Official Microsoft Points and Xbox Live subscriptions Deal Thread - Read rules in OP!

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Xbox Live Subscription and Microsoft Currency deal thread!

This thread is for in-store or online deals on Live subscriptions or Microsoft currency/Microsoft Points.

It is NOT for:

• Discussion of Bing Search and using Bing to get currency or other rewards
  • Discussion of exploits related to receiving a free month of Xbox Live
Happy gaming!

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='shieryda']Post any deals you find on 1600 or 4000 points cards here!

Mods: can we please sticky this thread?[/QUOTE]

Shouldn't you actually have a deal to start this thread? Just sayin...

If you're gonna start a thread, you should absolutely have a deal. The only deal i saw was already listed on CAG which was the 4000 pts for 42 bucks at amazon.

I mean, if this continually had the cheapest source for Microsoft points in the OP, I think it'd be worth having. LIVE induces enough impulse buying to warrant hopping on the site, checking for the cheapest place for points at the time and making a purchase... whether it be eBay, online retailer, or B&M.

If you add in the 12 month live cards to this thread it might stay updated enough. I know my one year is almost up so I will be looking to buy one.

Yeah, this should probably have both Gold cards and Points cards in this thread, and it could be useful, especially if you keep the top post updated.

Anyway, Microcenter seems to have 4000 point cards for $40 as a standard price. At least the two I've been to (in Northern Virginia and Northeast Ohio) have had them at that price for a while.

[quote name='isofan1']ehh.. i dont think we need one big thread for one product[/QUOTE]

Don't you think it's better to have one thread for this product, rather than 3 or 4 asking for deals on this product?

If you're gonna start a thread, you should absolutely have a deal. The only deal i saw was already listed on CAG which was the 4000 pts for 42 bucks at amazon.

That's why I wanted this thread: for people to post deals. The Dell and Amazon deals are pretty much dead now, and I haven't seen any new ones pop up.

If the mods feel that this thread is unnecessary, then they can lock it up. No big deal. I'm just trying to help out the community.:D

damn you got reemed! A for effort, but yeah these are rarely on sale, and if its not from amazon they sell out pretty quick. sorry tyrone, this thread needs to get the axe. also, you should have put "space bucks" in the title.

At the moment it's still a small deal at amazon. 1600 points for $17.99 (MSRP $19.99) and 4000 points for $44.99 (MSRP $49.99). If you do the math, the deals are identical: about 90 cents per Microsoft buck (80 points). No advantage for either deal.

Oh, and no tax for most, though I don't know - do you pay tax on point cards at retail? I've only bought them from amazon.

1600 points for $17.99 (90 cents per microsoft buck)

4000 points for $44.99 (90 cents per microsoft buck)

Lastly I vote for a thread like this, but the info (such as this) needs to be in the OP. If you aren't willing to keep up with it, you shouldn't have started the thread.

I actually like this idea, when you need points/subscription renewal you have an instant source where to get them at the cheapest price! Then every idiot who asks for deals on xbl pts, etc can just point them to this thread. Especially now the DOTW thing, my points are getting used up more often than before. Bravo OP.

[quote name='FoxHoundADAM']I vote we keep the thread, but only if the OP is willing to keep up with the deals.[/QUOTE]

I am willing (for Microsoft points only, though).

[quote name='bajingo'] but yeah these are rarely on sale[/QUOTE]

all the more reason to have one central place to check (and will suddenly reappear on the front page) when there IS a deal

actually i know now of two past deals that i missed out on cuz there is no single thread on this matter/items..the first being doritos giving out free points in the form of 400 point n up--by the time it came back in a main thread they were only giving out 100 points per text-n it took forever to just get 1-now where the hell was that thread when they were giving out mad points-for free

DEALS GOING ON NOW
costco is having a sale on 1,600 n 12 month live get both for $50. (edit).. need to be a costco member for this deals.

amazon is selling 1,600 points for $18--4,000 point for $45
12 month card for $35

PAST DEALS---regualr deals---coupons--or price matching in the last 2-3 months

microcenter was selling 1,600 cards three months ago for like a month at first at $9.99 then they uped it to $13

sears selling 12 month live for $20 (price error) which lasted a few hours--- n then many cags were able to have it priced match at best buy for a few days.

a target coupon that people were using to buy a cheap $10 or less game n get a free 1,600 point card this december..again coupon seemed to work for most.

n when people were at best buy getting the messenger kit for cheap
last month-again for a few hours but best buy did honor most of the orders that were put through-

n the best buy free sherlock holmes movie tickets/ n avatar clothing that came with a 1,600 points seemed like a cool freebie

the best ive ever done was get 4000 points on ebay for 30$. that's a savings of $20.00, and to add in, yes it worked-wasn't a scam.

if there was a stickied thread, I'd vote for it to be for points for all systems, and included digital distribution deals for all systems and pc

but if it is just ms, put it in the 360 forum

[quote name='bfg9k']A stickied thread with microsoft, sony and nintendo point deals would be even more awesome :)[/QUOTE]I like the idea of having one for all three systems. It'd be nice if the MS section did include both points and Live subscription deals.

[quote name='archerbro74']the best ive ever done was get 4000 points on ebay for 30$. that's a savings of $20.00, and to add in, yes it worked-wasn't a scam.[/QUOTE]

yeah i remember overthinking if i should get one or not and in the end kicking myself for not getting one after seeing people said it worked n wasnt a scam.by then they were gone.

[quote name='eugaet'] It'd be nice if the MS section did include both points and Live subscription deals.[/QUOTE]

it definitely should..

