Best place to get HD DVDs?

Staind204

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
Where is the best place to pick up HD DVDs? I already have a lot of the more common ones but am looking for ones such as Blade Runner, The Bourne Supremacy, The Bourne Ultimatum, etc. Is EBAY my best bet or do any stores still have these for cheap? Thanks in advance.

inetvideo.com

its only best when they are offering free shipping, otherwise their shipping usually kills any deal. This is where i bought most of my HD DVD's.

I actually found about 22 of them at a hollywood video yesterday. They put them as part of the all dvd's 5.99 and under are 2.99. Some interesting titles that i had never seen before also.

wow a hollywood with HD's? They blew those out like a year or more ago.

crazy.

I have about 20 of them as well I could probably sell. List the ones you are after.

Saw some $5 ones at 5 Below yesterday. I remember The Reaping, Music and Lyrics and ATL, selection was VERY slim though as they are with all of their items. They also still had Superman Returns on Blu for $5 as well.

If you feel a little adventurous, try some of Amazon's foreign sites (Canada, UK, German, France,China, etc.). You might find some of the titles that were never released here, like "Mulholland Dr." (a must have IMHO).
Next time you're on Amazon, just scroll down to the bottom of pretty much any page and look for the links for international sites.

[quote name='Game_Dude_3']Great deals on the disks themselves, but the prices for the players are three times that of which I've seen for BR players.[/QUOTE]

Yea they are nuts! I found the best deals are on the boxed sets. The shipping kills the really cheap ones. Hmmm 32.01 for the products 139.41 for shipping :shock: I don't think so.

If you have a TJ MAXX store (the clothing store) in your area, check it. I was at one the other day and they had a bunch of different ones for $5.xx each.... Actually I've seen them at 2 different TJ MAXX stores (Montgomery, AL and Prattville, AL....). They have a big shelf/cart thingy near the checkout with a bunch of cheap movies....

[quote name='PotatoGuy']agree.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, because all HD-DVDs stopped working the moment Blu Ray won the war. Give me a break guys, if I can get a movie in high def for a few dollars I don't care what format it's on.

[quote name='okwordyoda']Yeah, because all HD-DVDs stopped working the moment Blu Ray won the war. Give me a break guys, if I can get a movie in high def for a few dollars I don't care what format it's on.[/QUOTE]

I suppose the concern is that you'll be sinking money into a collection of items that will have no support in the future. This means that when your current player stops working, it'll be hard to find a replacement, and since the war was over so early they have little to no resale value. Not unlike Betamax tapes when VHS trounced them. Believe me, I considered doing what you're doing for about five seconds before I realized what a colossal mistake it would be in the long run.

If you really want them though, I've seen a lot at used book/music stores that also happen to sell movies. Good luck.

I also have an HD-DVD player. Part of the problem is that you'll only be able to watch HD-DVD's where you live. Right now you can get DVD players for the car for your kids. They're even starting to put out Blu Ray players like that. Also, everyone you know will have Blu Ray or DVD. No one will have HD-DVD so your disks are worthless except at your house. I have a friend I loaned Firefly to on DVD. Since I have Serenity on HD-DVD he had to rent it on DVD.

[quote name='typical guy']I also have an HD-DVD player. Part of the problem is that you'll only be able to watch HD-DVD's where you live. Right now you can get DVD players for the car for your kids. They're even starting to put out Blu Ray players like that. Also, everyone you know will have Blu Ray or DVD. No one will have HD-DVD so your disks are worthless except at your house. I have a friend I loaned Firefly to on DVD. Since I have Serenity on HD-DVD he had to rent it on DVD.[/QUOTE]

Hrrm, so tell me again, telling Cheapassfriends that you can't lend them your movies (and never get them back) is a good thing or a bad thing?

;)

I've own about 40 movies on HD-DVD with about 15 of them free and the remainder were purchased for less than $5. I bought a Toshiba HD-A30 for about $50 after the Amazon Price guarantee (purchased prior to the announcement that HD-DVD was dead, but Amazon continued to credit the price drops), but also picked up a Xbox HD-DVD adapter as a cheap back up player.

