$2.99 PSP Memory Stick Pro Duo Adapter(convert MicroSD to MS Pro Duo)

h3llbring3r

CAGiversary!
Feedback
58 (100%)
This is a great way to convert MicroSD cards (which are much cheaper and work in many more devices than the proprietary Sony Memory Sticks)

Great for PSP, Sony cameras, and camcorders that use the MS Pro Duo.

$2.99 shipped from meritline. (There shipping takes about 2 weeks, IME).
http://www.meritline.com/mcirosd-to-memory-stick-pro-duo-adapter---p-36770.aspx?

Also available at DX for less ($2.02 shipped):
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.30584

254-964.jpg
254-964_1_.jpg

Dual MicroSD to MS Pro Duo Adapter for $3.31 shipped
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.28826

Allows you to use two MicroSDs in one card.
sku_28826_2_small.jpg

Read testimonials below.

Last edited by a moderator:
You used this site before? I dunno about air mail shipping from china. It is very tempting though seeing as I just got a PSP.

[quote name='raarar']You used this site before? I dunno about air mail shipping from china. It is very tempting though seeing as I just got a PSP.[/QUOTE]
Yes, I have ordered some LED items, an IR camera remote and a few other items. Sometimes the ship a bulk package from China and the American store front splits it up and reships it, other times it is direct to you.
It usually takes 2 or sometimes up to 3 weeks. It is not a place to order from if you are in a hurry.

[quote name='Izod517']You can get the photofast 5400 from Amazon for $4.74 for dual or single micro SD. Which mutliple people on the boards have said they had great success with.

http://www.amazon.com/PhotoFast-CR-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258128253&sr=8-1

41ejceZH89L._SS400_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

A dual might be nice, it would be a cheap way to make 16GB with two 8s. Or even a 32 when the 16s drop.

Edit: Bah, add in shipping and it's $11. There goes your savings.

Sweet. Didn't know these existed. I got rid of my PSPs, but I still have a Sony digital camera that uses Pro Duo cards.

[quote name='h3llbring3r']A dual might be nice, it would be a cheap way to make 16GB with two 8s. Or even a 32 when the 16s drop.

Edit: Bah, add in shipping and it's $11. There goes your savings.[/QUOTE]

Well you can get it from dealxtreme.com for $4.74 shipped, if you don't mind waiting 3 weeks for China Airmail. Nice thing is that it works with one or two. Cheap 32GB. Of course there's a lot of nay-sayers on the board too about it not being an official sony product, but then again most people report no problems.

How well do these work really? I've got a 4GB MicroSD that I got for free with a CDRW drive purchase and I have no use for it. My PSP 2000 only has a 1GB stick. I'd like to up that if I knew it was going to be reliable.

[quote name='mtxbass1']How well do these work really? I've got a 4GB MicroSD that I got for free with a CDRW drive purchase and I have no use for it. My PSP 2000 only has a 1GB stick. I'd like to up that if I knew it was going to be reliable.[/QUOTE]

I've used them in several other formats with no problem (since all flash memory is essentially the same with some speed variables), the only complaints I have heard are people trying to playback 720p video in cameras. The same review states stick works in a PC fine for playback, but if you try and play the HD video back "in camera" it won't work.

I've had great success with my Nikon (and a friends) and some of these adapters. The read/write speed of similar devices seems to closely match that of the MicroSD cards you are using. In other words, it doesn't seem to bottleneck the through-put any.

So unless you are streaming HD video off it, I wouldn't worry.

The 2nd one posted, the Duo one, I've been using non-stop.

Works great, fast if you have a good class 6 card to install.

music photos and games, haven't had an issue yet.

[quote name='xycury']The 2nd one posted, the Duo one, I've been using non-stop.

Works great, fast if you have a good class 6 card to install.

music photos and games, haven't had an issue yet.[/QUOTE]

Nice, I am going to link the DX dual one in the OP.

I have one of these buggers for my PSP. It works like dynamite. Be sure to format it in the thing though, and to have two cards, or no dice.

