PS3 broken - What's my best option? *UPDATE 12/27*

Final Starman

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
So after a year and half my PS3 decided to call it quits, or more specifically, the blu-ray laser seems shot. Based on the error messages I've gotten, online forum posts, and the PS3 support page it seems my laser is done for. It's hit or miss with reading blu-ray discs, sometimes it can even load them but they soon freeze. This happens with blu ray movies too. DVDs work fine however. Ive tried wiping my HD, restoring the file system, and swapping HDs but to no avail.

I'd really like to just do a repair cheaply and quickly but what guarantee do I have that it won't happen again? Are newer PS3s less prone to this? So what options do I have?

1. Send it to sony, they'll repair it for $156.
2. Buy the part I need and repair it on my own for $90. I'd need a Kes-400A laser deck (laser alone works too and is cheaper)
3. #2 only I sell it after and buy a new, slim PS3.
4. Just buy a new Slim PS3
5. Other (Suggestions please!)

If anyone has experience with this (error 80010514 amongst others) or has any other tips on how to fix my PS3 cheaply I'm all ears.

**UPDATE

So today I followed m_d_amore's posted video and cleaned the PS3 lens but I'm still running into the same issues. Blu-ray discs dont even appear on the XMB sometimes, I guess now it's time to get a new laser. DVDs still work fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
What led you to replace the laser? Just wondering if its the same situation as mine thought I'm fairly positive it's the laser. Best to be sure though.

I'm not so sure it's faulty software. The error first happened right in the middle of a blu-ray movie. I installed Red Faction Guerella a few days ago but its worked fine for 6 hours. I've done "restore default settings", "restore PS3", and "rebuild database" but still get errors :(, thanks though.

The lens gets dirty. Trying just cleaning it out and making sure the BR lens isn't gummed up. Evidently the rest of the hardware works so if you know where the problem lies start there. A new laser can help but yours half-works so there's not much to lose if you'll buy a laser anyway.

If cleaning doesn't work, you're looking at roughly $50-60 for a new laser. Obviously it will be much cheaper to fix this yourself, and afterwards you can sell/trade it and get a PS3 slim.

[quote name='DPsx7']The lens gets dirty. Trying just cleaning it out and making sure the BR lens isn't gummed up. Evidently the rest of the hardware works so if you know where the problem lies start there. A new laser can help but yours half-works so there's not much to lose if you'll buy a laser anyway.[/QUOTE]

What would I use to clean it?

Yea I get the feeling that's what'll have to happen. By open it up you mean replace the laser i take it? I was hoping cleaning the lens directly with some rubbing alcohol would fix it.

[quote name='Final Starman']What would I use to clean it?[/QUOTE]

Canned air and some time. I dodged the DRE twice on my PS2 by opening the console and cleaning out any dust, fuzz, hair, whatever gets caught inside. Fans, the gears on the laser, wipe the lens off, it all depends on what you can get into and what you find. If the rest works then there's a chance it can be fixed. Worst case is you have to buy a new laser unit which will be cheaper than a repair and you won't be stuck with a Slim.

Sony has shitty service to get it fixed. You're better off trying to track down an old one, buy it and pull the old switcheroo. I know it's not what you're supposed to do, but my PS3 took around 6 months and a call to the district attourney to get it back.

If the Blu-Ray disc cleaner didn't work, try a DVD one with the brush on it. Worst thing that can happen is you fuck up the laser more. If that doesn't work, just replace the laser. It's not hard, and it's the cheapest option. If you don't want to do that, sell it and buy a new one. (I'll buy the old one. :D )

that place i ordered from was way quick wit shipping i ordered it on a fri night like 3am had it on mon by 5pm with regular shipping.

whod you order from?
good luck

Can you post a link of where you bought your laser after you get it up and running ?

I'm having the same problem with my 60GB .

It's nice to have a $600 PS2 that upscales DVDs, but not that nice .

Thanks .

Got the part....aaand a clip that holds in a cable snapped off. I tried fixing it so the cable can stay inserted but now my discs won't eject! S*ADY(H*AWJDJAJJ

I give up...might just get a new PS3 at this rate.

bread's done
Back