Xbox 360 Data Migration Kit/Hard Drive Transfer Thread

Durmat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
46 (100%)
I thought it might be useful to start a thread for Xbox 360 Data Migration Kit/Hard Drive Transfer requests, since although MS still includes a cable in its 120GB HDD upgrade package, it is now charging for them for upgraders to Elite systems (I also hear that the kits that MS is charging for aren't reliably in stock, either).

Yes, of course, I am doing this because I need one and am calling on the generosity of the CAG community. So I'll start out by asking:

Is there a CAGer who would generously lend me their used Microsoft 360 Data Migration Kit so I could transfer the dear memories (like save files for too many unfinished games) from the 20GB HDD survivor of my Xbox Pro's demise to the inviting 120GB HDD behemoth of my new Xbox Elite? I would, of course, pay for postage both ways and leave you glowing positive feedback.

Orrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......

In addition to this personal request, rather than leaving this as a one-time begging thread, I thought that perhaps we could use my moment of need to get something going on a permanent basis to help upgraders (either voluntary or, as in my case, involuntary) transfer their old 20GB or 60GB drives to the Elite's shiny new 120GB drives, or an old 20GB to a new 60GB or to whatever else Microsoft comes up with.

With the aid of one or more extremely generous original benefactors (that is, people who already have the kits but are willing to contribute them to the cause by sending them to the first people on the list), perhaps we could get a chain going where people who need a one-time use of a transfer kit would post their names in the thread. Once a CAG'er on the list received a transfer kit, s/he would take his/her name off the list, use the migration kit, and then, rather than return the kit to the person who sent it, send it on to the next person on the list, who would receive and repeat the process, and so on...

Each person who received a kit would be responsible for contacting the next person on the list and for sending it on. I know, it's a little Pay-It-Forward cheesy, but the alternative is to have the next person on the list send paypal to the person holding the kit in order to cover postage, which could get confusing and slows things down. If other people are serious about setting up a thread like this and feel otherwise, we could certainly do it the latter way. I'm not too wrapped up in any one part of the plan and would definitely appreciate any suggestions ;).

More thoughts: with the Mods' permission, we could also employ the feedback system to govern the program (positive feedback to those who sent on, negative feedback and public shaming for those who didn't). It might also be reasonable to require a certain minimum feedback score to participate and other things we could discuss if the program takes off.

So there it is. I'll repeat my request for someone to lend me their transfer kit- just tell me where to send paypal to cover shipping the kit out, and I'll ship it right back to you as soon as I'm done.

I will also go ahead and add myself to the list for the proposed ongoing thread in the hopes that an even more generous person would donate their kit to make the first trade:

1. durmat

Please feel free to post, PM, whatever with your thoughts, suggestions, and, hopefully, offers of data transfer kits. Thanks to all for making it through my rambling post!

Durmat

I'll ship my data migration kit if you guys want it, but is it bs when they say it only works once? Or is it once per gamertag? If a used one still works I could ship it to someone tomorrow. (I have to take some amazon sale stuff anyway)

[quote name='thamaster24']I'll ship my data migration kit if you guys want it, but is it bs when they say it only works once? Or is it once per gamertag? If a used one still works I could ship it to someone tomorrow. (I have to take some amazon sale stuff anyway)[/QUOTE]

It appears to be BS. From looking around online, it appears that a number of people have re-used them. Dunno if MS was intentionally misrepresenting (which would be odd, given that they used to give them out for free) or if it's just a misstatement of the fact that transfers can only go one way (i.e., you can transfer from 20GB to 120GB but never back).

Anyways, thanks very much- I'll PM you my info.

[quote name='Durmat']It appears to be BS. From looking around online, it appears that a number of people have re-used them. Dunno if MS was intentionally misrepresenting (which would be odd, given that they used to give them out for free) or if it's just a misstatement of the fact that transfers can only go one way (i.e., you can transfer from 20GB to 120GB but never back).

