Fallout 3 GOTY - To buggy to play?

wageslave

CAGiversary!
I just ordered Fallout 3 GOTY for my PS3 from Amazon, but then I starting reading some of the user reviews and a lot of them complain about game breaking bugs. Is this just in the added DLC or is the whole GOTY edition too buggy to play? I wouldn't really care if just some of the add-ons are bad, but I am worried the main storyline is broken. Can any folks who own the PS3 GOTY edition fill me in? It's too late for me to cancel my order now. :hot:

Its not as buggy as the internet makes it out to be.

I put close to 80 hours in. I played through the main campaign with all quests completed, half of Broken Steel and all of Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta. The game crashed three times, momentarily froze about another four times (took about 15 seconds to unfreeze). I didnt have any incidents of not being able to complete a quest due to a glitch or that kind of thing, although one time when I was just wandering I got stuck on the geometry of the world and had to reset.

My recommendation would be to immediately save your game when it freezes and recovers because everytime the game actually crashed, it was preceeded by one of those freezings. The up side is that the game also autosaves really frequently, so even when it does crash, you rarely have to fight back through a lot. Mothership did seem to have the most problems, but my understanding is that the GotY is more stable than the downloaded DLCs.

It's definitely not too buggy to play. I'm about 60 hours in and it's frozen temporarily and completely a few times. Once there was a glitch that prevented me from doing something. I would just advise you to save often. The thing is, the game is sooooo incredibly good that it doesn't even matter.

It froze up for me a few times, but only crashed once or twice, not too buggy to play by any means. I actually put 50 hours on my 360 before forcing myself to finish the main story and wait for the ps3 goty, 90 hours in on the goty, I've enjoyed my experience on the ps3 more.

[quote name='decrot']get a 360 for any multiplat game. just sayin[/QUOTE]

This and I found Fallout 3 and Oblivion to crash more and more as playtime piled on. Beat the game quickly as you can if you can't stand crashes.

I've been playing the PS3 versions fot 100+ hours. The GOTY freezes more than original version. It happens rarely, but when it does it is aggrevating. I recommend saving often. BTW, it only happens in VATS mode.

it freezes from time to time, like others have said it's mostly upon entering or exiting vats, and dead body's occasionally freak out but these do not take away from the games overall experience.

They reccomend you log out of the PSN before playing. People on your friends list signing in and out was one of the main reasons for the game freezing.

[quote name='wageslave']I just ordered Fallout 3 GOTY for my PS3 from Amazon, but then I starting reading some of the user reviews and a lot of them complain about game breaking bugs. Is this just in the added DLC or is the whole GOTY edition too buggy to play? I wouldn't really care if just some of the add-ons are bad, but I am worried the main storyline is broken. Can any folks who own the PS3 GOTY edition fill me in? It's too late for me to cancel my order now. :hot:[/QUOTE]

back when I had a 360 I played the original Fallout 3 for 150+ hours and experienced at least more than 30 freezes throughout the game and DLC. While playing the FO:GOTY on PS3 for around 60 hours I experienced one freeze at the point where you get your first BB gun. After a reload I experienced no freezes at all in the game. I was rather impressed after beating the game and all the DLC. In my experience it works just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't have any issues with the original game but the GotY version froze on me at least 30 times while I was playing the 5 expansions. No, I'm not joking. It drove me crazy because the game froze at utterly random moments, usually with nothing else happening on screen.

I'm curious about this too, but I've heard it is related to the PS3 SKU you have. I've heard the non-BC models freeze up a lot more (120 slim, 40 gig, etc.) I have an 80GB BC (the one that was bundled with MGS4) but I still haven't picked it up yet. I'm worried it still freezes more than I can tolerate.

[quote name='Vinny']I didn't have any issues with the original game but the GotY version froze on me at least 30 times while I was playing the 5 expansions. No, I'm not joking. It drove me crazy because the game froze at utterly random moments, usually with nothing else happening on screen.[/QUOTE]
Same with me, the original was flawless I put tons of time into it. When I bought the DLC is was a feaking nightmare, I still havent finished the last one because I cant take the lag/freezing anymore.

I hear this is a huge issue with the PS3 version of Fallout 3. I always get my multiplats on 360. From what some site like IGN says, the 360 usually has the superior version for some strange reason.

I didn't have any problems with the regular game in the GOTY, but for the DLC I had major game breaking problems (People falling through buildings, people freezing mid-action, the game outright crashing) with the Pitt and Mothership Zeta. It crashed constantly and it was pretty much unplayable. I'd recommend that if you do get it make sure you make a second save before venturing into the Pitt/Zeta.

There is minor freezing here and there when you're playing through the regular game, but it's still playable, just pisses you off. If you don't mind the buggy experience then get it.

The content is on the disc, which I think might be part of the problem. I don't remember any significant load time when I first brought up the game, so I think it loads from the disc quite often.

[quote name='bendeco45']The content is on the disc, which I think might be part of the problem. I don't remember any significant load time when I first brought up the game, so I think it loads from the disc quite often.[/QUOTE]

I have this queued up on Goozex but I just wanted to make sure I would be getting all the DLC and not just the game and some used up DLC codes.

bread's done
Back