Team Fortress 2 Free Weekend Starts Thursday 12/17

You will only be able to play for free over the weekend. After that, you gotta pay. There will probably be a sale on the game over the weekend as they did with all other updates. (Usually $10)

[quote name='Casteor']Ah crap, I just started redling steam. I'm not going to bother with TF2 then, lol.[/QUOTE]

Cripes, you're cheap.

Sigh. I have this on the Orange Box on 360 (which seems to be infinitely less exciting than on the the PC), and I foolishly passed up the Orange Box on PC when it was insanely cheap (since I have the original Half-Life 2 GOTY edition), so I still don't have this on PC...

If they have this on sale this weekend, I will likely snap it up (finally).

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Oh, crap- an update? How did this slip by me for so long? o_O; Any news on what it's going to contain?[/QUOTE]

New weapons for Solider and Demo. Demo is getting a sword ("The Eyelander") and shield ("The Chargin' Targe") plus another ATM unknown item.

http://www.teamfortress.com/demomanupdate/index.htm#item_1

Solider is getting a sharpshooting rocket launcher ("The Direct Hit") and two ATM unknown items

http://www.teamfortress.com/soldierupdate/index.htm#item_1

And they are both currently at war with each other in the game. Whoever gets the most kills on the other within the amount of time (guessing whenever the new update drops) will be awarded a special 4th new weapon which is unknown at the moment as well.

http://www.teamfortress.com/war/part1/

[quote name='Spiraea']New weapons for Solider and Demo. Demo is getting a sword ("The Eyelander") and shield ("The Chargin' Targe") plus another ATM unknown item.

http://www.teamfortress.com/demomanupdate/index.htm#item_1

Solider is getting a sharpshooting rocket launcher ("The Direct Hit") and two ATM unknown items

http://www.teamfortress.com/soldierupdate/index.htm#item_1

And they are both currently at war with each other in the game. Whoever gets the most kills on the other within the amount of time (guessing whenever the new update drops) will be awarded a special 4th new weapon which is unknown at the moment as well.

http://www.teamfortress.com/war/part1/[/QUOTE]
All of that sounds so fucking awesome. I can't wait for this. :D What a GREAT way to end finals week. ^_^ *Goes back to studying*

If you do not own this game..you should. The team supports it so much and they seem to be always having fun with it. They made a huge comic out of this update alone! its awesome!

[quote name='Viperk88']If you do not own this game..you should. The team supports it so much and they seem to be always having fun with it. They made a huge comic out of this update alone! its awesome![/QUOTE]

Everyone should already own it, considering it was on sale for a paltry 2.50 when the last update was released. 2.50. People probably spend more than that in gas pursuing certain deals. I somewhat suspect they'll have another deal (but perhaps not as spectacular) this weekend.

Also might be a decent time to plug the Official TF2 thread - http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212644&page=56

This is a terrible game that will eat up more time than it should. It's WOW for 1st person shooters.

Run while you still can.

[quote name='Casteor']So we get the free DL forever or is the dl temporary?[/QUOTE]

temp, it will expire. this game is really fun. the first time i played it i was hooked for 4 hours straight. this is coming from someone who has kids, lol.

Okay seriously isn't this is like the 4th or 5th free weekend of Team Fortress 2? If you don't have this game. BUY IT NOW!!!

TF2 IS similiar to WoW in that you don't need an epic PC to play it. Def should at least give the free weekend a try to see how well it runs on yours

[quote name='speedracer']This is a terrible game that will eat up more time than it should. It's WOW for 1st person shooters.

Run while you still can.[/QUOTE]

Wait, what?
SYBWYC

I assume for the first couple weekends people are going to get ravaged by The direct hit. Faster rockets are going to be hard to get used to.

It's an interesting weapon, the best soldiers are good at popping people up, then killing them in the air, so with the smaller blast radius it's hard to say if this is going to be a better or worse weapon for them.

[quote name='wakawakawa']I assume for the first couple weekends people are going to get ravaged by The direct hit. Faster rockets are going to be hard to get used to.

It's an interesting weapon, the best soldiers are good at popping people up, then killing them in the air, so with the smaller blast radius it's hard to say if this is going to be a better or worse weapon for them.[/QUOTE]

The real question is how long is it gonna take for the soldiers that are good at direct air hits to adjust to the new rocket speed. Direct air hitting isn't a skill that comes without practice and experience.

I've been a 20 hour per week player for years now. Slow down fellas.

It's easily the best FPS in the last 5 years. Easily the most updated with fresh content that changes the game while maintaining an incredible level of balance. The only game I could think of that came even close to the level of attention Steam gives TF2 is Blizzard's WoW. It was a compliment.

Divorce, break up, or otherwise shun everyone important to you after buying this game. You don't need them anyway. They'll just get between you and delicious sandvich.

[quote name='speedracer']I've been a 20 hour per week player for years now. Slow down fellas.

It's easily the best FPS in the last 5 years. Easily the most updated with fresh content that changes the game while maintaining an incredible level of balance. The only game I could think of that came even close to the level of attention Steam gives TF2 is Blizzard's WoW. It was a compliment.

