anyone have a kindle?

ajumbaje

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
If so, which one? How do you like it? Im looking to get either the kindle 2 or the dx.

Im just seeing which one would be better for newspapers, magazines and book reading? Which one is better all around?

Do you have a different ereader you prefer?

[quote name='ajumbaje']If so, which one? [/QUOTE]

Kindle 1

[quote name='ajumbaje']How do you like it?[/QUOTE]

Love it. It has motivated me to read more (since I can carry around hundreds of books in one device the size of a paperback) and I love Whispernet. I thought the hype behind it was bullshit but being able to turn on the wireless, jump on the Kindle store, purchase a book and 40 seconds later have it on your device, ready to go, is fucking awesome. Same with samples. If I read online about a book or somebody gives me a recommendation, I can jump on and grab a sample right there.

[quote name='ajumbaje']Im looking to get either the kindle 2 or the dx.

Im just seeing which one would be better for newspapers, magazines and book reading? Which one is better all around?[/QUOTE]

It really depends. Are you looking for portability or something to read PDFs on? The DX is really just a Kindle 2 with a much bigger screen.

If you ask me my opinion, I would say that the DX isn't worth it at the moment. It's too expensive compared to the Kindle 2 and there isn't a big enough benefit unless you have a massive collection of PDFs and don't mind carrying around a bigger device.

---------

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

If you do get one, check out my thread over at KindleBoards. I keep a list of all the free & under $1 (non public domain) titles available from Amazon.

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.php/topic,16096.0.html

do you have a reading light? Im looking to get one, just not sure which one. I have my eye on the mightybright xtraflex2 clip-on light. I have a case picked(patagonia one) so that's not something I need to peruse for anymore.

[quote name='ajumbaje']do you have a reading light? Im looking to get one, just not sure which one. I have my eye on the mightybright xtraflex2 clip-on light. I have a case picked(patagonia one) so that's not something I need to peruse for anymore.[/QUOTE]

Can't help you there. I have the case that came with the Kindle 1 and a shitty booklight I paid $6 for from WalMart that is a massive pain in the ass :lol:

I too have a Kindle 1 and love it. I read more since I can get books so easily and not have to deal with donating or selling them after reading them or hassling with the library (since I seldom re-read anything).

Reading on it is great as the e-ink is very paper like and doesn't cause any eyestrain etc. In all I've been very happy since getting it in the spring. Bought it for $200 off Craigslist when the Kindle 2 came out.

I just have a cheap, clip on Might Bright light I bought at a Borders for $5 or something a while back. I'd say any LED clip onlight will work fine. Easy to clip onto the Kindle case (at least he official ones for the K1 or K2, not sure about whatever one you have picked), and any LED light should do the job just like any works for a book.

Yeah, from what I've seen reviews on the nook aren't so hot, complaining about the user interface being clunky and laggy etc.

I'd personally only consider a Kindle or a Sony (the forthcoming Daily Edition looks promising) if I was on the market for one now.

I went with a Kindle in the spring as I wanted the built in wireless for getting books (the Sony Daily Edition will add that), and checking prices Amazon was cheaper than Sony on the books where there was price difference.

I've also had an Amazon Rewards Visa for a few years that I use for everything and pay off each month, so I'm able to pay for most all my books through gift cards.

Also, the OP should check out www.mobileread.com, as you'll get a lot more info and opinions over there since it's an e-reader site.

[quote name='Sporadic']What's your definition of better?[/QUOTE]

Supports the ePub standard.
Runs on Android.
Has a book lending feature.
Has a sexy color touchscreen.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Yeah, from what I've seen reviews on the nook aren't so hot, complaining about the user interface being clunky and laggy etc.[/QUOTE]

It is pretty clunky right now, I'll definitely concede that. BN concedes that, as well. Firmware updates will hammer out the issues.

[quote name='bmachine']Supports the ePub standard.
Runs on Android.
Has a book lending feature.
Has a sexy color touchscreen.
[/QUOTE]

ePub support is nice at it makes it easy to check out the library ebooks etc.

Android I don't see much benefit of since these are e-readers and just meant to read novels. The OS thus doesn't matte rmuch.

Book lending is a nice feature if you have friends/family with a Nook. I don't, and my girlfriend can read my Kindle books on her PC with my log in on the Kindle for PC program. Limited number of machines you can put books on though.

