should i join the pc side?

zaff2000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
2 (100%)
I have been a console gamer and pc user since I was 8, but i always thought that a console was better than a pc at games and that pc gaming was dead. Well 7 years later I finally came to a realization that pc's were better at games than a console and I am thinking about selling my xbox 360 and start building my own gaming pc, but what I want to know is is it worth it.

My xbox 360 I have had about a year and 2 months. I have played less than 15 games on it. I have gold membership but it will expire in a few days and i hardly used it due to internet connection issues. I also have 2 games i bought online,currently have about 4000 microsoft points, and 3 songs i bought for rock band which is also currently the only game i have besides the ones on my HD.

So do you think it would be a good idea for me to do this? I would have to sell it to someone else other than Gamestop because they wouldn't care that i have 4000 Microsoft points and 2 games on my HD. I also hate paying 50 bucks a year for internet that I barely use, Please tell me what you think.

Have:
Case and power supply: http://www.bccpc.com/bccpc/888KHACW-SS_Des.htm - 20
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135250 - 37 (AR)

Want:
graphics card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814125277 - 64.99
ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148304 - 54.99
hard drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822136358 - 54.99

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been a console gamer since the original NES came out and a PC gamer since I was in college (early 90's), although I don't game much at all anymore on the PC.

My opinion at this point is that gaming on the consoles is a superior experience. I have several reasons:

1) I generally only play single player games, so I'm not interested in the MMORPG's that you will find on PC.
2) I don't usually play too many shooters, so I'm not interested in the potential advantages that the PC may have.
3) I don't ever like to worry about whether the PC is going to run the game. Do I have enough RAM? Fast enough CPU? Good enough video card? Drivers work? Copy protection issues? With a console, that is NEVER a problem. If the label matches, it runs.
4) I think that its more cost effective to game on a console. While games can be more expensive, in general for a console, the rest of the hardware is cheaper on a console. Even the most expensive of PS3's (at $600) is better than most gaming PC's needed to run new games.

A couple of good things for PC gaming is mods. I played the hell out of Oblivion on the 360, but hardly at all on the PC. As such, I missed out on a lot of great community created content.

Bottom line, while there are definitely reasons to support either one, the question is which is best for you? Do you want "ease of gaming" with a console, or some of the better features that PC games can offer?

Hope this helps.

TBW

[quote name='captainfrizo']Grammar and punctuation are your friends.[/QUOTE]

sorry i will edit it now

[quote name='TheBlueWizard']I've been a console gamer since the original NES came out and a PC gamer since I was in college (early 90's), although I don't game much at all anymore on the PC.

My opinion at this point is that gaming on the consoles is a superior experience. I have several reasons:

1) I generally only play single player games, so I'm not interested in the MMORPG's that you will find on PC.
2) I don't usually play too many shooters, so I'm not interested in the potential advantages that the PC may have.
3) I don't ever like to worry about whether the PC is going to run the game. Do I have enough RAM? Fast enough CPU? Good enough video card? Drivers work? Copy protection issues? With a console, that is NEVER a problem. If the label matches, it runs.
4) I think that its more cost effective to game on a console. While games can be more expensive, in general for a console, the rest of the hardware is cheaper on a console. Even the most expensive of PS3's (at $600) is better than most gaming PC's needed to run new games.

A couple of good things for PC gaming is mods. I played the hell out of Oblivion on the 360, but hardly at all on the PC. As such, I missed out on a lot of great community created content.

Bottom line, while there are definitely reasons to support either one, the question is which is best for you? Do you want "ease of gaming" with a console, or some of the better features that PC games can offer?

Hope this helps.

TBW[/QUOTE]

Well that is one of the things i dont like about video game systems. The games all cost way too much although i do normally wait about 4 months to get it cheaper used. I am not interested in mmorpg's like WOW,but i am interested in racing,shooter,and action adventure games. I also do like to play multiplayer but because i don't want to spend $100.00 for a adapter for my xbox 360 and i can't bridge it by connecting it to a pc due to where the systems sit.

[quote name='zaff2000']sorry i will edit it now

Well that is one of the things i dont like about video game systems. The games all cost way too much although i do normally wait about 4 months to get it cheaper used. I am not interested in mmorpg's like WOW,but i am interested in racing,shooter,and action adventure games. I also do like to play multiplayer but because i don't want to spend $100.00 for a adapter for my xbox 360 and i can't bridge it by connecting it to a pc due to where the systems sit.[/QUOTE]

So what's the main issue? Price? Sure, you can find PC games for cheap, but you can also find console games for cheap. You can't trade in PC games at your local Trade in store or whatever, so some might think PC gaming is riskier and more expensive.

Game genres? PC has racing games that play well, shooters (especially fps) will generally play and feel better than the consoles, and action adventure you'll be better off on consoles.

If you have to ask, no. I'm only kidding, kind of.

If you buy a lot of software you will save money over time IMO. You can upgrade without replacing the entire machine. If something breaks you don't have to purchase an entirely new PC. Steam, Impulse, GOG, etc.

The downside is a limited sports game choice, and a limited choice in the musical instrument genre.

Well I am building a pc one way or the other but i am trying to determine wheter to build a gaming pc or just a regular pc.

Well as long as you have money, $400 - $500, should allow you to build a decent gaming system to play the latest games.

I won't be able to give you any unbiased opinions, since I'm very much a PC gamer (though I have all 3 latest gen systems). I only use my PS3 to watch blu-ray movies, and my 360 and Wii are collecting dust at the moment.

Another reason to join PC. Spell check!

