Wii console - Is it always $199

simonb

CAG Veteran
I am interested in getting a Wii console and the Wii Fit Plus for someone. They just mentioned this recently, so I just began looking a couple of weeks ago. Everywhere I look the system is $199. For the foreseeable future is this the price I will pay everywhere (due to Nintendo policy or high demand)? Or can I possibly find a better deal by waiting?

I'm in no hurry, and will gladly wait if deals do pop up ($ off or free controller or gift card for example). But if the price is $199 across the board then there is no reason for me to wait. If anyone can help I would appreciate it.
Thanks.

IIRC, it released at $250, so in all honesty, I wouldn't expect it to go down in price anytime soon seeing how it's hardly changed in all this time. That's not to say it can't go on sale or anything but I can't really say about that one way or another (just got a wii myself this past christmas so haven't paid a whole lot of attention to the wii before now).

I appreciate the help. I realized that the MSRP had recently dropped to $199 and wouldn't expect a further decrease for a while. I just didn't know if retailers ever had sale prices like they do for individual games (ex. $60 regular price, but Amazon or Best Buy has on sale for $40). From your comments and what I've seen, it looks like the console doesn't sell below $199. I just didn't want to buy now, if retailers do offer sales or gift cards, etc periodically. I'm not interested in waiting for a price cut at some unknown point in the future. Thanks again for the responses.

There were deals on the console before christmas, if I recall correctly. Amazon giving away gift cards or something? Or maybe walmart? I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure there was. However, I suspect we won't see anything like that again until next christmas shopping season.

[quote name='crunchewy']There were deals on the console before christmas, if I recall correctly. Amazon giving away gift cards or something? Or maybe walmart? I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure there was. However, I suspect we won't see anything like that again until next christmas shopping season.[/QUOTE]

many places were giving between 2o to 50 gift cards when you got the wii.... I could see the wii falling to 149 at E3 this summer... Not really counting on it but theres always a chance

Though i doubt there will be much news on the Wii at E3... Im sure nintendo will be pushin their new DSI XL (or whatvever its called) and DSI only games

I got the Wii in last november from Dell for $184-$36 bing cashback. Considering i waited 3 yrs the savings didnt end up all that great, but i'm satisfied with the purchase. Of course the savings off retail shrink once you end up buying other accessories like wiimotes, nuchucks, component cable, etc. Especially for families and kids who get the most use out of it. Wii sports and EA active are solid games But i doubt i'll play the Wii as much as my 360. I know this is a taboo subject, but i know alot of people likely do it. But I'm basically tech illiterate and dont know the risk of how to soft mod a Wii? Anyone having done or experience with it?

I bought my Wii for $145.99 from Amazon Warehouse deals last June. Open box, but otherwise brand new. And that was when it was $250. I'd check there from time to time, I'm sure they still have good deals on it.

You'll occasionally see $179 or so from Dell.com. That's about the lowest I've seen for a new system, but there's always Bing Cash Back deals too through various online retailers.

Just an update, for anyone interested.

I purchased from Sears with their current 20% cashback (2 days ago, and its still not listed under my account - hope I don't run into any problems). After shipping and tax, I think I saved just under $20 - not much, but it helps. Now I need to get Wii Fit Plus or another exercise game.

Thanks for your responses.

bread's done
Back