Darksiders anyone? GOW+Zelda baby confirmed! :)

darknight88

CAGiversary!
Feedback
56 (100%)
darksiders-ps3-box.jpg

Amazon - $54.99 (free shipping with free trial running this month)

Main Site

Gametrailers Videos Previews

Release Date
NA | January 5, 2010 (Street Dated)
EUR|AUS | January 7, 2010
ASIA | January 8, 2010

Trophies: http://www.ps3trophies.org/game/darksiders/trophies/

DLC - The Harvester Weapon FREE

The Harvester | Code to unlock exclusive in-game weapon. This powerful weapon belongs to the rider of the pale horse. Its enormous, fearsome blade can cleave through flesh, bone, and even the ethereal demons of Hell. Though its jagged blade is deadly, the power locked within makes its master like unto a god. It can also cut through an aluminum can, and never needs sharpening. Note: The code for unlocking The Harvester is universal. Once you obtain the game, go into the in-game options and choose "Enter Code". Type in the code "The Hollow Lord". This code is space and case-sensitive. After that, the weapon will be available for sale from Vulgrim.

SCORES

9.0|10 - IGN AU "Editor's Choice"
8.5|10 - GameInformer (US)

10|10 - Play Magazine (US)
9.5|10 - PLAYR (UK)
95% - GameVortex
9.3|10 - Hobby Consalas (SP)
9.2|10 - GamePro (DE)
9|10 - GameInformer (AU)
9|10 - Play Gamer (UK)
9|10 - 360 Gamer (UK) "Gold Award"
9|10 - Power Unlimited (NL)
8.8|10 - ConsolPLUS (DE) "Console Best Choice"

Anyone excited for this game? I cant wait till it comes out. Sadly I dont have too much $$ and my job aint going as smooth as I'd like it to be so I cant go buying games like I used to. Will buy probably end of Feb or cheap here.

Also I got a favor to ask CAGers. If you guys are preordering from Amazon(US), could I get your Home code? Im so pissed Im gonna be missing this cool Home avatar outfit thing. Im a huge Home fan but sadly I got other priorities to take care of. For the help, ill be giving out a GOD3 demo code/ModRacers code if Im helped, sorry to be begging :(

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen a few Euro reviews and they seem very positive!! Most are above 8 which is crazy since I thought it wasnt gonna be that great so Im hyped.

yup but im afraid it wont do well since Bayonetta is launching on the same day I think. Maybe it will but who knows. Anyone know anything about marketing support?

I've already preordered from Best Buy through the Rewards Zone just so that I can get a hold of one of those 7" war figurines... Came out to ~$68 w/ tax and shipping, which kind of sucks, but oh well. The only other place that I believe has the figurine with the preorder is Game Crazy. Anyone else know a good, cheaper alternative for the figurine?

Well, that's pretty much the price to pay if you want the figurine. I was initially motivated to get the War figurine too, but it's a bit too much, i rather just play the game. Of course, i believe the figurine can fetch some good money on eBay.

I put down a $5 pre-order at Gamestop the other day after unloading some games(including 2 copies of Fairytale Fights lmao), as well as a $5 PO on God Of War 3.

Although I'll probably pay off the GOW3 PO and cancel the Darksiders one eventually, since I'm not about to pay MSRP for a game, unless it's with cheap credit from flipping.

It seems like a game in the same vein as God Of War, so why not just take a wait and see approach on this game or at least put $5-10 down on it, then wait for the reviews to come out for it to make your decision?

Personally, there's just too many games coming out that I either want or may consider buying this next coming year. Besides Darksiders, there's God Of War 3, Dante's Inferno, Bad Company 2, Just Cause 2, Red Dead Redemption, etc, etc, etc.

I'm going to take a wait and see approach on these games though, since I'm so used to paying $30 or under for most titles I want that it's just not worth it to spend MSRP on any one game anymore.

Free DLC THANX to GAF!