When you start using PC games, you kinda have to admit to being a mature gamer because you have to commit time to maintaining your comp. Also, if you spend the time, you can find great gems at very reasonable prices (i.e. Steam sale) that will last you months. PC games prices depreciate very fast compared to console also. Racing is the only genre you mentioned that may be easier out of the box on a console, but you can always get a xbox controller for the PC. To me, shooters are superior on the PC for the tactile movement of a reticle with a mouse, except you need to make sure your hardware can handle what you want to play. Adventure games run on much lower system requirements so don't worry about those. I have all the consoles also and hardly use them except exclusives.

I'm a big player on both Console and PC but for the longest time I was only console. Way back when I was younger I stuck to console games because a computer just didn't really interest me.

Their is many differences in the both and while I have a nice gaming rig I still love my xbox. With my PC i play TF2, torchlight, Some MMOs here and their(started WoW first time in my lf yesterday lmao) Dragon Age Origins and other games. On my Xbox though I play Borderlands, MW2, and exclusive titles. I'm also sitting on 4000 m$ points but nothing really interests me on the arcade games.

I like the xbox cuz 1. no upgrading which is kinda a saver for money and its very simple(or use to be, now theirs twitter facebook and last fm). It keeps your friends in a list you know what their playing, get in chat easy join games, rent movies with ease and stream them. Stream from your PC and all that while you are on a couch or in your bed. Thats why i love my Xbox, I also love my pc cuz my games look damn good on my monitor compared to my regular TV. You can do a lot of what I said above with stuff like Steam and Windows media player or zune watever you watch movies on but usually you tend to be at a desk(me anyways)

Really its just a matter of preference. If I was you i'd definitely keep and up keep the xbox 360 for the games that don't go to PC but definitely get a PC for its gaming community. Modding is always fun as well!!!!

I actually just posted something along this topic on another forum.

Consoles games died for when the Dreamcast went down. With that said I been playing PC games since the Amiga. Here is a little bit of what I posted elsewhere...

[quote name='Megazell']I hear you.

I hit that crossroad years ago. In the end I went with where I was better supported as a gamer.

I was a all system player - PC, Playstation and Dreamcast...Then the same thing happened that I got tired of. Console makers abandoned one product and service for a newer one leaving customers with nothing but dead weight.

Meanwhile on the PC...when makers were leaving a game they would AT LEAST leave the customers with the ability to make their own DEDICATED servers and/or modify their game (map tools, model tools and SDK).

Yeah I want to play the new games but why do I HAVE to stop playing my old ones?

I play for fun and to spend time with family and friends that are not in my area to easily visit.

So I went full PC ever since and never looked back. Yeah I will run Crysis and play it but every now and then I can boot up Quake and run a match with an uncle, cousin, old college friends and new players and have blast.

Can't do the same with console...when they abandoned a game...you are simply fucked...then fans rationalize it...well I got my time out of it...When PS3 came out I thought they would be BC (backward compatible), as advertised, and allow ppl to enjoy a game like Vigilante 8 but online...right there..I would buy something like that...then they turn around and give a direct fuck you to all of their customers and be like fuck BC...we not doing it anymore...fuck out of here!...Now they bring it back but going to charge?...[/QUOTE]

With all that said...PC gaming is cheaper also...well at least of me it is. I never go over $400 for a PC. I use always buy (when I use...I stopped buying games years ago) on the cheap.

When ppl say consoles are easier...they must have never had an issue with console gaming as of late...which I find hard to believe...On many of the boards that I frequent and with rl friends that have it...I have see hardware failures, software errors, glitches, lag and overall more time commitment by the player to get games working correctly...unlike previous console generations.

Bottom line with PC...you pay less and get more...With console you pay more and get less.

While you are deciding that check out my Free and Legal PC gaming thread

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244468

I wanted to add this...you can play your PC anyway you want to.

I just had company over and one of them was a console head...he left shaking his head and with a list of site to read up.

I have 8 machines @ my home...each under $400 a pop (kids, wives and media center).

In my living is a media PC with games on them...all of the games are multiplayer...either online or direct play. I have 4 wireless USBs controllers (each under $10 new). All connected to a projector.

We played Mugen - 4 player battle, SHUMPs, SF IV and some other stuff.

With PC I have a choice and I can do what I like.

The reasons I got back to PC gaming this year were this:

1) I had the money ( I just graduated from college and was hired at a fortune 500 company's finance dept). PC gaming is more expensive than console. The rig that I built was about $2500. But I love it to death, and I am just waiting for better 5970 availability so I can spend another $600. And once SSD's go to $3 per GB... buy buy buy!

2) I really wanted a better first person shooter experience that what I was getting on my PS3. I wanted the community that came with dedicated servers. I remembered playing Counter Strike and BF 1942 back in high school and early college and playing on the same dedicated servers all the time. Everybody knew each other and would be respectful. It was like having a local bar to go to every night. And I've found a CS:Source server that is like that "Can't Stop Gaming" is its name

3) Aside from the community I wanted to play COD:4 single player with a proper mouse and keyboard.

4) Oblivion mods. Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul is one of the greatest things in gaming.

5) Starcraft II. I loved playing the original even though I sucked. I really can't wait for the next.

6) Diablo III. And right now I am playing awesome torchlight.

7) Not particularly related to gaming but, I wanted to contribute more to folding@home than what my PS3 was currently doing.

8) Fallout 3. I haven't actually bought it, but again I anticipate some great mods.

9) I am a graphics slut.:D

Right now more than 6 months after I got back into playing PC. I am very satisfied. Every multiplatform game that will be coming out I will be getting for my PC. I bought a 360 wired controller to plug into my rig. Aside from Heavy Rain and God of War III, I will be playing on this PC all year long.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was a PC gamer (initially an Apple II gamer) until I went to graduate school. About 3 years in I got an XBOX 360 when Halo 3 came out (still my favourite console game). In July I built myself a cheap gaming rig (about $600).

