Are you scared of Roller Coasters?

darthbudge

CAGiversary!
Feedback
22 (100%)
So a friend talked me into going to Six Flags Over Texas with her tomorrow and while I am excited to go, I am also kind of scared of roller coasters. I have been on them before, but it can still be really tough for me to make myself get on them at times. :lol:

So I was just wondering, is anybody else somewhat afraid roller coasters, or am I the only one? Everybody else I seem to know isn't scared of them in the least.

I LOVE roller coasters. I'll go on ANY roller coaster, no matter how big/small. I even went to a theme park not long ago with a CAG member. Looking forward to roller coasters next year.

I was traumatized by one. The indoor (and pitch black) Disaster Transport at Cedar Point. After refusing to go on them all day, my dad told me and my brother it was one of those Disney style rides where you ride a little train and puppets wave at you and shit like that. We got through the line and into the cart, then the doors opened up and there was this big mountain we started climbing. My dad cackled all the way up...then the lights went out.

I love em! Cedar Point is still king phuba when it comes to roller coasters in my opinion. My favorite all time is probably The Beast at Kings Island.

I usually don't like them, but a friend got me to go on one with him over the summer, i thought i was going to die. I'm surprised i didn't break the steel bar that was holding me in the seat i was gripping it so tightly. If you don't like heights, you certainly won't like roller coasters.

Last edited by a moderator:
I never used to ride them when I was younger, but I started to a while ago and they're not bad. I don't particularly love them or anything, but they're pretty cool.

I haven't been on one in quite a while since I haven't been anywhere with them for quite a while, but I've ridden pretty much all of them at King's Dominion and Busch Gardens in VA (at the time I guess, they've probably gotten a few new ones since then).

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I was traumatized by one. The indoor (and pitch black) Disaster Transport at Cedar Point. After refusing to go on them all day, my dad told me and my brother it was one of those Disney style rides where you ride a little train and puppets wave at you and shit like that. We got through the line and into the cart, then the doors opened up and there was this big mountain we started climbing. My dad cackled all the way up...then the lights went out.[/QUOTE]

:applause: That one's pretty weak too except for it's a bit jarring since it's not very smooth.

Living in Cleveland (an hour or so east of Cedar Point), being scared of coasters isn't an option. I avoided them until my junior year of high school until I went with friends and didn't want to be a big chicken in front of them and that did it for me.

Part of the thrill is when you make the way to the front of the queue and look up and see how high the hill is, then the slow climb up and people/rides start getting smaller while you look over the side, then you hang at the top momentarily while you watch the cars infront of you disappear below the horizon..... WHOOOSH!!!

Ironically I don't like the power tower (either shoots you straight up 200 feet from standstill, or slowly climbs up and drops you 200 feet and is like a bungee theme) and I am scared to death of the cars that carry you from the front to the middle of the park over the walkway with the buckets hanging from a cable... they seem so old that they're most likely to have something go wrong.

I'm kinda scared of them , but there are some that I like or will ride. "Classic" or really simple ones , but the bigger ones and the ones where you hang instead of sit , I'm too much of a coward to get on.

I like Thunder Mountain Railroad , Space Mountain and Expedition Everest at Disney , but can't think of that many others that I'm a huge fan of. I think that I might be ok with going on other coasters , but need to work my way up to them , if that makes any sense.

I absolutely hated roller coasters and would not go on one at all until about a year ago when I went to Disney (Magic Kingdom) and rode Space Mountain. Not really a roller coaster, but it got me to try real roller coasters at Busch Gardens a few months later, and now I love them and can't get enough.

[quote name='SpazX']
I haven't been on one in quite a while since I haven't been anywhere with them for quite a while, but I've ridden pretty much all of them at King's Dominion and Busch Gardens in VA (at the time I guess, they've probably gotten a few new ones since then).[/QUOTE]I still need to go to Busch Gardens in VA sometime. I already went to KD with a CAG in September. Was fun and I got cheap tickets from work.

