Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots $20 @ Amazon

[quote name='nervousxtian']I just started playing this.. I'm into Act 2 now.. and it's been a 2 to 1 ratio of cut-scene to game play.

Does it get better?[/QUOTE]

Not really... In fact, I think it gets worse near the end. (if I remember correctly

...Still, it's a fun game overall. The cut scenes are just somewhat obnoxious.

[quote name='nervousxtian']I just started playing this.. I'm into Act 2 now.. and it's been a 2 to 1 ratio of cut-scene to game play.

No. In fact, the cut scenes are what made me trade the movie in. I felt like I was watching a game, not playing one.

[quote name='Rafael122']No. In fact, the cut scenes are what made me trade the movie in. I felt like I was watching a game, not playing one.[/QUOTE]

lol, seemed like a movie so much that you decided to call it a movie instead of a game :)

Yes, it gets much better. By the end, it will be about a 5:1 ratio. ;)

[quote name='davidflecha17']Do you get the free 20.00 PlayStation store coupon with this?[/QUOTE]

No. That ended a while ago.

[quote name='LordSMVS']Yes, it gets much better. By the end, it will be about a 5:1 ratio. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh well, I'll still play it to beat it, just with 2 kids I tend to have be able to leave a game on short notice. I already had a few of the cut scenes partially ruined from distractions.. seems like I'll have to play this late at night to avoid that.

It's the best game this gen, in my opinion. You can always skip the cutscenes, you know...
And Act 3 sucks, but pull through and you will be rewarded.

[quote name='Lord Darkstorn']It's the best game this gen, in my opinion. You can always skip the cutscenes, you know...
And Act 3 sucks, but pull through and you will be rewarded.[/QUOTE]

I just asked my MGS fan friend about this, and he said that skipping the cutscenes might make it faster but you won't know what is happening.

Do you guys think a better version of this game will come out, ala Substance and Subsisitence? I hope so. That's why I'm holding off on buying this... And a PS3 Slim. For now. I gotta get my money up.

[quote name='cooljammer00']I just asked my MGS fan friend about this, and he said that skipping the cutscenes might make it faster but you won't know what is happening.[/QUOTE]

If you don't skip them, you still won't know what is happening. :lol:

I liked it though. Great game.

I got this game for $15 from best buy because they send a txt to people who sign up for their reward zone card and they send txts that have really good deals on them and one of the deals was $15 for MGS4. People should sign up for the txts they sometimes send out good ones. MGS4 is great game but like some people have said its hard to understand. :)

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']I wish I had skipped them. The only game with a stupider story is Eternal Sonata.[/QUOTE]

Eternal Sonata's ending was the worst ending ever.. of course.. what do you expect when the story throughout was just as retarded.

..and to whoever said skip the cut-scenes? What kind of defense is that. I've heard it said around the net every time someone complains about them, but come on.. that's just stupid.

I got this for $15 on BF. I haven't played it yet but I was planning on skipping most of the (gratuitous) cut scenes because I don't give two shits about the story. Hopefully it will still be worth playing. I figure if I'm going to own a PS3 this is one of the big exclusives so I may as well check it out. If I don't enjoy it, I'll just stop playing...

Awesome deal. In fact, MGS 4 is a steal at $20. Just to think that I spent $65 for this game at launch, when it first came out.

[quote name='porieux']I got this for $15 on BF. I haven't played it yet but I was planning on skipping most of the (gratuitous) cut scenes because I don't give two shits about the story. Hopefully it will still be worth playing. I figure if I'm going to own a PS3 this is one of the big exclusives so I may as well check it out. If I don't enjoy it, I'll just stop playing...[/QUOTE]

At $15, you won't be sacrificing much. However, MGS 4 is a game that was meant for the fans of the series, and if you aren't familiar with the storyline of the previous games, then you won't understand anything about MGS 4. Also, since this game is driven deeply by its storyline (and since you don't care much for the story), I don't believe that your experience in playing MGS 4 will be a very enjoyable one. Just a word of caution.

This is the greatest hits version right? if so no thanks im OCD when it comes to my collection and the red throws my collection off

[quote name='styl3s']This is the greatest hits version right? if so no thanks im OCD when it comes to my collection and the red throws my collection off[/QUOTE]

I got mine from Amazon ($15 Lightning Deal around Black Friday) and it was not a greatest hits cover. YMMV, I guess.

Haven't played it yet, but I played through MGS3 and the cinematic quality of the cut scenes was outstanding. The story (and acting) are another story...

[quote name='styl3s']This is the greatest hits version right? if so no thanks im OCD when it comes to my collection and the red throws my collection off[/QUOTE]

I also got it from the BF sale, and it was not greatest hits, but I think they just recently added that to the product page, so it might be now.

[quote name='Casteor']Fan or not, I think MGS 4 is a MUST for any PS3 owner.[/QUOTE]
Word. You can't call yourself a fan of the PS3 without owning this game. Absolutely phenomenal, and I'm glad I saw it through to the end. Brilliant.

[quote name='dr_illingsworth']I wish I had skipped them. The only game with a stupider story is Eternal Sonata.[/QUOTE]

LMAO, I turned off Eternal Sonaa about 20 minutes in. I just had a feeling it was going nowhere.

If I remember I got it at frys for 55 on release date, but it was the best ps3 game out at the time. The ps3 titles were pretty lacking for a while after the system came out plus I already had my 360 for a year before.

I have it. Enjoyed it.

I'm a fan of the series, but I wouldn't call this one of the definitive PS3 games. It's more of a movie than it is a game, and unless you've been playing since Metal Gear, it's easy to get lost in the long cutscenes.

[quote name='Lord Darkstorn']Word. You can't call yourself a fan of the PS3 without owning this game. Absolutely phenomenal, and I'm glad I saw it through to the end. Brilliant.[/QUOTE]
im sorry but i find it ignorant how people bring up this BS how you cant be a PS3 fan without this game or you cant be a real PS3 fan without liking it.. i know alot of hardcore ps3 gamers that hate this game.. not everyone is into the stealth 90 hour cutscene games

i love the story it's the only reason i like this game, i don't think its some great masterpiece or the best game ever or the best game on the ps3.. its all opinions

I don't know if this affects this game or not, but I bought Uncharted from Amazon as a present for someone, and it was "Greatest Hits"...except the sticker was on the plastic wrap and easy to peel off, with no traces on the actual game case. YMMV though; I don't know if it's common to resticker non-sold copies of games.

As to the game, I had the same impression of the cut-scene:game ratio. I'm not a huge fan of the MGS gameplay style, but I thought that at least the game was very good looking, even if I was watching it more than I played.

bread's done
Back