The Harvester | Code to unlock exclusive in-game weapon. This powerful weapon belongs to the rider of the pale horse. Its enormous, fearsome blade can cleave through flesh, bone, and even the ethereal demons of Hell. Though its jagged blade is deadly, the power locked within makes its master like unto a god. It can also cut through an aluminum can, and never needs sharpening. Note: The code for unlocking The Harvester is universal. Once you obtain the game, go into the in-game options and choose "Enter Code". Type in the code "The Hollow Lord". This code is space and case-sensitive. After that, the weapon will be available for sale from Vulgrim.

GameStop is advertising the Harvester as a pre-order exclusive. Glad to see it's not. I still want to pre-order it there since you get a lot of extras for no charge. And I have a $50 GS gift card.

I'm really looking forward to it.

yea but I heard GS aint giving bonus items anymore due to limited supply and has been depleted or something so those worried about the DLC can preorder away at other places such as Amazon,Gamecrazy.

DLC code is universal!!!

I just saw they changed it on the site. I'm gonna try pre-ordering at a store and getting there ASAP. They usually do things first come, first serve.

I am more excited about this than Bayonetta and AoT:40th Day, but early March is starting to look really heavy (Yakuza 3, Resonance of Fate and maybe FFXIII), so I may end up holding off so that I can get some of those titles on day one.

I went to GameStop and asked if they were offering any bonus. The guy said it was the comic and Harvester code. I pre-ordered it and he gave me the comic. It's a comic with some concept art. I'd normally wait for a sale but I have a $50 GS gift card to use. Last year I got $200 and spent almost $160 of it on a DSi bundle a month ago.

[quote name='TC']Any news of a demo for this?[/QUOTE]

Sadly devs have stated no demo is coming, although it was planned at one point. Sucks donky nutts but the Zelda stuff is insta buy for some. Sadly cant buy till Feb.

I pre-ordered from my local Gamestop last night and the guy handed me the graphic novel. It's pretty cool.

Now I am debating on whether I should cancel my pre-order or not. The game looks really good but I have a substantial backlog already and not as much time to play games as I'd like.

I didn't get shit when I pre-ordered this game last week(put the usual $5 down on it), so i guess I'm going to go to the GS I did the PO at and ask where the graphic novel bonus is for my PO.

If they say they have no more, then I cancel, which I was gonna do anyway since this is a GOW clone and only worth about $25 to me.

I'll wait till there's a used copy and it has dropped to $25, which shouldn't take long with the glut of games due out.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I didn't get shit when I pre-ordered this game last week(put the usual $5 down on it), so i guess I'm going to go to the GS I did the PO at and ask where the graphic novel bonus is for my PO.

If they say they have no more, then I cancel, which I was gonna do anyway since this is a GOW clone and only worth about $25 to me.

I'll wait till there's a used copy and it has dropped to $25, which shouldn't take long with the glut of games due out.[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of Dante's Inferno.

Yea this game is no GOW clone. Its more of a mix of GOW+DMC with sweet Zelda stuff.

Dante's Inferno is a straight GOW clone. The devs just took all the ideas from GOW and changed textures. Does not deserve to get sales in my book.

CheapestG, lol, agree with icedrake, you're thinking about Dante's Inferno :)

Darksider has Zelda elements in it, so it's if you're a Zelda fan, this title can't go wrong. I doubt this title will be $25 within the first few months. I simply dig the characters in this game, good art works! Damn, they should have a LE or something, with art book...

[quote name='Serpentor'] Damn, they should have a LE or something, with art book...[/QUOTE]

You get a graphic novel with a prequel comic and concept art when you pre-order at GameStop.

[quote name='icedrake523']You get a graphic novel with a prequel comic and concept art when you pre-order at GameStop.[/QUOTE]

I didn't get one, so I've gotta hit up GS in a day or so(haven't been back since trading in 2 copies of Fairytale Fights and doing the $20 off any purchase promo by trading in GTAIV), but I'm sure I'll be told that 'they're out of them'.

In that case I cancel that pre-order and I wait for the price to drop. Mind you, I planned on cancelling anyway. This game comes out in the next week or so, right? So if I cancel after release, then the employee still gets full credit for the pre-order I'm assuming.