I use to be scared of them as a kid but now I like the wooden ones like The Grizzly at Great America in CA or the Giant Dipper in Santa Cruz. I still refuse to ride the ones that have loops or corkscrews though.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I still need to go to Busch Gardens in VA sometime. I already went to KD with a CAG in September. Was fun and I got cheap tickets from work.[/QUOTE]

I like Busch Gardens more than King's Dominion. I haven't been there for 3 or 4 years though (and won't be going anytime soon), so I haven't ridden any of the newer stuff. Alpengeist was one of my favorites there, and Loch Ness Monster was the first roller coaster I ever rode (in like the 3rd grade, well, and not counting the Scooby Doo at King's Dominion, but that's a kid's coaster).

[quote name='Rocko']I absolutely hated roller coasters and would not go on one at all until about a year ago when I went to Disney (Magic Kingdom) and rode Space Mountain. Not really a roller coaster, but it got me to try real roller coasters at Busch Gardens a few months later, and now I love them and can't get enough.[/QUOTE]

My dad forced me to go on Space Mountain when I was a little kid and that kinda traumatized me about them for a long time (that and almost falling out of the ride during Thunder Mountain railroad , which while I don't remember that my mom does). Now I'm more apt to at least give them a try , but I'm still a bit scared by them.

I love roller coasters, though I've only been to Universal, the disney park with the stupid rock themed coaster, disney world with my wife, six flags over ga (the only one near me), carowinds, and busch gardens in VA. I also love playing Roller coaster tycoon 3 where you can ride the coasters.

I'm afraid of heights, but love roller coasters, and I'll go on almost all of them. I had an ex-girlfriend who was TERRIFIED of them. She would get all pissed even if I joked about bringing her on one.

Also, fart_bubble, any chance you're talking about the Shockwave at Six Flags Great America? I actually liked that ride. Although it was a little bumpy.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Also, fart_bubble, any chance you're talking about the Shockwave at Six Flags Great America? I actually liked that ride. Although it was a little bumpy.[/QUOTE]

yep, Great America. That ride sucked. Thing would give me damn near a concussion every time I went on it. I'll take Iron Wolf lifting me up by the balls over riding Shock Wave

I used to be petrified of roller coasters (some bad experiences) but I finally got over it by riding Batman during a physics trip for school. Now I'll ride any coaster I come across.

I'll ride a good number of them, but there are some that I won't ride that usually try to do something extra on top of the normal coasters. I haven't been to an amusement park in probably five or six years, though I know the closest park had been closed down (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geauga_Lake) so I may look into going to another like Cedar Point at some point.

[quote name='SpazX']I like Busch Gardens more than King's Dominion. I haven't been there for 3 or 4 years though (and won't be going anytime soon), so I haven't ridden any of the newer stuff. Alpengeist was one of my favorites there, and Loch Ness Monster was the first roller coaster I ever rode (in like the 3rd grade, well, and not counting the Scooby Doo at King's Dominion, but that's a kid's coaster).[/QUOTE]KD does have more rollercoasters, which is a bit more appealing to me (but then again, I went in 2009). It was interesting because one of the rides there, The Dominator, I rode on it back when it use to be at Six Flags Worlds of Adventure/Geauga Lake in OH.

I'll ride a good majority of roller coasters. Loops, corkscrews, it's all good. The only ones I avoid are what I call "danglefeet" coasters. To give an example of what I mean, The Great Bear at Hershey Park in PA.

Afraid of roller coasters? No.

Afraid of heights? Yes.

I used to go to Cedar Point every summer. I don't go on roller coasters anymore for fear that I'm going to black out, or get an aneurism. I almost blacked a few years ago, and it was pretty scary.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']KD does have more rollercoasters, which is a bit more appealing to me (but then again, I went in 2009). It was interesting because one of the rides there, The Dominator, I rode on it back when it use to be at Six Flags Worlds of Adventure/Geauga Lake in OH.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I just liked the rides better at Busch Gardens, although they've definitely changed a lot at King's Dominion since I've been there. I might have just gotten bored of King's Dominion though, my parents got season passes a couple summers (when I wasn't even riding coasters). Last time I went I think they were still working on whatever that one was that just kind of went straight up and fell back down (I don't think I'd ride that one, honestly, and I don't see it on their list).