Also, buy mine. :p

Yah, I've placed a few orders from DealExtreme and actually had no problems. Bought this adapter too, and other than the fact that there's definitely longer read times to load videos/music folders, it works spectacular and lets you get away from that silly memory format in favor of a cheaper one.

[quote name='berzirk'] silly memory format in favor of a cheaper one.[/QUOTE]

Silly is a generous way to put it. I have other words but I'll keep them to myself.

I would HIGHLY recommend the photofast 5400 from DealExtreme. I bought one played around with it and immediately saw it had no magicgate support. So I never bothered putting any purchased games from the sony store on it. It did work flawlessly for Mp3 and Movies.

Well I was trying to get some homebrew to run on my official Sony memory stick I got from staples which said it had magic gate support in the menu of the PSP. Wouldn't allow me to install the software in XP in the official sony memory stick. I didn't think it could possibly work on this dual micro sd memory stick adapter, it said that all over the forums. But I tried and couldn't believe it worked perfectly on this hacked adapter. Then I tried downloading items purchased directly from the sony store and everything worked flawlessly even though the Dual micro SD says it does not have MagicGate support when you check on the PSP.

This was tried on my stock firmware PSP 2000 your mileage may vary. The Dual Adaptor is really woth it's weight in gold. Micro SD cards are a helleva lot more useful and cheaper than proprietary sony crap.

[quote name='Izod517']You can get the photofast 5400 from Amazon for $4.74 for dual or single micro SD. Which mutliple people on the boards have said they had great success with.

http://www.amazon.com/PhotoFast-CR-...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258128253&sr=8-1

41ejceZH89L._SS400_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

so basically if I use this dual adapter, that means if i have 2 micro sd cards, one being 1GB in capacity, and the other one being 2GB in capacity, once i put both of theese into this dual adapter and stick it into the PSP, the PSP is going to recognize is it as 3gb of memory in total? or am i missing something?

[quote name='Video-Gamer']so basically if I use this dual adapter, that means if i have 2 micro sd cards, one being 1GB in capacity, and the other one being 2GB in capacity, once i put both of theese into this dual adapter and stick it into the PSP, the PSP is going to recognize is it as 3gb of memory in total? or am i missing something?[/QUOTE]

yea thats right. but itd make sense to use two 8 gigs or two 16 gigs.

anyone use this for loading ISO on PSP? I have a bootleg pro duo and most isos load and play fine but when they are like 1 gig or more, the lag is ridiculous.

[quote name='snives']I believe I've read you need to use two, but I haven't had a chance to try one out myself yet.[/QUOTE]

its okay, I just read some info it says you can use one micro sd card as well as long as you put it in the the 1st slot.

Any way, thanks for this thread, i ordered the dual one from DX.
Wish I knew about this before other wise I wouldnt buy the 2gb memory stick for 10 and the 1 gig for 5.
sucks.... lol

So has anyone tried this on a PSP 3000?

I'd like to be able to download PS Store games on it....

Thanks.

[quote name='FuzyBaffy']I would HIGHLY recommend the photofast 5400 from DealExtreme. I bought one played around with it and immediately saw it had no magicgate support. So I never bothered putting any purchased games from the sony store on it. It did work flawlessly for Mp3 and Movies.

Well I was trying to get some homebrew to run on my official Sony memory stick I got from staples which said it had magic gate support in the menu of the PSP. Wouldn't allow me to install the software in XP in the official sony memory stick. I didn't think it could possibly work on this dual micro sd memory stick adapter, it said that all over the forums. But I tried and couldn't believe it worked perfectly on this hacked adapter. Then I tried downloading items purchased directly from the sony store and everything worked flawlessly even though the Dual micro SD says it does not have MagicGate support when you check on the PSP.

