EA Sports NBA Jam - Releasing October 5th

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
http://www.gametrailers.com/player/63072.html
01_EAS_NBAJAM_News_640x360.jpg

Official Website - Has a weekly voting feature, pick the three players that you want for each team in the game. EA Sports also posts their own picks for the week

According to ESPN's Jon Robinson, EA has obtained the rights to the NBA Jam franchise, and is planning to announce it as a Wii-exclusive title. The article is here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/videogames/news/story?id=4795625

The second paragraph summarizes the basic information from their source, and the rest of the article is speculation and a short retrospective and trivia for the original.

Official Press Release:
GUILDFORD, UK,. – 11th Jan, 2010 – Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq: ERTS) announced today that EA SPORTS™ is developing one of the most popular and culturally influential arcade basketball games ever made -- NBA JAM -- for the Nintendo Wii™. EA SPORTS NBA JAM revives the classic franchise with vintage NBA JAM gameplay, and all-new features that deliver a fresh new take on the game. Featuring the sights and sounds that fans of the franchise will instantly recognize, EA SPORTS NBA JAM mixes the old school with the new, to deliver a one-of-a-kind sports presentation on the Wii.

“NBA JAM is one of the most recognizable franchises in videogame history,” said Peter Moore, President, EA SPORTS. “Diehard fans of the original game have been asking for a remake for more than a decade. We’re very excited to give them their wish this year with the return of this iconic franchise.”

Featuring gameplay that is true to the original, NBA JAM will have players spinning with ankle breaking moves to the basket and on the way to high-flying, backboard-smashing dunks. In addition to the classic experience, EA SPORTS NBA JAM will also introduce new game modes, characters and gameplay depth.

NBA JAM brought an all-new visual style to the sports videogame genre when it debuted in 1993. Now, the new EA SPORTS NBA JAM re-defines the visuals for a sports game yet again by bringing true-to-life body types, updated physics, and visible player emotion to the over- the - top experience.

EA SPORTS NBA JAM is currently in development at EA Canada in Vancouver, BC and will be available for the Nintendo Wii videogame system in 2010. The game has not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI.

For more information, visit www.nba-jam.easports.com, or join the EA SPORTS NBA JAM Facebook group at: www.facebook.com/NBAJAM/

EA SPORTS™ is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world, with top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning interactive technology, global videogame competitions and breakthrough digital experiences. EA SPORTS delivers personal access to the emotion of sports through industry-leading sports simulation videogames, including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, NCAA® Football and NCAA Basketball, Fight Night boxing and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® golf, while EA SPORTS Active Personal Trainer for the Wii is the most critically acclaimed product available for interactive fitness.

For more information about EA SPORTS, including news, video, blogs, forums, fantasy leagues and game communities, please visit www.easports.co.uk to connect, share and compete.

Last edited by a moderator:
The NeoGAF thread about this is freaking hilarious.

Almost every single post is whining about it being on the Wii exclusively.

It's funny, one day people will bitch about there being "nothing to play on the Wii", and then when something gets announced that they want to play all they do is bitch about it not being on the 360 or PS3.

One can only hope that this is exclusive to the Wii because it fully utilizes Wii Motion Plus. That could be pretty awesome if they get it right.

Awesome. I hope they can recreate the magic of the SNES/Genesis version.

[quote name='Scrubking']It's, EA so there really isn't anything to get excited about.[/QUOTE]

I can't believe EA, of all companies, ended up with NBA Jam. Then again, Acclaim didn't do much with it either.

Easily the best news all day, and my first reaction was an immediate "must buy"...

But after reflecting for a bit, I'm concerned that any excitement is driven by pure nostalgia. Will a new NBA Jam be able to live up to the arcade madness that it orginally captured? Maybe. Maybe not. Seems like a long LONG time since the franchise has even been relevant.

