Assassin's Creed II - Out Now

FriskyTanuki

CAGiversary!
Feedback
36 (100%)
4095670813_0c1b039db1_m.jpg

Assassin's Creed II is an epic story of brotherhood, vengeance and conspiracy set in the pristine, yet brutal backdrop of 15th century Renaissance Italy. Our new hero, Ezio Auditore da Firenze, befriends Leonardo da Vinci, takes on Florence's most powerful families and ventures throughout the canals of Venice where he learns to become a Master Assassin.

• Open-world mission structure with immense variety
  • Utilize an arsenal of weapons and gadgets designed by Leonardo da Vinci
  • Purchase weapons, upgrades and favors from crowd using a new economic system
  • Unlock and share exclusive content when you connect Assassin's Creed II on PS3® to Assassin's Creed: Bloodlines on PSP®
This also marks the start of the Uplay system that Ubisoft is pushing, which is kind of like the EA Sports Bio if you played any EA Sports games between 2004 and 2005. It gives you credits for accomplishing four tasks within the game that can be spent on in-game and out-of-game items, though you get a quick 10 points for logging in that you can spend on a quick ACII theme. Ruse is their next game that will support this, if you're wondering.

Actions:
Welcome to Animus 2.0 - 10 points
Undertaker - 20 points
Bleeding Effect - 30 points
An Old Friend Returns - 40 points

Rewards:
Assassin's Creed II Theme - 10 points
Additional Throwing Knives - 20 points
Altair Outfit - 30 points
Uplay Exclusive Map - 40 points

i haven't popped in AC2 yet because i started playing the psp version. Does anybody know what the advantage of linking the psp to the ps3 is?

[quote name='asthmatic']i haven't popped in AC2 yet because i started playing the psp version. Does anybody know what the advantage of linking the psp to the ps3 is?[/QUOTE]
I heard that the PS3 version can access weapons that were unlocked in the PSP game.

[quote name='smiggity']SO what are CAG impressions on this? Big improvements over the original, which was boring IMO?? Any online functions?[/QUOTE]
ACII is everything the original should have been, despite being plagued by the same unresponsive controls and horrible camera. It's leaps and bounds above the original in terms of content, though. There's plenty of things to do this time around, but it does get tedious when you enter a new province and want to start collecting everything from the area. Having played the first one entirely, we go from almost nothing to do but finding flags to collecting feathers, treasures, glyphs, sigils (from tombs), and of course viewpoints. This can be overwhelming in some places and definitely a chore if you're trying to gather everything.

Back to controls and camera, I can't imagine why this hasn't been ironed out yet. They go hand in hand, but the camera is terrible at correcting the direction you want to go and can result in making blind leaps, slowing you down (which if you're chasing someone can completely fuck you up), or simply force the character to do something you never intended. The game is supposed to be fast paced but the camera often just can't keep up.

The controls are just awful. I've never struggled so much to just try and get my character to reach out and grab a fucking windowsill, ledge, or crevice that's literally inches from them (and no, I'm not talking about the stuff that's supposed to be out of reach). And why in the hell doesn't Ezio automatically attempt to grab ledges after a major leap? This guy has a serious deathwish because you actually have to hold down a button for common sense. I can't count how many times I've still fallen because I was uncertain if he would grab or not. Sometimes I'd press the button thinking it was too far a leap and the motherfucker would drop AFTER grabbing the ledge. Uncharted has my absolute praise for having such a smart system that does this seemlessly.

Once again, controls ruin combat as well. Batman: AA is so good at doing counters, it's maddening that ACII fails at even the basics. For starters, there's an absolute tiny window of opportunity to counter and if you miss it you're either getting hit or just deflecting the attack. I love skill-based systems, but this game can just make you feel stupid due to the variance of timing with each different attack animation. I can't believe I'm saying this, but you can't counter from behind. Your attacker MUST be in the cone in front of you or you'll be hit every time. With time and practice you can master the system, but it's just not a fun combat system at the core.

