neo fami NES clone console

[quote name='Mookyjooky']http://search.ebay.com/nes-top-loader_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZunknown[/quote]

yep, i know it's on eBay... that's from where i'm thinking of getting it.
i was instead looking for more consumer reports input. any caveats, etc...
but thanks.

The only downside is that the controllers are the standard 9-pin Genesis type, meaning that the Zapper and other accessories will not work... yet. Game Soft will have a controlelr adaptor cable available soon to allow the Zapper and others to work(and as a side note to anyone still playing Gyromite, these controllers will not fit in the cradle, so you may want to wait for that adaptor). And while the NES controller adaptor has yet to see release, those wishing to play Zapper games will be able to use the gun from the Super Joy III. Though any Famiclone gun that uses the 9-pin connector should work as easily(though I have no way of knowing whether each gun works or not).
The downside is you can't use any of your favorite NES controllers. But it looks like they gave it a good review on the site you posted.

I briefly used one. Once I got everything situated, it worked on the first try. The thing was, I didn't look at the instructions, so I didn't see that with the US adaptor, the games have to go in backwards. Also, while everything fit, they were real loose. It was a tight fit, but the design of the system allowed for a lot of wobble room, and considering that the US carts will be sticking all the way out (because the adaptor fits pretty flush with the top of the system), it is a possible hazard. And as someone else said, it uses its own type of controller port, so no guns, multitaps, or your own controllers. Also, I thought it was kinda fugly with its blue on light, and I do like the color blue. That could just be me though. :)

IMO, I would prefer the NES. However, the Neo Fami is a solid alternative.

I have one, it's pretty nice. The carts work first try 95% of the time. The only real problem is that you can't use the old NES controllers.

[quote name='drae']I briefly used one. Once I got everything situated, it worked on the first try. The thing was, I didn't look at the instructions, so I didn't see that with the US adaptor, the games have to go in backwards. Also, while everything fit, they were real loose. It was a tight fit, but the design of the system allowed for a lot of wobble room, and considering that the US carts will be sticking all the way out (because the adaptor fits pretty flush with the top of the system), it is a possible hazard. And as someone else said, it uses its own type of controller port, so no guns, multitaps, or your own controllers. Also, I thought it was kinda fugly with its blue on light, and I do like the color blue. That could just be me though. :)

IMO, I would prefer the NES. However, the Neo Fami is a solid alternative.[/quote]

huh, wobbly in that the unit might tip over due to small base, or wobbly with respect to the cart connection with the machine? if it's the second, then it seems it would suffer a similar connector fate as the original....

[quote name='rockhero']I have one, it's pretty nice. The carts work first try 95% of the time. The only real problem is that you can't use the old NES controllers.[/quote]

huh, no port adapters available? suspect...

[quote name='BuckWalters'][quote name='drae']I briefly used one. Once I got everything situated, it worked on the first try. The thing was, I didn't look at the instructions, so I didn't see that with the US adaptor, the games have to go in backwards. Also, while everything fit, they were real loose. It was a tight fit, but the design of the system allowed for a lot of wobble room, and considering that the US carts will be sticking all the way out (because the adaptor fits pretty flush with the top of the system), it is a possible hazard. And as someone else said, it uses its own type of controller port, so no guns, multitaps, or your own controllers. Also, I thought it was kinda fugly with its blue on light, and I do like the color blue. That could just be me though. :)

IMO, I would prefer the NES. However, the Neo Fami is a solid alternative.[/quote]

huh, wobbly in that the unit might tip over due to small base, or wobbly with respect to the cart connection with the machine? if it's the second, then it seems it would suffer a similar connector fate as the original....[/quote]

Wobbly in the sense that the carts have room to wobble because the only thing holding them in place is where they are connected to the adaptor. Don't get me wrong though, they fit in real snug, and it won't slide around in the adaptor. However, the cart can easily be wobbled back and forth without disturbing its connection. This is because no matter how good the connection is, there is nothing to give support to the rest of the cart.

[quote name='BuckWalters'][quote name='Mookyjooky']http://search.ebay.com/nes-top-loader_W0QQbsZSearchQQcatrefZC6QQfromZR10QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQsbrftogZ1QQsofocusZunknown[/quote]

yep, i know it's on eBay... that's from where i'm thinking of getting it.
i was instead looking for more consumer reports input. any caveats, etc...
but thanks.[/quote]

I was actually pointing more towards the clones. I've got one, they rock.

