Hasbro Family Game Night for Xbox 360 $19.99 on Amazon

[quote name='Pure Apathy']Just a heads up for everyone, you cannot install this to the hard drive.[/QUOTE]

any reasons why?

[quote name='JaroldL']any reasons why?[/QUOTE]

So people don't copy the games and then trade the disc back in I'd guess. The Arcade compilations are the same way.

[quote name='hlaalumaster9']So people don't copy the games and then trade the disc back in I'd guess. The Arcade compilations are the same way.[/QUOTE]

To play an installed game you need to have the disc in the Xbox 360 drive. Hence, you couldn't trade the game in and still play
Installing games only helps speed up load times - I can't image that the load times would very long on these compilations. Installing wouldn't help much anyway.

[quote name='homerojay']Installing games only helps speed up load times - I can't image that the load times would very long on these compilations. Installing wouldn't help much anyway.[/QUOTE]
I don't know about you, but installing games on my 360 makes it go from sounding like a jet engine to whisper quiet. That's a pretty big deal.

Still better than paying for the arcade games individually, but annoying nonetheless.

Couldn't you just download the trials of each game, and then put the disc in the drive to unlock retail? It may still read from the disc anyway but it's worth a try I'd say. Anyway, thanks OP, in for one myself.

Bought this earlier this morning. Missed it the first time and made sure I wasn't going to miss it again. Used my $20 credit from the Modern Warfare 2 deal and got it for free!

Game sounds great too. I played Uno to death on XBLA and this seems like more of the same style game.

[quote name='graf1k']Couldn't you just download the trials of each game, and then put the disc in the drive to unlock retail? It may still read from the disc anyway but it's worth a try I'd say. Anyway, thanks OP, in for one myself.[/QUOTE]

I thought about trying that but wasn't sure if it would actually work. My internet is also pretty slow so it would take me a while to download everything. Does anyone with the game want to give this a shot?

Funny, I just spent 2-3 hours playing this with my kids Sat night (got it from Amazon Thanksgiving week when it was $19.99).

As for how good it is, well, the games are no mystery - if you like any of those sorts of things it is a good buy. My kids are already fairly tired of it, but it has some single-player appeal (e.g., you can go for high scores in Boggle, and there are 1400 achievement points to track down if you are inclined). The advanced versions of the games provide a little more oomph too. A great example of this is Connect Four - yeah, a pretty boring game by itself, but there's a version where you have pieces that push others off the bottom, crush the ones below them, or explode when you drop them. Throw in a timer and that makes it a whole new game. I had some fun just playing this one against the AI.

FYI, the games are Boggle, Scrabble (no AI play here unfortunately - single player is just you making your own words one after the other), Connect Four, Battleship, Yahtzee, Sorry, and Sorry Sliders. I haven't played Yahtzee since I was a kid so that was kind of fun to play again and the automatic scoring makes it go much quicker (ditto with Scrabble though it is still a slow game by nature).

Given that they try to charge, what, $10 for each of these on XBL (confirmed - even at this moment the Amazon sold codes are $10 each), getting this disc for $20 is a great deal. Even when they have them on sale for $5 (and I think one or two have been already) it is still a good deal. I mean, I've already gotten my $3 worth of entertainment from each of them.

I'll try running the game from the HD as I think I have some trials. There is a note in the case, though, that says you should run it from the disc so I'm guessing it won't work. I actually started it up by accident from the HD and quit before I got to the game menu after I realized what I did - I should have checked it out first. But it certainly didn't complain upon startup. The disc does spin the whole time which can be annoying. Fortunately a beneficial side effect of my RRoD was that I got back a much quieter system so it doesn't bother me as much as it would have a year ago.

[quote name='io']Scrabble (no AI play here unfortunately - single player is just you making your own words one after the other [/QUOTE]

am seriously considering this disc since i love board games. but how on earth do you play scrabble with each player able to see the screen -- when you play on the board game you can't see the other player's un-used tiles.

regarding other arcade discs (like PopCap's Peggle/Bejeweled/etc) you have to have the games in the player. I'm a little concerned by that once Peggle Nights comes out since i think it will be a download expansion.

[quote name='graf1k']Couldn't you just download the trials of each game, and then put the disc in the drive to unlock retail? It may still read from the disc anyway but it's worth a try I'd say. Anyway, thanks OP, in for one myself.[/QUOTE]
I don't have to try to tell you no. If it was possible, a lot of things would be able to unlock that way, exploited horribly and quickly fixed a long time ago.

[quote name='Skoad']I don't have to try to tell you no. If it was possible, a lot of things would be able to unlock that way, exploited horribly and quickly fixed a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

Well, not necessarily. Let's say you download the trials and then put the disc in and it does unlock retail. It would basically be like installing a game normally so that once the disc is removed, you can't play the games again.

Honestly I expect it won't work that way and that we'll just have to play from the disc, but it's certainly possible.

[quote name='almasy82']to make this a little sweeter add sonic ultimate genesis collection or another qualifying game to get half off. So you get both games for $29.99
http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.ht...rd_t=201&pf_rd_p=503415851&pf_rd_i=B002QK00NE[/QUOTE]

The OP should add this to the first post. I picked up Hasbro and Sonic Unleashed for $29.95 and Free Shipping. As opposed to $19.99 and ~$5.20 Shipping for just Hasbro. I'll pump Hasbro to Goozex to trade up for another game I want. (Hasbro is currently 600 Points).

Great deal, now I need to stop buying video games for a while. :)

~HotShotX

Last edited by a moderator:
@pasolini: peggle nights has been out as a download for a couple of weeks.

I picked this up for the easy 1400 GS along with a rechargeable battery, you can never have too many of those if you play like I do. total was 31.81 shipped.

Good thing I refused to buy the games for $10 each on XBL. Best Buy had the whole collection too for $20 on Black Friday. Such a great Deal BUY IT

[quote name='pasolini']am seriously considering this disc since i love board games. but how on earth do you play scrabble with each player able to see the screen -- when you play on the board game you can't see the other player's un-used tiles.
[/QUOTE]

You do, indeed, see their letters. I was just playing with my kids so I had to help them find words anyway so that was OK. But yeah, it could be a problem for local play for those used to playing the regular game.

bread's done
Back