Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP) $9.99 w/Free Shipping at Newegg

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
[rightimg]http://www.cheapassgamer.com/images/game%20images/castlevaniax.jpg[/rightimg]Save $10 on this 3D remake of Castlevania: Rondo of Blood which features unlockable versions of Symphony of the Night and the original Rondo of Blood.

psp.gif
Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles $9.99

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='heyheyhey11']Is it greatest version? Then no[/QUOTE]

What are you referring to? Sentence structure and grammar, please.

[quote name='heyheyhey11']Is it greatest version? Then no[/QUOTE]

I'm playing through it right now, and actually yes, it is the greatest version.

For anyone on the fence, buy this game, it's fantastic. Just keep in mind that you do have to unlock both the original Rondo of Blood and Symphony of the Night, and the main game (Rondo of Blood remix) is fairly difficult.

I think he means Greatest Hits version. And the Symphony of the Night game doesn't have the original crappy voice over like the PSX counterpart does which I have been hesitant to get because of that.

[quote name='Kaiser499']I think he means Greatest Hits version. And the Symphony of the Night game doesn't have the original crappy voice over like the PSX counterpart does which I have been hesitant to get because of that.[/QUOTE]

Ahh, but some of us don't mind the 'crappy' voice acting as you describe it.
For any CAG that's not 15 years old, those lines are forever engraved in your head :).

At this price if you don't have, then get it. Keep in mind SOTN has a new translation, new voice actors, 2 new familiars and Maria as a playable Character. I like the main game as well though. :)

edit: dragonjud: "Die Monster, you don't belong in this world." :)

[quote name='Kaiser499']I think he means Greatest Hits version. And the Symphony of the Night game doesn't have the original crappy voice over like the PSX counterpart does which I have been hesitant to get because of that.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I knew what he meant. I have a tendancy to mess with people who don't understand the meaning of a sentence.

Besides, this really is the greatest version - it's Symphony of the Night for the PSP! :)

FYI, the Metal Slug Anthology for the PSP is $9.99 right now at newegg.com as well. Not sure if it's been this price for a while, but I had to pick it up.

Anyone know when the new Castlevania Bloodlines remake for PSP will be out? It was announced at E3 but I haven't seen anything on it since then.

this game is great. hard, especially this one bridge part which is like a death marathon.
i always thought the best one was the one for gameboy advance where you steal their souls and take their power. i cant recall the name but this game was the shit!

Thanks, ordered 1.
I have SOTN on LIVE, but always prefer portable CV.
GBA and DS have my favorite versions.

Thanks. I'm in for two, and also order Metal Slug Anthology and Mega Man Powered Up for ten bucks a piece. These guys have alot of 10 dollar PSP games with free shipping!

[quote name='mr_burnzz']this game is great. hard, especially this one bridge part which is like a death marathon.
i always thought the best one was the one for gameboy advance where you steal their souls and take their power. i cant recall the name but this game was the shit![/QUOTE]

I think you're talking about Aria of Sorrow. I tried making it through that, but after putting a ton of hours into Dawn of Sorrow (prior to it), it seemed like a step backwards.

[quote name='dragonjud']I think you're talking about Aria of Sorrow. I tried making it through that, but after putting a ton of hours into Dawn of Sorrow (prior to it), it seemed like a step backwards.[/QUOTE]

I've always found the game play the most enjoyable part about the Castlevania series. I'm sure the graphics on the DS are far superior to the GBA, but I loved the GBA Castlevania games. I do recall Circle of the Moon being more difficult than the other two.

Then again, I grew up playing the original NES Castlevania, so even the GBA versions were a step up graphically. I wonder how many hours of my childhood were spent trying to beat the Grim Reaper in the original one...

[quote name='AwRy108']For those of you that don't know: this UMD also contains a full version of Symphony of the Night (PSOne), the best 2D Castlevania ever made.[/QUOTE]

Just a matter of opinion... I'd personally put Order of Ecclesia, Portrait of Ruin, Dawn of Sorrow, Aria of Sorrow, and Circle of the Moon ahead of SotN.

