The New, But Not Improved Firmware Thread: 4.00 Currently Available

[quote name='blitz6speed']Can we ban iamthecheapestgamer from this thread? That would be great, thanks.[/QUOTE]

So when some have a differing opinion of Sony other than 'Sony is God and infallible', it's 'whining/bitching/etc'? The issue since the firmware update is real, they do exist and Sony had better fuckin' fix them and quick.

They messed up PS3's or rather the controllers with this update. I'd call that a valid reason to complain about this shitty fuckin' firmware garbage.

And isn't that the reason for this thread, to 'discuss' the firmware?

Yet, every time someone posts something other than 'zomg I love that they added the (insert silly useless thing they've put onto the PS3 here)functionality', it's 'complaining/whining/etc'.

I have complained, on Sony's own blog, and I do intend upon calling them this afternoon and EVERY fuckin' day until I get a straight answer as to whether or not they're working on a solution to stop the sync issues.

If I have to have them on speed dial and call every minute of every day until my slim PS3 and its controller is FIXED, I'm going to do it.

As for the updates in general, I still think that if you don't want the extra crap they keep shoving down people's throats with the actual bug/glitch fixes, you SHOULD have the option to click off on them and NOT download them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like you and your PS3 are peices of crap. You should sell it and never buy another sony product again since they offend you. And also, you should be banned from this site for being so useless.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Sounds like you and your PS3 are peices of crap. You should sell it and never buy another sony product again since they offend you. And also, you should be banned from this site for being so useless.[/QUOTE]

Can't we just agree to disagree? I know I'm not alone in the 'Sony mesed up my PS3' camp as of now though, as many others in the prior thread said they were having the sync issues as well.

So they need to step up and fix that issue and let us choose what extra crap we want(I don't mind the bug/glitch fixes being mandatory to play on PSN, but Facebook....really?)with our firmware updates.

Wow, I've gone a couple days now without having to deal with controller sync issues. My interet connection is working much better now that I've hooked it up via ethernet cable.

I did run into the controller issue once. I turned off the console, plugged the USB into the controller, hit the PS button to turn it on again, unplugged it, and haven't had the issue ever since (it's been about a week).

[quote name='slowdive21']I hate this new thread. The old thread was better. Why was I forced to update to this thread, just to talk to CAGs? ;)[/QUOTE]

:lol::lol: Yes dammit, you were. Now shut up n quit bitchin' about it.:lol::lol:

[quote name='Inf^Shini']I did run into the controller issue once. I turned off the console, plugged the USB into the controller, hit the PS button to turn it on again, unplugged it, and haven't had the issue ever since (it's been about a week).[/QUOTE]

For me, it took about 8 days or more for the problem to recur and it just happened again the other night. I'm actually getting ready to call Sony's customer service line(1-800-345-SONY(7669) ) to ask if they're working on a fix for this.

I'm gonna try to be nicer than I have been on their blog, but I'm not counting on being able to contain my aggravation for long.

If they mention they're working on a fix for this, I'll let you guys know.

EDIT: Supposedly, they ARE looking into the firmware update and if they need to put out a patch. However, the rep on the phone told me to try restoring the file system for the PS3.

This is how it's done, as I didn't even know this menu existed myself till just now.

Hold the reset/power button to turn on the PS3, keep holding it till the system shuts back down a first time after 3 beeps. Then press and hold the button again to turn on the system and keep holding it till it beeps four times this time. The third and fourth beeps will be closely grouped.

It will bring up a prompt to plug in your controller via the USB charging cable. Do that, then select option 3 to 'restore file system' from the menu it brings up.

This process should take about a minute or two to complete. After that, the PS3 will restart and everything SHOULD be fine from then on out.

We shall see if this fixes the sync issues. I'm hoping they know what they're talking about and this fixes it.

how do you know when its a controller sync issue and not a defective or messed up controller? i recently had one where the face buttons dont work up it can still cut on my ps3 but my other controller works fine. could it be the first round of ds3's that are effected or later ones because i got one with my ps3 (mgs4 bundle) but bought one later seperatly. also how do you solve the sync issues?

