SEGA Genesis Firecore System w/ 20 Games $25 at Buy

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
This is one system I've been wanting to pick up

Link

212208382.jpg

[quote name='Tsukento']Very tempting. Free shipping too.

Anyone know how faithful it is to the original Genesis?[/QUOTE]

• Golden Axe
  • Crack Down
  • Altered Beast
  • Sonic & Knuckles
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Alex the Kidd in the Enchanted Castle
  • Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja
  • Columns III
  • Gain Ground
  • Arrow Flash
  • Ecco Jr.
  • Flicky
  • Decap Attack
  • Cyber Police ESWAT City Under Siege
  • Alien Storm
  • Shadow Dancer
  • Sonic Spinball
  • Jewel Master
  • Kid Chameleon
  • Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine
It looks like a Chinese knockoff to be honest...haha...

[quote name='Tsukento']Very tempting. Free shipping too.

Anyone know how faithful it is to the original Genesis?[/QUOTE]

I got one awhile back and started testing through a bunch of my games. I've been meaning to shoot a video, but it's a pretty good unit for $25. There are some issues with quite a few of the Acclaim games running slower than they do on an original Genesis. For example, the Spider-Man series of brawlers run very choppy. I'd say at least 80% of my collection ran well though.

Thanks for the info Ship. I should have known you would get this, you are a pack-rat like me. I already have a Genesis 3 but for some reason am considering buying this. I have a real fascination with clone systems lately. My latest interest is that new portable SNES http://stoneagegamer.com/fc16goportablesnes.aspx . They were having a discussion about it on the digitpress forums.

The only thing that makes this a deal is the fact that it comes with 20 games pre-loaded. You can find real Gennys everywhere for $20 or less at any flea market in America. And sometimes they come with games at that price.

What I want is one of the new portable Genesis clones.

[quote name='mogamer']What I want is one of the new portable Genesis clones.[/QUOTE]
No you don't. They have terrible sound. Really kills the music for games like Streets of Rage 2.

Eh.... is this even worth it? I mean, the Sega Ultimate Genesis Collection for the PS3 seems like a way better deal. And you can get it for $19.99 on Amazon.

I ordered one. My Genesis 3 broke along time ago, and I've just had old games sitting around here for awhile. Finally being able to hook it up and play them again would be awesome; and for $25, you really can't beat that.

I might have to get this!

I've been wanting to play Mutant League Football, Gunstar Heros and Earthworm Jim again.

[quote name='shipwreck']I got one awhile back and started testing through a bunch of my games. I've been meaning to shoot a video, but it's a pretty good unit for $25. There are some issues with quite a few of the Acclaim games running slower than they do on an original Genesis. For example, the Spider-Man series of brawlers run very choppy. I'd say at least 80% of my collection ran well though.[/QUOTE]

Shipwreck, how do the controllers compare with the official Sega 6 buttons? They look very similar.

MjC

[quote name='mogamer']The only thing that makes this a deal is the fact that it comes with 20 games pre-loaded. You can find real Gennys everywhere for $20 or less at any flea market in America. And sometimes they come with games at that price.

What I want is one of the new portable Genesis clones.[/QUOTE]
Just get a Nomad. :p

ahhh, i still have my old genesis! gotta find it one day.. it's hidden somewhere in the attic. those good 'ol days.

[quote name='bungletrpg']Just get a Nomad. :p[/QUOTE]

I already have a Nomad. But I wanted something that already has some games installed so I wouldn't have to drag so many around with me. ;)

I watched a youtube review that said the original sega controllers worked much better than the ones that come with this. Anyone know what the sd compatibility is for?

Pseudo 32-bit games? Does that mean that the 32X works with
the unit? Is this the one with the games that are officially licensed?

Just went on eBay and did some Genesis shopping; got the following for about $62 shipped.

The Tick, Road Rash II, True Lies, Ren & Stimpy's Invention, Alladin, AAAHH!!! Real Monsters, Cool Spot, Spot Goes to Hollywood, and Maximum Carnage.