[quote name='dragonjud']I think you're talking about Aria of Sorrow. I tried making it through that, but after putting a ton of hours into Dawn of Sorrow (prior to it), it seemed like a step backwards.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I have to say that Aria of Sorrow is one of my favorites because of all the different soul abilities, gear, and different weapons. I got it when it first released but I could see what you are saying about Dawn of Sorrow if you missed Aria and played through Dawn first. I could see why some classic Castlevania fans do not like them as much b/c it takes away the classic whip/secondary weapon gameplay but I really enjoyed the change to multiple abilities, weapons and such.

Also, this game is on the PSN for $14.99 as its regular price. I have been getting all my older games on PSN to get rid of my UMDs, so $15 download isnt bad if you are looking for the digital version. Many games are way overpriced, but this one is pretty good at only $15.

[quote name='zeb06']Also, this game is on the PSN for $14.99 as its regular price. I have been getting all my older games on PSN to get rid of my UMDs, so $15 download isnt bad if you are looking for the digital version. Many games are way overpriced, but this one is pretty good at only $15.[/QUOTE]

I received a PSPGo for Christmas and actually returned it in favor of a PSP 3000 simply b/c there's no good way to transfer UMD games to the Go (that I was able to find, at least). I already owned 50+ PSP games on UMD, so re-buying them at all higher prices and then not even receiving a physical copy of the games seemed ridiculous.

Besides, does the PSN Network let you permanently d/l games after you buy them? I wouldn't want to spend a few hundred dollars on downloads only to have something happen to the memory inside the Go and lose everything I bought.

[quote name='waxHead']I received a PSPGo for Christmas and actually returned it in favor of a PSP 3000 simply b/c there's no good way to transfer UMD games to the Go (that I was able to find, at least). I already owned 50+ PSP games on UMD, so re-buying them at all higher prices and then not even receiving a physical copy of the games seemed ridiculous.

Besides, does the PSN Network let you permanently d/l games after you buy them? I wouldn't want to spend a few hundred dollars on downloads only to have something happen to the memory inside the Go and lose everything I bought.[/QUOTE]

yes it does, unlimited downloads on 5 different machines

[quote name='waxHead']I received a PSPGo for Christmas and actually returned it in favor of a PSP 3000 simply b/c there's no good way to transfer UMD games to the Go (that I was able to find, at least). I already owned 50+ PSP games on UMD, so re-buying them at all higher prices and then not even receiving a physical copy of the games seemed ridiculous.

Besides, does the PSN Network let you permanently d/l games after you buy them? I wouldn't want to spend a few hundred dollars on downloads only to have something happen to the memory inside the Go and lose everything I bought.[/QUOTE]
Yeah lol, you can download them as many times as you want and you can share with up to 5 total consoles. I wasn't suggesting others buy all their collection, but for me I only had about 15 games on PSP so it has not been much of an issue at all. My brother and I usually split the price and both download them...so that makes most games cheaper for us haha. I personally never really liked many of the PSP games and the fact that they were on UMDs probably contributed to it too...never liked some of the loading times (though they got faster with new models) and I hated trying to carry around extra games. I love the digital downloads, but the only drawbacks for me are some games are overpriced and others simply havent been added yet. I just wanted to point out that Castlevania is on PSN at an actual decently priced $15.

[quote name='zeb06']Yeah lol, you can download them as many times as you want and you can share with up to 5 total consoles. I wasn't suggesting others buy all their collection, but for me I only had about 15 games on PSP so it has not been much of an issue at all. My brother and I usually split the price and both download them...so that makes most games cheaper for us haha. I personally never really liked many of the PSP games and the fact that they were on UMDs probably contributed to it too...never liked some of the loading times (though they got faster with new models) and I hated trying to carry around extra games. I love the digital downloads, but the only drawbacks for me are some games are overpriced and other simply havent been added yet. I just wanted to point out that Castlevania is on PSN at an actual decently priced $15.[/QUOTE]

It certainly sounds like the Go was the right choice for you (having so few UMDs), as I think the 3000 has worked out well for me.

In any case, I agree that this game is worth the $15 for the download, or $10 for the UMD.

Which version of SOTN would be the better one to play? The PSP one from this deal, or the XBL one?

