- - - - -

Collectorz.com "Game Collector Pro" 50% off

#31 onapartyrock   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

onapartyrock

Posted 12 December 2009 - 11:15 PM

I use itrackmine.com, give them a suggestion and they do it. I had them add system names to the exported collection list, add older systems, etc.

If you got the box, just scan away with any cheap upc scanner

#32 Purkeynator   Cheap before it was cool CAGiversary!   3239 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Purkeynator

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:02 AM

Total bummer. I tried to do the $25 with $10 via twitter code and it won't work. You have to back out to the previous pages to find where you enter the code and when you do this it changes the price back to $50 again so you get $10 off of $50 instead of $25. Also I tried what one person suggested and tried to get the free download from completing an offer from a sponser. The E-music offer is no longer on there. The only free one is a 14 day trial from Real Player Super Pass. I googled it and some of the very first things to pop up were that they make it a total hassle to cancel and you have to call them up to cancel and there is no online cancel option. This totally turns me off and I think I am just going to forget about the whole thing. :(
trade list (mostly guides with a few boxes and manuals)
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=44132

#33 turls   Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes CAGiversary!   2125 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:12 AM

I love DVD Profiler for DVD/BD/HDDVD and I probably have as many games as DVDs if not more--and I've looked at this previously.

Free is good but for this type of software its worth it to me. I've used Gamespot, IGN and CAG for some of this but I like having this data locally.

#34 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6516 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:32 AM

How many installs do you get with this? Because I would like to try and split this with a friend so it's $5 each.

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.

My Trade List

#35 onapartyrock   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

onapartyrock

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:40 AM

I love DVD Profiler for DVD/BD/HDDVD and I probably have as many games as DVDs if not more--and I've looked at this previously.

Free is good but for this type of software its worth it to me. I've used Gamespot, IGN and CAG for some of this but I like having this data locally.

With itrackmine.com you can have the data local; just export it every time you make a change. They export it to a CSV file that almost anything else can import.

Last time I talked to them they even said my suggestion of a pre-order option was being looked at; that way you can track your pre-orders easily.

What I love most about it is the ease to correct mistakes. If a UPC scan incorrectly they usually have it fixed with 6 hours of me reporting it. The owner even sent me a thank you note for some script errors I found and fixed them all within a few days.

#36 buckythekat   dv8 King of Concerns CAGiversary!   3199 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

buckythekat

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:48 AM

I used the trialpay deal to get the Book/Movie/Game programs free

now just trying to figure out if paying $10 for pro is worth it for any of them

#37 turls   Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes CAGiversary!   2125 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 12:58 AM

With itrackmine.com you can have the data local; just export it every time you make a change. They export it to a CSV file that almost anything else can import.

Looks like itrackmine will import Collectorz data. . . interesting

#38 token2k6   LG FUAD CAGiversary!   4498 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:02 AM

so how often do updates come out that render the version you have useless unless you pay to upgrade again?? If it were a lifetime of free upgrades, I'd be in for sure, but not if by summer it's going to be obsolete...

I use DVD Profiler (like it says in my sig) and having a program like this is freaking great! But like most people, I've developed a pretty comprehensive spreadsheet for my games that tracks: title, condition, date purchased, place purchased from, and price. I then insert any 'comments' pertaining to the game, condition of purchase or applicable discounts. So the only thing I really miss out on is cover art. If you can't remember what cover art looks like, you shouldn't be gaming...then I can take that excel file and put it on any smartphone or droid phone w/ ease and look at it while I'm in the store.

#39 Purkeynator   Cheap before it was cool CAGiversary!   3239 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Purkeynator

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:05 AM

I looked through itrackmine and it seems interesting but it may not work for me. I typed in "Halo" for example and I had to scroll through tons of books, movies, figures, ect. I would rather limit the search to games, otherwise it could take a while to enter all my stuff. On the positive side I typed in a couple older obscure games to see if it would find them such as Rad Gravity for NES and it did find it on the "search everywhere" feature.
trade list (mostly guides with a few boxes and manuals)
http://www.cheapassg...ead.php?t=44132

#40 FadeToOne   It's CAGtastic! CAGiversary!   1868 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

FadeToOne

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:11 AM

www.backlogger.com/fadetoone

Also free.
FadeToOne.png

#41 Saix_XIII   Video Game Addict CAGiversary!   6516 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:14 AM

Fixed

http://www.backloggery.com/fadetoone
also free.