I still have Mickey Mania, Earthworm Jim, Clue, Vectorman, Bubsy and a bunch of others in my closet; otherwise would have got them too.

Hopefully this system will bring back some good memories; and remind me and maybe break me from my curse of constantly only wanting to play games with achievements or trophies, haha.

Just buy the Sonic Mega Genesis Collection for the PS3/360. You get all of those games, you don't have to have a piece of garbage taking up space by your tv and inputs on your tv, you get trophies, achievements, and it's about the same price.

Oh and did I mention that you get a LOT more games, including the Phantasy Star games, which are worth the price alone.

I wouldn't buy this cheap thing folks.

Personally I would just get a cheap Genesis off of ebay for playing at home. However, I have the Retrogen (one of the portable clones) and it is fantastic. Yeah the sound is off, but it's still awesome and it retired my Nomad.

[quote name='souljah420']legend ~ u coulda got those games much cheaper on my tradelist![/QUOTE]

I'll consider that for when I want to order more, then.

$10 off if you use ebillme and code: buy10dec

With ebillme, you use your bank's bill pay feature to send them the payment for your buy.com order. Quick, painless, with no giving out information whatsoever.

[quote name='charlescheese']Just buy the Sonic Mega Genesis Collection for the PS3/360. You get all of those games, you don't have to have a piece of garbage taking up space by your tv and inputs on your tv, you get trophies, achievements, and it's about the same price.

Oh and did I mention that you get a LOT more games, including the Phantasy Star games, which are worth the price alone.

I wouldn't buy this cheap thing folks.[/QUOTE]

This

I still have a Genesis Model 3 sitting collecting dust in the basement. I bought it from a flea market complete with a six button controller and I used it ONCE to test it out.

I have a bunch of games for it that I'd consider letting go with it for like $35 shipped.

I'm just sick of seeing it collect dust.

I always wanted a Nomad back in the day, but there was no way I would ever pay full MSRP for it. Plus, the thing looked like it ate through batteries like a pig.

[quote name='charlescheese']Just buy the Sonic Mega Genesis Collection for the PS3/360. You get all of those games, you don't have to have a piece of garbage taking up space by your tv and inputs on your tv, you get trophies, achievements, and it's about the same price.

Exactly.

Btw, its called Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection

[quote name='bungletrpg']Just get a Nomad. :p[/QUOTE]
Expensive, battery drainer. Do not want.

Pretty sure this thing plays Genesis carts as well. So having 20 games built in plus being able to play carts for $25 isn't really a bad deal.

But yeah, Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection is pretty damn nice.

[quote name='Feral Lynx']Eh.... is this even worth it? I mean, the Sega Ultimate Genesis Collection for the PS3 seems like a way better deal. And you can get it for $19.99 on Amazon.[/QUOTE]

Thru the 12th, if you buy any other xbox game and sega ultimate genesis collection for the 360 at amazon, you'll get the genesis collection for 50% off...so less than $10

The problem with the Sega Ultimate Genesis Collection, is that I a). Already own it, and b). Want to play games that are not included on it... such as half the ones I listed (especially classics like Mickey Mania, Clue, Earthworm Jim, Boogerman, Aladdin, ect.).

Sure, the collection has plenty of great games on it, but it barely scratches the surface when it comes to Genesis games. I'd rather spend $25 on a Genesis which includes roughly the same amount of games (caliber wise) that the collection does, and also be able to play any other older games / cartridges I have laying around (or in this case, buying some games I lost or used to love).

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']The problem with the Sega Ultimate Genesis Collection, is that I a). Already own it, and b). Want to play games that are not included on it... such as half the ones I listed (especially classics like Mickey Mania, Clue, Earthworm Jim, Boogerman, Aladdin, ect.).

