Removing stickers from paper?

EeveeFanboy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
It's about time I stopped being lazy and removed all of the used stickers from my Gamestop games. But how do you remove them without damaging the paper insert? I heard lighter fluid. Do you just dab it on with a Q-tip or soak it in the stuff? And does the paper not absorb the fluid at all?

if theyre on the paper then yeah the paper will absorb whatever you put on it.
i had success freezing the inserts and peeling the stickers from them.

Use a hair dryer to get the stickers hot. I just did this about an hour ago. it works perfectly - they peel right off.

I peel them off. Any glue left on I remove with a rag dampened with a couple of drops of paint thinner.

Freezing didn't seem to work flawlessly, although I was using a useless Gamestop cover for test purposes, and those things are more papery than real inserts that feel somewhat plasticy, so maybe they stick better on them. I'll give a hair dryer a spin next, although knowing me, I'll ruin the paper :p

I don't buy used games because I think it's so ghetto. They used to put the stickers on the case, but that wasn't good enough, so they started adding stickers to the instruction books and the insert.

fuck used games, but if you have to roll ghetto and buy used shit, try some Goo Gone.

[quote name='Haggar']so they started adding stickers to the instruction books and the insert.[/QUOTE]
They do dat now?!

Yeah they do, I've bought extra cases sometimes to replace their crap ones.
As for removing their stickers without any help, just do it very very slow, if some of it stays on the plastic, go work on another corner.

The hairdryer is the best method... but most people fuck it up. It's not that hard but does take a bit of time.

[quote name='Haggar']I don't buy used games because I think it's so ghetto. They used to put the stickers on the case, but that wasn't good enough, so they started adding stickers to the instruction books and the insert.

fuck used games, but if you have to roll ghetto and buy used shit, try some Goo Gone.[/QUOTE]

If we're talking about Gamestop, I haven't seen a sticker on a manual in ages... since before the GS/EB merger. Now, GS did start putting stickers on the case insert's spine about a year back (though many just put it in without peeling the sticker from the sheet) but they usually put most of the stickers on the outside of the case.

Dude I did this for YEARS...

use 'GOO GONE'...on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/MAGIC-AMERICA...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1261029149&sr=8-1

You can also buy it at Walmart, Home Depot etc.

NOTHING I have ever used works like this does. It works, plain and simple and wont mess your stuff up.

I used to work at a video store back when VHS was used and when removing those annoying grey stickers that would leave that twice as annoying sticky grey 'VOID' junk underneath...NOTHING would cut through that gunk like Goo Gone...nothing.

...and these Gamestop stickers arent even that bad compared to that. So ie. if Goo Gone ripped through that stuff these Gamestop stickers are easy with Goo Gone.

The stores sticking the prices to the spine are actually just failing at directions... as was said above the sticker is to be left on the paper... There is TONS of flaws of sticking the sticker inside... including if the product hangs around for a while you would eventually have to replace the whole freaken case.

[quote name='IronsideGrunt']Dude I did this for YEARS...

use 'GOO GONE'...on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/MAGIC-AMERICA...1?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1261029149&sr=8-1

NOTHING I have ever used works like this does. It works, plain and simple and wont mess your stuff up.

I used to work at a video store back when VHS was used and when removing those annoying grey stickers that would leave that twice as annoying sticky grey 'VOID' junk underneath...NOTHING would cut through that gunk like Goo Gone...nothing.

...and these Gamestop stickers arent even that bad compared to that. So ie. if Goo Gone ripped through that stuff these Gamestop stickers are easy with Goo Gone.[/QUOTE]
+1! I peel carefully and ussually get them off even if on the spine. Then lightly touch with goo gone for anything left.

This is probably obvious, but when working with paper I either use the sticker itself or a piece of duct tape to remove all of the little pieces that get stuck. You have to be careful working with paper, but just "dab" at the remaining sticker pieces after you have picked as much off as you can with your fingernail. Duct tape can be too strong sometimes, so just use a small corner of the tape to pull up on the paper so it doesn't rip. I find that this is the best way to get that sticky residual crap off of paper, plastic covers, etc. aside from using hardcore stuff like Goo Gone which is pretty amazing but could damage the surface.