I just detailed how I was told to fix the sync issues. Apparently the menu it brought up after the second reset is a 'safe mode' menu and restoring the file system will supposedly fix the sync issues.

As for the face buttons not working on the one controller of yours, are they gummed up with anything? You wouldn't believe the residue/goop from people's sweat that I used to clean off of used controllers I bought last gen for $4-5.

Try gently taking the controller apart and cleaning the parts inside, as that may help, since if you hit the buttons too hard at times it can cause the little rubber pads that touch the board inside the controller to break apart.

EDIT: That file restoring also seems to have fixed the trophy sync issue I was having since the update, so all seems to be well now.

Should I add another post with how to possibly fix the sync issues for those who are also suffering through them?

when i updated my PS3 when it finished downloading the firmware and then resets to install it my screen went black was gonna turn it off with the back switch but left it alone and then it reset with the new firmware installed i have never had this done to me before also btw this is a refurb 60GB from SONY my first one YLOD and so far this one has been fine except for this occurrence

[quote name='ArmorForVictor']when i updated my PS3 when it finished downloading the firmware and then resets to install it my screen went black was gonna turn it off with the back switch but left it alone and then it reset with the new firmware installed i have never had this done to me before also btw this is a refurb 60GB from SONY my first one YLOD and so far this one has been fine except for this occurrence[/QUOTE]

All the updates I've done so far have automatically restarted on its own. It says it will do that, and to not turn off the PS3, right?

[quote name='Hibiwa']All the updates I've done so far have automatically restarted on its own. It says it will do that, and to not turn off the PS3, right?[/QUOTE]

yes but you know how it has a progress bar showing the installation of the new firmware? yeah it was a black screen the whole time it installed it then it reset after it did it (only reason i didn't turn off PS3 i saw the HDD light in the front constantly flashing like it was installing the firmware) and the new firmware was installed this is the first time it happened to me after 2 1/2 years owing a PS3

o_O Eek, yeah I would've panicked a little with a black screen the whole time. Haven't had that happen. Glad your PS3 updated fine.

[quote name='Hibiwa']o_O Eek, yeah I would've panicked a little with a black screen the whole time. Haven't had that happen. Glad your PS3 updated fine.[/QUOTE]

yeah idk hopefully it was just a fluke with the firmware alot of people were having problems with it we'll see with the next one what happens when it goes to install it

Thanks for the tip cheapest. I'm giving it a try now... When it started a message appeared on the screen saying the file system was corrupted and it would be restored.

[quote name='Chitown021']Thanks for the tip cheapest. I'm giving it a try now... When it started a message appeared on the screen saying the file system was corrupted and it would be restored.[/QUOTE]

You're quite welcome. Let me know how it turns out, as I played a bit of Mirror's Edge after doing the restore thing.

It even seemed to make the discs read faster, so maybe we all need to do this mini restore every so often to keep the system running decent.

One thing I will say though, is that if you have a custom wallpaper on your PS3, you're going to have to reset it after doing the restore.

Otherwise, everything else is untouched.

I've had issues with the system locking up when having more then one browser window open. Before I could pop open 2-3 and browse CAG really quickly. I guess I can try doing the file restoring later to see if that helps this issue too.

I just noticed some audio and other issues with Mortal Kombat II that I never noticed before. I wonder if those are because of the 3.10 update as well and if so why they weren't fixed with the file restoring.

Hmm, so I guess the controller not working is common with the newest update? I couldn't get my brand new one to work unless it was plugged into the USB port, which seemed odd.

Yeah. That's an issue with the newest FW update, Ryukahn. But if you see my one post above, I detailed how to restore the file system, which I was told would fix the problem.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Good to hear, Chitown. Hopefully I'll remember this 'fix' if/when they mess up another update.:roll:[/QUOTE]

You know I think my games may be loading a little faster as well. It seems like there were a couple times where Ghostbusters and R&C would "freeze" on occasion for about 30 seconds when loading. Now they seem to fire up after only a few seconds.

Actually, I noticed that too soon after I did this fix, as I tried loading GTA IV and it took no time at all for the disc icon to come up.

