- - - - -

Tonight Show Shakeup Leno Back In

#1 wildcpac   Banned Banned   2913 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

wildcpac

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:04 PM

Just read on TMZ that Jay Leno is going to take over The Tonight Show on February 1st following the Olympics. Conan is rumored to be moving back to the following time slot.

#2 QiG   I'm all out of gum.. CAGiversary!   2866 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:10 PM

Fuck that shit, I LOVE watching Conan at 11:30 when I'm going to bed. I've caught Jay at 10 and I just don't like him as much (at all)

#3 freakyzeeky   Trophy Ho CAGiversary!   3931 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

freakyzeeky

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:13 PM

Jay Leno succcckkss. Why does NBC even bother with Jay? He's sooo bland and unfunny. :(

#4 naiku   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ CAGiversary!   1539 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:14 PM

^
ratings. leno got ratings. conan didn't. Its getting a little annoying with the amount of switching going on even though I don't watch either show.

#5 Salamando3000   For Good or for Awesome CAGiversary!   1757 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Salamando3000

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:17 PM

Is anything on NBC actually getting ratings right now? Seem to recall Leno doing terrible at 10, only being kept because his show was cheaper to make than a drama or something, making it still profitable.

#6 Rei no Otaku   Rei's love CAGiversary!   10309 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Rei no Otaku

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:19 PM

^
ratings. leno got ratings. conan didn't. Its getting a little annoying with the amount of switching going on even though I don't watch either show.

Everyone I talk to, myself included, likes Conan better. Who is watching Leno?

#7 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10528 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:55 PM

Fuck that and Fuck Leno.

#8 cdubb1605   white trash renegade CAGiversary!   1144 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

cdubb1605

Posted 07 January 2010 - 11:58 PM

Fuck that and Fuck Leno.

agreed

#9 camoor   Jams on foot fires CAGiversary!   15226 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:02 AM

Must be those people who voted for Bush W. I don't know any of them either.

#10 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5081 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:07 AM

Fuck this shit. I hope NBC burns to the ground.

#11 Matt Young   Follow the buzzards CAGiversary!   15183 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Matt Young

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:16 AM

Leno's show is substantially worse than The Tonight Show was even when Jay hosted. Conan's leaps and bounds better than Jay.

#12 62t   Zune Duck! CAGiversary!   19941 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:20 AM

If this is true I hope Conan will move to another channel.

#13 PenguinoMF   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3416 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:34 AM

I don't see how they can just kick Conan out of the 11:30 spot. I'm sure he entered into a contract that guaranteed him that spot for a certain amount of time.

Put Leno at 12:30 and get rid of Jimmy Fallon. Now that show sucks.

#14 xxDOYLExx   I Swallowed A Bug CAGiversary!   886 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

xxDOYLExx

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:38 AM

I don't see how they can just kick Conan out of the 11:30 spot. I'm sure he entered into a contract that guaranteed him that spot for a certain amount of time.

Put Leno at 12:30 and get rid of Jimmy Fallon. Now that show sucks.

They will buy conan out

#15 sendme   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5117 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:39 AM

^

From what I have read leno is geting worse ratings than he got on the tonight show and that is why conan is doing bad. You put a show on that gets low ratings do you really expect people to watch the next show. That late I would go to sleep or do something else.

Didn't they want to replace conan on his own show when he first started? I read about a month or 2 ago that they wanted to replace conan on the tonight show due to the low ratings.

#16 raarar   With sexy results. CAGiversary!   587 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 12:47 AM

Fuck this shit. I hope NBC burns to the ground.

Whoa buddy. The Office, don't forget about that.

#17 Danimal   12/2003 - 9/2018 CAGiversary!   2920 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:10 AM

He appeals to an older demographic. Then again, I'm 43 and I can't remember a single time he ever made me laugh. Maybe he appeals to a much older demographic. Or he made a deal with Satan.

#18 IRHari   COME ON! CAGiversary!   3815 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:19 AM

Yeah Conan appeals to a younger demographic, a LOT of high school/college age kids. Leno appeals to that older crowd. I find both of them funny, but for some reason I enjoy Conan's brand of humor a lot more. Dunno why.

#19 dinovelvet   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3630 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

dinovelvet

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:37 AM

Leno is Mr. Middle America. Easy jokes, easy laughs. Seeing him interview dumbasses on the street, reading out typo headlines etc = comfort food for the brain.

