Zelda Wii should release in 2010, according to Iwata interview

Cao Cao

CAGiversary!
Recently, Iwata conducted an interview with Asahi Shinbun. While the big news to come out of that article was a blurb about the next-gen DS, there were some other items of interest. According to the Google translation of the article, they hope to get the next Zelda title out on the market by the end of 2010. He also mentioned the Vitality Sensor, and says that they plan to announce games for the peripheral by July.

Siliconera article
Asahi Shinbun article

I can't rememeber the last major game Nintendo released on originally announced date. And note the word "should".

[quote name='laaj']I can't rememeber the last major game Nintendo released on originally announced date. And note the word "should".[/QUOTE]

New Super Mario Bros Wii is announced at E3 2009 for a Holiday 2009 release. Glad that didn't happen.

Be sure to come back and tell me "Oh it doesn't count" or "Oh that release date was vague" or something. I'll welcome that.

So they are aiming to give us Galaxy 2, Other M, and Zelda in 2010? That would be awesome, I doubt they do it but it would be awesome. Still, two of the three would be good enough for me, need something for 2011.

[quote name='Kaoz']So they are aiming to give us Galaxy 2, Other M, and Zelda in 2010? That would be awesome, I doubt they do it but it would be awesome. Still, two of the three would be good enough for me, need something for 2011.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it should be a good year for the Wii.

Has Nintendo shown anything for the new Zelda, outside of that one piece of concept art?

[quote name='Vinny']
Has Nintendo shown anything for the new Zelda, outside of that one piece of concept art?[/QUOTE]

No, outside of vague answers in interviews. To put it into perspective, we know more about Epic Mickey than Zelda right now, and all we've seen there are a few screens and an animation test loop.

Last thing I remember hearing roughly a month ago was that "no art style has been decided upon at this time" and that they were looking at ReginLeiv as a potential inspiration, which...I don't know what to think about that.

As an aside/addendum to my previous post in here, this makes me question how in the hell the game could be ready this year. I want to make it clear that I fully get the attitude of not believing Nintendo on release dates, since they are terrible about them. Recently, though, they made some noise about how "we can't announce a game until we are sure it is going to come out when we say it will," in response to this exact popular theory regarding their delays.

Which is to say, I don't know if it will or will not come out this year. Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid Other M would be a huge holiday offering as it is. Zelda completing the trifecta almost screams of overkill.

Didn't I read that Nintendo said they felt they had dropped the ball by not putting out enough top tier games? If so, then having 3 major titles this year doesn't seem so far fetched.

It's not so much that as it is I suspect these titles would all fall in the later months of 2010, which may or may not cannibalize each other. I imagine Mario Galaxy having the highest recognition, which would probably hurt Metroid. Zelda could probably survive well on its own.

But this ends up getting far too hypothetical to really say much of anything.

[quote name='Kaoz']So they are aiming to give us Galaxy 2, Other M, and Zelda in 2010? That would be awesome, I doubt they do it but it would be awesome. Still, two of the three would be good enough for me, need something for 2011.[/QUOTE]
In 2007 we got Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3 and Phantom Hourglass so I do see all three coming out this year a possibility, though I wouldn't be surprised if one of them is pushed back to early 2011.

When people say that we might get them all in 2010, who exactly does "we" mean? I wouldn't be surprised if all three games are released during the year, but doubt that all three are available in all regions. (My guess for North America: Mario and Metroid in 2010, Zelda coming in 2011.)

Another question: is this be the tail end of first party development for Wii? Seems like Nintendo have hit almost all the major franchises at least once on Wii, leaving only some smaller names (like Pikmin and maybe Star Fox or F-Zero) to fill scheduling gaps over the next 12-18 months.

I'm not sure, although I am not too happy with NOA. NCL announces a lot of games but whether or not they actually make it Stateside is a completely different story.

Sin and Punishment 2 was suppose to come within the first quarter and it has now disappeared, Regneliv has no announcement (yet), and Trace Memory R is probably not going to see release here (it has been out in Europe and Japan for a year now). I would like to know what the hell NOA has been doing lately.

I completely digress though. :D I'm sure we'll see S&P2, not so sure about the others though.