Touch screen seems like a waste to me. The e-ink screen will always be laggy compared to it as e-ink i simply slow (the biggest problem I have with e-readers currently) and I just don't see the need for a small LCD screen on an e-reader personally. Seems like a useless feature to drain battery life.

So yeah, I just don't see the Nook as a serious competitor to the Kindle or Sony readers personally.

[quote name='bmachine']Supports the ePub standard.
Runs on Android.[/QUOTE]

Both of these are good talking points but they are both blah in reality. Kindle's DRM has been broken (besides Topaz) so you can convert whatever you purchase (again unless it is in Topaz) into a DRM-free .MOBI and with that, you can turn it into anything else.

What's the big deal with Android? I know people hear that and think hackers' paradise but if you want something that is an all in one device, you would be better off with an iPhone or a tablet laptop.

Did you know that Kindle uses Linux?

[quote name='bmachine']Has a book lending feature.[/QUOTE]

2 weeks, you can't access while it's loaned out and you can only loan out a book once. Also publishers can opt out of it (just like TTS with the Kindle)

[quote name='bmachine']Has a sexy color touchscreen.[/QUOTE]

Again, a talking point. Why is a color touchscreen (underneath the e-ink screen as the primary input device only) better? You still have the delay of the e-ink screen.

[quote name='bmachine']It is pretty clunky right now, I'll definitely concede that. BN concedes that, as well. Firmware updates will hammer out the issues.[/QUOTE]

Sorry if I come off harsh but I'm sick of people calling the Nook better off of what it could be and talking points they haven't looked into.

Keep in mind that because of DRM, if you ever decide to leave the Kindle and Amazon's system, there's NO guarantee that you'll be able to transfer your books.

In fact, you absolutely will not as things are right now. There's a chance that Amazon will switch to DRM free ebooks, but that won't occur for years, at least.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Keep in mind that because of DRM, if you ever decide to leave the Kindle and Amazon's system, there's NO guarantee that you'll be able to transfer your books.

In fact, you absolutely will not as things are right now. There's a chance that Amazon will switch to DRM free ebooks, but that won't occur for years, at least.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sporadic']Kindle's DRM has been broken (besides Topaz) so you can convert whatever you purchase (again unless it is in Topaz) into a DRM-free .MOBI and with that, you can turn it into anything else. [/QUOTE]

[quote name='Liquid 2']How many end users will go through the trouble of figuring out to and actually breaking the DRM on their books?[/QUOTE]

How many end users actually care? If you want to go that route, look how many people bought into iTunes and iPods. Did any of them care about being locked into a system? Did any of them go "hey that Zune looks pretty awesome...oh no I can't transfer my aac files over :cry:"?

The fact is, it is possible to free your books and the process is insanely simple (a grand total for 4 mouse clicks with the PC app after you install python 2.6). If they can't be bothered to look into it, I doubt it would even bother them in the first place.

The users who care will find out about it and do it.

Those who don't won't. I don't care at all about DRM for e-books personally. I made the switch because I generally only read books once, but hate hassling with the library (limited selection, due dates, bums etc.) so I ended up not reading much as I hated buying books I'd read once and have cluttering the house until I lugged them home and stuck them in a closet at my parents or donated them somewhere.

So I'm buying stuff with the intention of reading it once, so I don't care about DRM and haven't bothered breaking it. I also probably won't switch from Kindle for my e-novel needs as Amazon's store has the best selection and prices in my experience, and I cover most of my e-book costs with Amazon GCs I get from my rewards Visa.

So as long as they're supporting the Kindle and selling Kindle books I'll have a device that can read them.

The other point I'd make with DRM, is Barne's and Noble has DRM on their bookstore for the Nook and Sony has DRM on their bookstore as well.

So it's not something limited to Amazon. If you're anti DRM, then buy some lesser known brand reader and stick to the DRM free sections of independent (not tied to a device) e-books stores like Fictionwise and public domain books from Feedbooks, Guttenburg etc.

