Computer hardware replacement question

Cracka

CAG Newbie
My girlfriend's laptop got a virus or something which has messed up the hard-drive. I ran the internal diagnostics that came with the computer and its saying that its not a software problem but a hardware problem with the hard drive.

It's a dell, her warranty expired shortly before this happened (who would've guessed). To get a new hard-drive plus to buy windows etc seems like its going to cost an arm and a leg. The only thing the computer will really do right now is go to the menu where it lets you choose the order in which your computer boots: hard drive, cd rom, etc..

So my question is, could you take a hard-drive out of a desktop computer which already has windows xp installed on it, put it in a external hard drive case, and use the windows already installed on the desktop's hard drive? Or would there be a problem with drivers or something?

If any of you have any clue about this, please let me know.

theres no recovery disc? throw it in, select repair and cross your fingers. if not, go for a fresh install of windows.

also, we have a pc forum now!

No its got the recovery thing built into the hard drive, which doesn't make too much sense to me. But we tried it and it didn't work, and i don't think the computer will even access the recovery anymore.

The thing is the diagnostics say its not a software problem with the hard-drive, its saying its a hardware problem. If something is physically wrong with the hard-drive, i don't think reinstalling windows would work and we're not really wanting to risk over $100 to try it.

My question is, is it feasible to take a used hard-drive that already has windows on it (we have a desktop which has xp on the hard-drive that we aren't using anymore) and put it in a $25 external hard drive case, and plug it into the usb and use that hard drive for the laptop instead of the broken on thats inside of it?

We're basically wanting to try any cheap fixes for it before throwing down hundreds to fix it.

I completely forgot about the pc forum, i only use the off-topic forums so it slipped my mind. If somebody can move the thread i'd appreciate it.

well im not 100%, but i believe it depends on what boot options your bios supports. i know that mine (which is relatively new) can boot OS off external HDDs and even flash drives. so in theory its possible.

also,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...36387&cm_re=laptop_hdd-_-22-136-387-_-Product

$55 bucks for a new 250gb hdd for a laptop. if youre familiar with desktop hardware a lot top hdd isnt much harder to change, just take the dive.

I think you may still have options that don't include spending a lot of money.

Dell added a feature to their hard drive recovery tool that would allow you to create Bootable Recovery CDs/DVDs that could be used in the event of a hard drive failure. I'm not sure how old your dell laptop is, nor do I know if the version of recovery software installed on the drive supports this feature, but it is certainly worth a try.

Another option, which Dell should have told you about, would be to pay Dell for the recovery CDs you need specific to your laptop. As long as the Windows CD Key is still visible on the sticker underneath the laptop then you should be ok. I think Dell charges ~$20 for the CDs and a hard drive shouldn't cost more than $100 off newegg.

Good luck!

You shouldn't need to buy a new copy of windows if you're just replacing the HDD. You should be able to use the license that came with it. There should be a sticker on the bottom of the laptop that you'll need during installation. Either order the CD from Dell or borrow the disc from someone. Your best bet would be to purchase a replacement hdd and not use an external.

Just did this a few weeks ago with my bro's dell laptop. if there is a green disc that says "this is already installed on your system" and should say operating system or something like that. Anyways, you won't need a new OS at all if you have that disc. Looks like you kinda had the same problem my bro had.

I think his problem though is he can't get into Windows to burn the bootable discs. He has no standalone disc, just that bullshit "recovery partition" asshole manufacturers like to opt for. If you're going to buy a replacement disc/drive from Dell, it would make more sense to just sport the extra cash and buy a full version of Windows for what Dell would likely charge out of warranty. Then you can reinstall without all the aftermarket crap slipstreamed into the recovery installation, and have that copy of Windows to be eligible for quite a few upgrade versions of future Windows releases.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I think his problem though is he can't get into Windows to burn the bootable discs. He has no standalone disc, just that bullshit "recovery partition" asshole manufacturers like to opt for. If you're going to buy a replacement disc/drive from Dell, it would make more sense to just sport the extra cash and buy a full version of Windows for what Dell would likely charge out of warranty. Then you can reinstall without all the aftermarket crap slipstreamed into the recovery installation, and have that copy of Windows to be eligible for quite a few upgrade versions of future Windows releases.[/QUOTE]

You really are oversimplifying the process you are suggesting. Throwing a retail copy of Windows on a Dell or HP or any other computer is anything but an easy process. Unless his Dell laptop uses VERY common hardware, which it likely doesn't, the rebuild process is going to take a very long time, especially considering the OPs skill level. (No offense OP.)

Rest assured, buying the recovery CDs from Dell and replacing the hard drive is the least painful way to fix the problem.

And to elaborate on my previous post, most laptop manufacturers have a way to create the recovery CDs outside of the OS. As has been mentioned, it usually isn't until a hard drive has failed that most people even consider making their own CDs. While your chances of creating the CDs after a hard drive failure are still low, removing the OS from the equation greatly increases the chances of recovery. This is particularly true if the hard drive failure is logical instead of physical.

Basically the laptop will cut on, you can go to the menu which lets you choose the order in which your hardware boots and that is it. It will not even let us access the recovery options anymore.