Assassination attempts will likely have you pulling your hair out because if the target is running, elevated above you, or anything other than static -- 9 times out of 10 the killing blow will not go off. I've had targets who just run up something and jump down, then run up it again playing cat and mouse with me. There's not a damn thing you can do unless you just use a throwing knife (but where's the fun in that) or wait until they're done being retarded, then give chase again (usually meaning you give them a headstart; not fun). Let me tell you: the AI is not smart, it's just all the bad game design choices against you.

I hate the fact that the game is so frustrating because it's actually really awesome otherwise. My biggest complaint overall is that because the game was designed for fast-paced action, it's far too unforgiving when you make the slightest mistake. It's not that the game is hard (and honestly if you die in this game, you're just bad), it's the fact that there's less moments of feeling like a badass assassin and more like watching two virgins trying to have sex. It's clumsy, just bad to watch, and only has those brief few moments of pleasure.

TL;DR. Buy it, love it, and be prepared to throw your controller when Ezio jumps the wrong way for the millionth time.

[quote name='smiggity']SO what are CAG impressions on this? Big improvements over the original, which was boring IMO?? Any online functions?[/QUOTE]

I've not actually played the game but am hoping to have it before Christmas.

From the reviews I've seen of the game, it is pretty impressive. But I would have expected it to be. AC wasn't the greatest game ever, but it wasn't the worst either. What AC lacked AC2 has made up for.

Nice range of weapons as well.

Quick question...

If an enemy disarms your weapon and you can't pick it up again (like say....it fell into the water -_-), is it lost forever? A very expensive sword was knocked out while I was fighting on a boat and it fell into the water and couldn't retrieve it...

I'd imagine that it'll be in your villa when you return, as I can't see them being that harsh about the disarming system.

I really like the out-of-city experience much more here since there are large areas to explore outside of the city and I can easily fast travel between cities if I don't want to ride over there myself.

Just got my first platinum trophy with this game. Most were pretty easy, but I did need maps to pick up all the feathers and glyphs, as I was missing 55 feathers and 6 glyphs by the time I was done.

I think it was a huge improvement over the original, and while it did have a few issues, nothing was game breaking.

Started playing this yesterday- and I have to say it's a lot better than 1.

I realized when I was playing AC2 that the things I hated most about 1 were that I didn't care about the characters or the story (aside from the modern day aspect of the story which wasn't enough of the package to help out).

The characters in this game are likable, and entertaining.

I'm on memory sequence 11 and I'm REALLY digging this game.

I know it's been said time and time again- but it's amazing how much better than AC1 this game really is.

The characters, story, missions, side quests, etc. are all done so much better than the first game that it almost makes you wonder why it wasn't done right in the first place.

[quote name='DF3']I was wondering if you need to play AC1 to understand the story.[/QUOTE]

You could get away with starting with AC2, but I wouldn't recommend it, as AC1 is much more repetitive. You should start with that, and then you'll HAVE to play AC2.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Just got my first platinum trophy with this game. Most were pretty easy, but I did need maps to pick up all the feathers and glyphs, as I was missing 55 feathers and 6 glyphs by the time I was done. I'll probably play through the game again sometime in the not too distant future, hopefully getting both, but it's annoying, considering I have something like 300k florins on my first playthrough now, with a 20-minute interval income of 30k florins.

I think it was a huge improvement over the original, and while it did have a few issues, nothing was game breaking.[/QUOTE]

I'm two trophies from a Platinum. Interestingly enough, I opened this thread to see if anyone has been having trophy acquisition problems. I gave FAR more than 5000 florins to courtesans, yet no trophy. I've also beat the game, yet according to my trophies I haven't completed Sequence 7.

For the game itself, I have to agree with both you and Jodou. The game had a myriad of improvements, from the multiple ways you can assassinate somebody, to the armor, weapons, and ease of use (fast travel stations).

My only major complaint is that the combat, and in some cases the platforming, seems incredibly sluggish. Enemies take so long to attack you, and later on they just block EVERYTHING so that you have to goad them into attacking. It makes forced combat sessions so annoying. I also had to try multiple times in a few sections, namely crypts, for platforming just because the camera decided not to be cooperative, or it registered me jumping at an angle when I was really just jumping straight.