Sure, the collection has plenty of great games on it, but it barely scratches the surface when it comes to Genesis games. I'd rather spend $25 on a Genesis which includes roughly the same amount of games (caliber wise) that the collection does, and also be able to play any other older games / cartridges I have laying around (or in this case, buying some games I lost or used to love).[/QUOTE]

Well, if you want a more expanded Sega experience, downloading an emulator, along with some roms, and playing it on a PC might be the best option for today. Unless of course, you don't mind displaying the additional piece of hardware. I've got my old Sega Genesis stashed away somewhere, and I don't have any intention of ever bringing that old thing out. Plus, there's no way that my Sega would be able to play on my 60" DLP. At least with the "Collection", I'd be able to play a few Sega games on my PS3, with updated graphics.

a veteran that doesn't know not to talk about emulators on this site - must be a troll
to be honest those these bootleg machines (along with the nes/snes) are junk so i dont blame you

btw there are these things called rechargeable batteries, and the nomad is fuckin awesome
its portable but you can also hook it up to your tv like a regular genesis

[quote name='souljah420']btw there are these things called rechargeable batteries, and the nomad is fuckin awesome
its portable but you can also hook it up to your tv like a regular genesis[/QUOTE]
Rechargeable batteries or not. That thing took up way too many batteries as is. And having to plug it into the TV defeats the purpose of having a Genesis on the go.

[quote name='Tsukento']Rechargeable batteries or not. That thing took up way too many batteries as is. And having to plug it into the TV defeats the purpose of having a Genesis on the go.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure what your statement is saying, but I thought mentioning the Nomad has it's own screen AND outputs to a TV was germane to your comment. It just sounded like you were saying the Nomad isn't a "Genesis on the go" when that's exactly why it came out.

Only difference is the fact that this product has built in games, the Nomad has none.

I have a Retro Duo that I actually like. It cost me like $40 a year ago, and has played all the NES and SNES cartridges I have. The stock controllers were crap, so I use the old SNES ones I have and they work better. The buttons on the stock controllers were horrid and the things weighed like half as much as the real ones, definitely not as sturdy.

This Genesis seems cool, especially because some are built in, but I do already have Sonics Ultimate Gen Coll...

Last edited by a moderator:

[/QUOTE]

I didn't realize the Sonic and Genesis collection discs allowed you to play any Genesis cartridge you want. :roll:

Was about to buy this as a gift...

But then I heard the atrocious sound. Ye gods, why can't they emulate Genesis sounds properly?

[youtube]pZKCzzQatpQ[/youtube]

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']The problem with the Sega Ultimate Genesis Collection, is that I a). Already own it, and b). Want to play games that are not included on it... such as half the ones I listed (especially classics like Mickey Mania, Clue, Earthworm Jim, Boogerman, Aladdin, ect.).[/QUOTE]

And c) there is zero lock-on for Sonic and Knuckles and the other Sonic games. It's an absolute joke and the bullcrap reason they gave for not including the feature was an absolute disgrace.

EDIT: And EGADS! That video above my post is almost as much of a disgrace as the Sonic PS3/360 collection. The sound is atrocious! I literally cringed!

[quote name='Chuplayer']EDIT: And EGADS! That video above my post is almost as much of a disgrace as the Sonic PS3/360 collection. The sound is atrocious! I literally cringed![/QUOTE]
BAAAAW, I CAN'T CONNECT S&K WITH THE OTHER GAMES, THIS COLLECTION IS SHIT!

Seriously, aside from the lack of connectivity, there's nothing wrong with a compilation of Genesis titles for $20 that includes all four original Phantasy Star titles and both Shining Force titles.

The Firecore Genesis has an actual flaw that can only be resolved by buying an actual Genesis. Meanwhile, you can connect S&K with the other Sonic titles via either the Genesis carts, or the various Sonic collection ports released on several consoles.

[quote name='Tsukento']Was about to buy this as a gift...

But then I heard the atrocious sound. Ye gods, why can't they emulate Genesis sounds properly?

[youtube]pZKCzzQatpQ[/youtube][/QUOTE]

Because it's not a genesis

just buy a real genesis off ebay.

i picked one up for $18 and it included Aladdin, Contra Hard Corps, Lion King and Mickey Mania. (all except lion king had the original case, manual) -- everything was in top-notch, near perfect condition.

I'd been very much wanting to play Aladdin (I had played the SNES one to death but the Virgin made one for the Genesis was all the rave when I was younger).