This was tried on my stock firmware PSP 2000 your mileage may vary. The Dual Adaptor is really woth it's weight in gold. Micro SD cards are a helleva lot more useful and cheaper than proprietary sony crap.[/QUOTE]

I bought one of these this summer from Dealextreme and it works like a charm. I bought two 16gb micro cards from Frys.com for about $35 each after rebates and have been rocking with a 32gb set up since about June. I was able to fit my entire collection of 30 something odd psp games onto this one memory stick and carry them around with me everywhere my psp goes. Games load up and play quickly with no problems, though I chose to rip my games as ISOs and not crappy compressed CSOs. All in all, an excellent set-up and to hell with psp go.

I bought one of these a few weeks back and I've had issues with it. I bought it specifically to use with a digital camera and the camera won't recognize it. It works just fine in my PC but the camera gives me format error every time whether I format it via the camera or PC.

Thought I'd throw in my two cents. I bought the Photofast 2-MicroSD adapter last May from DealExtreme and it continually had issues with not recognizing the card, recognizing the card when the system came on and then not recognizing it after the system had been in Hold for any amount of time, and sometimes not recognizing the card in Slot 2 (which would really screw things up since it's supposed to read Slot's 1 and 2 as one card).

I was determined however and purchased two more from an Amazon reseller called "ETech". The first one worked like a charm... in slot 1. It did everything it advertised but would not read the card in slot 2 even after continual reformats. The second ETech purchased Photofast adapter however worked perfectly. In fact it still works today. I'm using it with two 16GB MicroSD cards and am currently the very satisfied owner of a 32GB PSP 2000. Eat your heart out PSP Go.

The card functions perfectly and behaves in everyway like a MSProDuo. The only thing it's a little slow on is populating the list of available video's on the card. Other than that it reads and writes just as fast as any other MS on the market you could throw in your PSP.

Word to the wise: DO NOT pick these up by anywhere other than the edges. They are insanely fragile, any small amount of force on the area the MicroSD cards plug in to will eff these adapters up. I believe that was what lead to the ruin of my first adapter. Still don't trust DealExtreme though and thoroughly believe it's worth paying the extra $6 for shipping from Amazon since DealExtreme is known for cheap Chinese knockoffs (and you don't want a cheap Chinese knockoff of a cheap Chinese memory stick adapter) and the adapters I recieved from ETech came packaged much more securely.

[quote name='Izod517']Some people have but that's not really a discussion for CAG, so, take it elsewhere.[/QUOTE]
yes sir mr hall monitor.

thanks for the inputs from others, i will buy this but from another retailer for use on the psp

Just letting you know douchebag. Obviously you haven't found out that mods frown on that type of discussion, that or you're just ignoring it.

I have heard the stories of the fragile nature and reliability issues of this setup. I for one would not risk my games or saves to use this.

I have a 16gb Sony and when the 32gb comes down I will get that one (currently $199). The 16gb are about $65 right now.

[quote name='Nephilim']I have heard the stories of the fragile nature and reliability issues of this setup. I for one would not risk my games or saves to use this.

I have a 16gb Sony and when the 32gb comes down I will get that one (currently $199). The 16gb are about $65 right now.[/QUOTE]

The only thing fragile are the adapters themselves, the microSD cards are very hardy- And for a few dollars the adapters are easily replaced; add that to not having a pretty useless proprietary card format (that keeps getting changed and outmoded) and it is definitely worth it.

[quote name='chsty']Is Meritline a good vendor?[/QUOTE]

I've had no issues with Meritline. Only their shipping tends to take a while since it's coming from overseas.

[quote name='Rictor']Sweet. Didn't know these existed. I got rid of my PSPs, but I still have a Sony digital camera that uses Pro Duo cards.[/QUOTE]

I didnt know these existed either!!!!! Very cool! Thanks OP!

I have the Photofast 5400 with a pair of 8gb micro sds in it. Works great in my PSP 3000.

Really can't say enough positive things. Far cheaper than buying the official Sony product. So much cheaper, in fact, that it negates any worry I might have over the adapter being a little flimsy: I can buy another for just a few dollars.

meh the price difference on amazon between micro sd and pro duo isnt enough to warrant rigging two cards together with this thing. I can vouch for dealextremes honesty though. I've bought a few things from them in the past and everything arrived in perfect condition and it was always exactly what I ordered.

bread's done
Back