Obviously there isn't going to be any more releases, so it comes down to how many of the releases out there you want to own to help determine if its worth it to take the plunge with a dead format. You can get a used HD-A30 on ebay for around $70 (decent player although it will only output 1080i via HDMI) and then buy all the HD-DVD's you want for $5 or less at any of the site's listed here, some at significant savings even over regular DVD prices at times (i.e. Sopranos Season 6).

With the price of older blu-rays dropping to $10 (or less in some cases), you probably would need to buy at least 20 HD-DVD's for it to really be worth the hassle and recoup the cost of the player. That being said, if you have the room for another player, and want to pick up a bunch of HD movies on the cheap, its not a bad way to compliment your HD movie collection.

Exactly, I picked up a barely used HD-A30 with 300, Bourne Supremacy & identity, and Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix for only 15 bucks. I just got Battle Star Galactica S1 for 6 bucks and ultimate Matrix collection for 16 bucks.

[quote name='Justin42']Hrrm, so tell me again, telling Cheapassfriends that you can't lend them your movies (and never get them back) is a good thing or a bad thing?

;)[/QUOTE]

lend shmend. I hate not being able to go to my sister's house and watch them on her 50" screen with her 7.1 speaker system. Ditto with other friends' or families' houses who have identical or better setups.

I still love my HD-A30 and use it all the time to watch my 40+ HD-DVD's, as well as my regular DVD's. Works great as an upscaler.

As a back up, I still have a 360 add-on HD-DVD player new, in the box that I picked up for like $20.

[quote name='yesiamaplant']I suppose the concern is that you'll be sinking money into a collection of items that will have no support in the future. This means that when your current player stops working, it'll be hard to find a replacement, and since the war was over so early they have little to no resale value. Not unlike Betamax tapes when VHS trounced them. Believe me, I considered doing what you're doing for about five seconds before I realized what a colossal mistake it would be in the long run.

If you really want them though, I've seen a lot at used book/music stores that also happen to sell movies. Good luck.[/QUOTE]

While you're not wrong, you're missing the point. I can get some pretty good older movies for dirt cheap in HD. I've put about $75 into an HD DVD player for my 360 with around 25 HD DVDs. It will be a while before Blus are anywhere near that cheap. DVDs aren't even that cheap. I don't typically lend DVDs to friends and I have my collection of Hd movies I really love. Sure, there's no resale value, but that's not why I buy movies in the first place lol.

Quality is pretty much identical to Bluray and its a fraction of the cost. I cant afford to jump into Bliuray yet, so this will do for a couple years...

I bought a 360 add-on shortly after the death of the format off of eBay when everyone was panicking and dumping their players dirt cheap. $30 got me the player (barely used in the box), American Gangster, Hot Rod, Dawn Of The Dead, The Kingdom, and King Kong. Since then, I've spent maybe $60 total to add Transformers, 300, Happy Feet, the Bourne trilogy, Planet Earth, Jarhead, Alpha Dog, Hot Fuzz, Big Lebowski, and Heroes S1 to that collection.

There are still things I'd like to pick up (namely the Harry Potter and Matrix sets), and if they're considerably cheaper than the Blu version, why not? Whenever I pick up a PS3, I'll start getting things on Blu but until then, a dirt cheap copy of an HD movie works for me.

When I bought Planet Earth, it was $20 as opposed to $65 for the Blu version. Easy decision.

If one can buy an hd player and 30 dvds for the same price as 10 blu's then I don't see what the issue is. Entertainment technology moves fast as fuck now, withing 8 years the blu's will be obsolete and we'll be using those kick ass holodiscs that hold terabytes worth of data (which will totally be necessary for XHD).

A lot of people discount the fact that many HD DVDs have the regular DVD side as well. It's an awesome move, since a lot of them can still benefit from the proliferation of DVD players.