Repetition in a game is NOT a bad thing, almost all games are repetitive. What matters is if YOU enjoy the game, then the repetition becomes enjoyable and doesn't feel monotonous or boring.

My Trade List

#42 onapartyrock   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

onapartyrock

Posted 13 December 2009 - 01:40 AM

I looked through itrackmine and it seems interesting but it may not work for me. I typed in "Halo" for example and I had to scroll through tons of books, movies, figures, ect. I would rather limit the search to games, otherwise it could take a while to enter all my stuff. On the positive side I typed in a couple older obscure games to see if it would find them such as Rad Gravity for NES and it did find it on the "search everywhere" feature.

Try the UPC code for newer items. I bought a scanner and entered over 900 games and movies in a few hours. Those that didn't scan I just set aside and added later. There are a few quirks with the sysem like one UPC code for two items but that might be the manufacturer and not the site's issue.

I personally added over 100 PS2 and PS1 titles myself to their server with cover art. It took maybe and extra 45 seconds per title. But once somebody adds it, everyone gets access to the data and photos.

As more people use it, people with niches say like videogames that are old, then everyone else after the first person who enters the data gets access to it. If you find an error, they fix it quick; example a game had a photo of a PC version instead of the PS3 one - I uploaded the new photo and sent them a message, next day on a secondary account I scanned the item and it was fixed.

Edit:
If enough people ask for a feature it will get added. A few simple ones I asked for were added within a day or two because the owners saw it would make the site more useful. Something like search within categories might take a bit longer, but if you guys join and ask for it then it will happen. I'm going to send them a note on search by categories myself.

#43 Shinobi128   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   45 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Shinobi128

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:11 AM

I looked at the recommendations in this thread. I choose you, itrackmine.

#44 buckythekat   dv8 King of Concerns CAGiversary!   3199 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

buckythekat

Posted 13 December 2009 - 02:21 AM

so how often do updates come out that render the version you have useless unless you pay to upgrade again?? If it were a lifetime of free upgrades, I'd be in for sure, but not if by summer it's going to be obsolete...

looks like they charge you again for the "major" upgrades

so right now they are on version 3 but when its version 4 you'll have to pay $25

which is why I feel this is all way overpriced but I was willing to get the regular versions for free after the trial pay stuff

#45 graf1k   BAM BAM CAGiversary!   2496 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:33 AM

www.backloggery.com/fadetoone

Also free.

Fixed

I second (or third?) that. Backloggery.com is an awesome considering it is free and it has some features I wish Delicious Library would implement.

#46 madportagee   Go for the Gold CAGiversary!   268 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

madportagee

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:02 PM

anyone have a good program to make your isight a barcode scanner...... itrackmine would be much easier just to have my laptop by my collection and scan away

#47 onapartyrock   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

onapartyrock

Posted 13 December 2009 - 04:28 PM

anyone have a good program to make your isight a barcode scanner...... itrackmine would be much easier just to have my laptop by my collection and scan away

This looks like it would do it:
EvoBarcode

I tried the Cuecat and didn't like it, got a $30 UPC scanner off Ebay and it worked great.

I don't suggest the scanners that hold the UPC code in memory to upload later as if there is an issue with the item not being in the system or wrong info you may not catch it.

#48 basilofbkrst   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1320 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

basilofbkrst

Posted 13 December 2009 - 05:55 PM

Can I transfer between itrackmine and backloggery? Both seem pretty dang amazing.

#49 onapartyrock   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

onapartyrock

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:17 PM

Can I transfer between itrackmine and backloggery? Both seem pretty dang amazing.

As long as backloggery has import/export features the only issue would be the status of game play with itrackmine. I suppose that this could be requested, at worst they would just have to add another field and that could be used for movies and books too.

Send them an email requesting it, I actually like the idea of seeing what movies I own that I haven't watched yet.

#50 basilofbkrst   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1320 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

basilofbkrst

Posted 13 December 2009 - 06:31 PM

Id be ok leaving out the status of completion. Just doing the full list twice seems so. . . scary.

Ill send itrack a request about completion of items right after lunch. thanks for the info.

#51 slim016   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   22 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:39 AM

I was able to pick up PRO for $10 dollars.

"Buy" the standard edition with their promo for trying out eMusic if it exists. Credit card required, cancel within a week. NO CHARGE.

This gets you the base software. it's still useful, but PRO is a tad better for reporting and using say iTouch/Smartphone.