[quote name='icedrake523']Would you return the graphic novel if you get one and cancel after its released?[/QUOTE]

Would you? They just throw out the pre-order bonuses(or the employees hoard them), so I doubt I would return it if I cancelled. I plan on getting the game anyway, just not at release and sure as hell not for $60.

Game looks really interesting and was not on my radar until this thread really. I have too much back logged on top of a few games I already preordered coming out soonish... but I will definitely give this a go. I'll probably get it in a handful of months. Hopefully I can get a somewhat decent deal on it. If not, I'll still grab it.

Any release day sales on this? I've got credit at Gamestop, but I want the BestBuy pre-order stuff. If someone has it on sale, i'd definitely do a price match to BB

[quote name='darknight88']Yea this game is no GOW clone. Its more of a mix of GOW+DMC with sweet Zelda stuff.

Dante's Inferno is a straight GOW clone. The devs just took all the ideas from GOW and changed textures. Does not deserve to get sales in my book.[/QUOTE]

Funny how GoW did that to DMC, yet GoW still got sales.

Complain some more, please. Dante's Inferno is damn fun; it's a new genre of games, ALL OF WHICH is taken 100% from DMC. Are you not going to play or buy Bayonetta either because it's like DMC, GoW, or any other game in that genre? Give me a break, you people are unreal with this crap.

As for Darksiders, after watching a video of it, I canceled my pre-order (a 30 minute gameplay video). It just didn't look that fun or interesting, but I could be wrong. I have it as a rental on Gamefly, and can always buy it on there if I really do enjoy it.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Funny how GoW did that to DMC, yet GoW still got sales.

Complain some more, please. Dante's Inferno is damn fun; it's a new genre of games, ALL OF WHICH is taken 100% from DMC. Are you not going to play or buy Bayonetta either because it's like DMC, GoW, or any other game in that genre? Give me a break, you people are unreal with this crap.

As for Darksiders, after watching a video of it, I canceled my pre-order (a 30 minute gameplay video). It just didn't look that fun or interesting, but I could be wrong. I have it as a rental on Gamefly, and can always buy it on there if I really do enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Lets see GOW style is so different than DMC. Yes it took some ideas and made them its own. QTE combat, gory mature storyline and stuff like camera angles, pacing...etc.

If you look as DI, the character itself looks like a cheap copy of Kratos, down to the camera angles on the game. Wait you can dodge with R3? hmm. You can hold L1 to do advance moves...hmmm QTEs....hmmm....you can ride huge monster ala cyclopes in GOW3...hmmm. (opening doors, moving levers is the same as in GOW down to animation...lame) The list goes on.

Yea DI is a straight GOW clone while GOW was never a "DMC clone" since it had its own thing going on, specially art style. Or your blind fanboyism will tell me you can ride cyclopses in DMC, have QTE during gameplay, dodge with R3, advanced attacks? If GOW had guns, I would agree GOW was a DMC clone.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']Funny how GoW did that to DMC, yet GoW still got sales.

As for Darksiders, after watching a video of it, I canceled my pre-order (a 30 minute gameplay video). It just didn't look that fun or interesting, but I could be wrong. I have it as a rental on Gamefly, and can always buy it on there if I really do enjoy it.[/QUOTE]

Except you forgot one thing that DMC never got right(for me anyway): It didn't suck. I played DMC on the PS2 and I was asking myself 'what's the big deal with this game series?'. I couldn't figure out the popularity of the game(s).

[quote name='darknight88']Lets see GOW style is so different than DMC. Yes it took some ideas and made them its own. QTE combat, gory mature storyline and stuff like camera angles, pacing...etc.

If you look as DI, the character itself looks like a cheap copy of Kratos, down to the camera angles on the game. Wait you can dodge with R3? hmm. You can hold L1 to do advance moves...hmmm QTEs....hmmm....you can ride huge monster ala cyclopes in GOW3...hmmm. (opening doors, moving levers is the same as in GOW down to animation...lame) The list goes on.