But out of what was there when I went, I never got a chance to ride the grizzly (it was closed for a while I think, it seems to be open now), the rebel yell backwards, shockwave, or flight of fear. I liked Volcano, rode that one a few times. Half the stuff they have on the site now didn't exist last time I went.

I think I actually prefer the "danglefeet" coasters that somebody else mentioned.

I think I rode everything at Busch Gardens that they had at the time. The Griffon looks cool though, I'd like to try that one.

[quote name='SpazX']
I think I actually prefer the "danglefeet" coasters that somebody else mentioned.
[/QUOTE]

They are called inverted coasters. I think I prefer them too because they generally can't be as scary. Or, at least, that's the case with me - seems like they can't achieve pure speeds a conventional one can.

I got over the fears of coasters on my first time. Was up in Dallas and the first one I ever road was the Texas Giant. It's nothing special except for the first drop, and even then it's not a big deal except that the coaster has a wooden Wile E. Coyote cutout clutching for dear life at the top, along with an agonizing period where it goes extra slow. Rattles you up there, and then rattles you for the rest of the ride (being a wooden coaster). Other time I got used to coasters was on a trip in middle school to Astroworld, where we were supposed to "study" physics throughout the day. I was in a group with some friends, but between the four of us, two refused to ride anything. I didn't want my friend to go alone, so I went along.

Favorite coaster is the Mr. Freeze up in Six Flags Dallas. Goes so fast you don't have time to get scared - zero to sixty or something in about two seconds, straight up and down in an arc, and then shot up 300+ feet straight up, hang for a second, and do it all again backwards.

I also think there should be a coaster called the Russian Roulette, and once a day, it randomly undoes the harnesses and restraints in the middle of the ride.

Mr. Freeze looks pretty crazy. I like the Volcano because it's LIM, but it's not a particularly crazy coaster, just a couple corkscrews really, and it's inverted. The beginning is awesome though, just foom! and it sounds like fucking warp drive.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I love em! Cedar Point is still king phuba when it comes to roller coasters in my opinion. My favorite all time is probably The Beast at Kings Island.[/QUOTE]

But the Son of Beast is a shitshow of a coaster. It's genuinely fucking painful the way it thrashes your body around - I rode it several times over a few trips in years past just to see if it was the coaster that sucked or if I was just being a baby. I'm convinced the former is the case.

But the original Beast is one of my favorite coasters of all time. I'm still sour the sons of bitches that run Kings Island no longer run a backwards Racer, though. That's blasphemy right there.

I haven't been to a wide variety of amusement parks, but I've been to the Great Escape in Lake George, NY a number of times. The Steamin' Demon is alright, but the Comet and Boomerang are really fun. The Comet is a bit simpler, since it's an old wooden coaster -- no loops are anything, but the speed and turns are a hell of a lot of fun. The Boomerang is a newer one, with it's key feature being a return trip going backwards. It's very cool.

Like some other people here, I hate heights, but have no problem being on a roller coaster. I'm even cool with the inverted ones.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']hate heights, hate flying, but i love roller coasters[/QUOTE]

I hate heights, but love flying. Weird.

Also the only "roller coaster" I have been on is the fake one they had in the mall years ago.

I am, for the most part, a total roller coaster chicken. It's only been the last 3 years or so I've even attempted any, I never went on them as a kid.

My fiance, however, adores roller coasters, and he's the reason I've been weaned into riding some of them... basically, anything that isn't going to flip me upside down or sideways is OK. The one I've been on that's bothered me the most is the Jaguar at Knotts Berry Farms (if you've never heard of it, it's becuase it's a lil' coaster no one really bothers with anymore.) That one put you mostly sideways, which did freak me out... largely for the sharp ends on tne bamboo they cut down to not hit the riders, but not low enough to get it away from the heads of taller folk.