Jodou hit so many of my high points in terms of things that bugged me. Whenever I would stumble across one of those couriers or pickpockets, if I didn't catch them in the first 5-10 seconds, I could pretty well forget about catching them, as pursuing them on rooftops usually led to me just taking damage and losing the target.

Also, I'm aware that the game is set in Italy, but you'd think they would have set the Subtitles to automatically be ON, considering how much Italian appears in the game. Nothing really game-breaking is said, but I still like to have a clue what the characters are saying.

[quote name='Nirron']Also, I'm aware that the game is set in Italy, but you'd think they would have set the Subtitles to automatically be ON, considering how much Italian appears in the game. Nothing really game-breaking is said, but I still like to have a clue what the characters are saying.[/QUOTE]
I wondered about that! Is what they're saying actually revealed with subtitles on? If nothing else, the times they do speak Italian should automatically have subtitles IMO. Can't imagine what they were thinking.

[quote name='Jodou']I wondered about that! Is what they're saying actually revealed with subtitles on? If nothing else, the times they do speak Italian should automatically have subtitles IMO. Can't imagine what they were thinking.[/QUOTE]

It does. At the very least they should do it for the assassination stuff. What they do is show the Italian in the subtitles and then the English in parentheses. Ex. Requiescat en Pace (Rest in Peace).

There are some interesting ones as well, where they apparently drop the F bomb and imply that someone enjoys sucking on genitalia.

[quote name='Nirron']It does. At the very least they should do it for the assassination stuff. What they do is show the Italian in the subtitles and then the English in parentheses. Ex. Requiescat en Pace (Rest in Peace).[/QUOTE]
I feel kind of cheated now, because I hate subtitles for anything other than Anime. I just figured it was of little consequence, like movies often do where you're not missing anything important.

Patch notes:

Fixed: Situation specific bugs

• Glyph
    After the player has resolved a glyph (when the unlock code message appears), if the player presses A and B (for 360, X and O on PS3) repeatedly and quickly, the video will appear in full screen, and he will get stuck in "the truth menu".
  • Fast Travel
    Some feedback states that Ezio loses the ability to interact with the fast travel stations.
  • Free roaming/Parkour
    In extremely rare occasions a bug allows Ezio to walk on air.
  • Auditore Cape
    When first equipping or re-equipping the Auditore cape, users in the Villa become notorious even if the cape description says otherwise.
  • Altair's armour
    While wearing Altair's armour the game crashes when performing multiple consecutive double assassinations.
  • Toscana
    The game occasionally crashes if the player dies in Toscana, the player is stuck in the animus loading screen.
  • Water
    Ezio and NPCs may get stuck beneath map if pushed in water.
  • Animus Loading Screen
    There were reports of the game crashing while the player is in the Animus loading screen
Fixed: Mission specific issues
  • Sequence 05 Mission 01
    The game froze after completing the mission and following certain steps.
  • Sequence 06 Mission 02
    An extremely rare issue could make the game freeze while Ezio is fighting the guards.
  • Sequence 07 Mission 02
    Sometimes the civilians knocked down by Rosa could "float".
  • Sequence 07 Mission 07
    When the user is in an open conflict, under specific situations the game crashed.
  • Sequence 08 "Venezia"
    If a player desynchronises during the flying machine sequence, the player sometimes spawned near Leo's workshop and not on the tower.
  • Secret Location: "Vizitatione"
    The user remains stuck after locking onto the agile guard with the gun.
  • Sequence 11 Mission 05
    The user cannot continue gameplay after quitting and loading the game. They are stuck in the hideout.
  • Sequence 14 Mission 02
    The user falls through the texture if he is hit with rocks by the guards while climbing
Sound enhancement:
  • 5.1 LPCM support

[quote name='asthmatic']i haven't popped in AC2 yet because i started playing the psp version. Does anybody know what the advantage of linking the psp to the ps3 is?[/QUOTE]

for the ps3, you receive the psp's boss's weapons and your money transfers over. I forgot what the psp receives from the ps3.

To the guys talking about the subs for the Italian, I think that they set them off automatically so that it would immerse you in the experience. For instance, when they say something in Italian at some points, my brain is kind of like, "Oh, if I were in that situation, I would have said ________________." I believe that was they're intention. Also, it keeps it more authentic.

the psp/ps3 connectivity is kind of lame.. I mean- there is NO shortage of money in this game..

