Best Ereader for PDF articles.

seanr1221

CAGiversary!
Feedback
27 (100%)
I'm thinking of asking for an Ereader for Christmas and I need some help. I would mostly be using this for PDF articles (I'm not a big book reader, but I am constantly printing articles in the lab for class/thesis/lab work). I have it narrowed down to the Kindle or the Sony Touch Reader. The Sony Touch Reader is on sale this weekend at my local store, bringing it to the same price as the Kindle.

I played around with the Touch yesterday, and liked how I could use the stylus to highlight text and write in notes. I know with the Kindle you can add notes using the keyboard and I can only assume you can highlight, correct?

Text books in electronic format seem like a wash, which is unfortunate, so it comes down to which displays PDFs better.

Thanks!

I too would like to know. I use my PSP for PDF's, but its too slow and it strains my eyes if I look at it for a long period of time.

Get a tablet PC instead.

AFAIK, Ebook readers don't like PDFs with headers/footers, complex text formatting and they especially don't like PDFs with images like charts and graphs. I think the Kindle DX was supposed to be better with them, though.

Yeah, there's not a great e-reader for scholarly PDFs yet.

The iRex 1000 is probably the best (per reviews, and discussion over at mobileread.com), but it cost around a grand. The Kindle DX displays most reasonably well from what I've read, but doesn't offer note taking on PDFs (unless it's been updated) and if it did it would be with the keyboard rather than a stylus since it isn't a touch screen. But it may be an option if you just need to read them. I highlight and write tons of notes in the margins etc. in the ones I read so I don't have to bother reading them fully again when citing them in an article down the road etc.

Another one to really keep an eye on is the Plastic Logic Que, as it's being aimed at the business professional market. But full details, with price etc., aren't being released until early January. http://www.plasticlogic.com/news/pr_quepremier_oct192009.php There will probably be some other large screen readers annouced at CES as well, so probably best to wait until after then.

Myself, I'm more waiting for a better tablet PC at a decent price. I don't really need a full featured tablet. Just something without a keyboard that I can mainly use to read and mark up scholarly PDFs, and maybe some light web surfing and PDA functions. I think we'll start to see some of those devices. But I could swing to a large touch screen e-ink device like the Que potential. As I love the e-ink screen on my Kindle as it's easy on the eyes and leads to super long battery life.

But for my academic work I'm in no rush and can't wait until there's something out that 100% fits my needs. For now I just use my Kindle for leisure reading and stick with printing out PDFs to read and mark up for work.

bread's done
Back