG. I think I may replay Mother 3.

I'd say Earthbound since it's older.

I expect major disappointment on Friday with the Final Fantasy XIII announcement. I mean...they already announced the trailer is showing in Home, so it has to be bad.

I'm still playing borderlands. I'm a lvl 28 Support Gunner. I'm quite attached to this game. Once I send this back to gamefly, I'll go back to Demon's Souls. I'm almost 50 there. After that, I'll probably start fallout 3.
So I should be playing DA around February or so...
I'll probably be playing it around the same time.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Since I've only played and beaten them once each, which should I replay? Earthbound, or Mother 3?[/QUOTE]

Neither. Play The Witcher.

Just started Dragon Age, but I'm seeing a lot of time ahead I'll be spending on it. Bioware ftw.
I'm getting an urge to play a traditional RPG, so I think I'm going to replay Lost Odyssey soon.

[quote name='KingBroly']I expect major disappointment on Friday with the Final Fantasy XIII announcement. I mean...they already announced the trailer is showing in Home, so it has to be bad.[/QUOTE]
Is there a release date for North America yet? Could be that.

I know what you mean, though. Squeenix will often build up to a "big announcement", and it turns out to be nothing big at all.

Alright, Borderlands or Dragon Age? I'm playing Fallout at the moment on 360 (already played it on PC), so I don't know if I'd just get burned out on another post-apocalyptic game. Borderlands I can see dropping in price quicker than DA too. What do you guys think?

I'm still playing Dragon Age. This time around I'm a female Mage. I'm hoping that I don't run into that bug with Leliana again. I couldn't get that achievement because of it. I'm about to go to the Magi Tower...again. Am I alone in thinking that is one of the worst parts of the game?

I am playing Dragon Age for the PC. About 20 hours in now and honestly I am a little bit disappointed so far. I have always loved a lot of Bioware RPG's of this style (KotOR, BG2, Fallout 2, Mass Effect) but how much longer can they really keep releasing what is basically the same game over and over before it stops being fun? There is virtually nothing unique or new about Dragon Age compared to previous games. I would almost say in some ways that it is a step back. For example:

- The graphics are awful.
- A lot of the character animations are terrible and look like they just came straight from NWN. If Valve could nearly perfect this sort of stuff five years ago, how come Bioware can't do it now?
- Every dungeon feels like it's stretched about five times longer than it needs to be with fight after fight after fight just to extend the length of the quest.
- The difficulty balance is totally out of whack. One second you are raping everything you see on Normal difficulty and two fights into the same zone you are getting your ass handed to you on Easy.
- Some of the quests are retarded. "Go click on 5 doors in town". Oh boy, thats a really fun one.

I am enjoying the game thanks to some of the fights still being fun and a good story/characters but so far I have to say I'm dissapointed. I am looking forward much more to Mass Effect where we can actually play in a unique universe and with a better combat system.

I never expect much from a Bioware games graphics. And I'd hold off on calling ME 2's battle system better until we get out hands on that

[quote name='blueshinra']Is there a release date for North America yet? Could be that.

I know what you mean, though. Squeenix will often build up to a "big announcement", and it turns out to be nothing big at all.[/QUOTE]

Well, if it was the release date, they probably would've said it by now. Maybe dual audio tracks are back in on the PS3 NA disc, and on 360 as a big ass download? But of course, that download will be around 1.5-2 gigs.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I never expect much from a Bioware games graphics. And I'd hold off on calling ME 2's battle system better until we get out hands on that[/QUOTE]

I can't imagine that it would be that much changed from Mass Effect 1 and I enjoyed that combat system a lot (if you discount the vehicle combat).

EDIT: Additionally, Mass Effect looked great and had better animations and character models. I wish I knew why Dragon Age was such a step back in that respect as well from what Bioware has shown it can already do.

Currently playing Shadow Hearts: From the New World, one of many last-gen rpgs I've had in the queue.

It's a shame Nautilus is gone. FtNW is nowhere near as good as Covenant, but I'd love to see the series continued.

[quote name='SpecTrE3353']I can't imagine that it would be that much changed from Mass Effect 1 and I enjoyed that combat system a lot (if you discount the vehicle combat).[/QUOTE]
It better have changed alot since the battle system in ME was pretty bad. It looks like that problem SHOULD be fixed in the second game. But I'll wait until I get my hands on it to decide if it's better or not. Dragon Age's battle system isn't great, but it's far from bad.