To me the main reason for the switch was feeling that if I am spending time playing, I should enjoy advance tech. The current gen of consoles has been produced 5+ years ago (since there's a long QA cycle before release), and hasn't really changed since. Most netbooks are likely stronger than your 360 by now.

I started feeling at some point that the 360 wasn't matching what I expected visually. I work at 1920x1200 all day, so when I want to play a game I like that resolution. The resolution of most games on the 360 is a very badly upscaled 1080p with little visual polish. Sitting close to a 26" monitor that I use for working is about equivalent to sitting on my couch and watching my 46" TV. So far most games that I played gave me a decent frame rate on max res if I disabled some graphic features that aren't even in 360 games.

I also got the PC in anticipation of games like starcraft 2, Diablo III, etc. And there's a bunch of older games I never got to play like Civ. These just don't have console equivalents.

So I would say that you might enjoy PC gaming more (and have more options for cheaper games, though you can't sell games once you buy them). HOWEVER, you will likely not be able to build any decent machine just from selling your 360.

Another problem is that if you build your own machine (like me), you have to get windows somehow. Some colleges sell it for really cheap. I'm not sure what I'll do once my win 7 trial version dies. I don't want to invest in the OEM since I expect to upgrade CPU and motherboard within a year.

The console fanboys will always think that their console system is cheaper, more stable, more versatile, has better games, invented the multiplayer genre, etc. That is okay. Just let them continue to think that.

Never try to educate a close-minded console fanboy. It will only frustrate you and annoy the fanboy.

[quote name='uricmu']I was a PC gamer (initially an Apple II gamer) until I went to graduate school. About 3 years in I got an XBOX 360 when Halo 3 came out (still my favourite console game). In July I built myself a cheap gaming rig (about $600).

To me the main reason for the switch was feeling that if I am spending time playing, I should enjoy advance tech. The current gen of consoles has been produced 5+ years ago (since there's a long QA cycle before release), and hasn't really changed since. Most netbooks are likely stronger than your 360 by now.

I started feeling at some point that the 360 wasn't matching what I expected visually. I work at 1920x1200 all day, so when I want to play a game I like that resolution. The resolution of most games on the 360 is a very badly upscaled 1080p with little visual polish. Sitting close to a 26" monitor that I use for working is about equivalent to sitting on my couch and watching my 46" TV. So far most games that I played gave me a decent frame rate on max res if I disabled some graphic features that aren't even in 360 games.

I also got the PC in anticipation of games like starcraft 2, Diablo III, etc. And there's a bunch of older games I never got to play like Civ. These just don't have console equivalents.

So I would say that you might enjoy PC gaming more (and have more options for cheaper games, though you can't sell games once you buy them). HOWEVER, you will likely not be able to build any decent machine just from selling your 360.

Another problem is that if you build your own machine (like me), you have to get windows somehow. Some colleges sell it for really cheap. I'm not sure what I'll do once my win 7 trial version dies. I don't want to invest in the OEM since I expect to upgrade CPU and motherboard within a year.[/QUOTE]

There are few ways to get it cheap or free.

1) Write a letter to Microsoft requesting a fee wavier for them.

Believe it or not. I got a copy of XP home this way.

2) Some 2nd book stores like Strand in NYC have a copy of Windows for cheap btw $32 to $40...the serial maybe used but that's easy to solve by calling customer support.

3) Don't use windows and get up and running with Linux.

I have a dual built system of Windows XP (Gamer Edits) and Linux Unbuntu 9.10.

Yes more games are made for Windows but there are a great amount of games that are made for Linux.

My sig points to a list of free and legal games some of which are Mac and Linux ready.

[quote name='Bullbert']The console fanboys will always think that their console system is cheaper, more stable, more versatile, has better games, invented the multiplayer genre, etc. That is okay. Just let them continue to think that.

Never try to educate a close-minded console fanboy. It will only frustrate you and annoy the fanboy.[/QUOTE]

It's sad but true.

I actually get a kick at inviting them to LAN parties or to my home and playing games from the couch with my projector...when they start throwing questions out and start shaking their heads in disbelief...the mind breaking process has begun.

"Not scaring away potential PC gamers" is your friend.

I been a PC games since July of last year (since I built it), and I would not go back to consoles. I mean sure I would buy a PS3 or 360 if I had money to blow for that one non PC game, but I buy all my games PC. Here are my reasons.

-Usually faster and better on PC (unless the dev is a lazy fucker)

-Mods (this is huge, especially with games that release the sdk and mod tools)

-Cheaper Prices

-Classic Games (I can still buy Deus Ex even though it is almost 10 years old now and I still have fun with it. You can get many classic games nowadays for cheap or in a huge ass collection like on steam).

-Fast PC as a bonus. You never know when that one application that needs a crapload of computing power will come. Hell with my machine I can have a web browser, music, messanger, and a windowed game going with no problems at the same time.

-Controls (Mouse and Keyboard or you can buy a controller, it's your choice for a lot of games)

[quote name='Megazell']It's sad but true.

I actually get a kick at inviting them to LAN parties or to my home and playing games from the couch with my projector...when they start throwing questions out and start shaking their heads in disbelief...the mind breaking process has begun.[/QUOTE]

god i dont even recall the last lan party i been too. the last lan party i was invited to they were all using xbox 360's :(

[quote name='Animefalcon']god i dont even recall the last lan party i been too. the last lan party i was invited to they were all using xbox 360's :([/QUOTE]

NYC has a lot of LAN centers. I go to the one at NYU and City College.