Well, looks like Mark Turmell (Designer of Smash TV, NBA Jam, and NFL Blitz) was hired to a Senior Creative Director position at EA Sports Tiburon.
http://www.easports.com/news/item/file/EASPORTS_MarkTurmell

This brings up some interesting connections to the ESPN article. As Kotaku pointed out, to be hired to a senior director position out of the blue like this would seem to hint that he's been doing contract consulting work for EA, something that was mentioned in the ESPN piece. The ESPN article also said that Turmell wanted to work on more sports games, and EA Tiburon is the developer of Madden, so that may be a hint of things to come after NBA Jam. Allegedly, EA will officially announce NBA Jam on January 11th.

[quote name='The ESPN article in the OP']And that crazy four-player action is set to return big-time as sources claim that EA has not only hired Mark Turmell to work on upcoming sports games (would love to see him also bring back "NFL Blitz"), he's already been brought to EA's Vancouver studio to help consult on the new "Jam."[/quote]

How could EA, the company most likely to spawn the exact same game over as many platforms as possible, create an exclusive mainstream game?

EA officially announced it today, no screens yet though:
http://gonintendo.com/viewstory.php?id=110404

GUILDFORD, UK,. – 11th Jan, 2010 – Electronic Arts Inc. (Nasdaq: ERTS) announced today that EA SPORTS™ is developing one of the most popular and culturally influential arcade basketball games ever made -- NBA JAM -- for the Nintendo Wii™. EA SPORTS NBA JAM revives the classic franchise with vintage NBA JAM gameplay, and all-new features that deliver a fresh new take on the game. Featuring the sights and sounds that fans of the franchise will instantly recognize, EA SPORTS NBA JAM mixes the old school with the new, to deliver a one-of-a-kind sports presentation on the Wii.

“NBA JAM is one of the most recognizable franchises in videogame history,” said Peter Moore, President, EA SPORTS. “Diehard fans of the original game have been asking for a remake for more than a decade. We’re very excited to give them their wish this year with the return of this iconic franchise.”

Featuring gameplay that is true to the original, NBA JAM will have players spinning with ankle breaking moves to the basket and on the way to high-flying, backboard-smashing dunks. In addition to the classic experience, EA SPORTS NBA JAM will also introduce new game modes, characters and gameplay depth.

NBA JAM brought an all-new visual style to the sports videogame genre when it debuted in 1993. Now, the new EA SPORTS NBA JAM re-defines the visuals for a sports game yet again by bringing true-to-life body types, updated physics, and visible player emotion to the over- the - top experience.

EA SPORTS NBA JAM is currently in development at EA Canada in Vancouver, BC and will be available for the Nintendo Wii videogame system in 2010. The game has not yet been rated by the ESRB or PEGI.

For more information, visit www.nba-jam.easports.com, or join the EA SPORTS NBA JAM Facebook group at: www.facebook.com/NBAJAM/

EA SPORTS™ is one of the leading sports entertainment brands in the world, with top-selling videogame franchises, award-winning interactive technology, global videogame competitions and breakthrough digital experiences. EA SPORTS delivers personal access to the emotion of sports through industry-leading sports simulation videogames, including Madden NFL football, FIFA Soccer, NHL® hockey, NBA LIVE basketball, NCAA® Football and NCAA Basketball, Fight Night boxing and Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® golf, while EA SPORTS Active Personal Trainer for the Wii is the most critically acclaimed product available for interactive fitness.

For more information about EA SPORTS, including news, video, blogs, forums, fantasy leagues and game communities, please visit www.easports.co.uk to connect, share and compete.

NBA Jam >>>>> Street, Ballers, or any other knockoff.

Give us a new Blitz too. Not that The League crap. Stupid Madden monopoly on the NFL license.

[quote name='maximumzero']The NeoGAF thread about this is freaking hilarious.

Almost every single post is whining about it being on the Wii exclusively[/QUOTE]
After Crushed got banned, whining is all that place is. Is.

Anyways I hope that guy who made that thing releases the tools so that we may all make our own big head mode.

Skeptical.

1) EA generally doesnt create games worth playing
2) The NBA Jam property hasnt been relevant in a long time, a revival isnt a sure thing. A lot of unrealistic basketball games have come and gone since then.
3) Sports games enthusiasts are MASSIVE graphics/online whores. NBA Jam in its time, while stylized, wasnt a graphical slouch.
4) I'm skeptical that it is being developed as a true exclusive and not as a timed exclusive, which may entail compromising game design for future porting.