I have more free time for the rest of the year! So since I beat Bayonetta I decided to dig back into my RPG backlog of games I never finished.

First off is Super Robot Wars OG Saga Endless Frontier... I put in 10 hours before I stopped playing some months ago.

it's still a real fun game and Im glad to finally have the time to commit to it and finish it!!

after that, I will go back and continue SMT Raido 2

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Who else is loving Dragon Age?[/QUOTE]

Dragon Age is amazingly awesome. I recently rerolled as a dwarf noble (was originally a human noble and have also completed the mage and dalish elf origins). I did so because
Morrigan kept clashing with my choices as the human noble, and she's the one I wanted to romance first, so when I tried the Dwarf Noble and instantly laughed my ass off at the great dialogue, such as "Kiss my ass", I knew I had to reroll. Claudia Black is awesome, so romancing Morrigan first was a no-brainer.

This is the first time I've really played a game with a tactical/command system as robust and indepth as this, and I really like it so far. It's nice being able to tell the NPCs in my party exactly what to do when I want them to do it, and not have to continually swap between them to make it happen.

I'm right at the end of Lost Odyssey. I really enjoyed the game and loved the old-school combat. I'm debating on starting Star Ocean: TLH or finishing FFXII

[quote name='Ryukahn']

This is the first time I've really played a game with a tactical/command system as robust and indepth as this, and I really like it so far. It's nice being able to tell the NPCs in my party exactly what to do when I want them to do it, and not have to continually swap between them to make it happen.[/QUOTE]

Is it on par with FFXII? Better, worse?

So no one has an opinion on Borderlands vs. Dragon Age? I think I'm leaning towards DA next.

[quote name='keithp']Is it on par with FFXII? Better, worse?

So no one has an opinion on Borderlands vs. Dragon Age? I think I'm leaning towards DA next.[/QUOTE]

Despite the slight RPG similarties, they are such different games that it's hard to give you advice. If I had to try:

If you want a game with very little story, FPS combat, cool looking graphics, easy difficulty and you have at LEAST one friend willing to play through the game twice with you, Borderlands is a good choice.

If you want a game with lots of quality story and characters, traditional Baldurs Gate/NWN RPG combat, shit graphics, moderate to hard difficulty and you have NO friends that you want to play games with, Dragon Age is a good choice.

[quote name='tbassett']I'm right at the end of Lost Odyssey. I really enjoyed the game and loved the old-school combat. I'm debating on starting Star Ocean: TLH or finishing FFXII[/QUOTE]
Yeah, LO is good. SO: TLH, not so much. I have yet to play the other rpg's on the system, aside from ToV, which reminds me of Grandia II a bit, but I don't feel compelled to play any others as they're all either crappy or just mediocre. :cry:

[quote name='keithp']Is it on par with FFXII? Better, worse?

So no one has an opinion on Borderlands vs. Dragon Age? I think I'm leaning towards DA next.[/QUOTE]
Don't really think FF12 is a good comparison.

Borderlands is like, Team Fortress (Cel Shaded Graphics/FPS), meets Diablo II (looting, XP, skills, online co-op with 4 people, different classes/roles, etc).

DA is like Baldurs Gate gameplay wise.

I'm finally went back to Tales of the Abyss. I'm gonna beat it!!! The part I'm at right now is a little boring since I've been running back and forth between towns for the last 5 hours. Anyways I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end.

Hope to start Fallout 3 tonight. Worst case this weekend.

Damn kids keep interfering with my game time.
It was supposed to get easier as they got older.

[quote name='JEKKI']First off is Super Robot Wars OG Saga Endless Frontier... I put in 10 hours before I stopped playing some months ago.[/QUOTE]
I have to get back to that sometime... maybe I'll take a break from Dragon Age and put some time into it later tonight. I must have only put 5 hours into it...

[quote name='Rodimus']I'm finally went back to Tales of the Abyss. I'm gonna beat it!!! The part I'm at right now is a little boring since I've been running back and forth between towns for the last 5 hours. Anyways I'm pretty sure I'm close to the end.[/QUOTE]
I keep saying I'll finish that one day... but at this point I'd have to start over.

Final Fantasy XIII has an ESRB rating of T. Um...I'm not sure if that means the game is done or not. But some are talking like it'll hit worldwide this year, and if it does that Square is pretty stupid considering they've been marketing it since E3 that it'd be Spring 2010.