[quote name='youenvy']yeah i remember overthinking if i should get one or not and in the end kicking myself for not getting one after seeing people said it worked n wasnt a scam.by then they were gone.

it definitely should..[/QUOTE]

yea the thing about paypal is that they're really good on buyer protection, you can file a dispute and usually get reimbursed if its a scam. though selling is a different story.

I vote we keep this thread. I hate hunting around the threads for latest points. There is nothing worse than having a bazillion threads dedicated to a store I am expected to look in.

We also need a general hardware sticky.

Regarding buying points for ridiculous prices, they may well be of criminal nature. iTunes cards were at ridiculous prices and people who bought them sometimes got bitten later, even though they worked at first. The scam was that they were bought with stolen credit cards. If the card got reported, then they'd find out that the points were purchased with a stolen card and then Apple would remove your account. In addition to that, buying the points essentially meant that you had, wittingly or not, supported the crime of stealing credit card numbers. Some day you could well get bitten by *that* due to making the stealing of credit cards easily profitable.

So... if the price seems too good to be true on ebay, odds are it *is* too good to be true. Even if you never see any direct consequences to your account, you are supporting criminal activity.

I'm going to need some points soon so this thread could come in handy in the future when there are better deals.

crunchewy, you're being a bit paranoid. You do realize that the low points card prices happened in the midst of when many companies went bankrupt, right? Between all the liquidations and wholesales, it's not a surprise prices dipped suddenly. If that type of scam was being done, there's no reason it would stop. Yet, aside from stores making pricing mistakes, I haven't seen prices like 4000 pts @ $30 since.

And the only way to make stealing credit unprofitable is to end the credit system. It's even better than cash these days.

I'm more worried about the CAGs that pricematch one store's mistake at other stores even long after the mistake has been corrected. So much blatent fraud hurts good businesses.

[quote name='youenvy']DEALS GOING ON NOW
costco is having a sale on 1,600 n 12 month live get both for $50. people claiming you pay only $40 at store.. need to be a costco member for these deals. [/QUOTE]
That deal is misleading at least from the Costco I went to.

The $50 deal they have is NOT in stock in-store.

The $40 deal only came with the 12-mo subscription but NOT with the points, but is currently on sale for $35 + tax.

[quote name='watcher0']crunchewy, you're being a bit paranoid. You do realize that the low points card prices happened in the midst of when many companies went bankrupt, right? Between all the liquidations and wholesales, it's not a surprise prices dipped suddenly. If that type of scam was being done, there's no reason it would stop. Yet, aside from stores making pricing mistakes, I haven't seen prices like 4000 pts @ $30 since.[/QUOTE]

My presumption is that that stopped because ebay cracked down on it. For one thing they later made a rule that auctions of gift cards/point cards could not deliver a code over email - a physical card had to be sent. After that the number of too good to be true auctions on point cards dropped, though they didn't disappear completely. A sign that it could be such a fraud is if the account is relatively new, because the scammers would sell for a while on one account, then move onto a different account.

Ppeople on messages boards I read had their iTunes accounts canceled due to this very thing. Generally, after contacting Apple they were able to get their accounts back, but lost the points they had left from the purchase. Mind you, I don't know the people personally, of course, but there wasn't any reason not to believe them that I could see.

[quote name='crunchewy']My presumption is that that stopped because ebay cracked down on it. For one thing they later made a rule that auctions of gift cards/point cards could not deliver a code over email - a physical card had to be sent. After that the number of too good to be true auctions on point cards dropped, though they didn't disappear completely. A sign that it could be such a fraud is if the account is relatively new, because the scammers would sell for a while on one account, then move onto a different account.

Ppeople on messages boards I read had their iTunes accounts canceled due to this very thing. Generally, after contacting Apple they were able to get their accounts back, but lost the points they had left from the purchase. Mind you, I don't know the people personally, of course, but there wasn't any reason not to believe them that I could see.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about the iTunes crowd, but myself and hundreds of CAGs bought the cheap ebay xbox point cards for 40% off or more and I have yet to hear one person with a canceled account or points removed.

I support the effort OP.
Good idea to have around when your subscription is running out and need a code ASAP, or when a good DotW appears on Live to make it even a sweeter deal with cheap points.

[quote name='vherub']

but if it is just ms, put it in the 360 forum[/QUOTE]

this sounds like the best idea, tho i admit i dont check the microsoft forum.

"The $40 deal only came with the 12-mo subscription but NOT with the points, but is currently on sale for $35 + tax."

I really don't think any Costco has the 12 mo card and points for $39.99. I think that was a mistake on someone's part. So far no one's reported seeing a subscription/points combo from Costco that's any less that $50 and I really think that's because there isn't one.

[quote name='nrfuller']"The $40 deal only came with the 12-mo subscription but NOT with the points, but is currently on sale for $35 + tax."

I really don't think any Costco has the 12 mo card and points for $39.99. I think that was a mistake on someone's part. So far no one's reported seeing a subscription/points combo from Costco that's any less that $50 and I really think that's because there isn't one.[/QUOTE]

cool thanks for the info edited my post--

[quote name='vherub']if there was a stickied thread, I'd vote for it to be for points for all systems, and included digital distribution deals for all systems and pc

but if it is just ms, put it in the 360 forum[/QUOTE]
So anything that is system specific should be put in their respective forums?

If this is actually updated, this thread would be very useful. Adding in PSN and Nintendo points deals wouldn't hurt either.

I think this is a great thread, and I'm mighty thankful of the OP for creating it. I had been looking around for cheaper MS points. The Dell-Amazon deal was the first I'd seen in awhile.

Thanks OP!

Thanks, OP; this thread is a winner in my book. Keep the thread updated, and I'll constantly be back, as I'm always in the need for points!

bread's done
Back