Conan is much more of a niche performer whom a lot of people just don't "get". He really changed his act for the tonight show to try and be more mainstream, but I think it just hasn't worked.

#20 Koggit   almost sorry CAGiversary!   3886 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:43 AM

do either of those fools actually make people laugh? like audible "ha ha" laugh?

as far as talk show hosts go sure they're ace, but i didn't think anybody actually laughed at the things they said. if you wanna laugh watch its always sunny, arrested dev, the office, etc, that's "ha ha" funny. otherwise it's just a matter of charisma and likability. and ratings say the older guy has more of it.

#21 pacifickarma   Master of Orion CAGiversary!   2302 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

pacifickarma

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:45 AM

Or he made a deal with Satan.

I'm pretty sure this is how Carson Daly became famous. Oh, and how Carson Daly has managed to date Tara Reid, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Christina Aguilera, Willa Ford, and Jaime Pressly

#22 Rei no Otaku   Rei's love CAGiversary!   10309 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Rei no Otaku

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:45 AM

do either of those fools actually make people laugh? like audible "ha ha" laugh?

I think Conan is hilarious. I always laugh out loud when watching his show.

Leno is Mr. Middle America.

Middle America sucks.

#23 Chibi_Kaji   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4753 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Chibi_Kaji

Posted 08 January 2010 - 01:53 AM

To be honest I always thought this whole thing was a dumb move. I mean Leon was doing great in the 11:30 time slot and I'll assume Conan was doing fine at 12:30.

#24 Shimrra   Alone on Vita island CAGiversary!   2835 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:00 AM

as far as talk show hosts go sure they're ace, but i didn't think anybody actually laughed at the things they said. if you wanna laugh watch its always sunny, arrested dev, the office, etc, that's "ha ha" funny. otherwise it's just a matter of charisma and likability. and ratings say the older guy has more of it.

How can you compare a Talk Show with a Comedy Show? Comedy shows, like you mentioned, are taped and edited if anything they can take days to weeks just to get the right laugh. If that doesnt work after they film a show if it doesn't hit the right laugh track they can have the people comeback and redo the scene.

A talk show is pretty much taped lived with little to no editing if anything you may have heard some shows say they are in a delay when it airs that so censors can do there thing. I have been fortunate enough to have been on a couple tapings of Conan and David Letterman show and I tell you it really depends who is on that night but I and the audience had a great time.

I will say this if this is true and Conan goes back to his spot I am glad cause he had to curb so much of his comedy who a different demographic.

#25 mykevermin   Queen of Scotland CAGiversary!   37011 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:05 AM

Leno is Mr. Middle America. Easy jokes, easy laughs. Seeing him interview dumbasses on the street, reading out typo headlines etc = comfort food for the brain.

Dead for 16 years and still more aware of the world today than damn near everyone else.

#26 Magus8472   The Sudden Stop CAGiversary!   1408 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Magus8472

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:34 AM

I preferred Conan in the old timeslot anyway. If true, I hope this means Jimmy Fallon gets tossed out on the street.

#27 IRHari   COME ON! CAGiversary!   3815 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:06 AM

"Hey Kev? What does NBC stand for?"
what jay?
"Never Believe your Contract!"

Jay's awesome, he can always poke fun at himself, ALWAYS.

#28 nateeasy29   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   615 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

nateeasy29

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:26 AM

NBC is denying this. I wouldn't believe everything TMZ says. And everyone knows Conan is awesome.

#29 Koggit   almost sorry CAGiversary!   3886 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:29 AM

"Hey Kev? What does NBC stand for?"
what jay?
"Never Believe your Contract!"

Jay's awesome, he can always poke fun at himself, ALWAYS.

Oh I get it, it's funny because he's doing some work with NBC that involves contracts, now I understand. Wow, that's a funny joke he told.

#30 WhipSmartBanky   Bring on the free hooch! CAGiversary!   15314 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

WhipSmartBanky

Posted 08 January 2010 - 03:33 AM

If it's true, it really stinks. Leno leaving the Tonight Show in favor of Conan was in the works for years, and if Leno didn't want out, he shouldn't have left. NBC would've lost Conan, but it looks like that's what's potentially going to happen anyway.

Ah well, I think Craig Ferguson is still the best of the late night talk show hosts anyway. His contract is up this year too, so things could get really interesting.