Anyways, thanks very much- I'll PM you my info.[/QUOTE]

PM sent, I just eventually want it back when everyone gets through with it.

Just in case anyone was wondering, there's two versions of the transfer kit. The first version won't work with anything but a 20GB -> 120GB transfer. The second version supposedly works with anything:

20GB -> 60GB
20GB -> 120GB
20GB -> 250GB

60GB -> 120GB
60GB -> 250GB

120GB -> 250GB

The only difference is the CD that comes in the transfer kit. The CD with the P/N ending in -01 is the first version, which is the 20GB -> 120GB version. The other, newer version is the one that works with anything going to a larger drive.

[quote name='Durmat']More thoughts: with the Mods' permission, we could also employ the feedback system to govern the program (positive feedback to those who sent on, negative feedback and public shaming for those who didn't). It might also be reasonable to require a certain minimum feedback score to participate and other things we could discuss if the program takes off.[/QUOTE]Nope. Anyone who goes through this isn't leaving feedback over any aspect of it.

You're all on your own on this one.

I used to have a 320GB hard for my xbox 360(ghost the whole thing over and the extanded the main partition) but then came that M$ block so we got to buy their hard drive at prices from 2003....

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Need my address when your done with it Durmat?[/QUOTE]

Yup- you can PM it to me any time; I'll keep you posted.

Hey, I just upgraded to a refurbed XBox360 120GB hard drive and I was wondering if any CAG would be willing to lend a transfer kit out, obviously I'd pay for shipping both ways, I just need to borrow it for a day. I've got good feedback too. I've got some Playstation swag I might be convinced to part with in exchange for your time.

Thanks! :lol:

[quote name='shrike4242']Just in case anyone was wondering, there's two versions of the transfer kit. The first version won't work with anything but a 20GB -> 120GB transfer. The second version supposedly works with anything:

20GB -> 60GB
20GB -> 120GB
20GB -> 250GB

60GB -> 120GB
60GB -> 250GB

120GB -> 250GB

The only difference is the CD that comes in the transfer kit. The CD with the P/N ending in -01 is the first version, which is the 20GB -> 120GB version. The other, newer version is the one that works with anything going to a larger drive.

[/QUOTE]

Wish I had checked before I sent it, it's on its way now Durmat. It worked on the 20 GB to 120 GB transfer for me but then again that could be either version.

[quote name='thamaster24']Wish I had checked before I sent it, it's on its way now Durmat. It worked on the 20 GB to 120 GB transfer for me but then again that could be either version.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm doing 20GB to 120GB, so either version will work for me. I'll take a look at it when it arrives and report on which version it is.

[quote name='thamaster24']Wish I had checked before I sent it, it's on its way now Durmat. It worked on the 20 GB to 120 GB transfer for me but then again that could be either version.[/QUOTE]The one that only works from 20GB to 120GB has a -01 on the CD for its part number, and the other one that works on any drive same to same or smaller to larger has a -02 on the CD. The cable is the same as well, I think.

The updated one lists same to same transfers working as well as small to large, so 20GB to 20GB, 60GB to 60GB, 120GB to 120GB and 250GB to 250GB transfers work with the newer one.

I'll try and look at the transfer kits I have and let you know the differences on the CD's and cables, with a post in here.

[quote name='Durmat']Thanks! I'm doing 20GB to 120GB, so either version will work for me. I'll take a look at it when it arrives and report on which version it is.[/QUOTE]

Here's the comparison between the two transfer kits:

Transfer kit packed in my 120GB drive box, from 2007:
Cable:
Has a P/N of X812003-001 listed on a sticker on the side of the cable.
Transfer CD:
Has a "0207 Part No. X13-45328-02" on the CD sleeve
Has "MEDIA SET: X13-45472-01" on a sticker on the CD sleeve.
Has a picture of an Xbox 360 showing the 20GB drive attached to the 360 and the 120GB drive connected via the USB transfer cable.
CD has a copyright date of 2006, with a "0107 Part No. X13-45476-01" on the CD itself.