Is the boss's weapon a staff? That'd be the only reason I'd do it.

Anyway-- i beat this tonight.. It was awesome.

[quote name='Shockdrop']So, for those who preordered it, what are the extra maps? What's inside?

Also, templar lairs: Where are they?[/QUOTE]

Templar lair is just another way of describing the hidden tombs. They're the same ones with the
seals to unlock Altair's armor

Also, I seriously hate this model of pre-order DLC. I mean, I do blame myself for not getting the Palazzo Medici from GameStop, but Best Buy apparently had some shipyard too, along with the GS exclusive Master Assassin edition having two more areas. I got the regular game for $35 new though, so I really can't complain (ok well I can obviously, but maybe not TOO much :lol:)

The thing is, they actually count as part of the DNA sync. The only blank DNA I have left in the game are from those three areas. Luckily I read that they're coming out with those maps later on as DLC. Only question that remains is HOW long it will take.

Quick observation/question for those who are playing/have finished the game: Did anyone else find it funny how Ezio seems to be the only one in all of Italy who took swimming lessons? The second anyone else hits the water, they're considered dead/incapacitated/whatever, but Ezio perseveres against the dreaded foe of water.

[quote name='Nirron']Templar lair is just another way of describing the hidden tombs. They're the same ones with the
seals to unlock Altair's armor
[/quote]

Then why is there a seperate filter option on the minimap for them? Assassin Tombs show up as 'A's, but Templar lairs are supposed to be crosses (least as I see. Damn standard TV...)

Quick observation/question for those who are playing/have finished the game: Did anyone else find it funny how Ezio seems to be the only one in all of Italy who took swimming lessons? The second anyone else hits the water, they're considered dead/incapacitated/whatever, but Ezio perseveres against the dreaded foe of water.
Yeah, I did notice that. Though you can use it to your advantage sometimes. Stupid guards, hahaha!

I'm finishing up Sequence 10 right now at just over 30 hours of play. This game is massive! I'm 14 feathers short of 100, have all but one available treasure (one area in Venice hasn't been unlocked yet) and just finished assembling The Truth tonight.

The only Trophies I have remaining are for finishing the remaining four parts of the story, collect all the feathers, wear the Auditore cape in every city and dye my outfit the Wetland colors. Looks like AC2 will be my first platinum.

[quote name='Shockdrop']Then why is there a seperate filter option on the minimap for them? Assassin Tombs show up as 'A's, but Templar lairs are supposed to be crosses (least as I see. Damn standard TV...)
[/QUOTE]

Ah I never noticed that there was a separate filter. Since there were always a HELL of a lot of Templars in the tombs, it made sense that they were synonyms.

I did a quick search and, after reading through about 5 threads of people asking the same question and nobody knowing, I stumbled across the answer that apparently Templar Lairs are the stuff from the Black/Master Assassin version of the game. Nice of them to leave the filter in the game, but only initially give access to the actual areas to people with a special edition.

@thelonepig: Consider yourself lucky with the trophies. There have been so many reports of trophies just refusing to show up, when the person has obviously done it. A lot of the time I see it, it seems to be specific sections. Heck, I finished the game (95% trophies right now) and spent well over 10,000 florins on courtesans, yet I still have the 5000 florin on courtesans trophy and for some reason I apparently never finished Sequence 7 (though 1-6 and 8-14 are there)

[quote name='Nirron']@thelonepig: Consider yourself lucky with the trophies. There have been so many reports of trophies just refusing to show up, when the person has obviously done it. A lot of the time I see it, it seems to be specific sections. Heck, I finished the game (95% trophies right now) and spent well over 10,000 florins on courtesans, yet I still have the 5000 florin on courtesans trophy and for some reason I apparently never finished Sequence 7 (though 1-6 and 8-14 are there)[/QUOTE]

Indeed, I will count myself lucky. I did have to complete the Messer Sandman trophy two or three times before it actually registered.

Now if I can only get my trophies to sync instead of holding up at 10%...