I'm going to be forced onto a big coaster one day, I know it... I just don't think I'm gonna like it.

Love roller coasters but can't ride them anymore because I'll get sick.

I would get sick when I was a kid, was fine when I was a teen, but now I'm back to getting motion sickness. In my defense, rollercoasters are alot more hardcore these days.

Love roller coasters as well but always get butterflies on the ones that are the free fall type rides. The negative G's are gut checking literally.

Great topic. I never rode roller coasters until my senior year of high school when we took our senior trip to Orlando, and I just thought "fuck it. When am I going to get this chance again?" I rode Space Mountain, and some of the other Disney coasters. Then, at Islands of Adventure, I rode The Hulk coaster. I took another trip to Orlando a couple years ago, and I have to say, Islands of Adventure/Universal has the best rides. I don't care how many twists/loops/drops the ride has as long as I feel secure. It's that "single lap bar, sliding around, feeling your ass lift off the seat" shit that freaks me out.

On that subject, a few years after my senior trip, I was still feeling brave and decided to ride the Cyclone at Coney Island. For anyone who doesn't know, it's one of the oldest wooden coasters in the country (built in 1927) and was deemed a New York City landmark in 1988. Just looking at it, you wouldn't be very impressed, but because of what a huge piece of shit it is, it was without question the most terrifying ride in my life. It only has the single lap bar to hold you in, and the drops are actually big enough so you can see the front car as you plummet (I was seated in the latter half).

Add to that the rickety shaking that rattles your bones the entire ride, and you've got one miserable experience. As I felt my ass lift off the seat, my distrust for the ride compelled me to physically pull myself back down. When the torment finally ended, my back was actually in pain from the constant shaking. I can appreciate that this is one of the oldest roller coasters left in existence, but what a piece of shit. There's a reason people don't play football in leather helmets anymore.

Here's a POV of the Cyclone. Like I said, it doesn't really look like much, but you can almost get a feel for how bad the rickety shaking is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajz-tzyp3FQ&feature=fvst

For comparison, here's The Hulk coaster which didn't bother me at all.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jVdZROJf9Ag

Reading this thread makes me realize how lucky I am to have a Six Flags just down the road. I never really stopped to think that most people don't live anywhere near a theme park and never really get the chance to enjoy roller coasters. I've been riding them since I was tall enough and I love 'em. :)

And for all those people who are scared, take it slowly. Ride a few small ones first. The scariest part is the way up, because it takes so long and you have time to look down. :O But after that, everything's going so fast that you forget you're scared. :)

Thankful Cedar Point is down the road as well. I'd probably still be a chicken to this day if I didn't go almost every year.

Wooden coasters I shy away from as well. Maybe it's that I'm getting into my late 20s, but brain damage inducing rattles, juts, and whiplash sensations just don't do it for me. Especially when you have rides shooting you 400+ feet in the air from 0-120 in mere seconds on silky smooth tracks, it's too hard to go back.

Oddly enough, also afraid of heights but I don't mind flying or coasters.

[quote name='Access_Denied']Reading this thread makes me realize how lucky I am to have a Six Flags just down the road. I never really stopped to think that most people don't live anywhere near a theme park and never really get the chance to enjoy roller coasters. I've been riding them since I was tall enough and I love 'em. :)

And for all those people who are scared, take it slowly. Ride a few small ones first. The scariest part is the way up, because it takes so long and you have time to look down. :O But after that, everything's going so fast that you forget you're scared. :)[/QUOTE]

Yup, the wait in line and the ride up are the worst parts for me. I plan on doing some small coasters first and working my way up. I just hope that the people I am going with don't want to immediately hop on the Titan or something. :lol:

[quote name='darthbudge']Yup, the wait in line and the ride up are the worst parts for me. I plan on doing some small coasters first and working my way up. I just hope that the people I am going with don't want to immediately hop on the Titan or something. :lol:[/QUOTE]
If they're not complete douchebags, just tell them you'd like to go on smaller coasters and build up to the bigger ones.

bread's done
Back