Transfer kit Microsoft just sent me when I told them my existing transfer cable wouldn't work:
Cable:
Has a P/N of X815251-002 listed on a sticker on the side of the cable.
Transfer CD:
Has a "0807 Part No. X13-45328-04" on the CD sleeve
Has "MEDIA SET: X13-45472-03" on a sticker on the CD sleeve.
Has a picture of an Xbox 360 showing the a drive attached to the 360 and another drive connected via the USB transfer cable. Doesn't show sizes of the drives.
CD has a copyright date of 2007, with a "0807 Part No. X13-45476-02" on the CD itself.
The included documentation mentions that the transfer cable will work on drive transfers between two same sized drives or from a smaller drive to a larger one. Specifically says that a transfer from a larger drive to a smaller one won't work.

The one I used to copy data from my 120GB drive to my 250GB drive was the second set, not the first one. First one wouldn't work when I tried it with the 120GB to 250GB copy.

Hey guys i have a HDD transfer kit as well. Of course you'll have to pay for shipping both ways but that shouldn't cost much. It'd be nice to get a $1 or free unwanted swag by people who do use it.

Faz, is that kit still available?

All, can I buy this cable used at gamestop? Is the CD required? Looking to upgrade my entire 20gb console to a new elite this weekend.

how much does it cost to ship a cable both ways in the US? I just bought one over the phone from Microsoft yesterday for $12.90 (because i didn't know about this thread).

[quote name='fazfznz']mtxbass1, you and another user want the cable.[/QUOTE]

Ok, if it doesn't work out with him, let me know.

I'm in need of a kit too. If I was willing to buy one, what is the best way to go about getting my hands on a kit? I looked on Microsoft's site but I couldn't find where they're selling them and eBay seems to be pretty expensive on the official ones.

My old 20GB Xbox died yesterday (the console died, not the hard drive) so I upgraded to an Elite with a 120GB drive. The obvious problem is that all of my "stuff" is on the 20GB drive and I want it on the 120.

Since it looks like there is a fairly long line, I'm willing to drop the cash to get my hands on a kit.

Thanks,

[quote name='Angelwatch']I'm in need of a kit too. If I was willing to buy one, what is the best way to go about getting my hands on a kit? I looked on Microsoft's site but I couldn't find where they're selling them and eBay seems to be pretty expensive on the official ones.

My old 20GB Xbox died yesterday (the console died, not the hard drive) so I upgraded to an Elite with a 120GB drive. The obvious problem is that all of my "stuff" is on the 20GB drive and I want it on the 120.

Since it looks like there is a fairly long line, I'm willing to drop the cash to get my hands on a kit.

Thanks,[/QUOTE]
You can order it from Microsoft directly for about $13 or so.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']is this on track at all anymore or what?[/QUOTE]

Tracking info says it arrived on the 16th, I'll check it again in just a second.

I decided to go ahead and order one from Microsoft. I wasn't charged for it, but they did say it will take 2-3 weeks to arrive. I am upgrading from a launch 20gig to a 120gig Elite. I wonder if that is why I wasn't charged?

[quote name='Transformah']I decided to go ahead and order one from Microsoft. I wasn't charged for it, but they did say it will take 2-3 weeks to arrive. I am upgrading from a launch 20gig to a 120gig Elite. I wonder if that is why I wasn't charged?[/QUOTE]

What did you tell them on the phone? I am doing this exact thing.

Be nice if the OP sent it out already. Should only take a day or so to transfer stuff over correct?

When I called they wanted 13 bucks. I said, just forget it then.

[quote name='Vulcan2422']Be nice if the OP sent it out already. Should only take a day or so to transfer stuff over correct?

When I called they wanted 13 bucks. I said, just forget it then.[/QUOTE]

Unexpected travel all week for family emergency. Will send on as soon as I'm able to return home, hopefully beginning of next week.