So maybe this fix is a good thing for ALL PS3 owners to do if their consoles are running a bit slower.

Although, now I swear there's audio and graphical glitches on MK II on my PS3.

I did a long time ago and yes it did seem to load things better.

I just forgot since I had to get my system worked on.

And since I did it, I can now open multiple browser tabs without an issue.

Though "A Crack in Time" did cause my system to reboot when I tried to download the latest update (1.20). Not sure who to blame for that... Came right back up and I tried again. Downloaded and installed like normal anyway. Freaked me out a little...

Cheapest you keep ducking me. When are you going to FIGHT ME in some MORTAL KOMBAT? Are you not TUFF E NUFF to handle what I'm serving?

[quote name='NamPaehc']I did a long time ago and yes it did seem to load things better.

I just forgot since I had to get my system worked on.

And since I did it, I can now open multiple browser tabs without an issue.

Though "A Crack in Time" did cause my system to reboot when I tried to download the latest update (1.20). Not sure who to blame for that... Came right back up and I tried again. Downloaded and installed like normal anyway. Freaked me out a little...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, this happened to me in Unreal Tournament 3 for the longest. Happened to my friend with Street Fighter 4 too.

[quote name='Paco']Cheapest you keep ducking me. When are you going to FIGHT ME in some MORTAL KOMBAT? Are you not TUFF E NUFF to handle what I'm serving?[/QUOTE]

I gotta admit that I'm a turtle in MK.:lol: I usually try and do a jump kick, foot sweep or slide(since I usually use Sub-Zero)and then I repeat those tactics ad nauseam. Couple those tactics with a special move or so in between and you have my pattern to follow.

So yeah, I'm not exactly the best player.:roll:

Damn. Well, so much for this fix working in the long term.

I was kind of hoping that it was an issue that could be resolved in an easy way like that.

I may try restoring system settings via Sony's step by step directions on their site next, since I have nothing to really lose at this point, but I will probably backup a few save files before I do it.

I would definitely suggest that any and all PS3 owners having sync issues of one kind or another(controller and/or trophy issues)start calling Sony en masse. Maybe if enough of us call these issues will be fixed.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I gotta admit that I'm a turtle in MK.:lol: I usually try and do a jump kick, foot sweep or slide(since I usually use Sub-Zero)and then I repeat those tactics ad nauseam. Couple those tactics with a special move or so in between and you have my pattern to follow.

So yeah, I'm not exactly the best player.:roll:[/QUOTE]

Who cares. Come and fight me. BRING IT ON. Show me YO MOVES. I'm waiting.

[quote name='Paco']CHEAPEST. YOUR DIGNITY. WHERE IS IT? I demand satisfaction.[/QUOTE]

I'm over a friends' house currently, so it's not like I have my PS3 here and theirs is in use.

I got the controller sync issue last night. It also affects my bd remote and I can't even pair it again. Watching BSG last night with a wired controller rather than
my remote from the couch kinda sucked.

[quote name='torifile']I got the controller sync issue last night. It also affects my bd remote and I can't even pair it again. Watching BSG last night with a wired controller rather than
my remote from the couch kinda sucked.[/QUOTE]

Did you try the 'restore file system' thing that they told me to do? My system has been working ok since I did that. Of course, now that I said that, it'll probably fuck up on me when I go to turn it on in a bit.

I didn't do anything but plug my controller in via USB and after I turned it off, the bd remote worked again to start it up. I didn't think it would but my son got a hold of the remote and pressed the PS button and on it went.

BT devices are borked. If I power on with PS button, get 4 flashes and all BT devices don't work (BD remote, headset). The work around is power on from console then turn on BT devices. How does this get by testing? Looooooong thread on the offical PS board here

On December 10th: 3.15

- Controller pairing issues fixed
- PSP Minis will be playable on the PS3
- Data transfer between 2 PS3's through an Ethernet cable

The only one that sounds interesting to me is that last one. If that allows for Locked Save Files to be transferred AND usable on another PS3, then they are making it really tempting for people to upgrade to a Slim.

bread's done
Back