Has anyone ordered from Estarland or BaySoftGames? What's been your experience?

My NES (a front-loader) I fear is on its last legs, so if this system is a nice one, it'd make a good replacement if/when my NES dies.

[quote name='Alien Spider']Has anyone ordered from Estarland or BaySoftGames? What's been your experience?

My NES (a front-loader) I fear is on its last legs, so if this system is a nice one, it'd make a good replacement if/when my NES dies.[/quote]

Never heard of baysoftgames, but EStarland is pretty great. I've ordered from them on more than one occasion with no problems whatsoever.

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell'][quote name='Alien Spider']Has anyone ordered from Estarland or BaySoftGames? What's been your experience?

My NES (a front-loader) I fear is on its last legs, so if this system is a nice one, it'd make a good replacement if/when my NES dies.[/quote]

Never heard of baysoftgames, but EStarland is pretty great. I've ordered from them on more than one occasion with no problems whatsoever.[/quote]

i'm going to order from baysoft now... i'll let you know if my bank account gets raped.
cradle-rock style.

[quote name='"BuckWalters"'][quote name='"Duo_Maxwell"'][quote name='Alien Spider']Has anyone ordered from Estarland or BaySoftGames? What's been your experience?

i'm going to order from baysoft now... i'll let you know if my bank account gets raped.
cradle-rock style.[/quote]

update on baySoftGames:

i just received my NeoFami clone system. ordered it thursday after 5 pm PT, and it arrived at work yesterday afternoon. everything was in order and seems to be rocknroll-o. i just took it for a spin with 2 suspect carts, "karnov" and "legendary wings"... works brilliantly with both.

the console itself is slightly mickymouse, but i can't imagine getting a clone machine that's terribly significant. biggest issue: the converter from fami to NES is problematic... you have to take it out of the machine in order to dislodge the cartridge. but at least it's a tight fit.

and yes, that's what she said. zing.

[quote name='BuckWalters']update on baySoftGames:

i just received my NeoFami clone system. ordered it thursday after 5 pm PT, and it arrived at work yesterday afternoon. everything was in order and seems to be rocknroll-o. i just took it for a spin with 2 suspect carts, "karnov" and "legendary wings"... works brilliantly with both.

the console itself is slightly mickymouse, but i can't imagine getting a clone machine that's terribly significant. biggest issue: the converter from fami to NES is problematic... you have to take it out of the machine in order to dislodge the cartridge. but at least it's a tight fit.

and yes, that's what she said. zing.[/quote]

I'm glad to hear that someone is having good fortune with one of these. I got one from a family member for my B-day recently, but with all the good games available for the current systems (RE4, KOTOR2, MGS3, etc.), I haven't had a chance to fire up some old-school game play on it yet. I'll have to try this out soon when I find a break from the current day games.

Hey, my first post:

I found this searching online for Neo-Fami info, particularly regarding controller port adapters.

I've never used the system myself, but trying to order one, I came up with this beaut:

Family Boy review

Besides the name, it's a great clone. Another one to think about. Only thing is, the diagonals on the controller suck and I'd like to get a controller adapter.

i got mine from www.toysnjoys.com for $30+ shipping. It is a good purchase but I have a couple of complaints:

the controller feels a bit flimsy, and as mentioned no nes original controllers will work.

The color pallete on some of the games just looks a bit off(i notice this on mario 3, and megaman 2 and 3). it looks better than a shitty toploader since they can only use an rf switch, but not a good as a NES sideloader.

the one thing that this has over a sideloader is that there is no blinking screen to worry about since the system is top loading.

I ordered a Neo-Fami from toysnjoys.com. Their prices are excellent, but it took them a month, and they delivered the wrong system (the aforementioned Family Boy). After many unrequited phone calls and emails, I was shocked to see something in the mail. I was especially irked after paying for 2nd day air. I did eventually get in touch with them, but only after I received the wrong system. They refused to refund my shipping. Their prices are fabulous, but use them with caution. I decided to keep the other clone just because I didn't want to deal with them.

bread's done
Back