I just hope they don't go overboard with the motion controls and try and make a Wii Sports Resort Baskeball game.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Mario Strikers Charged.

You know it would be nice to package the classic SNES tournament edition onto the disc as well.

And there better be a code to play as President Obama

[quote name='Caddywompus21']I just hope they don't go overboard with the motion controls and try and make a Wii Sports Resort Baskeball game.

I'm thinking more along the lines of Mario Strikers Charged.

You know it would be nice to package the classic SNES tournament edition onto the disc as well.

And there better be a code to play as President Obama[/QUOTE]

The latest Nintendo Power says you can play either with or without motion controls.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Skeptical.

1) EA generally doesnt create games worth playing - .[/QUOTE]Generally, but after Henry Hatsworth, they get a fair shot.
[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']2) The NBA Jam property hasnt been relevant in a long time, a revival isnt a sure thing. A lot of unrealistic basketball games have come and gone since then. - .[/QUOTE]NBA Jam was arcade basketball, simple and fun, captured right and with a PR push it would easily work again.
[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']3) Sports games enthusiasts are MASSIVE graphics/online whores. NBA Jam in its time, while stylized, wasnt a graphical slouch..[/QUOTE] True, but it was a pixel based game, not polygonal. Keeping with that alone and upping to 480p would be an improvement. Granted, I'll give you the Wii hasnt shown anything quite like what a modern NBA Jam would look like.
[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']4) I'm skeptical that it is being developed as a true exclusive and not as a timed exclusive, which may entail compromising game design for future porting.[/QUOTE] Maybe, but given that most companies seem to make two engines these days Wii/PS2 and 360/PS3 it would be quite interesting to see one engine across the three systems.

EA did make Grand Slam Tennis which I believe was Wii-exclusive. I doubt NBA Live is selling well on the Wii, which would be a valid version to go for it.

[quote name='Lone_Prodigy']EA did make Grand Slam Tennis which I believe was Wii-exclusive. I doubt NBA Live is selling well on the Wii, which would be a valid version to go for it.[/QUOTE]

GST is coming to other consoles, but it'll be realistic this time. So a timed-exclusive, yeppers.

I forgot how much I liked this game when I was a kid, so my girlfriend and I went out and bought the Genesis version of NBA Jam TE for about $3.

We couldn't put it down, it is so damn good lol! If the Wii version ends up good, we'll be buying it for damn sure lol

I just got the Nintendo Power... The Graphic choice is brilliant. The bodies are polygonal 3d models that look reasonable enough, but the heads are cutouts taken from high resolution in-real game shots. I havent seen a trailer, but the effect might be close to what you get from celebrity caracters on South Park.

A side note, Sports Nation on ESPN was glowing about the development. Simply put, EA will have to work hard to screw this up.

[quote name='foltzie']I just got the Nintendo Power... The Graphic choice is brilliant. The bodies are polygonal 3d models that look reasonable enough, but the heads are cutouts taken from high resolution in-real game shots. I havent seen a trailer, but the effect might be close to what you get from celebrity caracters on South Park.[/QUOTE]

That sounds ridiculous. If they wanted to do that, they should have kept everything 2D like the old NBA Jam games.

[quote name='Chuplayer']That sounds ridiculous. If they wanted to do that, they should have kept everything 2D like the old NBA Jam games.[/QUOTE]

Did you ever play the original? Ridiculous is the point.

It's difficult to tell whether the bodies are 3D from this photo. According to the GAF topic, there are 21 screens in the Nintendo Power article, so maybe it may show more in the others. In any case, it will be interesting to see how it looks in motion.

So I read through the article in NP, heres what I got:

- 2 Modes, 1 is called Classic Campaign, plays pretty much identical to previous NBA Jams, 2v2, no rules other than shot clock and goaltending. The other is called Remix Tour, which is different, changing the core mechanics, rule tweaks, and camera tweaks etc. The devs didnt want to go into detail on the Remix Tour mode yet.

- Theres tons of new dunks, a new spin move that can evade the shove move.

