- - - - -

Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

#451 kendrick55993   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   18 Posts   Joined 9.3 Years Ago  

kendrick55993

Posted 23 May 2010 - 09:50 PM

It's now the time that you have been waiting for. Hope you have got the needed information before i have seen your post.

#452 schuerm26   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4571 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:05 PM

Please don't come in here posting a find like this :-)

Fuck . . . any idea how complete it is?

Nice find.

It doesn't have the instructions. But it has a HELL of a lot of pieces so if it isn't complete it has to be damn close. It still has the initial price tag on the box, $299.95!!!!

#453 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 23 May 2010 - 11:24 PM

Oh yeh, cleaned contacts twice and tried them out on 3 different snes decks. Sux that I got them at a church and I am sure all the games he had we broken. At least he could have told me. It's not about the money cause it was only $5 it's more about the morals.

It's probably not fair to assume he knew at this point. I've received free games from friends and had them tell me they work fine, only to get them home and find they're dead. It happens.

Nice finds, everyone! I got a bunch of good stuff this weekend, but I'll wait until I've taken pics to post.

#454 Shazyzang   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   139 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Shazyzang

Posted 24 May 2010 - 01:06 AM

Really cool finds everyone.

Yeah. The packaging is pretty classy, plus it's got 10 games, how could I say no?

It was just there with a bunch of other, much more generic, comics at a community sale. If there was more you can bet I would've bought it. When I see comic books I usually look through them but I don't know as much about them as I probably should, but Sam & Max kinda stands out next to "classics" like the Dr. Strange / Ghost Rider crossover.

Hm. I'll look through the comics next time I go out. Thanks.

#455 Sinnbox   Garage-sale/Thrift KING!! CAGiversary!   2034 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 05:57 PM

Picked up 3 shitty snes games for $5 at a church flea . Turns out non of them work. I'm sure the asshole knew it too.

I have found close to 500 SNES games at garage sales over the last few years, I have only found 1 that i couldnt get working, if you can get it working try takeing the cover off and cleaning the contacts with oven cleaner, or hitting them with scotch guard.

#456 GoAztecs   Aztec Fire CAGiversary!   353 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

GoAztecs

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:33 PM

$10

That is an awesome pickup!

#457 schuerm26   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4571 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 24 May 2010 - 11:39 PM

That is an awesome pickup!

It is weird because where I got it was a neighborhood garaqe sale. The house I got it at was about 2 hours after I started. It was just sitting in the driveway. I had been to about 15 sales before that and was all out of cash!! I had to have the people hold it and dash to the bank to get more money. It is strange how people don't just pick stuff like this up. There were TONS of people at this neighborhood garage sale yet this somehow managed to not be picked up.

#458 trailmix10   Sonic! CAGiversary!   164 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

trailmix10

Posted 25 May 2010 - 12:45 AM

schuerm26 that was a nice pickup. people probably assumed the set would be incomplete so they past right by it. i have not stumbled across any good deals such as the rest of the CAG members that post here week after week but their findings and yours keep me going every other weekend lol

#459 TiKi2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1034 Posts   Joined 15.7 Years Ago  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 03:48 PM

I have found close to 500 SNES games at garage sales over the last few years, I have only found 1 that i couldnt get working, if you can get it working try takeing the cover off and cleaning the contacts with oven cleaner, or hitting them with scotch guard.

Thanx I'll give it a shot. I 've only found a few snes carts these last few years. Everyone that I have purchased from a homeowner has worked fine. But the people at the flea markets are a bit shady. I've only bought about 8 games at these church fleas and so far 5/8 don't work. Thats the last one I goto.

Edited by TiKi2, 25 May 2010 - 04:11 PM.

#460 Porpoise King   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   80 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Porpoise King

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:09 PM

NES with all cables (havent tested yet but looks great)
Two Controllers
GREY Zapper (Were these the original?)

Ducktales
The Untouchables
Crystalis
The Legend of Kage
Dungeon Magic
Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt
Gargoyle's Quest II
Strider
Metroid
Gauntlet
Punch-Out!
Demon Sword
Kung Fu
Rad Racer
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior IV
Final Fantasy
Legend of Zelda (w/ manual)
Terminator 2
NARC
1943: Battle of Midway

Total: $50

Really happy about the deal overall. Seller wouldn't take less than $50, and had DWIV not been there I probably would've declined. Great selection of games though. Seller has pretty good taste :P

#461 Fatality   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2300 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:27 PM

NES with all cables (havent tested yet but looks great)
Two Controllers
GREY Zapper (Were these the original?)

