Dead pixel? or is it stuck?

vithang

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Well I just recently got a PSP the other day and I noticed that there is a dot on my screen that just sticks. The weird thing about it is that it changes colors. In my case...
Red background = black dot
Blue background = grey dot
Green background = white dot
Yellow background = works normally
White background = works normally
Black background = works normally

I've ran the flashing RGB video and got a few pixels unstuck but can anyone help me confirm if this pixel is DOA and if there are any remedies that I could go about fixing this.

I don't really know what the problem is but check out this Wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defective_pixel). It's probably in one of those 5 categories. I wish I could help you out more but I hope that might at least help identify the problem.

You've probably already thought of this but have you tried exchanging it and/or finding out the store you bought it from return policy? Check with them and see if they can help you out.

Hope that helps.

Edit: If it's from a store like Wal-Mart or Target they usually have pretty decent return policies. I got a DS exchanged a few years back for a dead pixel. Though as always it's usually up to the store's discretion. If it's from GameStop/etc check with them and see what their return policy is. They're probably going to be a bit more rigid about the requirements but it's always worth a shot. Online stores usually clearly post how they handle dead pixels, but again it varies. Fry's Electronics usually takes back anything no questions asked, but I'm not sure about Best Buy and other big chain electronic stores.

My first PSP, a 1000, had a dead pixel. It was just dead all the time. Had trouble taking it back (brick & mortar store) so was stuck with it.

My third PSP, a 3000, had a pixel like you described. I sent it back to Amazon.com and got a new one (which thankfully didn't have it).

It's really the bane of PSPs. I don't know why Sony can't check before the ship them out. Monitors, TVs, Laptops, etc, don't have this problem. But very common with these

For whatever reason it's probably because they're cheaply or just plain badly manufactured by either them or their suppliers. Once however I did get 3 consecutive Samsung monitors with dead pixels. It either could have been a bad batch or the same thing in general. Most of the problems I've had with LCDs have been with smaller units.

My original PSP-1000 had a few stuck pixels as well as my brother's but we didn't do anything about them because they were hardly noticeable.

However, I once got a free monitor (19", but many years ago) from a relative because it had a stuck green pixel. So for the most part manufacturing defects landed me a free but expensive item.

[quote name='DiscoJer']Monitors, TVs, Laptops, etc, don't have this problem. But very common with these[/QUOTE]

Yes they do. It's not really uncommon for most screens to ship with a dead pixel or two. In fact if you read almost all return policies they say "at least 4+ dead pixels." It's just far more noticeable on a small screen.

i worked at Gamestop when the PSP came out and because of all the problems with dead pixels we were only supposed to exchange them if we could easily see 5 or more dead pixels. I got one on my original DS, but it wound up getting broken so problem solved.

thats what usually happen with stuck pixels they change colors black background would be blue, white background changes to yellow and so on. I wouldn't worry about 1 dead pixel unless it's in the middle of the screen

bread's done
Back