Cop tazes ten year-old girl.

Quillion

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/years/2009/1118091taser1.html

NOVEMBER 18--An Arkansas cop tasered an unruly 10-year-old girl after her mother called police to report that the child was crying, screaming, and refusing to go to bed. The tased girl, Kiara Medlock, is about 65 pounds and 4' 6", according to her father. Anthony Medlock, a truck driver who does not live with the fifth grader and her mother, provided TSG with a recent photo of his daughter, which can be seen at right. According to the below Ozark Police Department report, when Officer Dustin Bradshaw arrived at the residence last Thursday, he found the girl "screaming, kicking, and resisting every time her mother tried to touch her." Bradshaw added that, "Her mother told me to tase her if I needed to." After Kiara continued to refuse her mother's instructions, the cop concluded that "there was not going to be a peaceful resolution of the issue." Bradshaw warned the girl that she was "going to jail," but the child continued kicking and crying and resisted his attempt to handcuff her. During the tussle, Kiara "struck me with her legs and feet in the groin, reported Bradshaw, who countered with a brief "stun to her back" with his Taser. The child, not surprisingly, "immediately stopped resisting and was placed into handcuffs. She would not walk on her own and I had to carry her to my police car." Kiara was then transported to a youth shelter. (1 page)
What do you think?

Are you serious??? My dog s^^t on the floor can i call the cops and they will come out and shoot it in the head with a shotgun?

This is retard they should taze that cop with 5 tazers

[quote name='Quillion']What do you think?[/QUOTE]

Pretty messed up all around.

I would like to think the mother's hands were both broken and she was incapable of reversing the door knob on her daughter's room.

Of course, this will set a precedent. Thanks to this numbnut cop parents will be able to taze their children without prosecution or cops will be allowed to taze unruly children if a "concerned" neighbor calls the cops.

Kiara "struck me with her legs and feet in the groin, reported Bradshaw,

Good for Kiara. Now, since when does 911 respond to such crap? Maybe to arrets dera old mom for wasting their time. Taking a kid to a youth shelter because she wouldn't listen to mom? WTF? What about the fact mommy dearest just OK tazing a little girl? That's legal now? It's a freaking temper tantrum. Let the brat stay up, she'll fall asleep soon enough. Bet Bradshaw gets a commendation for this one, instead of fired. Someoenc all Child Protective Services and get this child away from zap happy mom.

Um, try to wake up a bit boys.
If the mother called 911 it was an emergency.
Have you ever dealt with a child who had mental/emotional problems?
Cause I have/do and it is not fun.
Depending on what this little girl has done in the past it might have been justifiable.
That night it was just bed but how do you know, the night before she didnt pull a knife on her mother or the cops?
The news is meant to be sensational and get a rise out of you for ratings/forwarding whatever.
Congrats guys you are all cogs.

"Emergency" is a relative term. Kids are calling 911 if their parents take away their 360 consoles.

"Very, very brief drive stun to her back", and "she would not walk on her own". Well, no shit. I've seen a few taser videos, and most adults can't get up and walk on their own after being electrocuted.

She was assaulting another person, resisting arrest and then assaulting a police officer... doesn't really matter if you are 10 years old or not, those are still crimes. A little on the excessive side? Maybe, but the cop was still acting within reason.

I'd think 2 adults could subdue a 10-year-old without electrocuting her. If she had a weapon or something then maybe, but just hold her down and cuff her or some shit if that's what you're going for.

Tasers are just way way too easily pulled. They've gotta get a handle on those things.

[quote name='darthbudge']She was assaulting another person, resisting arrest and then assaulting a police officer... doesn't really matter if you are 10 years old or not, those are still crimes. A little on the excessive side? Maybe, but the cop was still acting within reason.[/QUOTE]

Good thing she wasn't black or pulled out a wallet, she could have been shot!

[quote name='darthbudge']She was assaulting another person, resisting arrest and then assaulting a police officer... doesn't really matter if you are 10 years old or not, those are still crimes. A little on the excessive side? Maybe, but the cop was still acting within reason.[/QUOTE]
I think you would be resisting arrest too if it was because you didn't want to go to bed when your mom told you to.

What the fuck, why was a police officer wasting his time helping a mother get her daughter into the shower? Is defying parental directives now a criminal offense?

Yeah and so is underage drinking....;)

Haha, since when did police respond to calls of children not going to bed? What the fuck? Also, I heard this story yesterday, but the way I heard it, the kid was refusing to take a bath. It seems that the completely inconsequential detail of what mind-bogglingly trivial shit (that 10-year-olds should be expected to do) the dumb bitch mother called the cops for is fuzzy and inconsistent.

