Thinking of Selling Off My DVD Collection

lupinckc

CAGiversary!
After much back and forth between my significant other and I, I have decided (been put in an choke hold) to maybe (definitely) sell off some (most) of my DVD collection.

http://antihero.dvdaf.com/owned

I know everyone says this, I have a lot of rare and oop stuff especially Korean limited editions and many box sets. I am mostly looking for advice as far as how I should sell, if anything I have seems worth much, and about how much I should expect for the entire collection (Excluding Blus)

THIS IS NOT A TRADE ATTEMPT, please do not PM me offers.

Do what I'd do, and tell your significant other to fuck off and then keep your DVDs.

There's really only one solution:

Bitch%20Slap.gif

I am thinking of doing something similar since I switched to BR...however there are a number of dvds that I will not sell or give away just because I have blu now. Stuff like 80's cartoons or any 90's cartoons (like batman/superman) or anything that won't look good on BR from SD recording techniques. If you have the storage space, dump them to your PC/Convert them to your IPOD or other media player. With the right software you can media stream them to your 360 then to your big screen.

I was just joking about my girl's influence over this decision (being held at knife point, send help)

So if future replies would stray from the "get a new gf" "slap a hoe" and other assorted amazing replies, it would be much appreciated.

[quote name='lupinckc']I was just joking about my girl's influence over this decision (being held at knife point, send help)

So if future replies would stray from the "get a new gf" "slap a hoe" and other assorted amazing replies, it would be much appreciated.[/QUOTE]

But it'd be much less fun ;)

In all seriousness, are you looking to get rid of it all at once, in large chunks, or piecemeal? The obvious option is to put up a sale list in the trading forum. Otherwise, maybe a used cd/dvd store? When I was ready to unload my entire CD collection, I took it to a store and told them I didn't want to bring anything home.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']But it'd be much less fun ;)

In all seriousness, are you looking to get rid of it all at once, in large chunks, or piecemeal? The obvious option is to put up a sale list in the trading forum. Otherwise, maybe a used cd/dvd store? When I was ready to unload my entire CD collection, I took it to a store and told them I didn't want to bring anything home.[/QUOTE]

I guess I'm mostly looking for related experiences from other people. It seems like all ways of getting rid of them will have negative sides, aside from the sentimental value, so I want some other people's stories as far as success and failure. My idea is pretty much to sort everything out by Common, Rare, Boxset, Region. Sell off all the common stuff in a lot, and TRY to get rid of the more obscure oop stuff individually via trades, Ebay, Amazon.

(If this is against forums rules delete this part)
Ultimately I plan on setting up a media server and backing up a good chunk of my collection.

When I was cleaning up my collection I went through Amazon and Half to see what the values where, I made over double on some items. For really cheap stuff I put on swapadvd.com and with that used the credits for movies I really wanted and also posted those here for trades. If you sell them in a group of commons you might only make a $1 or $2 each just if you can even sell them. Maybe in smaller lots of like items like the Batman movies, Cowboy Bebop seasons +Movie.

And are you sure you want to get rid of all your disc? There's got to be some to a lot you're going to want to rewatch enough times that even renting them will cost more than just keeping them in the first place.

And with the media server you still need the original discs to be legal.

What's her problem? That it all takes up too much space? If so, buy a couple 200-300 sleeve cases from CaseLogic and put your DVD cases in the attic/garage/basement.

Then you can keep your shit and she doesn't have to look at it.

So far I've backed up about 25% (give or take) of or what I intend to. I boxed up a bunch of stuff that I probably don't plan on watching anytime soon, and I most likely will sell off. In time I'll update my DVDaf account to reflect what I got rid of, then the next step will be to trade from there.

It's pretty sad that over half of the comments are just people telling me to dump my gf when I plainly said I was joking.(Not joking, I think I tasted arsenic in my turkey sandwich today.)

Guess you need to get your post count up however you can.

Kind of related....

Does anyone know of any good places to donate DVDs?

I have a few--maybe 10-15--that are common/worthless that I've either upgraded to Blu or just will probably never watch again (freebies that came with DVD players years back etc.) that I'd like to get rid of, but seem like they'll never trade on Goozex and not worth the hassle to sell on eBay or Craigslist for a $2-3 a piece.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Kind of related....

Does anyone know of any good places to donate DVDs?

I have a few--maybe 10-15--that are common/worthless that I've either upgraded to Blu or just will probably never watch again (freebies that came with DVD players years back etc.) that I'd like to get rid of, but seem like they'll never trade on Goozex and not worth the hassle to sell on eBay or Craigslist for a $2-3 a piece.[/QUOTE]
Doesn't Salvation Army take them?

Do you honestly feel that compelled to be such a dickwad when you clearly understand beforehand that posting in the off-topic forum of a videogame website will get you sarcastic replies?

In all seriousness, collecting DVDs seems to be a hobby that you enjoy quite a bit. There's clearly a compromise that can (and should) be reached here. Do you need to slow down because you're spending too much money? Are the racks and racks of DVDs messing with the feng shui of your home? I think your best option is to rip em and box em up and put them out of site.

But do what you gotta do. I wouldn't dare say anything like "you might as well put your balls up for sale because you're letting your significant other significantly change a significant part of who you are and it will be setting a significant precedent if there's not one already in place." I won't say anything like that because it's rude of me to assume things.

On the bright side, this frees up time, money and space to pursue other productive hobbies like crack-whoring and wine tasting. Awesome!

bread's done
Back