[quote name='Kaoz']So they are aiming to give us Galaxy 2, Other M, and Zelda in 2010? [/QUOTE]

Hate to be the a-hole here, but that's not enough for me. I want Galaxy 2 as much as the next guy, same for Other M and Zelda, but come on, we've already gotten these franchises on the Wii. Where's F-Zero, Pikmin, Waverace, Pilotwings, Starfox and Icarus to name a few? Enough of the core 3 already, they own more than 3 IPs, they need to use them. :wall:

[quote name='Corvin']Hate to be the a-hole here, but that's not enough for me. I want Galaxy 2 as much as the next guy, same for Other M and Zelda, but come on, we've already gotten these franchises on the Wii. Where's F-Zero, Pikmin, Waverace, Pilotwings, Starfox and Icarus to name a few? Enough of the core 3 already, they own more than 3 IPs, they need to use them. :wall:[/QUOTE]

I'd love to see Wave Race done with dual Wiimotes as the handlebars. I'd especially like to put in a vote for Eternal Darkness 2 and Faxanadu 2. Give me those two titles, and I'll personally hand wash your sack every Tuesday afternoon, Nintendo.

I wish they'd make Eternal Darkness 2 as well but Silicon Knights is wrapped up in their Too Human trilogy. Though I completely agree on needed Pikmin, F-Zero, Starfox and perhaps a DK adventure game appearances this gen. Don't stay so caught up on the SSBB delays because I remember Punch Out and NSMBWii being announced and released in about the time they predicted.

For what it's worth they have so many in house teams to work on their products, it really shouldn't have been a problem for them to come up with a Zelda game considering the last one was released three years ago unless they've just been focusing on the handhelds exclusively.

Hate to be the a-hole here, but that's not enough for me. I want Galaxy 2 as much as the next guy, same for Other M and Zelda, but come on, we've already gotten these franchises on the Wii. Where's F-Zero, Pikmin, Waverace, Pilotwings, Starfox and Icarus to name a few? Enough of the core 3 already, they own more than 3 IPs, they need to use them. :wall:

Fair enough, only major difference between us is I count Twilight Princess as a gc game and not a Wii game. So I am still waiting for a Wii Zelda =P.
They may have some other games planned, weren't Excitebots and Excitebike WR both announced really close to release?

When people say that we might get them all in 2010, who exactly does "we" mean? I wouldn't be surprised if all three games are released during the year, but doubt that all three are available in all regions. (My guess for North America: Mario and Metroid in 2010, Zelda coming in 2011.)
True, that is what I expect as well, NA gets 2 this year (Mario/Metroid assuming Metroid doesn't see delays, I don't know how Tem Ninja is with hitting deadlines.) and Japan, will aim for 2010 for Zelda (but I would bet it gets delays)

[quote name='QiG']
For what it's worth they have so many in house teams to work on their products, it really shouldn't have been a problem for them to come up with a Zelda game considering the last one was released three years ago unless they've just been focusing on the handhelds exclusively.[/QUOTE]

And the fact that the last Zelda was a Gamecube game with hacked on Wii controls :bomb::bomb::bomb:. (Should have been released waaaay earlier and as originally intended [GC] in my opinion)

[quote name='Strell']New Super Mario Bros Wii is announced at E3 2009 for a Holiday 2009 release. Glad that didn't happen.

Be sure to come back and tell me "Oh it doesn't count" or "Oh that release date was vague" or something. I'll welcome that.[/QUOTE]

That is only one game out of what? Nintendo's track record of keeping original release dates aren't good.

[quote name='laaj']That is only one game out of what? Nintendo's track record of keeping original release dates aren't good.[/QUOTE]

I might be missing the point here, but who is good at keeping originally announced dates? I remember more than a few titles -- from a wide variety of publishers and across all systems -- slipping in the past several years. Heck, just look at how many games were pushed back into 2010 instead of meeting their announced deadlines.

As long as the end product is solid, I'm in no rush for more games right now. But I'd much rather see games delayed than have them released before they are ready.

