Collectorz.com "Game Collector Pro" 50% off

Hudson187

CAGiversary!
Feedback
41 (100%)
I know this really isn't "games or accessories", but I'd figure more gamers would see it in this forum.

Collectorz.com is having a 50% off sale on their "Collector Pro" software packages until December 31st; one of them being for games. I personally use it and find it extremely helpful for managing my game collection. I also use the iPhone version (which will sync with the windows software) so that when I go hunting, I know what I already have and what I'm looking for :). They seem to have a great community dedicated to keeping the "vault of data" updated.

http://collectorz.com/game2009

[quote name='Squarehard']Until my word pad system fails me, I just can't justify spending more than $10 for something like this. Good find though.[/QUOTE]

I was able to pick up PRO for $10 dollars.

"Buy" the standard edition with their promo for trying out eMusic if it exists. Credit card required, cancel within a week. NO CHARGE.

This gets you the base software. it's still useful, but PRO is a tad better for reporting and using say iTouch/Smartphone.

I then when to "upgrade" which discounted the PRO to $20, and had used a TWITTER/facebook coupon that they promoted to get half off.

So after all said and done, got Game Collectorz Pro for $10.

Been using it and it's excellent. Definately worth the measily price of say lunch and a good coffee.

Thanks OP. I've been using the trial (which is limited to 50) for a while and I'm about to hit that limit. I couldn't see spending $50 on this but it's well worth $25 to me.

$25 each seems like a rip off

[quote name='xycury']I was able to pick up PRO for $10 dollars.

"Buy" the standard edition with their promo for trying out eMusic if it exists. Credit card required, cancel within a week. NO CHARGE.

This gets you the base software. it's still useful, but PRO is a tad better for reporting and using say iTouch/Smartphone.

I then when to "upgrade" which discounted the PRO to $20, and had used a TWITTER/facebook coupon that they promoted to get half off.

So after all said and done, got Game Collectorz Pro for $10.

Been using it and it's excellent. Definately worth the measily price of say lunch and a good coffee.[/QUOTE]

what's the twitter/facebook coupon?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Jeez, $25 for each?

Before anyone shells out for this, allow me to suggest you first check out the free, open source alternative, GCStar:
http://www.gcstar.org/[/QUOTE]

I'm not going to lie. This is a pretty good program.

[quote name='buckythekat']$25 each seems like a rip off

what's the twitter/facebook coupon?[/QUOTE]
coupon code: clztweetz
$10 off for Twitter followers (you dont actually have to follow them). Can be used on any purchase, as far as I can tell!

Last known use was about a month ago, so it should be good.

I had the wife pick up Movies too for 10 bucks.

I didn't even know about that GCStar, probably would have used that instead, but I've used so much of Collectorz now that it's silly to switch.

Free updates for life once you pay.

[quote name='xycury']coupon code: clztweetz
$10 off for Twitter followers (you dont actually have to follow them). Can be used on any purchase, as far as I can tell!

Last known use was about a month ago, so it should be good.

I had the wife pick up Movies too for 10 bucks.

I didn't even know about that GCStar, probably would have used that instead, but I've used so much of Collectorz now that it's silly to switch.

Free updates for life once you pay.[/QUOTE]

thanks for the code, very much appreciated.

Doesn't look like there's a Mac version. Anyone know the best Mac software for this type of thing?

Poking around on that site I'm somewhat tempted to pick up that barcode scanner. It'd certainly make it easier...

I use version 2.3 of their program and have been holding off on upgrading because of the cost.

At 850 games in my collection, this app has been invaluable at cataloging all of my games and systems for Homeowners insurance purposes.

The nice thing about this app is that they have a huge backend database to do game sku lookups against, which contains release date, publisher, cover art, genre, etc.

Really an excellent tool if you have a huge library, but the freeware options do exist for people with smaller collections.

For the mac users, I remember Shipwreck mentioning a library app he uses a few times on his podcast... Maybe PM him for the name?

edit: bah, this promo doesn't work for upgrades from older versions, looks like $25 is their lowest price.

So what is the advantage of this over a website catalog site like ign collections or even cag's own game collection system? Right now I just use Ign, but I also keep track in my own excel spreadsheet.