I then when to "upgrade" which discounted the PRO to $20, and had used a TWITTER/facebook coupon that they promoted to get half off.

So after all said and done, got Game Collectorz Pro for $10.

Been using it and it's excellent. Definately worth the measily price of say lunch and a good coffee.

i have the standard edition and want to do this $10 upgrade to pro. i tried to do this from the license info but there isn't a place to input the twitter/facebook coupon. how did you do this?

thanx :D

#52 iTrackmine   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   2 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

iTrackmine

Posted 14 December 2009 - 02:49 AM

Thanks onapartyrock for posting!

Our search is comprehensive so it will return a lot. But, each search does an intelligent post-processing to float items it thinks you really want to the top of the results.

Changing the drop-down to "Software & Games" will help. And, entering the UPC/ISBN/EAN or even sometimes the ASIN will really narrow things down.

As long as backloggery has import/export features the only issue would be the status of game play with itrackmine. I suppose that this could be requested, at worst they would just have to add another field and that could be used for movies and books too.

Send them an email requesting it, I actually like the idea of seeing what movies I own that I haven't watched yet.

Now you can specify many things about your items like "viewed" or not (for movies). "Read", "reading, "not read" for books. "Drank" for wines. "In playlist" for music. "Owned" or not, "for sale", "to donate", etc...many, many pieces of meta-data. We added this recently. It's not prominent because it gets to be information overload for our non-techie users.

You can make your own filters (another new feature: under "My Collection"->"My Filters"), for example you could make one to show you: Books by Ray Bradbury that you've read but do not own...or VHS movies you want to donate...or games you used to own for Nintendo 64 and want to buy again the next time you're out.

And, access all this on your iPhone/Android/mobile device.

Another thing I thought I'd mention is that if you're all becoming members, you might "friend" each other. That way you can loan items and check out each others collections (based on privacy rights you grant). It tells you if a friend owns an item while you're in the store so you can borrow from them instead of buying it. Trusted friend ratings, suggested gifts (filtering out items they already own). Cool things like that...

We all like (and use!) the site. :)

-Dean

#53 Kyanos   Big Kitty CAGiversary!   891 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 December 2009 - 04:09 AM

Thanks onapartyrock for posting!

Our search is comprehensive so it will return a lot. But, each search does an intelligent post-processing to float items it thinks you really want to the top of the results.

Changing the drop-down to "Software & Games" will help. And, entering the UPC/ISBN/EAN or even sometimes the ASIN will really narrow things down.

Now you can specify many things about your items like "viewed" or not (for movies). "Read", "reading, "not read" for books. "Drank" for wines. "In playlist" for music. "Owned" or not, "for sale", "to donate", etc...many, many pieces of meta-data. We added this recently. It's not prominent because it gets to be information overload for our non-techie users.

You can make your own filters (another new feature: under "My Collection"->"My Filters"), for example you could make one to show you: Books by Ray Bradbury that you've read but do not own...or VHS movies you want to donate...or games you used to own for Nintendo 64 and want to buy again the next time you're out.

And, access all this on your iPhone/Android/mobile device.

Another thing I thought I'd mention is that if you're all becoming members, you might "friend" each other. That way you can loan items and check out each others collections (based on privacy rights you grant). It tells you if a friend owns an item while you're in the store so you can borrow from them instead of buying it. Trusted friend ratings, suggested gifts (filtering out items they already own). Cool things like that...

We all like (and use!) the site. :)

-Dean

I just attempted to check out your site and it seems to be down at the moment :(

#54 onapartyrock   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

onapartyrock

Posted 14 December 2009 - 11:23 AM

Something itrackmine.com offers too is occassional email alerts as to your collection's value. I just got one today for what I entered so far. Here is what it looks like"

Summary
iTrackmine Update for December 14th, 2009
Total number of items in your collection:951
Added this period:0
Total amount you have entered for your items:$89.98
Total value of your items from store prices:$24,204.35

Wish List
Wish List messages
Deadline passed for onapartyrock's Wish List.onapartyrock's Wish List

So you can see the retail value and you're actual cost if you bothered to enter it, which you can see I have not.

I haven't tried to use everything on the site, but they also offer stuff like loaning your items out and tracking those items which would be useful if you loan to friends or family.