- The faces are actual photograph captures, each character has multiple faces, 3 faces while running the court, 2 dunk faces, and a positive and negative face. (Looks hilarious.
Basically its 3d bodies with 2d heads)

- Option of motion controls or holding the wiimote sideways. Didnt see any mention of the Classic Controller

- NP provided a checklist of what is in the game:

Fire
Shattering Backboard
Cheats
Flashing Shoes
Flashing ball
Big Head Mode
Legends
Playable Mascots
Secret Characters
---------------------------
Speaking of which, I had to go buy a copy. The pictures are great, and the initial leaked picture is completely indicative of the game's style. The players' faces transform between expressions with a 'blur' to make it look more natural than an instant swap. When they perform an incredible play, they run back up with court with a goofy grin; likewise, a crybaby expression appears when they fail. The first picture in the article with Gasol, Kobe, and Shaq running up the court with LeBron dunking over top of them is hilarious. The first thing I thought of was Hangtime. It may be in 3D, but it really has the look of long, thin players and cardboard cut-outs of team benches, fans, and press row.

It really sounds like these guys believe in the original Jam product, and instantly turned down any cartoon style or added gimmicks (besides motion control, optional) not previously found in the series. Players can be substituted at halftime like before. Hidden characters and unlockable mascots are in. Flashing ball and flashing shoes are in. They added old school legends (one picture shows Larry Bird with a picture-perfect follow through from downtown). They mentioned nothing about hook shots, double dunks, lean-ins, or create-a-player. I hope they also add stat tracking for initials - win/loss ratio, PPG, OPPG, world records, etc. I'm hyped!
-------------------------
- A button passes
- B button is turbo
- Swipe controller side to side to execute crossover(offense) or steal attempt(defense)
- Shooting and Blocking are a two part gesture much like that in Wii Sports Resort Basketball.
- Pull the Wii remote up to jump, then flick forward to release the ball on offense, or swat at ball on defense
- To pull of a dunk simply hold the turbo button, and use the same gestures as if you were shooting the ball
- Holding turbo while swiping the controller side to side will execute the trademark shove (on defense)
- Holding the turbo while swiping on offense will execute a spin move which can counter the shove

[quote name='guyver2077']god dammit.. why the hell is this wii exclusive[/QUOTE]

There could be any number of reasons.

The game should play better on the Wii since it encourages in room 4 player action. (because of crappy online support)

The audience for NBA Jam was largely the casual gamer and those folks have the Wii.

EA sports is floating this idea to see if it still has legs, if it works it will show up in some form on the 360/PS3.

EA Sports decided that trying to make an NBA Live All Play version was pointless and looked for something else to sell on the Wii. Furthermore, selling NBA Jam on the 360/PS3 might cut into NBA Live year over year purchases.

i love nba jam, i should be excited but i'm not at all. EA sucks balls, i just know there gonna screw this up.

I never played NBA Jam growing up, since I was too young for the SNES days, but I can't wait for this game. Looks awesome, and a great game for my Wii collection.

[quote name='jman619']I don't mind seeing a new NBA Jam although my faith in EA is lacking. I know it won't be as great as the old days.[/QUOTE]

If great requires a joystick and wooden cabinet you would be correct.

[quote name='foltzie']Did you ever play the original? Ridiculous is the point.[/QUOTE]

It was never a visual joke. Except for the big heads, but those were fun.

That being said, the scan there looks interesting.

[quote name='Chuplayer']It was never a visual joke. Except for the big heads, but those were fun.

That being said, the scan there looks interesting.[/QUOTE]

I must politely disagree, the heads were always slightly oversized and other aspects of the game were cartoony. The update just takes that concept a little father.

I would agree, the scan is interesting. I want to see a trailer to see how it works and how the game plays overall.

Was at the grocery store earlier and looked at the Nintendo Power issue with the screens in it. It looked fuck'ing awesome lol.
Some hilarious faces.

I normally hate most sports game, but I'll probably pick this one up for sure :D

Seeing as this is EA we are talking about, there seems to be no reason this is exclusive to the Wii. The game would be perfect on PSN or XBLM.

bread's done
Back