A lot of console player get outright pissed off when I bring my rigs around...they be like

Console: How much that cost? $2,500...
Megazell: Nah, about $279...after rebates and stuff about $188...
Console: ...
Megazell: Lift my keyboard.
Console: What?
Megazell: Lift my keyboad.
*console player lifts my keyboard...takes a slide out*
Console: What's this?
Megazell: Read it.
Console: ...Is this a receipt?
Megazell: A list of them...yes...
Consoles: fuck? You paid...Man, fuck PC....
Megazell: U MAD LOL!?
*console player storm off*

LOL :)

Right now L4D, L4D 2, TFC, Starcraft, Nexuiz, CnC: Generals and UT2k4 are all the games LANs are rocking as of late.

Last edited:
lol Do you keep all your reciepts under your keyboard to torture the console fanboys?
Well i was wanting to build a pc in the first place and i am just about sold on the idea,but i still am wondering if i would have enough money after selling the 360 and accesories. Megazell can you tell me what you have on your pc and how much you paid for each part?

[quote name='zaff2000']lol Do you keep all your reciepts under your keyboard to torture the console fanboys?
Well i was wanting to build a pc in the first place and i am just about sold on the idea,but i still am wondering if i would have enough money after selling the 360 and accesories. Megazell can you tell me what you have on your pc and how much you paid for each part?[/QUOTE]

I keep the receipt to all of my electronics taped under each item. It's for reminder when warranties run out. Also for insurance purposes.

I think I posted this somewhere else on this forum.

All of my systems have No DVD/CD/Floppy. I install by USB or download.

I will find the post because retyping all of it is a nuisance and I am in the middle of updating the Free and Legal PC Gaming list.

www.pricewatch.com is your friend, also see what your bank offers in terms of rewards...I use the coupons they give out at the bank and other offers all the time www.thankyou.com for Citibank. PC Gamer and PC Format magazine have coupons and offers inside their mags and on their sites...also some of the members here have gotten their stuff for cheaper also check out the upgrade link stickies above here.

[quote name='Megazell']I keep the receipt to all of my electronics taped under each item. It's for reminder when warranties run out. Also for insurance purposes.

I think I posted this somewhere else on this forum.

All of my systems have No DVD/CD/Floppy. I install by USB or download.

I will find the post because retyping all of it is a nuisance and I am in the middle of updating the Free and Legal PC Gaming list.

www.pricewatch.com is your friend, also see what your bank offers in terms of rewards...I use the coupons they give out at the bank and other offers all the time www.thankyou.com for Citibank. PC Gamer and PC Format magazine have coupons and offers inside their mags and on their sites...also some of the members here have gotten their stuff for cheaper also check out the upgrade link stickies above here.[/QUOTE]

I would love to see what a $278 PC has inside, please list.

Doesn't Windows alone cost $100? And do you keep it in a cardboard box?

I think i have made up my mind. Instead of me just jumping out and selling my 360 and buying pc components, I will just hang on to my 360 for games right now and start buying bit by bit for my pc,but I can almost guarantee you that when they announce the next generation of consoles ill pack my 360 up and sell it to buy stuff for my pc.

[quote name='Actionhank']I would love to see what a $278 PC has inside, please list.

Doesn't Windows alone cost $100? And do you keep it in a cardboard box?[/QUOTE]

According to one of his posts, he has ~ 8 machines at his home. You don't get that without accumulating a number of parts. Wouldn't surprise me if he has case/monitor/keyboard/mouse already taken care of.

Windows can be found for much, much less than $100. When I was building my PC, I got a copy of XP for only $15 through my work. When Win7 came out, I was able to snag that for $30. I have a friend who can legally get me some for free through MSDN. If you have the right connections, your OS is cheap.

Since he's using a USB dvd drive for everything, he doesn't need one of those.

With some good comparison shopping, it wouldn't be too hard at all to get the remainder for under 300.

[quote name='zaff2000']I think i have made up my mind. Instead of me just jumping out and selling my 360 and buying pc components, I will just hang on to my 360 for games right now and start buying bit by bit for my pc,but I can almost guarantee you that when they announce the next generation of consoles ill pack my 360 up and sell it to buy stuff for my pc.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't recommend buying it bit by bit. Depending on how long it takes you to buy things, the first thing you buy could need replaced by the time you've saved up enough. It's probably a better idea to set a goal for the amount of money you want to spend on a PC, save up to that much, and then buy stuff.

[quote name='Actionhank']I would love to see what a $278 PC has inside, please list.

Doesn't Windows alone cost $100? And do you keep it in a cardboard box?[/QUOTE]

This is my case.
24gm4ya.jpg

[quote name='Megazell']My main desktop is the following.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X3 720
MB: MSI DKA790GX
RAM: Kingston HyperX 4GB
Videocard: HIS Radeon 4870 512MB
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 500 Black x 4
PSU: Rosewill RP550V2-S-SL
Case: Antec Skeleton PC Case
OS: Windows XP Professional SP 3 (Gamer Edits) and Ubuntu 9.10 (Gamer Edits)

NO DVD Drive, NO CD-ROM - I do everything via USB or download.

Total cost after rebates and coupons: $188.93

The living room machine is identical except for the case and hard drives.

Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar 500 Black x 6
Case: Antec 900

Total cost after rebates and coupons: $273.43

The rest are Laptops and Netbooks with an old ass Amiga machine in my closet for show at this point :)[/QUOTE]

CPU: $75 with $40 rebate from Staples
MB: $75 with $35 rebate from Staples
RAM: $37 Lehman College Computer Show
Videocard: $32 Lehman College Computer Show - Inside mail in rebate for $15
Hard Drive:**I got these in bulk with friends - I built a few PCs for a friend and got 5 free the rest I paid $48 for but for this PC all 4 were free.
PSU: $30 from Newegg
Case:$30 Lehman College Computer Show
OS: Windows XP Profressional SP 3 legal copy from a friend a few X-Mas ago - Ubuntu is legally free online.