[quote name='mikochu']Yeah, I ordered mine on the 10th...doesn't look like I'll get it until the 23rd. :([/QUOTE]That sounds about right. The one I had to order was ordered on 12/27/09, didn't arrive until 01/13/10.

It goes FedEx SmartPost, which takes forever and a day, plus it didn't actually start into package stream over a week after it was "shipped". Mine "shipped" on 12/29/09, though it didn't get picked up by FedEx until 01/06/10.

I finally received my transfer kit. It took an 75 minutes to transfer about 12GB of data from my 20GB to the 120GB from my Elite. After it was done, it said some of the data was corrupt, but the data was deleted off the source drive anyway. Hmmm...I'm gonna have a fit if it messes up any saves for games I still play.

Is there a transfer kit that will transfer all your data from the 120gb hd to a 250gb hd? I recently purchased the mw2 le console and need to get all data, music, gamesaves, etc. out of the 120 and have it moved over to the 250gb hd. If someone has a transfer cable I could borrow i'd appreciate it. Thanks

[quote name='mikochu']I finally received my transfer kit. It took an 75 minutes to transfer about 12GB of data from my 20GB to the 120GB from my Elite. After it was done, it said some of the data was corrupt, but the data was deleted off the source drive anyway. Hmmm...I'm gonna have a fit if it messes up any saves for games I still play.[/QUOTE]It took 7-8 hours to pull all of the data off my 120GB to my 250GB, though I had the same error as well. I didn't go back through my hard drive and see what wasn't still there or not, though I should do that to see what went "missing".

[quote name='intoxicated662']Is there a transfer kit that will transfer all your data from the 120gb hd to a 250gb hd? I recently purchased the mw2 le console and need to get all data, music, gamesaves, etc. out of the 120 and have it moved over to the 250gb hd. If someone has a transfer cable I could borrow i'd appreciate it. Thanks[/QUOTE]Go back a page in the thread, so you can see the differences between the two kits:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=6730926&postcount=16

As long as you end up with the "newer" kit, it'll work with any drive from same size to same size or smaller to larger.

I know what the differences are and I need the newer version as the kits are the same but the cd discs are different and that is what matters really. I need the newer cd disc please if anyone can help me out i'd appreciate it. I mainly want to get my music that is saved on the 120gb hd out so I can put it on my 250gb hd now. Unless someone knows another method of doing this?

Looks like Durmat said he was sending it out either today or yesterday. hopefully it will be here Saturday, if not then Monday and I can have it out to the next in line

[quote name='intoxicated662']I know what the differences are and I need the newer version as the kits are the same but the cd discs are different and that is what matters really. I need the newer cd disc please if anyone can help me out i'd appreciate it. I mainly want to get my music that is saved on the 120gb hd out so I can put it on my 250gb hd now. Unless someone knows another method of doing this?[/QUOTE]
Call Microsoft and order one. It'll be $14 or so.

If this is still available, I am interested in getting in on it. I have the 20GB - 120GB scenario, so I think that either version would work.

I'll pay shipping, no problem.

Please PM me.

Thanks in advance.

Yeah, is there anyway I could get in on this too? That would be awesome. I'm going from 20 > 60 so....this would be super cool though.

Would anyone be up for doing a temporary swap of my kit (original 20-120 one) for your copy of Rock Band 1 (360)? I just want to import the songs into my RB2. Thanks!

Does anyone know what the difference is between the Hong Kong knockoffs and the official ones? I'm in need of one and the knockoffs are pretty cheap on ebay.

I could definately use this cable after the last person in line is finished. Buying a FF13 LE Console next week, and from what i heard, Microsoft takes 3-4 weeks to ship them out.

(On a side note, where would the cheapest/fastest/safest place to buy one be? I see some on sites for 8-10 dollars, but i dont see any reviews)

bread's done
Back