Kid sounds like she mental issues (bipolar). I wasn't there, but what else could you do? Hitting the kid is out of the question, so tase or teargas is all you've got. There comes a point where, kid or not, bipolar or not, you have to sit down and shut the hell up.

The problem is that mom could not handle her child. That is a very common problem in a lot of leos are sent on bs calls because of parents can not control their children.

So here's my question. If the principal at school hits the kid with a paddle which where I'm from was a board with a handle on it and hole drilled into it. My principal was a linebacker in college. With that in mind what's the difference between a 6'6'' man beating on children with parents permission and a cop tasing a kid with parents permission ? The answer is a taser is safer than the latter option.

The girl was out of control and was taken a juvenile detention center. I don't know the whole story so it's kind of hard to judge the cop, but it's still not a good idea to tase a kid. People bitch and cry if you handcuff a child.

Apparently police have absolutely no physical capability. If a grown man can't restrain a 10 year old girl, without the use of a taser, then what chance does he have against another adult?

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Kid sounds like she mental issues (bipolar).[/quote]
Yes, all children who ever get unruly have mental issues, specifically bipolar disorder.

I wasn't there, but what else could you do?
Leave and tell the mother to handle her own fucking kid, just like hundreds of millions of other parents do on their own every day all over the world and have throughout history, and more often than not without using potentially lethal police stun weapons?

Hitting the kid is out of the question, so tase or teargas is all you've got. There comes a point where, kid or not, bipolar or not, you have to sit down and shut the hell up.
Wow I hope you don't have kids and never have any in the future.

[quote name='silentevil'] People bitch and cry if you handcuff a child.[/QUOTE]

The problem is people think all children are innocent. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Just look at that 15 year old girl in Missouri that killed a 9 year old girl just to see what it felt like.

[quote name='silentevil']The problem is that mom could not handle her child. That is a very common problem in a lot of leos are sent on bs calls because of parents can not control their children.

So here's my question. If the principal at school hits the kid with a paddle which where I'm from was a board with a handle on it and hole drilled into it. My principal was a linebacker in college. With that in mind what's the difference between a 6'6'' man beating on children with parents permission and a cop tasing a kid with parents permission ? The answer is a taser is safer than the latter option.

The girl was out of control and was taken a juvenile detention center. I don't know the whole story so it's kind of hard to judge the cop, but it's still not a good idea to tase a kid. People bitch and cry if you handcuff a child.[/QUOTE]

There must be more to this story. Why would the kid be taken away from her mom? Typically, don't kids who kill someone get sent to juvie?

Also, I'm glad I never went to a school that allowed paddling.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The problem is people think all children are innocent. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Just look at that 15 year old girl in Missouri that killed a 9 year old girl just to see what it felt like.[/QUOTE]

Aaaaaannnnnddddd.....that's why cops need to respond to calls of 10-year-olds refusing to take a bath/go to bed (with potentially lethal force, no less)? :whistle2:s

[quote name='GuilewasNK']The problem is people think all children are innocent. That couldn't be farther from the truth. Just look at that 15 year old girl in Missouri that killed a 9 year old girl just to see what it felt like.[/QUOTE]

seconded.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']Kid sounds like she mental issues (bipolar). I wasn't there, but what else could you do? Hitting the kid is out of the question, so tase or teargas is all you've got. There comes a point where, kid or not, bipolar or not, you have to sit down and shut the hell up.[/QUOTE]

Why is hitting the kid out of question? When I was young, I got the shit smacked out of me all the time for doing dumb shit like this. I turned out ok. When my fiance and I have kids, you better believe they'll be getting five across the eyes if they don't behave.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Aaaaaannnnnddddd.....that's why cops need to respond to calls of 10-year-olds refusing to take a bath/go to bed (with potentially lethal force, no less)? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

If the cop gets a call regarding some kind of violence, regardless of what it is, he has to go. He can't just say he doesn't feel like it and the parent can't just whoop her ass because she'd be in trouble.

[quote name='Brownjohn']Why is hitting the kid out of question? When I was young, I got the shit smacked out of me all the time for doing dumb shit like this. I turned out ok. When my fiance and I have kids, you better believe they'll be getting five across the eyes if they don't behave.[/QUOTE]

Five across the eyes? Whatever works for you. I never got spanked so to each their own.

