The Last Remnant (PC) $17.99 w/ FS at Newegg

I posted here because that thread isn't updated very often and I wasn't sure if there would be be as many people who could see it.

About the game, the PC version supposedly gets rid of all of the technical problems that the 360 version had.

Ya, I read the reviews. It seems the PC version does take all of the technical issues, but the gameplay issues remain. It seems like it is worth it though at this price. I just downloaded the demo off of Steam. If I like it, I'll buy it.

On the edge of this deal. My problem comes with the statements that the game is Anti-grind. That is, if you grind the sidequests, the enemies actually grow stronger and the game is nigh unbeatable at the last boss. Can someone talk about it?

[quote name='ddrpower']On the edge of this deal. My problem comes with the statements that the game is Anti-grind. That is, if you grind the sidequests, the enemies actually grow stronger and the game is nigh unbeatable at the last boss. Can someone talk about it?[/QUOTE]
about half way though i ran into a boss that i couldn't beat and i was stuck in the place so save often if u buy.... This game was so great to me i just didn't want to play 40 hours over to enjoy!!! i still recommend at 50 cents an hour!!!!!!

thanks was waiting for this one to drop to a reasonable price
due to the fact that I heard otherwise about the gameplay
but for that price.
cant complain :D

fyi, I heard doing an install basically eliminated the technical issues on 360. IDK if they added anything to the PC version though. 360 version is still sitting in my backlog.

Edit: and say WHAT about the enemies leveling up with you? I thought that fucking idea began and ended with FF8. AAaarrrgh. I love 8, but that was just stupid.

[quote name='Zmonkay']fyi, I heard doing an install basically eliminated the technical issues on 360. IDK if they added anything to the PC version though. 360 version is still sitting in my backlog.
[/QUOTE]

^^; not even close. Installing the game doesn't magically make the framerate rise from 10fps to 60fps :p The load times are slightly improved, but PC loads are non-existent.

PC version has a lot of extras added in addition to performance:
-Turbo mode: makes battles go super fast. Speeds up the game
-Can assign more leaders to a team

I think there were some gameplay adjustments as well to balance the leaders change. Not sure if there were any new dungeons added.

The only real downpoint for some people is that the PC version has no achievements.

enemies do level with you, but your gear and abilities continue to grow so by end game you can thoroughly squash regular enemies.

Even with the technical issues on 360 It is an amazing game with a large scale fantastic battle system. Really the battle system is deep and fun to master and plays like nothing else. Absolutely worth $17.99, and even having 1000/1000 the 360 version I'm tempted to pick it up again.

The PC version actually has a lot of improvements aside from the technical stuff.

-New Game Plus - Carry over gold, components, other stuff.

-Turbo Mode - this is a HUGE deal for me. battles often have dozens of characters in them so they normally would take forever to finish but with turbo mode it is much, much faster. It really makes the game feel faster, more exiting and better paced.

-Leader limits are gone - basically, this means you can have more unique units in your party at a time and fewer generic filler characters. Leader characters are usually somewhat stronger, have unique abilities and have at least some story to them. They also have their own lines so there's less repetition in the voice overs during battle. :)

-Autosave! - Saves after every battle and at some other times - this is really really nice. Especially for this game - losing progress in this game is much more devastating than in more typical RPGs. It's easy to get overzealous and get caught off guard - like trying to face too many enemies at once.

There are other notable changes as well. Wikipedia has a list.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. Underrated game. Just trying to decide if I want this version or the Steam version. Or are they the same? Can I play without the disc with this version?

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']I agree. Underrated game. Just trying to decide if I want this version or the Steam version. Or are they the same? Can I play without the disc with this version?[/QUOTE]

TLR requires Steam, so the retail game is essentially the Steam version.

The graphics on the PC version are WAY better than the 360. It stays at 100+ FPS at all times for me at 1920x1200, 8xaa, totally maxed. On the 360 it runs at like 1280x720, 4xaa and can drop into single digit framerates at times. There's no competition. The 360 is ancient hardware at this point and even a midrange PC will outclass it heavily.

Despite the technical issues, I still greatly enjoyed the 360 version. I would definitely think this is worth under $20, considering the improvements.

Ordered! Thanks for the info, folks. It's too bad they didn't just sell the Steam version for the same price. I suppose it'll be the Steam weekend deal for $10 now... :)

[quote name='Jesse_Dylan']Ordered! Thanks for the info, folks. It's too bad they didn't just sell the Steam version for the same price. I suppose it'll be the Steam weekend deal for $10 now... :)[/QUOTE]

I doubt it. Steam still has it listed as $40, so unless they do a 75% off sale, it won't hit $10.

bread's done
Back