Aladdin really is an amazing game (and so is Lion King). I was happy when Virgin also put out Hercules for the PS1; those are some solid games and still look rather impressive.

[quote name='Tsukento']BAAAAW, I CAN'T CONNECT S&K WITH THE OTHER GAMES, THIS COLLECTION IS SHIT!

Seriously, aside from the lack of connectivity, there's nothing wrong with a compilation of Genesis titles for $20 that includes all four original Phantasy Star titles and both Shining Force titles.

The Firecore Genesis has an actual flaw that can only be resolved by buying an actual Genesis. Meanwhile, you can connect S&K with the other Sonic titles via either the Genesis carts, or the various Sonic collection ports released on several consoles.[/QUOTE]

There was absolutely no reason they couldn't have put the lock-on technology into the collection. They did it back in the 90s on the Saturn's Sonic Jam for crying out loud! Not putting the lock-on technology into the Ultimate disc is a farce.

As for your Firecore comment, it sounds suspicisiouly like "it's not a flaw, it's a feature!" in disguise.

Doesn't change the fact that complaining about the four Sonic games when they're already available on various other platforms is pointless. It'd be understandable if there weren't already a hundred other Sonic compilations out there that mostly everyone already owns, but it doesn't change the fact that most of the complainers are ignoring the fact that the release has a solid list of OTHER games on there that you CAN'T get for dirt cheap elsewhere.

In regards to the Firecore, I clearly said it's a flaw and that the only alternative was to buy an actual Genesis since virtually every other Genesis clone has been the same way, including the portable ones released recently. Even so, at least SUGC is $20 and has a lot more to offer with superior sound quality.

The Ultimate disc is a slap in the face to Sonic fans everywhere, and if you don't think it is a big slap in your face, too, then you're hopeless. There was absolutely no reason not to include lock-on technology. It neuters the Sonic 3 and Knuckles experience.

As for even explaining away the Firecore sound flaw, why even bother? It has already been firmly established that the sound is atrocious. I know already that the flaw can be resolved by owning an actual Genesis. What do you think I've been doing since 1995? Playing early Genesis emulators on Windows 95 with nonexistent sound and nearly unplayable framerates?

The Firecore Genesis is an absolute heap of garbage! End of story!

Was there any reason to not include it? No, there certainly wasn't.

But to say it's a slap to the face of Sonic fans?

-Genesis carts
-Sonic & Knuckles Collection
-Sonic Jam
-Sonic Mega Collection
-Sonic Mega Collection Plus
-Xbox Live Arcade

They're largely available in various other platforms which most Sonic fans ALREADY OWN. Why am I not complaining? Because I already own the Genesis carts, Sonic Jam and Sonic Mega Collection. It doesn't bother me because I bought SGUC for the vast majority of the other games, NOT for the Sonic games. I bought it to have all three Streets of Rage games, to own both Shining Forces, to own all four Phantasy Stars. I didn't buy the compilation for the Sonic games I already own in various formats.

I don't care that it's on other formats. There was no reason not to include it on yet another collection, and yet they didn't for some stupid reason we may never know. The reason they gave us was a total slap in the face. Specifically, they said that if they had taken the time to include lock-on games, they would have had to scrap the arcade games on the collection. That's crap. Absolute crap. You would have thought that there would have been at least one Sonic fan on the team that made the collection who would have said "hey guys, we're leaving out lock-on" and there probably was, but he was probably ignored by some dumbass CEO who outranked him, just wanted to shove a product out the door, and only cared about his highly inflated paycheck he received for disrespecting the people who care about the games and grew up with them and otherwise pleasing gamers who otherwise don't give a crap.

You can't link the games. You can't access Knuckes parts of Sonic 3. You can't access Tails parts of Sonic and Knuckles. The lock-on flow is ruined. All of this could have been avoided by putting a couple extra ROM images on the disc and adding them to the menu because they obviously didn't recode these games from scratch. Otherwise they would have been true widescreen instead of stretched out soccer mom "look kids it's HD!" garbage. It would have been SO DAMN EASY to do, and they failed to do even that.

bread's done
Back