[quote name='thelonepig']Indeed, I will count myself lucky. I did have to complete the Messer Sandman trophy two or three times before it actually registered.[/QUOTE]
That's because it has to be exactly four and they have to get stunned rather than just stagger. Pretty stupid TBH.

[quote name='Jodou']That's because it has to be exactly four and they have to get stunned rather than just stagger. Pretty stupid TBH.[/QUOTE]

My trophies seem to trigger really slow on this game compared to others.. There is so long of a delay that often times, i assume it didn't work, or i did something wrong.

Question about the end for those that beat it--

During the credits, when you and Lucy are fighting those guys-- she appears "Gold" if you use your eagle vision. That would indicate that she's a target.

Is the game trying to tell us that she is ACTUALLY a bad guy who was undercover as an undercover operative?! Or is it in reference to the strange Acre flash back where Altair fuck'ed that gold target?

probably the second thing. The first is highly doubtful, as it would complicate a plot that's pretty far out there to begin with.

I just beat the game. I'm a little disappointed with the achievement system. I was going to go back and try to get 100% but I just realize I missed the fly swatter achievement and there's no way in hell I'm going go play this game over. Now I've lost interest in completing the game.

[quote name='saiyajinsc']I just beat the game. I'm a little disappointed with the achievement system. I was going to go back and try to get 100% but I just realize I missed the fly swatter achievement and there's no way in hell I'm going go play this game over. Now I've lost interest in completing the game.[/QUOTE]

That sucks.. I thought it was dumb that they didn't set up a place where you could access that contraption AFTER that part of the game, or after you beat it..

Just FYI-- i always check PS3Trophies.org before starting a game to see what trophies that can be missed, or see if there is some big decisions I should make early on in a game to make sure that I can get my platinum trophy.

I have ~53 feathers, and can't find the enthusiasm to track down the rest (even w/ a map). Is there any in-game way to see where the feathers are (ala Riddler's Puzzles in Arkham Asylum?)

[quote name='Ecofreak']I have ~53 feathers, and can't find the enthusiasm to track down the rest (even w/ a map). Is there any in-game way to see where the feathers are (ala Riddler's Puzzles in Arkham Asylum?)[/QUOTE]

No- but if you go to the DNA menu, you can see how many feathers you've collected in each district.

They really should include something like that in one of the DLC packs. (I heard that's what they are going to do for Brutal Legend).

For feathers, I highly recommend the GamesRadar Feather/Treasure locations guide (here). Not only do they show you where on the general map to find the feathers, but if you need it they also have screenshots showing the layout of the area it's in (whether it's on a pole, near the river, etc)

[quote name='ShackNews']'The Battle of Forli' arrives at the end of January, inserting Ezio into the historical battle to defend the city of Forli from the Orsi Family, while the end of February sees him learning a new "spring-jump" move as he foils book-burning monk Savonarola in 'Bonfire of the Vanities.' Reports floating around peg the packs at $3.99 and $4.99 respectively.[/quote]Source

Think I'll pass since I see no value in paying $9 for a couple hours of gameplay never to be used again.

i never played the first one, so im new to the series but i think this game is kinda boring. with everyone saying how this is a huge improvement over the first one, id really hate to play that game.

maybe its cuz im getting all the feathers and glyphs in a certain area before progressing the story, but still even in the story i feel kinda bored. plus the controls are making me wish i was playing uncharted 2 again. so many times ive fallen to my death/take damage cuz he jumped some way i didnt want him to. ill still plat it though. itll be my 20th.

I'm having a lot of fun with this game. I'm actually enjoying it much more than Uncharted 2. Finding the feathers and glyphs is a pain in the ass though. I would get the DLC if they released it now, but I probably won't have any desire to do so in a month or two when they're released.

[quote name='BackInBlack']You could get away with starting with AC2, but I wouldn't recommend it, as AC1 is much more repetitive. You should start with that, and then you'll HAVE to play AC2.[/QUOTE]
Well you were right. The ending has me wanting to find out what happens in the story, but it was the worst game I have ever played. It actually made my head to hurt to play the game because of how much I dreaded the repetitive missions :lol:

bread's done
Back