Looking for a good computer monitor

MasterOGA

CAGiversary!
I'm looking for a widescreen monitor that has at least 1 HDMI input, is of reasonable quality....and of course is fairly cheap :)

Anyone have a suggestion? I know 2 of my friends who are unhappy with the ones they got, so I don't want to make the same mistake!

You need to be a little more specific in terms of what you want
(size, price, usage, etc.)

What exactly is a "good monitor" and how cheap is "cheap"?
Does it need to be under a certain price point?

The Dell U2410 is an excellent monitor.
At almost $500, it isn't the cheapest monitor out there, but it is definitely than most of the monitors that are available in the market place.
While $500 isn't chup change, it is pretty cheap for an IPS monitor.

Dell U2410
pros
good viewing angle
good color accuracy
adjustable stand
has a few gazillion ports for hookups
cheap
0 dead pixel policy

cons
not the cheapest
not the fastest refresh rate, many TN monitors out there have a faster refresh rate

http://www.dell.com/us/en/dfo/peripherals/monitor-dell-u2410/pd.aspx?refid=monitor-dell-u2410&s=dfo

Yeah, I was thinking much cheaper, like under $200 :) I saw a bunch of monitors on black friday for $80, but I just kinda assumed they didn't have HDMI inputs or had bad refresh rates.

Incase you need more details, I'm going to use it to play Modern Warfare 2 from my xbox 360 via HDMI output, I don't really have any big plans to play anything amazing from my computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually you missed out on a Black Friday Deal. NewEgg had a deal on a ACER 23" HDMI Monitor for $139 Free Shipping (Normally the cost was $220). This is the Monitor: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009163. There is also another monitor Hanns·G HH-231HPB Black 23" 5ms HDMI Widescreen:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824254045. It is under $200 dollars ($180 with Free Shipping). I would suggest looking around but this is the best price for a 24" and it does have HDMI.

I've been looking at all the newegg monitors, and I've noticed they have all sorts of different resolution. Which resolution is what I'd need to run Modern Warfare 2 at 1080p....is it 1920 x 1080? If so, what beneifits does going higher (like 2048 x 1152) have?

Got a SP2309W during the Dell Black Friday sale. All 3 connectors, DVI VGA and HDMI with a 3 year extended warranty and 50000:1 contrast. Used it on trips with my xbox and the picture is spectacular!

MasterOGA the only problem I see with the monitor is the fact its an ASUS. I hate the fact unless you know what buttons you are pushing it's kinda hard to get into BIOS. Screen takes way too long for the ASUS logo to get off of it!

I've had no issues with the SP2309 and MW2. The screen just changes to the resolution sent to it from the program or console. (Whichever you have hooked up) But to answer your question 1920 x 1080 is 1080p anything higher is a bonus. SP2309 can have 2 full webpages right next to one another without losing any text. Side snapping with Win 7 is a breeze. (grabbing the current window and pulling it to the side)

I've owned this monitor for a few months and have to say I love it. It's by far the best monitor i've ever owned. I had a ACER prior to this one and it lasted for a year then the power invertor gave out on it and every time I'd go to turn it on it'd shock the poo outta me so I'm done w/ Acer because the warranty is only for 1 year and atleast the sammy's have 3yrs on them and that's generally the age at which i buy a new one anyway.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001331

it's worth the money you pay in warranty alone.

Congrats have fun with the new monitor. One thing to note though is that practially all 3D games on the 360 (especially the modern ones with detailed graphics) are not rendered in 1080p. They are all rendered at 720p (or even less in some cases, including MW2) and upscaled in hardware to 1080p. Therefore a 1080p monitor is not critical for 360 gaming.

Ruahrc

bread's done
Back