CAGcast #180: I Call Titans!

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[preview][img-l=4668]3078[/img-l]Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck discuss the ECA controversy, Madden NFL Arcade, MW2, Borderlands DLC, and Assassin's Creed II. We've also got the latest industry and game shopping news, your questions and comments from the CAGbag and Twitter and oh so much more!

[podcast]89[/podcast]
Download - 97 minutes, 41MB

Review us on iTunes!

Support the CAGcast with these GoDaddy coupon codes:
10% off any order = CAG10
$5 off $30 = CAG5OFF30
$6.95 domain = CAGDOMAIN[/preview]

Show Linkage/Notes (click the button below to expand):

Last edited by a moderator:
I just downloaded a cagcast 180 from itunes and it is the black friday live call in. I doubt this is just something I'm getting a problem from so you might want to get on that quick. I'll download the mp3 though.

I was just listening to Wombat talk about his itinerary and Shipwreck chimed in. This is gonna be a good Cagcast

Y'know, with all this ECA stuff flying around, you could roll out CAG Premium quietly and not seem so bad.

If you do this, I deserve 20% of the profits for coming up with the idea.

although i am a new listener, i am loving this podcast. What is the release date for these? If i remember correctly, you have released them on Sunday's before?

Anyways, keep it up! :)

[quote name='Halo05']Y'know, with all this ECA stuff flying around, you could roll out CAG Premium quietly and not seem so bad.

If you do this, I deserve 20% of the profits for coming up with the idea.[/QUOTE]

LOL 20% is a bit steep, you CAG. :p

Im lookin at itunes store on my ipod and i dont see the show.
cant go on my computer cause my ipod is messed up and have to take it to apple.

guess ill listen to it on this MAC which i dont like
had to make my nw My Funnies !!! with it ehhhhhh

Don't hurt yourself answering so many cagbag questions next time.
I get it though, Wombat was gearing up for his trip but you guys could make some more room for questions next time. Or maybe just spend an extra thirty seconds before the show flagging questions that are interesting instead of just figuring out which ones to go with on air.

this was a good podcast next Ill just ask how the maple syrup is XD it was nice to hear what that eca thing was about good show cags

Great show, so far. I had the same problem joining the ECA as Wombat did, I ended up using another one of my email addresses and signed up again, and that second time it prompted me to enter in my payment information and was able to access the benefits.

Just because I know a ton of people are going to point this out, If you go back in the museum level in modern warfare 2 there's a call button at the receptionist desk and it will say "do NOT press x (or square, or f depending on what you're playing the game on)" .

Cheapy, Wombat, and Shipwreck, press x. That's all I'll say. Just press x.

Wow the show was going for quite awhile before you hit game discussion, this is not a complaint.

Hey Wombat, did you happen to read the reviews on that Epson you purchased during black friday? I was gonna buy the same thing but reading the reviews for it , I changed my mind, they were horrible? Seems they eat ink and don't return the value of the purchase price.

And they Avatar movie looks like @ss and I hope it flops, there's definitely too much hype over it for nothing. 1st trailer I saw on the movie was talking about another world and humans invading and some dude siding with the blue people and going to war. The next trailer I saw looks like a Disney movie talking about A whole new world and blue people falling in love and living in a forest with no mention of human invading and killing anything. It looked so serene and peaceful.

Those two contradicting commercials killed it for me , not that I ever bought in to the hype. Movie looks boring and story sucks @ss. That's my two cents on this overhyped, overly marketed piece of crap, it will probably end up like Land of the Lost.

Thanks for listening.

With the whole ECA thing, I do feel for them because it could have been an awesome setup they had with amazon and the likes, But they do need to either set up an online method for canceling memberships or donations or whatever the auto renewal is. Personally I have no idea what the ECA does this is the first time I have ever heard of them, so I'll probably look into it just because I'm curiouse about it now.

If it really is an issue where they can't do online cancellations which seems a little ........ yeah ....

if it was me I would just cancel all auto renewals flat out and after issuing a letter/email(s) of explaining the situation and assuring your client/members/donors(?) that all auto renewals have been canceled unilaterally, and invite people back.

Since it seems that they are catching more negative press from their arcane method of cancellation than the amazon deal going south.

Make good with amazon sit down hammer things out?
Maybe try offering a discount to returning members?

solution for the doorbell, rewire it to a speaker outside of your door
so when they press it, you can have it yell something absurd at them ;)

(this could be done with a staples 'Easy' button)

OK, how sad is this. I am a Titans fan (see avatar below... yes I paid the awful premium for the jersey) and I tried the trial of Madden Arcade. Of course, I chose the Titans as my team.... and lost to the AI. Yeah.

[quote name='hoofrog']OK, how sad is this. I am a Titans fan (see avatar below... yes I paid the awful premium for the jersey) and I tried the trial of Madden Arcade. Of course, I chose the Titans as my team.... and lost to the AI. Yeah.[/QUOTE]

Trial version probably has Collins at quarterback. It's the combo of Young & Johnson that make them unstoppable once you learn how to use them properly.

Good ECA discussion. Cheapy, I think you missed one key detail in that if you happened to click on the cancel button while it was still active your membership will probably still continue since it was never working anyway.

