Thrift Store Thread 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a strawberry shortcake rag doll from 1980 in the box for 1.99, its not worth a lot on ebay but definitely something I am going to hold onto. Also found a vintage slide rule for 50 cents that is probably worth about $20 or more on ebay.

Got Star Ocean: The Second Story and Marvel vs. Capcom (Dreamcast) both complete and in great condition for $2.15 after tax at a local thrift store yesterday.

putting my name in so I remember to follow and post in this one from now on.

A couple days ago though I got a dreamcast system with 2 controllers and the red, yellow, white cord for $9.99. No power cord. I have a couple here that don't work so I just used one of those power chords. This was at a goodwill.

Stopped by Value Village on a whim earlier today and got an original Game Boy with carrying case and Tetris for $4.99.

Both the system and case need some cleaning. Anyone know if Game Boy cases are machine washable?

[quote name='philinchio']Stopped by Value Village on a whim earlier today and got an original Game Boy with carrying case and Tetris for $4.99.

Both the system and case need some cleaning. Anyone know if Game Boy cases are machine washable?[/QUOTE]

Just take a brush and some laundry detergent and wash it, it will come out perfect as long as there are no huge stains. I haven't tried throwing one in the machine yet but I have washed almost every gameboy case I got with laundry detergent and a brush and all of them came out great.

Ok i normally only post the pics of the game stuff, but i don't really know how it would be broken up as i asked how much for the lost below and it was $6 total at the SA.

so all of that is:
Sega master system games (all w/ manuals)
Kenseiden
Double Dragon
Phantasy Star
Rampage
Ghostbusters
Missile Defense 3-D

Genesis game -RBI baseball 3
PS1- Spice World

How I met your mother season 1
and not pictured a disney cd.

Now i don't have a master system, but they seemed like a good deal, it was interesting this was all mixed in like 8 blue bins of clearance vhs tapes.

Oh shit, Double Dragon and Rampage was fun when I was a kid. Ah master system memories. There's a cheat for double dragon on the last level, if you do some backward crescent kick move at the beginning you gain +1up. (repeatable) XD

--- Edit ---
Just read you don't have the system. :(

[quote name='pcktlnt']
--- Edit ---
Just read you don't have the system. :([/QUOTE]

lol, not right now anyways, got to keep my eye out for one, they were going to look around at that store i was at anyways to see if they have it and any more since i did find one empty case

Found a few things today at SA and Value Village.

-Ecco: The Tides of Time (Sega CD) CIB for $3
-Demolition Man (3DO) CIB for $4.99

Both disks are slightly scratched and need to be cleaned but otherwise look good. The only other problem is that I have neither of those systems yet. :(

[quote name='spmahn']I guess those are good finds, bit whats the point of buying lousy games for systems you don't own?[/QUOTE]Why the fuck do you care, get out of his face and get out of my thread!

[quote name='spmahn']I guess those are good finds, bit whats the point of buying lousy games for systems you don't own?[/QUOTE]

Since when do the rules say that you have to have the system before the game?

EDIT: Now that I think about it...you do have a point. I suppose it was because those games are not as common up here in Alaska and I figured I might as well get them now instead of waiting till I have the system. I'll probably sell them at a pawn shop unless someone else is interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='darkslime']Why the fuck do you care, get out of his face and get out of my thread![/QUOTE]

wtf is your problem? I was asking a perfectly legitimate question, I wasn't being malicious about it.

[quote name='spmahn']wtf is your problem? I was asking a perfectly legitimate question, I wasn't being malicious about it.[/QUOTE]

If you ask questions, make statements that cannot be supported by Wikipedia, or pretty much say anything, Darkslime will find you and E-rape you.

[quote name='Vulgarism']If you ask questions, make statements that cannot be supported by Wikipedia, or pretty much say anything, Darkslime will find you and E-rape you.[/QUOTE]

I thought people stopped doing that past the age of 16.

ive never been to a thrift store lolz . the only place i buy anything used is only for video games. so ebgames is the closest thing to a thrift store for me hahaa

my car has been out since Nov. worst part is its got a full tank of gas. been taking either my dads truck or car to work, whichever he didnt take to his work. dont want to pay for gas unless its necessary so i stay around town. ive only gone to my closest GW maybe 10 times since my car broke. soon as its workin im hitting up at least 3 GWs from my old rounds.

Today i found what i think is a good deal at the gw?