I see that you can scan games if you get a scanner, which would be nice but not sure if I would go to that extent.

How does it handle downloadable stuff? Is the database pretty complete to match up with what Steam, XBLA/PSN/Wiiware offer?

[quote name='msdmoney']So what is the advantage of this over a website catalog site like ign collections or even cag's own game collection system? Right now I just use Ign, but I also keep track in my own excel spreadsheet.[/QUOTE]

Well, it's local, for one (which I prefer), and just much more customizable.

GCstar, that is. You'd have to be sort of a moron to pay for this Collectorz crap.

Might be late since I'm on the iPhone but Gamepedia is great for the Macs. Ship talked about it in a podcast and after I tried it out I was hooked. Also syncs nicely with the iPhone

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well, it's local, for one (which I prefer), and just much more customizable.

GCstar, that is. You'd have to be sort of a moron to pay for this Collectorz crap.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't go as far as saying people are moron's for paying for good software.

The iTouch/iPhone app for it is quite good, and since I picked up PRO for just $10, I wouldn't pay any more for it.

If I would have spoted GCstar sooner, I might have gone that route, but I'm happy with the software, and the updates have been free, and supports a full database library of all games.

I would draw the line saying paying any more than $10 for PRO is a moron :lol:

If you have access and a little extra time you can make your own version as well and get exactly what you need in it for collecting/insurance tracking purposes. That's what I'm using a Access 2007 database I built from scratch. Hell I can cross reference anything in my house with it. Pretty much the ultimate in flexibility and it's really not that hard to use. Plus, it does give you a skill that may be useful in the workplace as Access is quite common.

Does this program offer you the chance to say whether your game is complete with box and instructions? Does it also allow you to put down whether or not you have the strategy guide? Does it allow you to say what condition your game is in? If not I may go the access route and then export to excel and keep it on my google docs for quick reference on my iphone.

[quote name='Purkeynator']Does this program offer you the chance to say whether your game is complete with box and instructions? Does it also allow you to put down whether or not you have the strategy guide? Does it allow you to say what condition your game is in? If not I may go the access route and then export to excel and keep it on my google docs for quick reference on my iphone.[/QUOTE]

The program allows you to add fields too, call them anything, like say Complete? Choices could be: Game Only, Game/Book, Game/Inst, or All.

The pro version lets you export and it ties to the Collectorz iphone app too.

[quote name='xycury']The program allows you to add fields too, call them anything, like say Complete? Choices could be: Game Only, Game/Book, Game/Inst, or All.

The pro version lets you export and it ties to the Collectorz iphone app too.[/QUOTE]

SOLD! thanks for the info. If I can get the $10 deal to work then I am in.

I use itrackmine.com, give them a suggestion and they do it. I had them add system names to the exported collection list, add older systems, etc.

If you got the box, just scan away with any cheap upc scanner

Total bummer. I tried to do the $25 with $10 via twitter code and it won't work. You have to back out to the previous pages to find where you enter the code and when you do this it changes the price back to $50 again so you get $10 off of $50 instead of $25. Also I tried what one person suggested and tried to get the free download from completing an offer from a sponser. The E-music offer is no longer on there. The only free one is a 14 day trial from Real Player Super Pass. I googled it and some of the very first things to pop up were that they make it a total hassle to cancel and you have to call them up to cancel and there is no online cancel option. This totally turns me off and I think I am just going to forget about the whole thing. :(

I love DVD Profiler for DVD/BD/HDDVD and I probably have as many games as DVDs if not more--and I've looked at this previously.

Free is good but for this type of software its worth it to me. I've used Gamespot, IGN and CAG for some of this but I like having this data locally.

[quote name='turls']I love DVD Profiler for DVD/BD/HDDVD and I probably have as many games as DVDs if not more--and I've looked at this previously.

Free is good but for this type of software its worth it to me. I've used Gamespot, IGN and CAG for some of this but I like having this data locally.[/QUOTE]

With itrackmine.com you can have the data local; just export it every time you make a change. They export it to a CSV file that almost anything else can import.

Last time I talked to them they even said my suggestion of a pre-order option was being looked at; that way you can track your pre-orders easily.