It didn't come with any recovery discs and we can't burn one because we can't really go past that boot order menu because it turns off after it. I don't think any recovery options are really options at this point. When it first messed up we were able to access the recovery option, and it would always pop up an error in the middle of recovery and reboot. Now it won't even let us get to the recovery menu, so I believe replacing the hard drive and reinstalling windows seems like the only option.

So if i got a new hard drive for her laptop, I could use someone else's windows disc to install it using the windows license number thats on her laptop, or get a cheap copy from Dell?

Thanks for the input everybody

[quote name='Cracka']So if i got a new hard drive for her laptop, I could use someone else's windows disc to install it using the windows license number thats on her laptop, or get a cheap copy from Dell?

Thanks for the input everybody[/QUOTE]

Your best option would be to get some recovery discs from dell. They're probably around $20 or so, but it'll save a ton of time because you wont' have to worry about finding drivers and you wont have any problems with windows activation.

[quote name='Cracka']Basically the laptop will cut on, you can go to the menu which lets you choose the order in which your hardware boots and that is it. It will not even let us access the recovery options anymore.

It didn't come with any recovery discs and we can't burn one because we can't really go past that boot order menu because it turns off after it. I don't think any recovery options are really options at this point. When it first messed up we were able to access the recovery option, and it would always pop up an error in the middle of recovery and reboot. Now it won't even let us get to the recovery menu, so I believe replacing the hard drive and reinstalling windows seems like the only option.

So if i got a new hard drive for her laptop, I could use someone else's windows disc to install it using the windows license number thats on her laptop, or get a cheap copy from Dell?

Thanks for the input everybody[/QUOTE]
The license key that's on the sticker on the laptop is for an OEM Windows install CD/DVD, not a retail one. Retail license keys won't work on a OEM install and vice versa.

If you never received the recovery CD's or DVD's with the system or made them from the system when first purchased, I'd recommend spending the money and getting the CD's/DVD's from Dell.

At that point, you'd have everything you need to do a fresh OS install on the new hard drive. Drivers would be downloaded from Dell's website.

[quote name='shrike4242'] Drivers would be downloaded from Dell's website.[/QUOTE]

Actually Shrike, the drivers would be on the discs themselves. The discs come in a set, one green disc (OS) and a blue disk (drivers).

[quote name='daphatty']Actually Shrike, the drivers would be on the discs themselves. The discs come in a set, one green disc (OS) and a blue disk (drivers).[/QUOTE]

Whenever I reinstall Windows, I just install Windows, let the OS get me online, and I download all the drivers I care about from either Windows Update or the manufacturers themselves. Starting with XP, Windows has become very friendly with that. Even before I built my own computer, I stopped using most of the included discs that came with the computer. Just the OS disc.

Even now with my custom built computer, the OS disc is all I need to give me the opportunities to get everything else I need.

Of course, you need to know what's inside your computer to download certain specific drivers if Windows Update or a manufacturer's website won't detect your hardware for you.

HeY GUYS JUST ISNTALL LINUX U B OK

N GET A BEARD LIKE THIS N YOULL BE OK

ITS ON DA NECK N ITS GOT RESPECKT!!!

neckbeard.jpg

[quote name='daphatty']Actually Shrike, the drivers would be on the discs themselves. The discs come in a set, one green disc (OS) and a blue disk (drivers).[/QUOTE]The newest ones would be on the Dell website, which may be or may not be on the CD/DVD(s).

Newest ones will always be on the Dell website, which is why I go there and ignore the discs, unless there's an application I need to pull of it that has an update on the Dell website.

[quote name='daphatty']You really are oversimplifying the process you are suggesting. Throwing a retail copy of Windows on a Dell or HP or any other computer is anything but an easy process.[/QUOTE]

I've done it plenty of times with no issues. With brands across the board. HP, Dell, Compaq, etc. Even shitty old Compaqs with combo CD-ROM/HDD are even automatically recognized by XP. Chipset drivers are easy enough to find online, regardless of skill level.

In my opinion, the factory recovery is a much, much bigger pain in the ass and promise of future headaches than a straight Windows install. Wrangling up a few oddball chipset drivers is much quicker and easier than the gutting process to get a storebought computer's firstparty bloat and various hijackings trimmed out.

The HDD was integrated with the CD-ROM, to save space. Not literally, the drive was mounted on top of case above the CD-ROM drive, housed together as one piece of "hardware."

[quote name='Cracka']
So my question is, could you take a hard-drive out of a desktop computer which already has windows xp installed on it, put it in a external hard drive case, and use the windows already installed on the desktop's hard drive? Or would there be a problem with drivers or something?
[/QUOTE]

Just because I have not seen this answered no you cannot take a hard drive from a computer with XP and put it into another computer, well not without having to jump through some hoops. If I am correct Windows would either require you to reinstall due to hardware changes or reactivate.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']The HDD was integrated with the CD-ROM, to save space. Not literally, the drive was mounted on top of case above the CD-ROM drive, housed together as one piece of "hardware."[/QUOTE]

That is amazing....

The real pisser was the 8GB HDD could be upgraded. But you had to buy that entire piece direct from Compaq, because it didn't use a standard HDD enclosure. It was so expensive I just shitcanned the PC and found out later that there actually was a cavity up behind the front bezel where you could cram a standard HDD into.

bread's done
Back