I'm back at playing Disgaea DS since I really feel like beating (and one of my roommates has been going on a NISA RPG binge, watching him makes me want to play NISA RPGs too). I'm at 9 1/2 hours and at chapter 4-5. Need to grind a little bit since the boss is a few levels higher.

[quote name='Raconteur']

Don't really think FF12 is a good comparison.

Borderlands is like, Team Fortress (Cel Shaded Graphics/FPS), meets Diablo II (looting, XP, skills, online co-op with 4 people, different classes/roles, etc).

DA is like Baldurs Gate gameplay wise.[/QUOTE]

I was asking how the tactical command system in DA compares to the one in FFXII, since Ryukahn was raving about how robust and in depth it was?

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Hey Raconteur, where's that image in your sig from? It looks so familiar, but I can't put my finger on it.[/QUOTE]
I think it was a Primal Rage level, not 100% sure though. I used to have this as a sig though, and only just put it back up, so that may of been where you've seen it, unless you played said game. :)

[quote name='keithp']I was asking how the tactical command system in DA compares to the one in FFXII, since Ryukahn was raving about how robust and in depth it was?[/QUOTE]
Ah, my bad. Thought you meant the gameplay in general.

[quote name='keithp']I was asking how the tactical command system in DA compares to the one in FFXII, since Ryukahn was raving about how robust and in depth it was?[/QUOTE]
It's pretty similar to FFXII. You'll be able to set the AI to handle most situations. But much like 12 you'll want to keep a close eye on your party during the more intense battles. But you'll also want to take control of another character at times when you want to do certain things(Like combining spells or traps).

Bah, I'm outside the Tower of Magi again... I really wish I could skip it. I'm not looking forward to the mage spam when I get to the Fade again.

Well, keep in mind that the only thing close to this that I've actually played (at least that I can remember) is the really simple commands you can set up in Tales games. You know, the ones that you set and then the party members rarely even follow them. So yeah, compared to that this tactical system is amazing. Couldn't tell you how it measures up to other similar tactical systems though.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Seeing as how I don't own The Witcher, this is not feasible.[/QUOTE]

Seeing how the witcher is 13 dollars on amazon. I don't see a problem.

[quote name='TomJones4']Seeing how the witcher is 13 dollars on amazon. I don't see a problem.[/QUOTE]
Seeing as how I'm flat broke, I see it as a very big problem. :cry:

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Seeing as how I'm flat broke, I see it as a very big problem. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Your street corner is calling.

Just finnished the mages tower part of Dragon Age. Im loving the game so far but finding the difficulty seems to spike randomly. I took a beating from some of the possesed templars but finnished the final 2 boss fights with relative ease. Anyone else having a similar experience?

[quote name='johnmirra']Just finnished the mages tower part of Dragon Age. Im loving the game so far but finding the difficulty seems to spike randomly. I took a beating from some of the possesed templars but finnished the final 2 boss fights with relative ease. Anyone else having a similar experience?[/QUOTE]

The difficulty is very poorly balanced from what I've seen. I try to keep in on NORMAL most of the time so that fights are at least a challenge and so you actually have to be tactical with your AOE spells but every so often I'll run into a fight that is insane and I'll bump it down to EASY for a few minutes.

As far as the mage tower quest...
That quest felt so incredibly long. At least the sloth demon boss is a fun fight and you get Wynne at the end. I'm finding it's virtually impossible to play through this game on anything higher than EASY without at least one healing mage in your party so she is pretty mandatory to either have in party or to teach another mage the healing spec.

I didnt even know you could bump the difficulty down so i have been playing on normal the whole time. I think i may have died maybe 4 times during the whole quest but i used almost all of my 30+ potions soooo.. Im having fun so far

Wow, my guess was right. For those who hate links: FFXIII's North American release date was announced (it's March 9, 2010).

Just beat Super Paper Mario - really liked the switch from turn-based to action. Only have to beat Mario & Luigi 3 now and then I'll have played all the Mario RPGs.

Question for all you RPG aficionados. If you had these games to play for the first time, in which order would you tackle them?

Oblivion GoTY
Dragon Age Origins CE
Fallout 3 GoTY
Demon's Souls

These are listed in the order I was thinking of playing them. I'm trying to figure out how to rank them in the most enjoyable way - for example: if I play Dragon Age Origins before Oblivion, will Oblivion not be as much fun?

I was a pretty serious EQ / WoW player back in the day (high-level guild raids, etc), so I'm fully aware of the time commitment needed. ;) Thanks - your advice/input is appreciated!

bread's done
Back