Ducktales
The Untouchables
Crystalis
The Legend of Kage
Dungeon Magic
Super Mario Bros/Duck Hunt
Gargoyle's Quest II
Strider
Metroid
Gauntlet
Punch-Out!
Demon Sword
Kung Fu
Rad Racer
Dragon Warrior
Dragon Warrior IV
Final Fantasy
Legend of Zelda (w/ manual)
Terminator 2
NARC
1943: Battle of Midway

Total: $50

Really happy about the deal overall. Seller wouldn't take less than $50, and had DWIV not been there I probably would've declined. Great selection of games though. Seller has pretty good taste :P

nice pickup yes gray zapper is the original orange was after

#462 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:59 PM

Well, it's been a Sega-kinda weekend (click pics for full-size):

Posted Image
12 SNES games with dust covers: Brawl Brothers, Firepower 2000, Peace Keepers, Hook, Street Fighter II Turbo, Super Ninja Boy, TMNT: Tournament Fighters, Robocop 3, Mega Man X, Battletoads/Double Dragon, Pocky & Rocky, SMW2: Yoshi's Island, $32 for all

My sister actually found these for me. She called me up and started reading off the titles. After about she read about 5, I told her to buy them all. They're in excellent condition and every game includes a dust cover.

Posted Image
Model 1 Sega Genesis (TMSS)
Sega Dreamcast Sports Edition, $5 for both

As you can see from the photo, these are both kinda scuffed up. They both work flawlessly, though. I own a Sports DC already, but now I've got sort of a "beater" that I can leave hooked up all the time, keeping the one I bought new safe in its box.

Posted Image
360 Borderlands (complete), $16

Not much to say about this one. I've been wanting to play this game for a while, but didn't want to pay much for it. I still might've overpaid since this game has been out for a while and may be due for a price-drop. I'm gonna try to start this one tonight. The kid I bought it from said he played it for about two hours and hated it. We'll see.

Posted Image
Nintendo Top Secret Password Player's Guide
Super Mario Advance Perfect Guide
Resident Evil 2 Official Guide, $2 for all

The seller was originally asking $1 each on the guides, but these are all kinda beat-up, so I offered $2 for all three. I don't think I own them yet. Actually, I might already have that password guide. I'll have to check.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Japanese Dreamcast console, $3

Walked up to a sale and saw this lying on a table. No games, no cords; I asked. I didn't even intend to buy it, but I picked it up anyway and looked it over just for the heck of it. The bottom label looked funny at first, but I couldn't put my finger on it. I looked at it from the back and saw that the power input was the "figure 8" style, unlike the US version which has that "circle/square" thing going on. It also has no modem. Confused, I looked at the label again and caught it: NTSC J. Nice. Guy wanted five bucks, I offered three, he accepted. Took it home and plugged it in; works like a charm.

Posted Image
XB Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
XB Silent Hill 2: Restless Dreams
XB Stubbs the Zombie: Rebel Without a Pulse, $12 for all

Finally, I own a copy of Morrowind. You would not believe how many times I have passed on this game. Probably about a dozen. I have not seen this game for less than 8 bucks until now. My previous copy of SH2 was missing the manual, so now I have a nice, complete one. These were originally $5 each; I offered 12 for all three which was accepted.

Posted Image
26 NES games: Gauntlet, Legacy of the Wizard, Batman, Adventures of Dino Riki, Dragon Spirit, Dragon Warrior, Tetris, 1942, Faxanadu, Kid Niki, Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt, Ultima: Exodus, Jaws, Top Gun: Second Mission (x2), Shingen the Ruler, Section Z, SMB, Slalom, The Karate Kid, F-117A Stealth Fighter, Silent Service, Stinger, Metroid, Genghis Khan, Conquest of the Crystal Palace (with manual), $10

These were laying out in two stacks. As I walked up, another guy was already digging through them. Most of them were upside down in their sleeves, but I flipped a couple over and saw some I needed for my collection. I held up a few in my hand asked how much. Interestingly, when the seller said "a dollar each", the guy next to me set down the one in his hand, stood up and walked off! Apparently that was too rich for his blood. Without counting or bothering to check which games they were, I asked how much the seller would take for all of them. He thought about it for a few seconds and asked, "10 dollars?". Sounds good to me! I paid as quick as I could and my friend helped me scoop them all up. For fun, we didn't check anymore of the titles until we got home. There are a few duds, but there are also more than a handful that I didn't already own, so it was a killer find no matter what.