I earned a mess of ThankYou points too :)

I use a old epson projector for when I play games...all the lights off...Can't beat projectors IMO...I do have a lot of parts and a few monitors.

[quote name='Salamando3000']According to one of his posts, he has ~ 8 machines at his home. You don't get that without accumulating a number of parts. Wouldn't surprise me if he has case/monitor/keyboard/mouse already taken care of.

Windows can be found for much, much less than $100. When I was building my PC, I got a copy of XP for only $15 through my work. When Win7 came out, I was able to snag that for $30. I have a friend who can legally get me some for free through MSDN. If you have the right connections, your OS is cheap.

[/QUOTE]

That $30 dollar windows 7 you're talking about that's the one for college students right? I saw that and almost bit, but then decided to just buy retail so I can upgrade my mobo multiple times (my vista copy is OEM).

[quote name='Megazell']This is my case.
24gm4ya.jpg

CPU: $75 with $40 rebate from Staples
MB: $75 with $35 rebate from Staples
RAM: $37 Lehman College Computer Show
Videocard: $32 Lehman College Computer Show - Inside mail in rebate for $15
Hard Drive:**I got these in bulk with friends - I built a few PCs for a friend and got 5 free the rest I paid $48 for but for this PC all 4 were free.
PSU: $30 from Newegg
Case:$30 Lehman College Computer Show
OS: Windows XP Profressional SP 3 legal copy from a friend a few X-Mas ago - Ubuntu is legally free online.

I earned a mess of ThankYou points too :)

I use a old epson projector for when I play games...all the lights off...Can't beat projectors IMO...I do have a lot of parts and a few monitors.[/QUOTE]

You sir are a true CAGer:applause: I salute you. I didn't even know Staples sells PC parts. I just go to Walmart for my office supplies.

Ubuntu is free but only the most hardcore will be able to figure out how to game on it. I would just pay the $100 then spending days trying to figure out something like Mass Effect on WINE, if that's even possible.

Very nice case by the way. I wanted it before, but I realized it will probably fry my girlfriend's cat.

[quote name='CheapLikeAFox']I need to find Lehman College :)[/QUOTE]

Computer Shows are great to get deals.

I go everyday but I usually don't buy until the last day or there is a super freaking deal that I would be foolish to say no to.

Now...you have to turn into a predator. I look for the guys with bulk that look like they really don't want to bring that stuff back to the home/storage/store.

I strike up a conversation with them...by this time I have already checked out prices online...I either bring them out or have them ready to show on my Netbook.

I then engage in my haggle. If they will not match the online price or go lower...I keep it moving...9/10...they sell because they can not afford the storage.

I bring a test board PC in a friends care with me a test all parts in the parking lot or if someone I know is in the EE labs...I head up there.

Buy now everyone knows me so they know my game...they also know that I will buy for other people so they don't mind selling to me low because I may pick up more then 4 pieces of what I am after.

[quote name='Actionhank']You sir are a true CAGer:applause: I salute you. I didn't even know Staples sells PC parts. I just go to Walmart for my office supplies.

Ubuntu is free but only the most hardcore will be able to figure out how to game on it. I would just pay the $100 then spending days trying to figure out something like Mass Effect on WINE, if that's even possible.

Very nice case by the way. I wanted it before, but I realized it will probably fry my girlfriend's cat.[/QUOTE]

You know I felt the same way about Linux but then PC Format had a issue on a 1 gig Linux installation that could be done by USB just for practice with the OS.

I messed with it on and off over the course of summer and then decided to go dual boot. I followed their guide to the letter and to this day I still go back to it.

Add to that that almost all Linux games are free and legal and you have more incentive to start learning :)

[quote name='Actionhank']That $30 dollar windows 7 you're talking about that's the one for college students right? I saw that and almost bit, but then decided to just buy retail so I can upgrade my mobo multiple times (my vista copy is OEM).[/QUOTE]

You really should've bit then. If you called up to order, you could snag the same, full-version, non-just-an-update version of Win7 Pro that retail stores currently charge ~250 for only 30.

[quote name='Megazell']You know I felt the same way about Linux but then PC Format had a issue on a 1 gig Linux installation that could be done by USB just for practice with the OS.

I messed with it on and off over the course of summer and then decided to go dual boot. I followed their guide to the letter and to this day I still go back to it.

Add to that that almost all Linux games are free and legal and you have more incentive to start learning :)[/QUOTE]

I use Linux. Thats what I run my dedicated folding@home rig on. Although, I haven't given much thought to the free games on it.

[quote name='Salamando3000']You really should've bit then. If you called up to order, you could snag the same, full-version, non-just-an-update version of Win7 Pro that retail stores currently charge ~250 for only 30.[/QUOTE]

Really?! mother fucker!

I'm saluting Megazell for being a true PC enthusiast. I don't think anyone in the PC forum supports personal computing as much as this person right here. Only makes me feel that much more proud to know there are still some gamers out there that love PC gaming as much as I do.

Your convo with that console gamer you quoted above had me rolling!

I live in Queens and would love to know where I can visit some of these LAN centers in any of the 5 boroughs?

It's funny, but I spent close to $2500 and built my own gaming/work rig and I don't regret one cent I spent on it.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']I'm saluting Megazell for being a true PC enthusiast. I don't think anyone in the PC forum supports personal computing as much as this person right here. Only makes me feel that much more proud to know there are still some gamers out there that love PC gaming as much as I do.