What I love most about it is the ease to correct mistakes. If a UPC scan incorrectly they usually have it fixed with 6 hours of me reporting it. The owner even sent me a thank you note for some script errors I found and fixed them all within a few days.

I used the trialpay deal to get the Book/Movie/Game programs free

now just trying to figure out if paying $10 for pro is worth it for any of them

[quote name='onapartyrock']With itrackmine.com you can have the data local; just export it every time you make a change. They export it to a CSV file that almost anything else can import.
[/QUOTE]

Looks like itrackmine will import Collectorz data. . . interesting

so how often do updates come out that render the version you have useless unless you pay to upgrade again?? If it were a lifetime of free upgrades, I'd be in for sure, but not if by summer it's going to be obsolete...

I use DVD Profiler (like it says in my sig) and having a program like this is freaking great! But like most people, I've developed a pretty comprehensive spreadsheet for my games that tracks: title, condition, date purchased, place purchased from, and price. I then insert any 'comments' pertaining to the game, condition of purchase or applicable discounts. So the only thing I really miss out on is cover art. If you can't remember what cover art looks like, you shouldn't be gaming...then I can take that excel file and put it on any smartphone or droid phone w/ ease and look at it while I'm in the store.

I looked through itrackmine and it seems interesting but it may not work for me. I typed in "Halo" for example and I had to scroll through tons of books, movies, figures, ect. I would rather limit the search to games, otherwise it could take a while to enter all my stuff. On the positive side I typed in a couple older obscure games to see if it would find them such as Rad Gravity for NES and it did find it on the "search everywhere" feature.

[quote name='Purkeynator']I looked through itrackmine and it seems interesting but it may not work for me. I typed in "Halo" for example and I had to scroll through tons of books, movies, figures, ect. I would rather limit the search to games, otherwise it could take a while to enter all my stuff. On the positive side I typed in a couple older obscure games to see if it would find them such as Rad Gravity for NES and it did find it on the "search everywhere" feature.[/QUOTE]

Try the UPC code for newer items. I bought a scanner and entered over 900 games and movies in a few hours. Those that didn't scan I just set aside and added later. There are a few quirks with the sysem like one UPC code for two items but that might be the manufacturer and not the site's issue.

I personally added over 100 PS2 and PS1 titles myself to their server with cover art. It took maybe and extra 45 seconds per title. But once somebody adds it, everyone gets access to the data and photos.

As more people use it, people with niches say like videogames that are old, then everyone else after the first person who enters the data gets access to it. If you find an error, they fix it quick; example a game had a photo of a PC version instead of the PS3 one - I uploaded the new photo and sent them a message, next day on a secondary account I scanned the item and it was fixed.

Edit:
If enough people ask for a feature it will get added. A few simple ones I asked for were added within a day or two because the owners saw it would make the site more useful. Something like search within categories might take a bit longer, but if you guys join and ask for it then it will happen. I'm going to send them a note on search by categories myself.

[quote name='token2k6']so how often do updates come out that render the version you have useless unless you pay to upgrade again?? If it were a lifetime of free upgrades, I'd be in for sure, but not if by summer it's going to be obsolete...[/QUOTE]

looks like they charge you again for the "major" upgrades

so right now they are on version 3 but when its version 4 you'll have to pay $25

which is why I feel this is all way overpriced but I was willing to get the regular versions for free after the trial pay stuff

anyone have a good program to make your isight a barcode scanner...... itrackmine would be much easier just to have my laptop by my collection and scan away

[quote name='madportagee']anyone have a good program to make your isight a barcode scanner...... itrackmine would be much easier just to have my laptop by my collection and scan away[/QUOTE]

This looks like it would do it:
EvoBarcode

I tried the Cuecat and didn't like it, got a $30 UPC scanner off Ebay and it worked great.

I don't suggest the scanners that hold the UPC code in memory to upload later as if there is an issue with the item not being in the system or wrong info you may not catch it.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']Can I transfer between itrackmine and backloggery? Both seem pretty dang amazing.[/QUOTE]

As long as backloggery has import/export features the only issue would be the status of game play with itrackmine. I suppose that this could be requested, at worst they would just have to add another field and that could be used for movies and books too.

Send them an email requesting it, I actually like the idea of seeing what movies I own that I haven't watched yet.

bread's done
Back