Posted Image
Sega Mega Drive 2 (Japanese) w/2 controllers, AV cable, power cord, and 8 games:

Spider-Man, Bulls vs. Lakers, Mortal Kombat II, Beavis & Butthead, NHL '94, F1 Grand Prix (Japanese), Slime World (Japanese), Star Cruiser (Japanese), (all complete except F1 GP), $20 for all

Guy originally wanted $30 for this one, but came down to $20 for me. This is my first Mega Drive system, and while I don't have a lot of use for it, it's a neat addition to my collection. I love finding import stuff locally.

Just a couple more things coming up...

#463 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:10 PM

Posted Image
Odds and ends:
GBA AC adapter, 50c
GEN (Model 2) RF unit, $2
DVD Resident Evil Code Veronica X: Wesker's Report, $2
DC Dreamcast mouse (new), $2
Linksys Wireless G Range Expander, $3

This is my second copy of Wesker's Report, my first copy includes the original sleeve. This one has several light scratches all over the playing surface, but I let it play all the way through and it never skipped or froze once.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
NES Miracle Piano Teaching system (missing pedal, cartridge, and Miracle cable), $27

Not sure if I overpaid on this one or not. I know the cable is notoriously hard to find, but I haven't laid eyes on one of these in the box (the NES-labled box, no less) since it was in stores, so I bought it anyway. The game was actually missing too, but I already had it in my collection, so I'll keep it with the piano from now on. I actually almost left this behind because it takes up too much dang space and I'll likely never use it - especially if I can't find the cable for a low price. Everything is in wonderful condition. I hooked it up when I got home and it sounds great, for what it is. The speakers still sound crisp and clean with no distortion.

The seller wanted $40 but it was late in the day and I figured he didn't want to store it any longer. I offered $25, he countered with $30, I again offered $25 and he came back with $27. Close enough.

The piano, MD2, and Sports DC were probably my favorite finds this go-round. If only I had a house big enough to display all this stuff!

#464 jab1235   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   851 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 May 2010 - 10:28 PM

how often do you go yard sailing (yay ocean!) allyourblood?
anyways, you make me want to go out and try it!

#465 schultzed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4932 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 12:49 AM

how often do you go yard sailing (yay ocean!) allyourblood?
anyways, you make me want to go out and try it!

The more you go the more you find--but be prepared for some disappointment. You really have to commit to the task.

It seems to me that I go to 10 sales for every one that I buy something at.

So, I'm guessing that allyourblood hit 50-100 sales this last weekend.

#466 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:03 AM

The more you go the more you find--but be prepared for some disappointment. You really have to commit to the task.

It seems to me that I go to 10 sales for every one that I buy something at.

So, I'm guessing that allyourblood hit 50-100 sales this last weekend.

Well, the MD2 came from Craigslist and like I mentioned, the SNES games were actually found by my sister. It's yard sale season year-round here, for the most part and starting back in April, they've been wall to wall. This last weekend, we probably hit 45-60 sales between Saturday and Sunday.

#467 Porpoise King   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   80 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Porpoise King

Posted 26 May 2010 - 01:31 AM

AYB - Do you map out all your sales before you go? Or is there a certain way you find your sales?

#468 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:05 AM

AYB - Do you map out all your sales before you go? Or is there a certain way you find your sales?

I use Craigslist and my local paper to find sales, and then form a route. My friend and I trade off who drives each weekend, and we make sure to hit any unadvertised sales along the way, out and back.

We don't hit the same part of the city usually. We'll pick a different area each week if there are enough sales, and then branch out here and there to pick up the "scraps". If we're desperate, we'll hit more than one area and sometimes a swap meet or two as well. It's an all-morning/part of the afternoon thing usually.

#469 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10718 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 03:07 AM

ayb if you wanna sell that wesker's report let me know....