Your convo with that console gamer you quoted above had me rolling!

I live in Queens and would love to know where I can visit some of these LAN centers in any of the 5 boroughs?

It's funny, but I spent close to $2500 and built my own gaming/work rig and I don't regret one cent I spent on it.[/QUOTE]

There are few spots. First try your local colleges. They probably have a gaming group and they will have some PC players there that setup LANs...some of them use to test their knowledge and sometimes show case a game or mod they are working on.

I forget the location exactly but the Devry off the 7 train in Queens has a PC Gaming Group that is hard core...They still run HL matches weekly.

Kings Games in Brooklyn - http://www.kingsgames.com/

Great spot. You have to pick the right day though. They have a calender and support table top gaming mostly...but there are 5 resident guys and 2 girls that run a L4D and UT2k4 Lan party monthly.

In Chinatown...HURRICANE...that is the last great arcade/lan party spots. Starcraft, Counter-Strike and WOW...ONLY...which can be a burn if you don't play any of those games but that place is PACKED DAILY. The competition there is serious. They have money games going under the table but there a few that just want to play for fun.

NYU Computer Interest Society is a strong group..I am part of that one. We meet in different places in NYC depending on the tourney pay out.

In The Bronx - 145th Street corner of Saint Ann's - St. Mary's Computer Center has LAN parties every day after school from 3:30 PM EST to 7:30 PM EST - Mostly for younger kids but if you want to volunteer...you can run some of the gaming events. That's what I do.

City College - 137th corner of Broadway - Has a group of PC Gamers that play everything but I have yet to meet them. I should be hooking up with them next month.

Lehman College Gaming Group. First Thursday of the month. It's brutal there because I beat most of the competition with the exception of 2 ppl. We play SF IV and Mugen mostly.

Last but not least...The No Man's Zone....

www.2600.org - A few of the readers/editors and contributors get together monthly at random locations but always by phone booths to share tech/software ideas and game. This is my favorite group. Friendly ppl with heads on their shoulders.

Yeah, I think Megazell is the true CAG PC gaming messiah, bringing much needed life in the PC section of this forum.

As for my take on the PC gaming, I would have to say that first, I am a gamer, and I do not discriminate between old gen and next gen consoles, and between the trifecta of home PCs (Apple, MS, or Linux). As it currently stands, I have 2 Xboxes, with hopes for one becoming my dream "emu-gaming" machine, a soon to be proud owner of a sega 32x system, a 2nd gen ps1, and all of the current gen consoles and handhelds, on top of an iMac (though technically the future wife's, but we won't tell her that I've been dicking around with it, kay?), an off-the-shelf-turned-gaming-pc, and a laptop. And yes, I game(d) on everyone single one of them.

That being said, with a 12 year old ward living with us, of which is currently glued to my copy of Modern Warfare 2 for the ps3, I've been busy reacquainting myself with my Acer with its newly installed ATI 4850HD. I picked up a handful of games from the Steam holiday sale, picking up half a dozen games, all for under 20 bucks. Not to mention, I enjoy the occasional Table-top gaming sessions with my college buddies every now and then, or whenever I find myself going to the local cons (BTW, I'll be finding myself in Megacon 2010 with the future wife... hopefully).

I'm not trying to become the alpha geek by listing all the pretty toys that I own, and I won't go into detail on how much I'm drowning on credit card debts because of my little "addiction", but I do see the boon for all aspects of the hobby. And even though I can't call myself a true CAG, I can consider myself a true apprentice of the trade. Yeah, I tend to play the occasional "my console is better than your console" debate, just for shits and gigs, and usually over something alcoholic, but I can't be too serious for one side or the other.

So in short, A true gamer will game on anything: pc, console, table-top, or otherwise; I'm steeped in credit card debt, and Megazell is the gaming-Jesus.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Yeah, I think Megazell is the true CAG PC gaming messiah, bringing much needed life in the PC section of this forum.

As for my take on the PC gaming, I would have to say that first, I am a gamer, and I do not discriminate between old gen and next gen consoles, and between the trifecta of home PCs (Apple, MS, or Linux). As it currently stands, I have 2 Xboxes, with hopes for one becoming my dream "emu-gaming" machine, a soon to be proud owner of a sega 32x system, a 2nd gen ps1, and all of the current gen consoles and handhelds, on top of an iMac (though technically the future wife's, but we won't tell her that I've been dicking around with it, kay?), an off-the-shelf-turned-gaming-pc, and a laptop. And yes, I game(d) on everyone single one of them.

That being said, with a 12 year old ward living with us, of which is currently glued to my copy of Modern Warfare 2 for the ps3, I've been busy reacquainting myself with my Acer with its newly installed ATI 4850HD. I picked up a handful of games from the Steam holiday sale, picking up half a dozen games, all for under 20 bucks. Not to mention, I enjoy the occasional Table-top gaming sessions with my college buddies every now and then, or whenever I find myself going to the local cons (BTW, I'll be finding myself in Megacon 2010 with the future wife... hopefully).

I'm not trying to become the alpha geek by listing all the pretty toys that I own, and I won't go into detail on how much I'm drowning on credit card debts because of my little "addiction", but I do see the boon for all aspects of the hobby. And even though I can't call myself a true CAG, I can consider myself a true apprentice of the trade. Yeah, I tend to play the occasional "my console is better than your console" debate, just for shits and gigs, and usually over something alcoholic, but I can't be too serious for one side or the other.