I have no problem with spanking if necessary but I'm not going to hit a kid in the face. All it takes is one Helen Lovejoy type to call the cops on you and cause you headaches. I look after my nephew all the time and I haven't had to raise my hand just because I have found other ways to get results.

I'm going to echo a bit what silentevil wrote above.

First, cops get sent to people's houses ALL THE TIME for parents that don't know how to be parents. People use 911 way to fucking much (and sometimes not enough). I really want to know what kind of punishment the parents already attempted to use to get their child under control. If the child hit or kicked the parents, then the parents can file charges on their own child if they see fit and the child can get sent to juvenile detention.

Children can get sent to the juvenile detention center for any crime/juvenile crime.

The primary use for Tazers is to get a subject under control where other means would prove to be ineffective or the risk of someone getting injured would be greater than the effect of the Tazer. A drive stun with a Tazer is extremely painful, but the pain only effects about an 1 1/2" line, and there are no lasting effects (not including psychological effects of you never wanting to feel that again). A drive stun is substantially different than the videos people see online of a full Tazer shoot where the person is incapacitated for the duration of the stun and extremely compliant and worn-out at the end of the stun.

I was not there, and I'm 100% sure the situation was even more dynamic than the article made it sound. But on the surface...it's a 10 year old girl. And if the mom, dad, and two cops were there, that's a person for each limb. Pick her ass up by her arms and legs, force her arms to her back, and throw her in the back of the fucking car.

Again, I don't want to judge the officer because I was not there, but on it surface it does seem like they should have been able to handcuff a little girl and throw her in the back of a car. On the other hand, the Tazer did seem to be 100% effective. :)

And to Coffeedge: The Tazer is not potentially lethal. To my knowledge it has never been shown to be the primary cause of ANY death, despite what some money grubbing sue happy lawyers want you to think.

Its so easy to sit in your computer chair and be outraged at what cops do. I grew up poor and in the hood I have had more than my fair share of, "DWB's" and I still will side with most things that cops do. My father is a cop, my grandfather is a cop and I was trained to be a cop for much of my life.

Are there dick head cops out there? You bet ya, but a FAR majority of them are great people who bend over backwards for people.

The story doesnt even say how long he tried to help before using the tazer. He could have stayed there for hours trying to get the girl to calm down. How long could you go being kicked and punched by a 4 year old? I am sure he tried all he knew before tazing her.

Its lose/lose for the cop because most Americans are love a good bad cop story and no matter what he did they would look at the headlines and be outraged. This is the main reason why I didnt become one.

First off, they responded to it because it was called in. If they didnt respond and the Kid stab her mom you would all be here bitching about how 911 ignored a call for help. Give me a break here? If you call 911 they are suppose to respond....how can you even make a case for a emergency agency not coming to help?

What was his choices coffeEdge?

Call in back up for a 10 year old?
Football tackle the kid and subdue her with a knee to the neck like any other suspect?
Pull his gun on her?

Coffe I know you are badass enough to have walked in simply told her to settle down which would promptly cause her to brush her teeth and head to bed, but for the rest of us who dont have your gusto explain how you would have done it?

[quote name='GuyWithGun']

I was not there, and I'm 100% sure the situation was even more dynamic than the article made it sound. But on the surface...it's a 10 year old girl. And if the mom, dad, and two cops were there, that's a person for each limb. Pick her ass up by her arms and legs, force her arms to her back, and throw her in the back of the fucking car.

Again, I don't want to judge the officer because I was not there, but on it surface it does seem like they should have been able to handcuff a little girl and throw her in the back of a car. On the other hand, the Tazer did seem to be 100% effective. :)

.[/QUOTE]

The problem with that is, how would it look to just manhandle a 10 year old girl and throw her in a squad car? I am sure the headline would read, "Cop roughs up 10 year old girl" and the same people would be bitching about it.

Like I said its lose lose for the cop if he cant get her to calmly just walk out of the door. If he touches forcefully in any way the papers would have the same field day with it.

What's the big deal here? I feel like if he tried to handcuff her and throw her in the car while she was acting like this it would have caused more damage.

She'll be fine and maybe the natural consequence will teach her a little something.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']So it's official, then, let it be known: GuilewasNK supports police brutality against children, because they "have to."[/QUOTE]

What would you have done? Put her in "time out"? Despite your personal attacks, I really want to know.

[quote name='Soodmeg']The problem with that is, how would it look to just manhandle a 10 year old girl and throw her in a squad car? I am sure the headline would read, "Cop roughs up 10 year old girl" and the same people would be bitching about it.