All as a package:
NES-101 (cosmetically pretty dirty, and significantly yellowed except for the plastic over the cart slot)
1 rectangle controller (also yellowed, wish it was a dogbone)
NES RF adapter (1st party)
NES AC adapter (1st party)
Super Mario Bros. 3 w/ a black nintendo sleeve
Super Mario Bros./ Duck Hunt
NES Play Action Football (package in two languages, i believe its English/French, so Canadian?)

Total: 14.99
Really just wanted the system, as i had the mario games already

Yeah, it was a good deal, console only NES' still go for around $30 on eBay. I don't know what kind of crack Ye0ldmario is smoking though, Mario / Duck Hunt isn't worth the change in my pocket, and Mario 3 is worth maybe $5 tops. Still however, good deal.

People on Amazon are free to sell their items at whatever price they want, it has no baring whatsoever on value. I could list a copy of Mario 3 on there for $100, does that mean it's worth $100? Check out past eBay auctions and you will see that Mario 3 can easily be had for > $5

spmahn, what's with all the insulting comments? No need to be so negative. Also...

[quote name='spmahn']People on Amazon are free to sell their items at whatever price they want, it has no baring whatsoever on value. I could list a copy of Mario 3 on there for $100, does that mean it's worth $100? Check out past eBay auctions and you will see that Mario 3 can easily be had for > $5[/QUOTE]

Here are the prices (including shipping, of course, and as of this post) of the last ten copies of Super Mario Bros. 3 that sold on Ebay:
$14.50
$17.94
$11.98
$15.50
$15.40
$9.99
$15.98
$14.94
$15.84
$15.95

Within the last 30 days, only two copies sold for $6.00, and none for $5.00. The vast majority are 10 dollars and up. For the record, an item is always worth at least what it sells for. So yes, if you list a copy of SMB3 for $100 and it sells, that copy was worth $100. Amazon and Ebay, like 'em or not, pretty much dictate fair market value for second-hand and collectible items.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are several that have ended in the last few days for less than $5, and there's quite a few more as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Mario-Bro...temQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item1c0f860485

http://cgi.ebay.com/NINTENDO-GAME-S...temQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item35a66e1c3e

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-MARIO-BRO...%3D15%26_sc%3D1%26hash%3Ditem2a03f5872f%22%7D

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-MARIO-BRO...temQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item3a56cacc65

I'd say a fair value for Mario 3 is right around $5 or $6 dollars lose, $15-$20 complete. While it is true that an item's value = what someone is willing to pay you for it, what someone is willing to pay you does not = an items value. There are plenty people that list worthless crap like Super Mario / Duck Hunt games for outrageous prices on eBay, and just let them sit as bait hoping to find some rube that doesn't know any better and will take the bait. It works sometimes, but just because someone pays you $15 dollars for a copy of Combat for Atari 2600, doesn't mean the value of Combat for Atari 2600 is $15

[quote name='spmahn']Here are several that have ended in the last few days for less than $5, and there's quite a few more as well.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Super-Mario-Bro...temQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item1c0f860485

http://cgi.ebay.com/NINTENDO-GAME-S...temQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item35a66e1c3e

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-MARIO-BRO...%3D15%26_sc%3D1%26hash%3Ditem2a03f5872f%22%7D

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-MARIO-BRO...temQQptZVideo_Games_Games?hash=item3a56cacc65

I'd say a fair value for Mario 3 is right around $5 or $6 dollars lose, $15-$20 complete. While it is true that an item's value = what someone is willing to pay you for it, what someone is willing to pay you does not = an items value. There are plenty people that list worthless crap like Super Mario / Duck Hunt games for outrageous prices on eBay, and just let them sit as bait hoping to find some rube that doesn't know any better and will take the bait. It works sometimes, but just because someone pays you $15 dollars for a copy of Combat for Atari 2600, doesn't mean the value of Combat for Atari 2600 is $15[/QUOTE]

One of those didn't sell, the reserve wasn't met. Also, allyourblood is right, I've seen the game, cart only, go for anywhere from $10-$15. This is the average price. What you listed were exceptions, not the rule.

spmahn, you're forgetting one crucial factor: shipping cost. You can't leave it out of the equation. Add in shipping on each of those auctions (remember, one of those didn't even sell -- reserve not met), and every last one is over $5.