So in short, A true gamer will game on anything: pc, console, table-top, or otherwise; I'm steeped in credit card debt, and Megazell is the gaming-Jesus.[/QUOTE]

LOL. Ty - I think :)

Every now and then I try a console game...but the problem for me is that either they are too easy or too repetitive.

For example, a younger cousin of mine was playing Devil May Cry 4 (not sure he was fighting a horse on fire) and was dying left and right. I never played and he gave me the controller because I was laughing at him. I played for about 34 mins...and I beat it up on until the point where he took the controller from me and told me to go away...I did not understand how he could be dying in it...seemed simple...yet everyone swears it is a hard game.

I played SF IV when it came out on the consoles with some family on their consoles...Now I am not allowed to play at all because 'Zell fucking cheeses'. I'm rocking it now on the PC...and it's OK...not a bad game but the challenge factor is really missing.

I dropped consoles right after Dreamcast during the PS2 craze...the games stop being hard for me and the price for a game was getting 'retarded.'

If I am going to pay over $20 for a game...It has to be a serious challenge.

I think outside of indie game makers those days of challenging games are over.

I love to harass the console players...in fact, in some of the LAN parties we have some console players.

The minute something happens like they lag out, notice a glitch or sometype of hardware failure...they look around to make sure I did not see it...Yes, I have gotten that bad. Even, my kids get involved LOL

*X-Box 360 goes RROD during MW2 gaming session at the Starcraft section of Hurricane*
Console Player: fuck! fuck! fuck!
Console Player 2: SHHH, dude, Zell will hear you...unplug it and let's get out of here.
Zell's Kid: It's too late.
Console Player: Who is that?
Console Player 2: Man, that's his kid....man, you are so loud.
Megazell: What's up, dude? You know you got to be cool with the cussing...we have kids here.
Console Player: My bad. I got pwned in a match...we heading out.
Megazell: What's that smell?
Console Player: What smell?
*Megazell tells his kid to go with the other kids and keep playing Fusion Fall...his kid shakes his head at the console player.*
Megazell: It's smells like burnt money and wires.
Console Player: Come on, man. I don't need this now.
Megazell: Hold up, were you not the same cat that was making fun of Jacob when his video card when out during the L4D tourney...
Console Player: My bad, I had a bad d...
Megazell: EVERYONE WE HAVE A CODE RED...QUICK THROW SOME CASH IN THIS GENERAL AREA OF THE ROOM....RROD! RROD! I need cash, STAT!
*room roars into laughter*
Console Player: ...
Megazell: Don't worry you can get a new one M$ renewed the terms so you can a new one.
Console Player: Yeah but this one is used and I modified it....
Megazell: LOL Consoles LOL!
*they both run out*

Next time I saw this cat he spent another $450 bucks for a new X-Box and games...He was eating all of the PC gamers food though. I had to slap his hands and tell him to call Microsoft if he wanted some more food.

Ugh, my first 360 RROD on me not so long ago. It did smell like burnt wires and money.

I think I was more furious on how I couldn't offload my save files, unless I wanted to shell out for the MS tax of getting a "transfer cable", or hunt down the elusive and unused 360 memory cards, $30-40 for a 512mb stick... fuck that closed system. Don't worry though, the replacement shouldn't RROD on me, seeing as that it has a fine layer of dust on it....

If anything, I like how the 1st gen PS3 is atleast somewhat open, allowing you to back up games to a standard flash drive. You could even install a powerPC install of Linux, and be on your way. I'm not going to start a console war now, since that would detract more from the OP.

Anyways, easy or not, console games are getting the latest and greatest nowadays, and a lot of times the major developers are looking at PC gaming as the cash cow that turned sour. Keep in mind that I like spending money on the latest and greatest, even to the detriment to my wallet. And, in my circle atleast, I could only play with others if I play the same games as them, of which are all in the console.

I miss the days where I could phone my buddy to give him the IP address of a dedicated q3 server, and jumping to AIM to fire off a list of message to my entire buddy list for some good-old round of TDM. Hell, I miss the idea of dragging my first desktop to my friend's house, and playing UT2k4 from 8pm to 8am. But, there's nothing wrong with jumping on the PSN, and doing the same to invite my college buddies on a night of frantic T/DM on Modern Warfare 2. Still fun as hell trash talking with a guy 100 miles away and a friend 100 feet away.

[quote name='rumarudrathas']Ugh, my first 360 RROD on me not so long ago. It did smell like burnt wires and money.

I think I was more furious on how I couldn't offload my save files, unless I wanted to shell out for the MS tax of getting a "transfer cable", or hunt down the elusive and unused 360 memory cards, $30-40 for a 512mb stick... fuck that closed system. Don't worry though, the replacement shouldn't RROD on me, seeing as that it has a fine layer of dust on it....

If anything, I like how the 1st gen PS3 is atleast somewhat open, allowing you to back up games to a standard flash drive. You could even install a powerPC install of Linux, and be on your way. I'm not going to start a console war now, since that would detract more from the OP.

Anyways, easy or not, console games are getting the latest and greatest nowadays, and a lot of times the major developers are looking at PC gaming as the cash cow that turned sour. Keep in mind that I like spending money on the latest and greatest, even to the detriment to my wallet. And, in my circle atleast, I could only play with others if I play the same games as them, of which are all in the console.

I miss the days where I could phone my buddy to give him the IP address of a dedicated q3 server, and jumping to AIM to fire off a list of message to my entire buddy list for some good-old round of TDM. Hell, I miss the idea of dragging my first desktop to my friend's house, and playing UT2k4 from 8pm to 8am. But, there's nothing wrong with jumping on the PSN, and doing the same to invite my college buddies on a night of frantic T/DM on Modern Warfare 2. Still fun as hell trash talking with a guy 100 miles away and a friend 100 feet away.[/QUOTE]

It's cool. I don't think this conversation will be distracting from the OP. I am sure he/she is coming across the same topics.