All those DRM free books can be used on the Sony, the Kindle etc.--just buy the right format, or convert to the right format with a program like Calibre. So really the best option is to buy a Kindle or Sony and just strip the DRM if it bothers you, as then you have the selection of their stores (the two best) and still have access to the other sources for e-books.

my mom got a kindle 2 for christmas and it was pretty damn impressive. it was a lot easier on the eyes than i thought it would be. very small and lightweight. connecting it to wifi was simple and being able to purchase magazines and newspapers just as easy. i didnt use it in the dark, so cant say one way or another how that would be. as impressed as i was with it, ill be sticking with books, i just prefer them better. i like to own the book, and i feel a lot safer bring a book with me to work or on a plane, not to mentioning loaning it to a friend when im done.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']i didnt use it in the dark, so cant say one way or another how that would be. [/QUOTE]

E-ink devices are just the same as real books in the dark-can't read them!

There's no back lighting (which is why it's easy on the eyes). You can read them anywhere you can a book--by a lamp, with a clip on light, in sun light (don't fade out like an LCD screen).

But I get prefering books--I still buy hardcovers of the rare books I'll read over and over again. Bought the 3 volume, hard cover illustrated version of Lord of the Rings recently for example--well got it as a gift I asked for.

But I prefer e-books for most since there's no point in owning a book I'll only read once in a physical format that I then have to find space for, give away, hassle with the library etc.

My 2 sisters and I purchased my mom a kindle 2 last mothers day. I had to teach her how convert her .lit and pdfs and transfer them onto her kindle. Its a very impressive ereader. She doesn't have the light but we bought her the amazon protective cover/case. Its definitely worth the 25-30$ to protect the screen/device. The DX atm doesn't seem worth it because the price is so high.

There are reviews about the nook on if you are thinking about going that route. I thought about getting an ereader in the next year so would like to hear your opinions of the kindle or whichever ereader u decide on.
edit - forgot to mention if you are thinking about the nook beware of the current Android build. I guess its pretty sluggish from the reviews I seen. I haven't actually used one but maybe u would want to wait for a firmware upgrade if you decided on a nook.

[quote name='ajumbaje']I'm going with a kindle[/QUOTE]

Enjoy it!

Also, one thing that wasn't mentioned, was Amazon has a 30 day return policy on the Kindle. So if you end up not digging it (unlikely IMO), you can return it and only be out the cost of shipping it back to them.

Also, you can check the site and see if they have any refurbs. They go for $40 less than new units and all reports on Mobile Read have been that they are good as new, come in the full packaging etc.

Yeah, that's a great tip as well. Definitely keep the wireless off and only turn it on when you need to download a book etc. as it does drain the battery a lot faster with it turned on. And you don't need it all unless you're downloading something, browsing the store (easier to do on a PC anyway) etc.

When do newspapers usually come out? Early morning? I was thinking of subscribing to my local paper, which they have (Richmond times dispatch)

Kindle 2 is great, I'm on my second book and it still has at least 60% charge left. Easy on the eyes, thin and sleek, and fairly easy to use. I opted against the nook because it is a first generation device and I don't really have any need for a color navigation screen. It also supposedly has inferior battery life to the kindle because of the color nav screen.

[quote name='ajumbaje']When do newspapers usually come out? Early morning? I was thinking of subscribing to my local paper, which they have (Richmond times dispatch)[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure when I had my trial to the Orlando Sentinel, it came very early morning (think 4AM EST)

Keep in mind though that it isn't a perfect newspaper experience. Most of them have been boiled down to the text and a few pictures.

[quote name='Sporadic']
Keep in mind though that it isn't a perfect newspaper experience. Most of them have been boiled down to the text and a few pictures.[/QUOTE]

Yep, the screen's just too small to replicated the news paper experience very well.

There should be better newspaper options when some more large screen e-ink devices like the Plastic Logic Que come out.

Posting this here in hopes that menikmati sees, as he/she sent a PM asking some Kindle questions, but I couldn't respond as there PM box is full.

Anyway, to answer your questions if you see this post:

Sure, I use my Kindle just for reading novels, biographies etc.--just leisure reading.

I still buy real books for academic works, textbooks for courses I'm teaching etc. that I need to be able to highlight, write notes in the margins, flip through quickly (page turns are pretty slow on e-ink devices like the Kindle when it comes to flipping through to find something) etc. So no reason not to buy one for only some of you reading needs.

I too probably only read about 2 books a month (not counting work reading) and I love the Kindle. I read less than that before as it was too much hassle to buy a book I'd read once etc.