[quote name='letsgetacid']A lot of people discount the fact that many HD DVDs have the regular DVD side as well.[/QUOTE]

Facts have no place in snide Interweb quips. Quit trying to run others' fun. ;)

As much as I hate to continue this thread in it's current off topic direction, I'll just throw in my two cents. Take it or leave it.

The primary argument is that your HD DVD player will break and you won't be able to replace it, and be stuck with obsolete discs with no resale value, however I always saw a flaw in that argument.
Media discs in general will be obsolete before my two HD DVD players stop working. I'm counting on Blu-Ray being obsolete in two or three years from now. Recordable Blu-rays and burners will become dirt cheap and piracy will force Sony to move to a streaming movie model much quicker than they initially planned.
In three years Blu-Ray discs will cease to be produced, and at that time both "red" and "blue" camps will all have a bunch of discs that are "obsolete".

By 2014, new release movies will be released as streaming only.

With that in mind, I own two HD DVD players (used as my primary DVD players as well), and one Blu-Ray player, and I have about 20 discs in each format.

I've got a nice collection of HD-DVDs. I'd sell them all or in sets for a cheap price. Got about 50 movies total. PM me if you're interested and I can send you a list to choose from.

[quote name='techstar25']By 2014, new release movies will be released as streaming only.[/QUOTE]

I think it's going to take more than 4 years for America to have anything resembling a solid infrastructure for high speed internet that is needed to support the bandwidth needed for streaming. A very large portion of our country has yet to crawl beyond 64k dial-up.

I have an HD-A3 that I bought a few months before HD-DVD production stopped and ended up buying 50 or 60 discs. I still use it and enjoy the movies and don't regret buying it one bit, even if it is dead technology. I buy movies to watch at my house, not to take with me somewhere else so that was never a concern - heck, I never even thought of it. Most of them came from inetvideo when they had free shipping sales or from a third party seller fulfilled by amazon so I could get free shipping. It seems like all you see now are the common releases, the rarer high demand ones you might as well buy on blu-ray since they're often times cheaper.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']Gotta love that all HD-DVD topics have to include the smart-ass comments.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I've got over 100 HD-DVDs, many of them for cheaper than it would cost to rent the DVD or Bluray in a store. If my player craps out in 10 years, and I've got 100 worthless discs...I don't care. The next format will be here, or digital download will be what everyone is doing. Additionally, you can rip the HD-DVDs you own and back them up on a HDD if you want.

Format snobs are so cute. But I guess if I was paying $30 for a movie that cost $15 on DVD, I'd have to do more to justify my purchase or troll threads that I have nothing constructive to add to.

Anyway, on topic, as mentioned, inet, Amazon, half.com. There are a couple of dominant sellers on Amazon (pieceofmindmedia) that tend to have pretty good deals and are eligible for free shipping.

traderbora also sells :hd: on amazon that are eligible for FSSS, but their prices have been climbing from where they once were.

[quote name='manthing']traderbora also sells :hd: on amazon that are eligible for FSSS, but their prices have been climbing from where they once were.[/QUOTE]

traderbora, that's who the other one was, and yes, their prices have risen steadily. It would appear that many of the huge dealers for HD-DVD are finally running low on supplies.

One note about inet, some/many of them are the Canadian version which plays fine, but may have text in French in addition to English, thanks to the assanine law that requires French on products sold in Ontario.

My HD-DVD collection outnumbers my Blu-ray collection 2 to 1 but I've been slowly buying Blu-rays as prices drop to the $10 or less level which is what I am willing to pay. Short of taking advantage of the Warner Red2Blu deal that I believe ended a little while ago, I have no plans to upgrade any of my HD-DVD titles, at least not until studios begin double-dipping on many of these titles and offer something substantially better than what I have. In this day and age, I don't think too many people have the luxury of "rebuying" something that offer no upgrade in video, audio, and extras.

Inetvideo has been my main source of HD-DVD titles but even with them you can tell the number of titles available is slowly getting slimmer and slimmer. The only time that it's worth it to order, as someone mentioned, is only when they run one of their free shipping deals.

bread's done
Back