Yea DI is a straight GOW clone while GOW was never a "DMC clone" since it had its own thing going on, specially art style. Or your blind fanboyism will tell me you can ride cyclopses in DMC, have QTE during gameplay, dodge with R3, advanced attacks? If GOW had guns, I would agree GOW was a DMC clone.[/QUOTE]

The character is not like Kratos at all. The story is nothing like GoW's. Last time I checked, Kratos doesn't carry a giant Scythe and doesn't kill Death. I don't believe Kratos has a magic power that shoots crosses, either. In-fact, Kratos can fly. I can't in D.I.? Why is that?

Oh dear God, having buttons be the same thing? How dare they! I want to move with R2, and fight with the left stick, and dodge with the Select button. Is this really your argument? The controls are practically the same? Welcome to every game released on the console. They are all mapped the same, because there are not 1,000,000 different button combination's to choose from.

Remember when GoW also stole QTE's? I surely do.

You can ride a cyclops in GoWIII? So, that actually means they are stealing from D.I., since D.I. is coming out first.

As for a camera, have you never played any games in this genre? They all have a fixed camera to give you a view of the action.

Your arguments against the game are completely absurd. I like GoW and all, but you are apparently the head of the GoW fan-club to be defending it this much, and to claim how much of a rip-off a game that has a few similarities is. It's not a rip-off, it's a beat-em-up game, it's a genre now.. that's what genre's are for, you know, games that have the same basic concept, but different execution, characters, story, moves, ect.

Welcome to gaming; apparently you haven't ever noticed this.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except you forgot one thing that DMC never got right(for me anyway): It didn't suck. I played DMC on the PS2 and I was asking myself 'what's the big deal with this game series?'. I couldn't figure out the popularity of the game(s).[/QUOTE]

I know a few people who dislike DMC, but not many. I don't think it sucks at all, but to each his own. The only one that really sucks is DMC2, that one was terrible. DMC3 is the best, and a good one to get into the series with (if you ever want to give it a second chance).. keep in mind though, it's also the hardest, but it does "start" the story; so you don't miss anything at all by playing DMC3, you'll just understand more in the later games.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Except you forgot one thing that DMC never got right(for me anyway): It didn't suck. I played DMC on the PS2 and I was asking myself 'what's the big deal with this game series?'. I couldn't figure out the popularity of the game(s).[/QUOTE]

Me either. They were decent games, but I wasn't drooling and getting wood every time I played them.

I was looking through the comic from GS tonight and I can confirm that the code for the Harvester will work as it's printed on the inside of the back cover of the comic.

As for the comic itself, the story is a bit hard to follow. They show the other Horsemen: Death, Strife, and Fury. Death has the scythe, Strife has a gun (which looks similar to the one War uses from game footage), and Fury has a whip.

Cool, also some news!

On ToysRus, they will give you a $10GC if you buy the game there on Tues (til 1/7)
And if you buy it with Bayonetta, they give you a $40GC but you need a free membership, I believe gamer zone or something at checkout.

Pretty cool deals though I expect Amazon to match the deal with $10 credit. We'll see.

Kotaku has their review up. I found their complaints to be kind of petty with the exception of the amount of fighting.

I'll pick up my copy tomorrow but I may hold out. I have 10-15 games I haven't even opened yet that I can play to keep my occupied until this gets a price drop.

I got my automated "Ashley" call from Gamestop yesterday to let me know my pre-ordered($5 down)copy of Darksiders was going to be in tomorrow and 'to bring any games I have to trade with me'.

Thing is, I have $188 and change in GS credit from flipping games over the past week or two, so I COULD pick this game up. But I want to wait till it gets at least a couple price drops, since I still haven't finished Sacred 2, Heavenly Sword, Bionic Commando, Little Big Planet, Mercenaries 2, WET or Rise Of The Argonauts yet.

I'll probably pick this up with Red Dead Redemption and another game the next time GS has a B2G1 after RDR FINALLY fuckin' releases(in APRIL).

IGN review is a 7.8

I find IGN to sometimes pad their scores but they sometimes do the opposite, as they gave KH2 a 7.5. Though this seems fair, unlike KH2 which should have gotten an 8.5.

I'm going to wait for the GT review since I like theirs the most. If it's good, I'll pick it up at GS and probably trade in my copy of A Boy and His Blob for $20 off.

bread's done
Back