As for lights, I just have some Mighty Bright model I got on sale for $5 at Borders. E-ink is very much like paper (with a bit more glare but not much) so really any book light you like for a paper book will be 100% fine to clip onto the Kindle case and read that way.

I read through this thread and I'm wondering...why the talk of lights? Doesn't the kindle have a back-light? Is it not bright enough to read in low light?

no, the kindle doesn't have a back light.

i came in here to post that my wife's kindle 1 purchased new on oct 08 died. The screen is covered in black lines. Since its over a year, amazon won't replace it. For $99, they'll sell me a refurb unit.

Just something to know.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Posting this here in hopes that menikmati sees, as he/she sent a PM asking some Kindle questions, but I couldn't respond as there PM box is full.

Anyway, to answer your questions if you see this post:

Sure, I use my Kindle just for reading novels, biographies etc.--just leisure reading.

I still buy real books for academic works, textbooks for courses I'm teaching etc. that I need to be able to highlight, write notes in the margins, flip through quickly (page turns are pretty slow on e-ink devices like the Kindle when it comes to flipping through to find something) etc. So no reason not to buy one for only some of you reading needs.

I too probably only read about 2 books a month (not counting work reading) and I love the Kindle. I read less than that before as it was too much hassle to buy a book I'd read once etc.

As for lights, I just have some Mighty Bright model I got on sale for $5 at Borders. E-ink is very much like paper (with a bit more glare but not much) so really any book light you like for a paper book will be 100% fine to clip onto the Kindle case and read that way.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, trading in some games to soften the initial up-front cost.

[quote name='chakan']no, the kindle doesn't have a back light.

i came in here to post that my wife's kindle 1 purchased new on oct 08 died. The screen is covered in black lines. Since its over a year, amazon won't replace it. For $99, they'll sell me a refurb unit.

Just something to know.[/QUOTE]

Screen is covered in black lines? Sounds like your wife broke the screen somehow, not that it randomly died.

[quote name='AvidWriter']I read through this thread and I'm wondering...why the talk of lights? Doesn't the kindle have a back-light? Is it not bright enough to read in low light?[/QUOTE]

Nope. Backlighting adds to eye strain, makes reading in direct sunlight very difficult etc.

The Kindle and other e-ink screens are reflective. They basically look very much like paper--particularly the grayish paper in a cheaper paperback.

Very easy on the eyes, but you need a light source to read just like you would with a book. Basically anywhere you can read a book you can read the Kindle. You only need a clip on light if you're not reading near a lamp etc.--i.e. reading in bed while your partner is sleeping etc.

The e-ink technology is great for battery life as well. I charge my Kindle once every couple of weeks (keep the wireless off unless I need to download a book), and I read it at night at least 5 or 6 nights a week for an hour or so and leave it in standby in between readings.

If backlighting is a must for you, there are LCD screen readers out there like the Jetbook, or you could go with a tablet like the iPad.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Sporadic']Screen is covered in black lines? Sounds like your wife broke the screen somehow, not that it randomly died.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, from what I've read elsewhere that type of problem is usually caused from a drop or other wise damaging the screen (getting banged around in a purse etc.).

One downside is e-ink screens are relatively fragile.

dmaul1114, did you purchase an extended warranty for your Kindle? I won't be buying a case initially and would like to transport it with me so I can read during breaks in between classes. The Kindle 2 looks really fragile and I'm not sure if the $65 would warrant an extra year of coverage. However, I was considering putting a vinyl skin and screen protector on it, but if it's durable I'll refrain from doing so.

I bought a used K1 off of Craig's list when the K2 came out, so no.

Definitely get a case, and be careful with it in either case. Extended warranty is up to you, it comes with a 1 year warranty.

Personally, I generally never buy extended warranties for anything. My logic is that if I bought them for every electronic device I own, in the long-run I'd spend more on warranties than I would replacing the few things that break outside of the default warranty period.

But that's a personal decision, and you should factor in your budget etc. i.e. is $260 a big chunk of change for you, so that replacing it if you break it would be a major burden? Of course the confounding factor there is that if $260 is a big chunk of change, then paying $65 for the warranty probably isn't pocket change either! :D

Personally, if I bought one new I wouldn't get the warranty. Mine stays on the night stand and is read in bed most of the time, and is in the case in my briefcase when I travel etc. so I don't worry about breaking it too much. And if I did I could buy a new one without having to save up etc. so it's not worth it to me personally. They don't seem to have much problem with randomly crapping out. They are just fragile if you drop them on concrete, hardwood floors etc. outside of the case as e-ink screens are glass etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I'd add is Amazon usually has refurbs for sell for $60 or so less. By all reports I've seen they're good as new, come in original packaging, have a 1 year warranty etc.