Your fair value of $5-$6 doesn't seem to match that of the common secondary market, which, after including shipping, is around $10-$15 for a cartridge only copy. In any event, what YeOldmario said is perfectly reasonable: Super Mario 1 & 3 could fetch around $14.99 together, on any given day.

[quote name='spmahn']While it is true that an item's value = what someone is willing to pay you for it, what someone is willing to pay you does not = an items value.[/quote]

what.

[quote name='spmahn']Mario 3 can easily be had for > $5[/QUOTE]

Almost any game can easily be had for greater than five dollars.

[quote name='allyourblood'] In any event, what YeOldmario said is perfectly reasonable: Super Mario 1 & 3 could fetch around $14.99 together, on any given day.

what.[/QUOTE]

yeah i thought that SMB 3 goes for quite a bit online, i was quite surprised considering the gw this is from is usually pretty high on their prices (including $80 at the same time for an xbox, w/ one controller)

this is only the second time i have come across the toploading NES in the wild, i was not aware that they had some of the same plastic problems as the SNES. Is this fairly common? possibly because of the time frame they came out, using the same plastic as the SNES?

I picked up Sonic the Hedgehog and Sonic the Hedgehog 2 for $3 each. Both of them were in the Genesis case. I was excited. :bouncy: (Now all I need is a Sega Genesis)

...I also found Tony Hawk Ride (Wii), but then I saw the $60 pricetag, laughed and slowly walked away.
...I thought about picking up a Nintendo 64 with 3 controllers for $25 just because it came with 3 colorful 1st party controllers (blue, yellow, green), but decided against it. I don't need another gray N64.

(I also picked up Final Fantasy XII, Xenosaga 2 and Resident Evil: Code Veronica X for $19 at the Play n Trade and Raiden IV LE for $19 @ Best Buy. All in all, a pretty good day)

Got these from a couple thrift stores today.

Anyone know anything about Immortals of Change Battle Set?

DSCF0011-1.jpg

Immortals of Change Battle Set $2.98
GI Joe Cobra Mantis Sub $.99
Marvel Super Heroes War of The Gems $2.00
Sims 2 Holiday Edition $1.96
Twinsen's Odyssey $2.98
Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds Saga $2.98
Star Wars X-Wing Alliance $2.98

also, I think it is the complete set but haven't look through everything. Star Trek TNG Collector's Edition VHS Tapes for $10 total. There are a ton of them in those two boxes.

DSCF0012-2.jpg

Recently, my roommate and I picked up a SNES with about 8 games for $10 from our local Goodwill shop. We've made out like bandits there in the past and this time was no different.

XFX Geforce 7600 GS 256MB DDR2 graphics card for $30. its in the box and has the cd. one sold on Ebay for $32 so should i just take it back? i dont have a computer that needs a videocard. you think someone on CL would pay more for it?

[quote name='juangrande386']XFX Geforce 7600 GS 256MB DDR2 graphics card for $30. its in the box and has the cd. one sold on Ebay for $32 so should i just take it back? i dont have a computer that needs a videocard. you think someone on CL would pay more for it?[/QUOTE]

I sincerely doubt you'll be able to profit enough from it to make it worth your while. I'd take it back, if they'll let you.

Just got back from my local Goodwill. Tons of steep prices for stuff. $30 for Sims 3... $12.98 for a Sims 2 add on pack...

Then, the motherload, burried pretty much out of sight between crappy PC games...

ao80pj.jpg

$5.99. Disc had some dust on it but looked excellent.:booty:

I've seen about a dozen of those with prices from $10 to $40 and all have had scratches up the wazoo. :lol:

[quote name='mguiddy']I've seen about a dozen of those with prices from $10 to $40 and all have had scratches up the wazoo. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Some of the dust was caked on, but I have a micro fiber cloth that I carefully ran across to knock them loose. I think I might just see if it works and dump it off on amazon.

[quote name='pyoobez']Some of the dust was caked on, but I have a micro fiber cloth that I carefully ran across to knock them loose. I think I might just see if it works and dump it off on amazon.[/QUOTE]

Did you get this at the Goodwill in Selinsgrove? lol

The sticker below the price tag looks like a Target QMOS plate. It's what they place on damaged merchandise that they plan on donating.

Saw at a GW today: Left 4 Dead 2 for PC for 9.99 and Counterstrike 1 Anthology for 4.99 and a Final Fantasy XI Collection for 4.99. Prolly would've jumped on them had I owned a PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back