Divorce, break up, or otherwise shun everyone important to you after buying this game. You don't need them anyway. They'll just get between you and delicious sandvich.[/QUOTE]
except in his post, He typed in these words in the same sentence "horrible", "this", "is" and "game" and that ticked a few people off. lol

I really like TF2.
i dont know why people bother with Modern Warfare 2 or any other bland and unoriginal shooter for that matter. Battlfield Bad Company 2 seems promising but i may stick with Tf2 until a GOOD, FUN, BALANCED (Demoman can be argued here :bomb:) shooter comes out or
TF3 comes out but i would like Half life 3 or Episode 3 first :roll:

on a side note:
Gabe wants to work on either Counter-Strike 2 or Portal 2.
CS ftw.

I would take a CS2 first, anyday.

However, it'd be hard to call it CS2, technically there's been a 2, but bring it on I say!

Then again, a second one Valve made, the first one would most likely fall under mod or something.

I have the game from when it was 2.50. However I played a match and everyone had unlocked weapons and hats and I got stomped. . . I don't play anymore.

You got stomped for lack of skill not lack of weapons. That's the difference between this and WoW.

WoW = grind for 80 hours and you'll be better than the guy who can only spend 10 hours. In this game if you have skill and teamwork - it doesn't matter what hat you're wearing or weapon you're using.

The unlocks aren't BETTER you know. They are just different - in fact many of them are worse in general conditions.

[quote name='fake larry']You got stomped for lack of skill not lack of weapons. That's the difference between this and WoW.

WoW = grind for 80 hours and you'll be better than the guy who can only spend 10 hours. In this game if you have skill and teamwork - it doesn't matter what hat you're wearing or weapon you're using.

The unlocks aren't BETTER you know. They are just different - in fact many of them are worse in general conditions.[/QUOTE]

A) don't bring your WoW hate here. It's unrelated and just ra-ude.

B) I'm aware the unlocks are situationally better or worse but it makes me feel better to pretend that why I got stomped. Not that I feel bad for it as it was my first match and all.

[quote name='basilofbkrst']A) don't bring your WoW hate here. It's unrelated and just ra-ude.

B) I'm aware the unlocks are situationally better or worse but it makes me feel better to pretend that why I got stomped. Not that I feel bad for it as it was my first match and all.[/QUOTE]

WoW sucks ;)

Totally ignored what you said.

... haha, no-- I know what you mean. Skill is important.

[quote name='cochesecochese']Is he the only class without an update?[/QUOTE]

Yep. After this update, all that's left to do is the engineer. The question is, what will come after that?

[quote name='cochesecochese']Is he the only class without an update?[/QUOTE]
Not only is he the last, but quite a few of the Demoman and Soldier achievements involve killing the poor bastard and his toys.

[quote name='da2730da']I remember when they were selling these like candy -_- wasn't it 4$ per pop? Man, I should have stocked up.[/QUOTE]
$2.50, actually.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Yep. After this update, all that's left to do is the engineer. The question is, what will come after that?[/QUOTE]
My guess is that we wont see many more updates. I could see Valve maybe releasing 1 new weapon per class or something like that but I doubt they'll go through and give each class another new set of 3 new weapons.

I would guess most of the patches after the Engie update will be to fix bugs, tweak the gameplay and add community maps as official maps.

Who knows, maybe Valve will surprise us and give the game even more support. If they just want to keep on updating TF2 instead of working on a TF3 I would be fine with that.

[quote name='Kaijufan']My guess is that we wont see many more updates. I could see Valve maybe releasing 1 new weapon per class or something like that but I doubt they'll go through and give each class another new set of 3 new weapons.

I would guess most of the patches after the Engie update will be to fix bugs, tweak the gameplay and add community maps as official maps.

Who knows, maybe Valve will surprise us and give the game even more support. If they just want to keep on updating TF2 instead of working on a TF3 I would be fine with that.[/QUOTE]
they already started updating and the ball is rolling. they just cant stop now.

The engie will receive his update. Probably a robot, or a sentry pet that follows him. i would like both. :D
After that...Hats. That is right, HATS. Hats everywhere...damn it Valve.

We wont see TF3 until they update their engine. Frankly, i really want them to work and update their engine. it is good and all, but there are better engines out there. (Killzone 2's engine and Red Faction Guerilla Engine.)
When Source came out, it was ground-breaking technology. Now, the engine isnt much.

Wish for a Source 2 Engine then a CS2 then a Portal 2, and a Tf3 but i know that Valve will definitely release Half Life 3 or Episode 3 when the new engine comes in. They just have to. ;)

Didn't the engie already get updates? Not like the rest, but being able upgrade the transporter and dispenser was huge. I wonder how much farther they're willing to go with him.

[quote name='speedracer']Didn't the engie already get updates? Not like the rest, but being able upgrade the transporter and dispenser was huge. I wonder how much farther they're willing to go with him.[/QUOTE]
yeah a small surprising update :roll:

Engineer's upgrades are on the same lines as Pyro getting Compression Air Blast, Scout being able to double jump with The Sandman, Soldiers and Demomen's weapons getting bigger blast radiuses and Medic getting Crits with the Blutsauger. Nothing more than an upgrade to existing weapons.

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']Yep. After this update, all that's left to do is the engineer. The question is, what will come after that?[/QUOTE]

Scarves and shoes to match those hats.

Fierce.

bread's done
Back