Direct2Drive (PC) - Torchlight ($9.95)

EliotAndrews

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
Miss Steam's deal? Direct2Drive has the LITE substitute for a decent price.

8663n.jpg

Torchlight ($9.95) - Direct2Drive
http://www.direct2drive.com/3/8663/product/Buy-Torchlight-Download

There's no indication of how long the deal will last. For Steam users, this game CANNOT be bought on D2D and activated on Steam. (More Info) So, if you're into Steam Achievements, you won't be able to earn them here.

UPDATE: On the US Direct2Drive website, today's Ornament is Torchlight:

d2dornament21.jpg

This has occurred despite the game already having a 50% price drop. It is suspected that, due to Steam's preemptive $9.99 sale, D2D may be retaliating with an even lower price.

The current estimated price is $7.98 (60% off).

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a dumb question, but I'm ignorant on Steam achievements: Is it possible to buy a non-steam version of a game and still get the steam achievements? Like, can I link the game to my account and get achievements on Steam?

The only games Ive bought on steam that have achievements are Valve games. And Universe at War, but that's GFW....

[quote name='NutManIV']Probably a dumb question, but I'm ignorant on Steam achievements: Is it possible to buy a non-steam version of a game and still get the steam achievements? Like, can I link the game to my account and get achievements on Steam?

The only games Ive bought on steam that have achievements are Valve games. And Universe at War, but that's GFW....[/QUOTE]

If we're talking digitally distributed titles, it's possible for a very few titles. I think Saint's Row 2 is one of them; I remember people here saying Steam was required to play it.

The answer is generally no, though.

I was really looking forward to this then I found out it doesn't support any multiplayer, which is why I enjoyed Diablo so much...with this year's game back log and deals, I don't even think I'd have time to enjoy this until the next great cag priced game becomes available.

I agree - Dungeon-crawling is all well and good, but it'd also be nice to fight and explore with friends.

More than anything else, I hope multiplayer is implemented if a sequel is announced.

Thanks, I gotta get this for my brother. He doesn't really have an internet connection so I think Steam is out of the question. So guessing I can download and transfer it to his computer and activate with code on there.

[quote name='EliotAndrews']I agree - Dungeon-crawling is all well and good, but it'd also be nice to fight and explore with friends.

More than anything else, I hope multiplayer is implemented if a sequel is announced.[/QUOTE]

Your wish is Runic's command.

The proceeds of this game are going towards the development of a free to play MMO using the same game engine. Development is already underway. From what I gathered on an interview with the Idle Thumbs podcast (RIP) Torchlight is the equivalent of one city in the MMO, which will have dozens of them.

TL is a high quality game, my downloadable title of the year by far. Add the mods and you could play this until the MMO comes out. I hope they allow us to import our characters... :)

Steam cloud support really nails it for me over the D2D version though; I play the game at multiple PCs and not having to worry abt dragging my save folder around with me is awesome.

For 10 bucks, Its a great deal. I played the demo and was thinking about buying it at 20 bucks, then the steam deal came and bought it. Its a lot like diablo 2 with a different art style.

[quote name='tripredicus']Your wish is Runic's command.

The proceeds of this game are going towards the development of a free to play MMO using the same game engine. Development is already underway. From what I gathered on an interview with the Idle Thumbs podcast (RIP) Torchlight is the equivalent of one city in the MMO, which will have dozens of them.

TL is a high quality game, my downloadable title of the year by far. Add the mods and you could play this until the MMO comes out. I hope they allow us to import our characters... :)

Steam cloud support really nails it for me over the D2D version though; I play the game at multiple PCs and not having to worry abt dragging my save folder around with me is awesome.[/QUOTE]

Basicly a copy of another 'failed" free MMORPG game Mythos (which i hear is comming back a Korean company now owns it) Torchlight is made by the same people that made Mythos (well several of the same people). Mythos failed as it had no way to make an Income, nothing. Torchlight is almost an exact copy. But as it was made later the grpahics are better, but they both share the same style, gameplay (with diablo) and almost the EXACT same 3 classes. The same random dungeon scrolls, like i say its as close to a copy as it can get without legal problems (and there may be some of those depending on how Mythos was bought).

With all that said Torchlight is worht $10 excellent fun if very short. Good primer for the MMORPG when and if it comes.

Heads up to all, D2D just placed Torchlight in today's Ornament. (US Website) I'm hopeful that the price goes down even further than the current $9.95 sale price.

If the game becomes $5, those that haven't picked up the game should do so.

bread's done
Back