And I totally agree with Wombat. You should be emailing Hal and explaining to him that you have a lot of angry users who signed up and are now screwed. This idiot won't stop bitching about the few coupon stackers to realize he's taking it out on everyone when, as you guys also pointed out, is supposed to be leading an organization to "serve the needs of those who play computer and video games".

Listening to the show now. Great so far. Funny to hear all the Black Friday talk.. standing in line vs. getting a job and just paying full price.

The doorbell thing is interesting.. I am guessing the parties involved know there is a big bald white guy living there as I expect that fact alone makes it fun for them. Certainly keep us updated on the ongoing saga.

"Erin Andrews is a popular ESPN sportscaster who was voted “America’s Sexiest Sportscaster” by Playboy Magazine each of the last two years. And now, she is being viewed naked all over the internet. Reports are that a video of Andrews undressing was shot through a peephole while she was in a hotel room. "

Rig your peephole with a camera.

Also if the kids are going to the elevator, can you tell what floor they take it to? Might help you identify them.

I know my 8 yr old has a spy kit. Inside is a trip "wire" ~infrared beam gadget. It's the size of 2 packs of cards. He sets it down and activates it. And if I walk by it then its internal alarm goes off. And this is a toy. Might be able to find something smaller and more deviously professional.

How about applying some stinky goo to your doorbell when you know the package man ain't coming?

[quote name='NegativeZero']Hey Wombat, did you happen to read the reviews on that Epson you purchased during black friday? I was gonna buy the same thing but reading the reviews for it , I changed my mind, they were horrible? Seems they eat ink and don't return the value of the purchase price.
[/QUOTE]

I buy cheap no-name brand ink for my Epson printer (CX5000). A single Epson ink cartridge costs $20.00 but you can get 8 generic cartridges for the same price. They work just as good too.

You can find them on Ebay.

Wombat: I had the exact same problem with the ECA website, so it wasn't just you. Everything I try to do on it, it just says it's a member's only area. I gave up. Apparently they don't want or need my money. It was probably around the same time as you, too.

Shipwreck, you're wrong about EGM.

The magazine itself was profitable. The problem was NOT EGM. The problem was Ziff David being bankrupt and hemorrhaging money. The seller ZD went to didn't want a magazine. It's as simple as that. To write the new EGM off like that without knowing the facts was annoying.

A magazine can still be successful if done right. Look at Retro Gamer and EDGE magazine in the UK. They even sell on newsstands here in the US.

Get those pranksters with a net gun.
The most expensive route, but the most fun.
netgun-1.jpg

shootingnetmov.gif

Congrats on your new awesome camera.

My tip if you want to learn some basics is the book Understanding Exposure http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Exposure-Photographs-Digital-Updated/dp/0817463003. It will tell you the basics (and quite a bit of advanced stuff) and is an overall good book for anyone who wants to get out more of their camera. It begins by telling you how the camera works (apertures and all that) and then it tells you how to use it to take better pictures.

Personally I think it's a great book to have, even if you have been shooting for many years. And for that matter even if you know all the basics of apertures and such.

Other than that I recommend looking at some sites and browsing forums. Some of my favorites are luminous-landscape.com, fredmiranda.com and strobist.com (the last one is for flash photography, which you'll get into sooner or later). There are many other good forums, but I'd stay away from the forums at dpreview.com. (The site is good though, it's just the forums which tend to be uninformative.)

Other than that use the fact that it's digital and shoot a lot. Also delete a lot of photos, that will force you to think about what makes pictures bad and makes you aware of what to look for when taking the pictures.

Oh, and we look forward to seeing your youtube clips in HD in the future. :)

EDIT: Oh and be sure to hit the big electronic chains in Tokyo for some good photography toys. IIRC Yodobashi in Shinjuku has a sick camera section. (Basically it's a separate 5 story building which has only camera stuff.)

[quote name='Darknyss']Good ECA discussion. Cheapy, I think you missed one key detail in that if you happened to click on the cancel button while it was still active your membership will probably still continue since it was never working anyway.

And I totally agree with Wombat. You should be emailing Hal and explaining to him that you have a lot of angry users who signed up and are now screwed. This idiot won't stop bitching about the few coupon stackers to realize he's taking it out on everyone when, as you guys also pointed out, is supposed to be leading an organization to "serve the needs of those who play computer and video games".[/QUOTE]
+1 for the above
I also think wombat is right. If you have any type of contact with someone in a situation like this, it seems part of your duty to the people you serve (us CAGS) to represent us.

[quote name='shafnitz']Wombat: I had the exact same problem with the ECA website, so it wasn't just you. Everything I try to do on it, it just says it's a member's only area. I gave up. Apparently they don't want or need my money. It was probably around the same time as you, too.[/QUOTE]

There was an issue signing up. One of my friends used a different web browser and they were able to put the order through.

Regarding Cheapy contacting Howard to request an online cancelation option, please do this! It is simply unacceptable not to be able to cancel a membership online or over the phone at this point in time.

I was having the exact same problem as Wombat with ECA. I emailed them about it and it means we aren't paying members and they don't have out CC info. So WOOO!!! *high fives* No snail mailing membership cancellations to ECA!

I really appreciate Wombat urging Cheapy to contact Hal on the CAG community's behalf given that this issue is of significant concern to so many CAG members. ECA needs to know that this issue will not blow over for them in a few weeks.

bread's done
Back