So that's another option to consider if you want to save some cash.

I'll be on the lookout for that, I'm planning to purchase one sometime in March. Another thing I noticed was that they hold their resale value pretty decently. I could barely find any in my area on Craigslist that were below retail to make a drive, and finding a Kindle on eBay is a clusterfuck.

I haven't used it, but I use the Kindle for PC app to read on my office PC sometime which as I understand it is pretty much the same as the iPhone/iPod app.

It does pretty much everything the Kindle does in term of displaying a book, book marks, etc. And you can synch to the farthest page read if you have multiple machines with the App (PCs, iPhone/iPod) as well as actual Kindles.

In any case, the app and PC program are free, so you could download it, get a free book or two and try it out.

i am actually thinkin of grabbin a kindle thanks to this thread.

i have not been reading lately because of school homework and classes and all. However, i may grab one in the summer and see how many books i can digest.
The dictionary is a total plus. cant tell you how many times i have seen a big word. I just kept on reading cause i was too lazy to grab a dictionary. I figured i would find its definition in the sentences. that wasnt the case most of the times.:)
The battery, too, is complete win and its size and portability.

The only few turn off when i was browsing and reading the info on the kindle was that the kindle gives you digital downloads..
what the hell.
i feel like i want to own the physical copy and not just have the right to download a digital copy.
I also believe i saw that most of the books were going for 10 dollars.
10 bucks? i can grab a 3 dollar or 4 dollar book used from amazon's third party sellers.

i have always been a skeptic with the kindle.
If i have a steady income, i may just say "ahh f it" and grab it.
other than that, i dont see myself owning one...for now. :D

[quote name='cRodz']
The only few turn off when i was browsing and reading the info on the kindle was that the kindle gives you digital downloads..
what the hell.
i feel like i want to own the physical copy and not just have the right to download a digital copy.
I also believe i saw that most of the books were going for 10 dollars.
10 bucks? i can grab a 3 dollar or 4 dollar book used from amazon's third party sellers.
[/quote]

Well of course you only get a digital copy. If you buy an album through iTunes they don't give you the CD too do they?

By making the leap to e-books, your deciding to go with digital copies. If that's not a persons forte, then the physical books are still there and that's the way to go. I prefer digital copies for books as I seldom re-read and I'm not stuck with a physical book to have to store for no reason or hassle with donating, selling etc.

Most new books are $10. Most older stuff is the same price as the paper back is going for new on Amazon. But no, you won't get cheap used prices. You'll pay the same as the print version or more in some cases (I try not to buy if it's more than the print version).

I just got the Kindle app for my Blackberry Bold. Certainly not ideal for reading entire books, but it actually works decently.

I was also surprised at just how fast it is. I was on WiFi when I downloaded a couple samples and a couple of public domain books, but damn its fast.

If the Kindle didn't cost so much, and had support for graphic novels (I'm looking at you Walking Dead) I'd be all for it. The service itself seemed super quick and easy.

Yeah, e-book files are tiny, so the downloads even over 3G are pretty quick.

For support for comics, graphic novels etc. a tablet like the iPad would be superior to e-ink devices with the kindle since color is really needed (unless you're only reading black and white manga etc.).

i would never sell the physical copies of my books.
that is the reason i want the physical copy, to own it. i wanna build a library of my books...eventually:D

and heavens no!
i would never buy music on iTunes and own the right for the digital download. Ever.
i ,too, would rather own the physical copy of the disc.

i guess i am not a digital person. i rather have the physical copies.

But, Yeah i will buy the digital copy if it is the same price as the print version. After all, how would i be able to justify the purchase of my kindle!? lol (which i dont have at this point) =/

one more thing. the kindle app for the blackberry and the iphone is free?
if not, how much is it?
i just have to purchase the e-books for said app right?
i was browsing the kindle page today and i saw that there were apps for phones.

i think it would be a better deal if i buy a nice phone and download the kindle app to my nice phone instead of buying that 250 pad!

bread's done
Back