I've only entered about 90% of my movies and 40% of my games so far and really like the site. What I like most was prinitng a book of what I own when a coworker was in town helping me with a project so when he wanted to play some games at night I just gave him the list with a picture of the cover for each game and movie.

Personally I am amazed that they don't charge anything and are so responsive to questions. I sent them a note that there was a discussion about the site here and that there were a few question and the owner joined and posted; if only companies that took our money cared that much.

#55 onapartyrock   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

onapartyrock

Posted 15 December 2009 - 02:50 AM

This is the scanner I am using, it acts like a USB keyboard so I guess it would work with MAC too. Not sure if this is the person I got it from or not, but the scanner is exactly the same.

Link:
Ebay - USB 80mm Long CCD BARCODE SCANNER BAR CODE READER ,082

Works like a champ for me so far.

#56 GrilledWitOnions   Thrillhouse! CAGiversary!   1855 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

GrilledWitOnions

Posted 15 December 2009 - 03:09 AM

I actually have spent a looong time trying to find the perfect cataloging tool for my dvd's and games, and I never really liked Collectorz because, for one, there are separate programs for movies and games. DVD Profiler is pretty nice but there are a lot of features I never used and it was a bit cumbersome. itrackmine I just found out about maybe a week or two ago when looking for new programs, and it seemed very cool, is in my top running right now. Was pretty impressed with a trial of Media Man but it's $40 and that's just too much money for something I could potentially make on my own (and not just an access database but a full on web program - I would just need to learn a bit more about how amazon fetching works). GCStar, I tried to install before and it crashed everytime I opened it up. Might have been when I was messing with Linux a few months back and was looking for a good delicious alternative (pretty much what everything is - such a nice looking program I actually want a mac!)

So, my vote for paid software is Media Man - it's great looking and easy to use. I'm going to check out itrackmine some more though, and maybe GCStar since I like having it all locally.

As for those using CueCats, I've heard the iPhone has a barcode scanner app (and I think the droid does too). I'm holding off on a cuecat until I get a Droid (hopefully in spring) and I can see how that app works.
Also why is it that when i click the "Diablo" picture, i get sent to pc games without the Diablo and even when i searched for Diablo, i get no results.
Oh boy...You said there was going to be Diablo op. Where is my Diablo? I dont see Diablo. You promised me Diablo.

#57 buckythekat   dv8 King of Concerns CAGiversary!   3199 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

buckythekat

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:48 AM

wow this company is quite possibly the greediest I have seen in a while

got an email this morning letting me know about the new "Game Collector Connect" pretty much just an online version of your database (which most other programs provide for free with pro versions, such as DVD Profiler)

but even if you've already bought Game Collector, the Connect feature is $4.99 A MONTH :bomb: that's right, it's a subscription service :wall:

#58 onapartyrock   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

onapartyrock

Posted 15 December 2009 - 11:57 AM

Was pretty impressed with a trial of Media Man but it's $40 and that's just too much money for something I could potentially make on my own...

So, my vote for paid software is Media Man - it's great looking and easy to use. I'm going to check out itrackmine some more though, and maybe GCStar since I like having it all locally.

I know I must sound like an employee, I am not (just a user who found the site via consumerist of gizmodo if I remember correctly), but itrackmine seems to do what Media Man does.

If you could export your data to CSV or excel then to CSV, itrackmine should be able to use your Media Man data already entered.

I'm getting to a point where I am going to start entering all my hardware (TVs, laptops, computers, DVD player, etc) for insurance reasons. I just need to get a cheap camcorder to video tape everything as proof I actually owned everything.

Had a buddy a few months ago go through a house fire, proving he had what he said he did was not as easy as you might think. Having a list and video would have helped him a lot, and since you can have the data locally if you print it or export it in addittion to being on the itrackmine severs; even in a fire your data will not be destroyed. I am going to send a copy of the video to relatives as an offsite backup.

#59 Predator Ranger   Admiral Awesome CAGiversary!   2675 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Predator Ranger

Posted 15 December 2009 - 12:41 PM

I'm tagging this thread -- I'd like to check out all the suggestions made in here this weekend, so thanks to all who have posted them :)
Posted Image

#60 Jhriad   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   51 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 15 December 2009 - 01:31 PM

GCstar

Works great for me and it's free. I looked at that Collectorz stuff a while back and while I liked it there just wasn't any reason for me to pay money for something that GCstar does admirably already. It doesn't work on iPhones (so far as I know) but it's great for cataloging your games on your PC.