PSN plans premium subscriptions, online play remains free

jh6269

CAGiversary!
Sad, but Sony's feeling the hurt.

http://www.destructoid.com/psn-plans-premium-subscriptions-online-play-remains-free-155553.phtml

I guess I'm wondering if the PS3 would have taken a substantial portion of the console market-share, would we see MS make Live free?

I'm really happy that game play will be free (we'll see if this is true, may be strings attached).

On one hand, I hope it's just some extra stuff that you really don't need, so you won't feel bad if you refuse to pay. But on the other hand, I hope Sony starts adding stuff that people want since they're actually paying for the service.

Nothing but speculation. It could be premium to get better avatars. I'll wait and see, but free online play isnt going anywhere, and thats what counts.

not interested unless like someone said having it got you free access to movies or something ( like one time movie veiwings or so many dl codes to get to watch so many movies or shows free from the store then maybe).

It sounds intresting the power to charge people on psn is weak compared to the power of the force... I mean free but if you got money I guess its a +.

Well, from TFA, "...offering premium content and services..."

I'm thinking premium content may be dynamic themes and such. It may be cool to pay a subscription and get all the whiz-bang stuff that I'd never pay for now. Just a guess. Maybe that stuff isn't selling well; it's a rip-off to charge $3 for a theme.

Japan has the PSN Game Rental Service Subscription right?? Or at least it was in discussion a while back... Thats what I think it will be...Id pay what 70 a year for unlimited PSN Store content..Plus it would cut down on Gamesharing

As long as online play isn't affect I could careless. I think what they actually mean is subscription to use features like Playstation Homes (Official launch), Life with Playstation, or game/movie rental like others mentioned or may be the full HD movie stream like XBox is going to have.

I wonder if they are not seeing as much profit from micro transactions as they were hoping. I have not bought any home items. I am pretty sure I never will.

^ Yeah, that's what I think. I also don't buy premium themes and LBP addins (unless they're free).

I hope it's a subscription where you just get all that crap included w/the sub price.

operation costs alone must be killing sony. home is a failure, and ps3 upgrades are sub par, and im sure sony has to pay gamespy for every online game.

maybe sony just wants you to pay for it, and if online play is remains free i can't imaging the moron that would pay for this.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They already do that for Qore.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, this reminded me of Qore Services or it just Premium Avatars. Which they were saying earlier, before the release of FW 3.00.

[quote name='Trufatty']operation costs alone must be killing sony. home is a failure, and ps3 upgrades are sub par, and im sure sony has to pay gamespy for every online game.

maybe sony just wants you to pay for it, and if online play is remains free i can't imaging the moron that would pay for this.[/QUOTE]

You should try to be more informed before you post

It's always amusing the hear the fan theories on the consumer side of things. You need to look at things from Sony's side with a business perspective. I think if you take a step back you'll see that Sony feels like they're going to start closing the gap on install base vs Microsoft and they're not going to keep giving away something for free that the inferior (in their minds) competition is charging for.

It's either a show of confidence that they feel in their brand loyalty and future clientbase, or its a move that says we ate losses in the beginning to have a more futureproof console and now we're expecting to make that up as we even out the market.

I don't care either way, I have a live subscription through 2011, rarely play online (if at all anymore), and have all the current gen consoles to pick and choose what best fits. I *HIGHLY* doubt that they're relying on microtransactions with this; you're going to see features that are free now that will be premium down the road.

The new rumor seems to be that Premium PSN will feature faster downloads and auto syncing of trophies...I know, take this with a grain of salt, but I could definitely see Sony charging for faster downloads (makes sense). Auto syncing of trophies I hope is false because that's something that I think should be available for all users...

[quote name='SynGamer']The new rumor seems to be that Premium PSN will feature faster downloads and auto syncing of trophies...I know, take this with a grain of salt, but I could definitely see Sony charging for faster downloads (makes sense). Auto syncing of trophies I hope is false because that's something that I think should be available for all users...[/QUOTE]

I feel the same, although my PS3 already downloads things balls fast.

I'm a PC gamer at heart. monthly fees pop up and i sell my online ps3 games. I can't imagine this would happen anytime soon, as they realize the huge amount of resistance they would get for it.

here's to hoping.

[quote name='SynGamer'] Auto syncing of trophies I hope is false because that's something that I think should be available for all users...[/QUOTE]

I don't think I'd even want this. Heck, I think that might even reduce the amount of willing Premium users out there.

[quote name='smiggity']You should try to be more informed before you post[/QUOTE]

well well, im sorry i dont meet your standards for high calibur posts. my apologizes douche.

Last edited by a moderator:
QiG,

I don't believe Sony thinks that they're now closing the gap. I think that they can't afford to give online away for free while they're still losing money and the customers are demanding online on par (or beyond) what MS is offering.

I think PSN was to be free at first, because they thought that all 150 million PS2 owners were going to run out and buy a PS3, and they could subsidize the online via console sales. That did not happen; they fired the guy who was supposedly responsible for the high price debacle, and they are now looking to pull out of this colossal mess.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm pretty sure the right to use Netflix will stay free. Some people are tossing around Cross-Game Voice Chat, but that seems like a bad move. However, I think MAG might be pay-to-play.

However, I fully expect Sony to start charging for PSN when PS4 comes around. And I think everyone else does as well.

This has been stated before on Gaf which in my opinion, has more relevant info on this subject. Online will always be free. They said they're considering a subscription service, but nothing is final. Even if they have a subscription, no one knows what it'll entail. This is all just FUD in my opinion and really jumping the gun.

GAF has more info on the subject, yet nothing is known? Sounds like that discussion would be in the same boat as this one then, all speculation. :D

bread's done
Back