Like I said its lose lose for the cop if he cant get her to calmly just walk out of the door. If he touches forcefully in any way the papers would have the same field day with it.[/QUOTE]
Not going to argue with you about that. It's DEFINITELY a lose/lose. I honestly don't think it would have gotten as big of headlines if they would have done that, for the sole reason that the news/media latch on to ANYTHING that has to do with a Tazer, because the Tazer is widely misunderstood by the general public.

Actually, I'm not very clear on how this story even reached the media. If the mom told the cop to Taze her, then she shouldn't have a problem with him actually doing it.

EDIT: It looks like the father may have brought it to the media.

[quote name='GuilewasNK']What would you have done? Put her in "time out"? Despite your personal attacks, I really want to know.[/QUOTE]
I assume you haven't ever watched Super Nanny or any show like that. It's not unusual for kids to be violent little fucks. I guess you're saying that any time my future children act out, I should call the police to help, because god knows they might kill me.

I'm still trying to figure out the whole deal with the arrest. Let's say the girl hadn't "resisted" while already being handcuffed, what was she going to be put in front of a judge for? Flailing around and hitting her parent? I think most of us would be in jail if that sufficed.

I think tackling her and using obsessive force would have been worse, since she would break some stupid bone and then the cop would be called out on assaulting the kid.

this is one of those onion stories right? no way a cop would taze a 10ry old unless she was packing a weapn and coming at him or posessed. i wouldnt be surprised by a parent caling the cops on her child though ive read stories abut parents calling the police for even dumber reasons.

[quote name='help1']I think tackling her and using obsessive force would have been worse, since she would break some stupid bone and then the cop would be called out on assaulting the kid.[/QUOTE]

Tackling her? She's less than 5 feet tall and weighs 65 lbs. You could just grab her. And with two adults there (the cop and the mom) you could easily grab the kid and cuff her without any electrocution and not too much flailing.

If she was waving around a knife or a gun then it's different, but it's just a kid for christ's sake. I know they can be a pain in the ass, they can flail and be difficult and kick you square in the fucking nuts, but not so difficult that you actually need to electrocute them to get them under control. Just grab the fucking kid.

I like how so many in here are saying the cop electrocuted the kid. :roll:

The way the cop used the tazer is comparable to a more extreme version of when you touch a doorknob and get a little shock. It hurts, but is immediately over with no after effects.

You guys are so freakin' dramatic.

[quote name='GuyWithGun']I like how so many in here are saying the cop electrocuted the kid. :roll:

The way the cop used the tazer is comparable to a more extreme version of when you touch a doorknob and get a little shock. It hurts, but is immediately over with no after effects.

You guys are so freakin' dramatic.[/QUOTE]

OK, I looked up electrocute and that apparently only applies to killing somebody, I'll just say "electrify" or "shock" from now on if you approve.

The lethality of a taser depends on how you use it, and of course a child can be harmed more easily than an adult. The point is that it's unnecessary and tasers are being used far too often just out of laziness.

[quote name='SpazX']Every electrocution that's a higher voltage/amperage than the shock from a doorknob is a more extreme version of when you get a shock from a doorknob. Lightning is static electricity itself, the exact same thing as a shock from a doorknob (and quite brief). I don't see how that example suddenly makes it not electrocution (and of course "electrocution" would be the correct word to use since "tase" is just a made-up verb form of a brand name).

The lethality of a taser depends on how you use it, and of course a child can be harmed more easily than an adult. The point is that it's unnecessary and tasers are being used far too often just out of laziness.[/QUOTE]
e·lec·tro·cute (
ibreve.gif
-l
ebreve.gif
k
prime.gif
tr
schwa.gif
-ky
oomacr.gif
t
lprime.gif
)
tr.v. e·lec·tro·cut·ed, e·lec·tro·cut·ing, e·lec·tro·cutes 1. To kill with electricity: a worker who was electrocuted by a high-tension wire.
2. To execute (a condemned prisoner) by means of electricity

So electrocution would not be the correct word.

If the Tazer is used as directed (as it was in this situation) it is in no way lethal, as I stated before. There are no deaths where the tazer was a primary cause. If you say the lethality is how you use it, well no shit. The lethality of water is in how you use it. Same with a pencil. If you taze a person for 30 minutes, I'm sure it could be lethal. In this instance it was a brief drive stun, which as I said before, limits the tazer's pain to about a 1 1/2" in line.

bread's done
Back