[quote name='ejamer']I might be missing the point here, but who is good at keeping originally announced dates? I remember more than a few titles -- from a wide variety of publishers and across all systems -- slipping in the past several years. Heck, just look at how many games were pushed back into 2010 instead of meeting their announced deadlines.

As long as the end product is solid, I'm in no rush for more games right now. But I'd much rather see games delayed than have them released before they are ready.[/QUOTE]

There are still few which do keep release dates like Assassin's Creed team but yes most aren't that good at it. Which makes posts like this useless..... :wall: K, won't be wasting any more time on this post.

[quote name='laaj']There are still few which do keep release dates like Assassin's Creed team but yes most aren't that good at it. Which makes posts like this useless..... :wall: K, won't be wasting any more time on this post.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't say it's useless, but my question wasn't meant to be rhetorical.

In an industry where I've almost come to expect delays for major titles, there must be a few companies that manage to release games on time. But when I think back to major releases over the past couple of years I seem to recall a lot of delays and adjusted schedules. Any team (like the AC2 team) that seems able to regularly meet their dates on big projects deserve the recognition!

Or am I overstating the problem? Perhaps most of the delays I remember are just attempts to avoid scheduling conflicts (ie: Modern Warfare 2) or first-party games that need to be system sellers? Maybe I'm focused on just a few high profile examples and not looking at the bigger picture?

The second sentence about not minding delays if the end product justifies the wait is purely personal opinion. Doesn't make it any less frustrating or upsetting to have people promise something and then not come through.

[quote name='ejamer']Any team (like the AC2 team) that seems able to regularly meet their dates on big projects deserve the recognition!
[/QUOTE]

Wasn't the original Assassin's Creed bumped nearly a year?

The Assassin's Creed 2 team was a pretty amusing example, considering Ubisoft is also working on Splinter Cell: Conviction which was originally scheduled for a 2007 release. Three years later and it's finally on the verge of being released.

Anyway, I highly doubt a Zelda Wii will be coming out this year, unless they're waaay further into development than they've let on. As far as I know, Majora's Mask was the fastest 3D console Zelda game to be made (around 1-1.5 years), and it only had four dungeons, plus it used the same engine as OoT. I'm expecting a release of around mid-late 2011 for a Wii Zelda, but maybe they'll surprise me.

While having all three games in one year is great, I don't expect it unless one in the spring, one in late summer and one in fall to break them up. I don't think Nintendo would release three games in one season.

Well, presumably Super Mario Galaxy 2 is ready to go. Didn't they just delay releasing that so they wouldn't have 2 Mario games in 2009? So potentially they could release that in Spring, once NSMB fever has died down a bit (if it has by then). Who knows how far along Metroid and Zelda are, though.

I think it will be a April release for Galaxy 2, like an August or September release for Other M, and a November release for Zelda.

there is so much weight on this game. if they don't release a motion controller game, the wii is dead. nintendo needs to use other game titles other then metroid, zelda and mario. these three game titles have been used way too many times and they are starting to get pretty boring. they should try bringing back kid icarus and a new star fox space shooting. i could see two great uses of these two games by using the wii remote.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']there is so much weight on this game. if they don't release a motion controller game, the wii is dead.[/QUOTE]
Hilarious.

Look, even though I'll be the first to admit Wii is AIDS the damn thing is nigh unstoppable. It's a juggernaut being propelled by 'mainstream' or 'family-friendly' titles and nothing is going to take it's crown. The numbers, they do not lie.

Nintendo does need to start using their other franchises more. They have a ton that are just sitting on shelves collecting dust. Kid Icarus can be their God of War, Star Fox needs a true successor to 64, Donkey Kong needs a game without bongos, Kirby needs a console game since the GC one was canceled, a Pikmin sequel would be great since the controller would work well, F-Zero can provide another racing game.

When there is more info released than a picture and Iwata saying it's coming out in 2010 than I'll be excited. Right now I'll just wait for more info. I do expect them to use the same engine that was in TP as it would cut down on development time.

not a timeline guy but i played the legend of zelda twilight and it is off the hook ... but i may have to say why are the graphics not that aweomse... is it because it was supposed to be on gamecube ?

bread's done
Back