#470 Neuropod   Such a lust for revenge! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO?! CAGiversary!   2363 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:06 AM

Map schmap. You could have a flying car and psychic knowledge of the location of every sale in a 20-mile radius, and you still wouldn't be able to lay a finger on this guy's pure bullshit good luck.

#471 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:40 AM

Speaking of great finds where I live, has anyone heard from Kuros lately? He hasn't posted in ages... and I'm reaping all the benefits! :lol:

#472 pyoobez   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1873 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 26 May 2010 - 04:14 PM

My dad just got back from a random Wednesday yard sale on his way to the bank. He said he snagged up all the games they had for $1 each.

Pilot Wings 64
WWF Attitude 64
Namco Collection (64)
WWF Warzone (PS1)
and a copy of Grand Masters of Wrestling on DVD, which I already have.

The games are in sort of haggard shape... all the 64 games look like a kid's collection who ate a lot of cookies while playing games. Still, they clean up easily enough.

#473 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12574 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:31 PM

Just got around to taking pics of last week's finds:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Picked up everything for $25. She was a Red-Headed Cougar and somehow was better looking than her daughter in college. She also did a cheer for me (without me asking) because she was also selling pom-poms. She either thought I was gay (which 70% of people think) or she was hitting on me. ;)

PS2 fat complete with memory card, Dreamcast CIB with extra controller and memory card, 3 Ps2 games, 3 DC games, and about 200 pokemon / pocketmonster cards. (I took a pic of the two foil ones). I don't know anything about these things.

Posted Image

$1 for the GC game, $5 total for the Xbox Star Wars games and 70 xbox demo discs.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This one was a cutie, but too young for me (sophomore in college). I asked about the Genesis games and she said their system broke and offered them to me for $15. We talked a little bit more and she said "You know what? You can have them for $10"

I am not a Sega expert, but I believe shining force 2 is supposed to be a great RPG. I am just happy to have a nice complete copy of Altered Beast. :)

#474 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:41 PM

Slowdive, lemme know if you have any Genesis dupes that you'd like to trade.

Also, nice finds!

#475 SlammedNiss   Mine hits the ground! CAGiversary!   1140 Posts   Joined 11.7 Years Ago  

SlammedNiss

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:55 PM

This one was a cutie, but too young for me (sophomore in college).

Sophomore in college? Why is that too young. That's a purrfect age!

#476 schuerm26   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4571 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:36 AM

Map schmap. You could have a flying car and psychic knowledge of the location of every sale in a 20-mile radius, and you still wouldn't be able to lay a finger on this guy's pure bullshit good luck.

Or just pure bullshit. Never know.

#477 jaysapathy   Drama Hater CAGiversary!   1155 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 02:49 AM

mmm.. Fantasia and Castle Of Illusion. Lucky bastard.

#478 Undrallio   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   116 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Undrallio

Posted 27 May 2010 - 03:11 AM

First time out this year was last summer. Finally.

Nothing too super special and no pics, my camera broke, but the following is what I got:

-NES: Final Fantasy ($3) <A friend I met up at this sale screwed up his haggle and I couldn't get it for lower than 3, I didn't have a copy of it yet, so I paid.>

-Genesis: Model 3 Genny ($10) <Seller wanted 20, offered 5, they countered with 10. Great thing is that it's boxed with instructions, my first Model 3. Finally have all of them.>
Predator 2 (.50) <Cart only, wanted a buck gave em half.>

-Playstation: Saltwater Fishing (.50) <Full copy, same story as Predator>

-TMNT Adventures Comic Book ($1) <1994, I forget which issue atm, I've never found a TMNT comic at a yard sale, so this was super great for me.>

That's it for the cool nerdy things. I of course got the usual odds and ends, books, etc, but for a first outing and only hitting one neighborhood yard sale with 14 or 15 houses, this was pretty great.

#479 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:11 AM

Or just pure bullshit. Never know.

It's true, unless any of you actually take a ride with me someday, all you have is my word. ;)

However, for something completely related, visit Digital Press's May Finds thread in the "What's It Worth?" forum. The fun starts on page 9 and lasts quite a while. It starts back up again on page 20. It's worth it, I promise! (there I go again)

#480 kube00   Keeping in Cheap since 2005 CAGiversary!   10718 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 May 2010 - 04:37 AM

for those of us who aren't familiar with the site, how about a link? ;)