Out of my close friends (non-family) that game which is about 9 of us. 2 are still on consoles. The rest are PC gamers and/or table top gamers.

I actually don't mind that more commercial developers are on console than PC. It think the ones that stay are those that really like/enjoy the platform and in the end will cater more to the niche's need.

I also think it's in the consumers benefit that it is that way...our games become more affordable and our communities get more support.

I enjoy the fact that 5 years ago I spent 20 bucks and to this day I can still dl new maps, mods, models and/or mutators for a game I still find fun.

They way I spend my income for non-needs is very streamlined. So games will always be under a certain budget. I remember when I came out of college and landed a great job...a lot of friends where like 'Now, that you make this much...you can buy this and and that and we can play..." I had to stop them right there...I don't care if I am king of the world, non-needs stay this low. I know it was a shock for them because they had plans on getting super rigs and play the latest and greatest. I just always found a way to do it with less otherwise it just won't be done.

Consoles could have stayed good for me if they had treated the customers better but with the growing drop rate of support for older titles and the increase of game prices vs longevity it was inevitable that I was going to go back to being pure PC.

I had a great time on PSX and Dreamcast though. After that, not so much.

[quote name='Megazell']*X-Box 360 goes RROD during MW2 gaming session at the Starcraft section of Hurricane*
Console Player: fuck! fuck! fuck!
Console Player 2: SHHH, dude, Zell will hear you...unplug it and let's get out of here.
Zell's Kid: It's too late.
Console Player: Who is that?
Console Player 2: Man, that's his kid....man, you are so loud.
Megazell: What's up, dude? You know you got to be cool with the cussing...we have kids here.
Console Player: My bad. I got pwned in a match...we heading out.
Megazell: What's that smell?
Console Player: What smell?
*Megazell tells his kid to go with the other kids and keep playing Fusion Fall...his kid shakes his head at the console player.*
Megazell: It's smells like burnt money and wires.
Console Player: Come on, man. I don't need this now.
Megazell: Hold up, were you not the same cat that was making fun of Jacob when his video card when out during the L4D tourney...
Console Player: My bad, I had a bad d...
Megazell: EVERYONE WE HAVE A CODE RED...QUICK THROW SOME CASH IN THIS GENERAL AREA OF THE ROOM....RROD! RROD! I need cash, STAT!
*room roars into laughter*
Console Player: ...
Megazell: Don't worry you can get a new one M$ renewed the terms so you can a new one.
Console Player: Yeah but this one is used and I modified it....
Megazell: LOL Consoles LOL!
*they both run out*

Next time I saw this cat he spent another $450 bucks for a new X-Box and games...He was eating all of the PC gamers food though. I had to slap his hands and tell him to call Microsoft if he wanted some more food.[/QUOTE]

no offense man, but.. you're proud of that? i mean, it makes you seem like kind of a jerk...

[quote name='Koggit']no offense man, but.. you're proud of that? i mean, it makes you seem like kind of a jerk...[/QUOTE]

It's playful banter.

As far as the food is concerned the console players were the ones that put the rule of up. LOL.

PC players bring lasagna, hamburgers, super sub sandwiches and other foods.

Local firefighters are PC gamers so they bring a lot of food.

Consoles players bring chips and soda.

It's kind of a inside joke :) If you was there you would understand.

Last edited:
Hey megazell, can you tell me how to find a good graphics card?
I actually am trying to find all the pc components to make a budget and if i can find it all for the right price ill probably go ahead,get the parts and build it.
I couldn't find no computer shows around here in louisiana though so I can't get dirt cheap prices for high end products.

[quote name='zaff2000']Hey megazell, can you tell me how to find a good graphics card?
I actually am trying to find all the pc components to make a budget and if i can find it all for the right price ill probably go ahead,get the parts and build it.
I couldn't find no computer shows around here in louisiana though so I can't get dirt cheap prices for high end products.[/QUOTE]

Well, whats spending cap, Motherboard, CPU and PSU (Power Supply Unit) you working with?

In the end when all other places are exhausted...I go to www.pricewatch.com.

I would also try craiglist...Now you don't have to get stuff used. Sometimes local stores need to liquidate so you sometimes find bargain on their like that.

You can get a Nvidia 9400 Gt for as low as $39 bucks online.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=Nvidia+9400gt&ved=0CCUQrQQwAg&scoring=p

[quote name='zaff2000']i am wanting to spend no more than 400 on the entire system
Case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811156137
motherboard and cpu: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.320289

i do not have those just what i plan on getting[/QUOTE]

Well right there you are 250+ in. I would set aside about $60 for a video card.

Nvidia 9400 GT is going for about $40 and up - http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&q=Nvidia+9400gt&ved=0CCEQrQQwAg&scoring=p

I was considering switching over myself, but then I remembered that PC games are spent once you use that cd key, so there's no trading/selling after you're done with a game. Though PC gaming is prob better because of graphics and customization if you aren't worried about that extra money that you'll spend in the long run. I guess I'm just a true CAG. ;)

[quote name='sealionnn']I was considering switching over myself, but then I remembered that PC games are spent once you use that cd key, so there's no trading/selling after you're done with a game. Though PC gaming is prob better because of graphics and customization if you aren't worried about that extra money that you'll spend in the long run. I guess I'm just a true CAG. ;)[/QUOTE]

You must be talking about PC gaming back in 1992.

PC Games are cheaper or free. Period.

I have over 700+ games from 2006 to now...I think I spent $3.00 bucks tops.

bread's done
Back