[quote name='ExeterBlue']This is probably obvious, but when working with paper I either use the sticker itself or a piece of duct tape to remove all of the little pieces that get stuck. You have to be careful working with paper, but just "dab" at the remaining sticker pieces after you have picked as much off as you can with your fingernail. Duct tape can be too strong sometimes, so just use a small corner of the tape to pull up on the paper so it doesn't rip. I find that this is the best way to get that sticky residual crap off of paper, plastic covers, etc. aside from using hardcore stuff like Goo Gone which is pretty amazing but could damage the surface.[/QUOTE]

What he said. I just go slow and steady and use the sticker itself to get rid of the leftovers. If there is any stubborn stuff left on there, just a very small amount of googone does the trick every time.

put a couple paper towels or just a rag on top of the sticker and use a iron to get it hot then peel away works prety good

[quote name='Haggar']I don't buy used games because I think it's so ghetto. They used to put the stickers on the case, but that wasn't good enough, so they started adding stickers to the instruction books and the insert.

fuck used games, but if you have to roll ghetto and buy used shit, try some Goo Gone.[/QUOTE]

I do believe you are on the wrong site if you have a problem buying used.

fuck used games??? Used games are a significant part of being Cheap Ass...

[quote name='Rollett']The stores sticking the prices to the spine are actually just failing at directions... as was said above the sticker is to be left on the paper...[/QUOTE]

While I'd like to think that's the case, and I have seen stores in other areas that do leave the stickers on their backing paper, every GameStop in this area sticks them directly onto the cover art. Not the case, but the actual insert itself. There's no good reason for it. Honestly, it's costing them business, because I know that I shop there considerably less because of it, and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

use 'GOO GONE' [...]

NOTHING I have ever used works like this does. It works, plain and simple and wont mess your stuff up.[/QUOTE]

Is this safe to use on the stickers that have been stuck directly to the paper cover insert, though? It really won't damage the insert at all? I mean, I know it's great (and I've used it) for stickers stuck to the plastic case, but I've been hesitant to try it on the stickers on the inserts.

I've got a copy of SMT: Devil Summoner that I've wanted to remove the sticker from, but I've honestly been afraid to even try because I don't want to mess it up. I was thrilled to find it, given how hard to find it's become, but damn that sticker on there pisses me off.

The policies seem to vary here, its as if they change the policies every few months. Now they are using white stickers instead of yellow, and it looks like they stopped sticking the stickers on the artwork, however that does not account for how many games have stickers still on the artwork from previous policies.

I bought a game yesterday and it did not have stickers on the artwork and the game was recently stickered with a january date on the sticker, I don't normally buy used games from GS but this was a copy of Monster kingdom jewel summoner for the PSP, which is a pretty rare game and it was only 9.99 so I was not going to pass that up.

[quote name='arcane93']Is this safe to use on the stickers that have been stuck directly to the paper cover insert, though? It really won't damage the insert at all? I mean, I know it's great (and I've used it) for stickers stuck to the plastic case, but I've been hesitant to try it on the stickers on the inserts.

I've got a copy of SMT: Devil Summoner that I've wanted to remove the sticker from, but I've honestly been afraid to even try because I don't want to mess it up. I was thrilled to find it, given how hard to find it's become, but damn that sticker on there pisses me off.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't use it on artwork. That stuff is like lacquer thinner. It'll more than likely wipe the ink off of the paper.

[quote name='Access_Denied']I wouldn't use it on artwork. That stuff is like lacquer thinner. It'll more than likely wipe the ink off of the paper.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that was my assumption as well, which is why I hadn't tried it yet. It would be nice, though, if there were something that could be used on artwork.

[quote name='Tony208']As for removing their stickers without any help, just do it very very slow, if some of it stays on the plastic, go work on another corner.[/QUOTE]
This is what I do. I don't know why they put stickers on the paper! Putting it on the plastic is one thing, but the paper is risky.

As for a future tip. Look for cases with newer stickers. They come off far easier.

According to the stamp-collecting community, steam is the enemy of adhesive. However, unknown to the stamp-collecting community, moisture is also the enemy of many species of paper. Just toss some used postage into a tea cup of hot water to see why philately is a dying breed.

[quote name='onapartyrock']I use this...
Un-Du 4 Ounce Adhesive Remover

I've used it on the artwork itself with no issues. Was recommended to me by a person who restores old photographs.

https://un-du.com/[/QUOTE]

Hm . . . now that looks promising. I'll have to look into it. Thanks!

Odd that it's a lot more expensive on Amazon than it is ordering directly from their site (though I haven't clicked through to see what they charge for shipping yet . . . ). I wonder if I could find it at Target or Home Depot or somewhere like that.

...and these Gamestop stickers arent even that bad compared to that. So ie. if Goo Gone ripped through that stuff these Gamestop stickers are easy with Goo Gone.[/QUOTE]

I agree goo gone is by far the best in removing sticker glue. The only flaw maybe is that it works too well by also removing the artwork too.

bread's done
Back