I've never played it before. The last Castlevania game I played was Super Castlevania IV.

[quote name='Deefuzz']Which version of SOTN would be the better one to play? The PSP one from this deal, or the XBL one?

I've never played it before. The last Castlevania game I played was Super Castlevania IV.[/QUOTE]

If you have no interest in Rondo, the PS1 version.

If you don't care for audio fidelity and/or achievement whore, the XBLA version

If you have never played it, this version

I have completed all 3 and will forever stick with the PS1/Saturn versions but that's me. You can't go wrong

[quote name='Deefuzz']Which version of SOTN would be the better one to play? The PSP one from this deal, or the XBL one?

I've never played it before. The last Castlevania game I played was Super Castlevania IV.[/QUOTE]

Depends if you want it portable or not. I'd opt for the PSP version for 2 reasons: 1) portable; 2) looks better (sharper) on the smaller screen.

Either way, SotN is one of the best 2D games ever (...and much better than any of the DS versions IMHO, especially b/c of the inverted castle secret), and you need to play it if you haven't already.

[quote name='dragonjud']Ahh, but some of us don't mind the 'crappy' voice acting as you describe it.
For any CAG that's not 15 years old, those lines are forever engraved in your head :).[/QUOTE]

I didn't mean it in a bad way, I prefer the PSX version myself.

Right on, thanks for the advice jacknicklson and AwRy108. Just placed the order, I look forward to getting my butt kicked at Rondo of Blood so I can unlock SOTN.

[quote name='dragonjud']Ahh, but some of us don't mind the 'crappy' voice acting as you describe it.
For any CAG that's not 15 years old, those lines are forever engraved in your head :).[/QUOTE]

Well, there really isn't any other way to describe the voice acting. Well, awful comes to mind. There is a reason why they are engraved in your head. Classic game, and the humor from listening to the voice acting is icing on the cake.

[quote name='OnyxPrimal']At this price if you don't have, then get it. Keep in mind SOTN has a new translation, new voice actors, 2 new familiars and Maria as a playable Character.

[/QUOTE]

Hmm, sounds almost like the Japanese Saturn version of SOTN (which I own a copy of). Does it have the two bonus stages as well?

And its a shame I don't own a PSP, I'd snap this up in second if I did. I'm tempted enough now as it is....

[quote name='flameofdoom666']Whoever thinks SoTN is the best Castlevania has not played Order of Ecclesia. I have played EVERY castlevania from SoTN.[/QUOTE]

Well, I think it's all a matter of personal taste.

I was put off by the punishing difficulty of Order of Ecclessia simply because it felt like the programmers purposely increased the stamina of some common enemies or simply spammed them in certain areas. This made progression a frustrating chore, instead of just the usual chore of leveling up.

I enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow a lot more, but I still prefer SOTN out of all of them.

SotN will always be my favorite and I still consider it the pinnacle of the series though all the other metroidvanias are awesome as well(have beaten them all numerous times)

Just with SotN, I could play it any day of the week

[quote name='Hunter1671']They also have this for 9.99 at local Fry's stores for 9.99. Just got one.[/QUOTE]Thanks for the tip!

[quote name='dragonjud']Well, I think it's all a matter of personal taste.

I was put off by the punishing difficulty of Order of Ecclessia simply because it felt like the programmers purposely increased the stamina of some common enemies or simply spammed them in certain areas. This made progression a frustrating chore, instead of just the usual chore of leveling up.

I enjoyed Dawn of Sorrow a lot more, but I still prefer SOTN out of all of them.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I also thought the fetch questing in Order of Ecclessia was a lousy design choice, as well as the lack of one big cohesive castle.

SotN will always be the pinnacle of the series, especially for its soundtrack :applause:

[quote name='AwRy108']Agreed. I also thought the fetch questing in Order of Ecclessia was a lousy design choice, as well as the lack of one big cohesive castle.

SotN will always be the pinnacle of the series, especially for its soundtrack :applause:[/QUOTE]

Have you played Order of Ecclesia to completion? There is a big cohesive castle. The goal was to infuse both styles of Castlevania into one. The old "stage" based approach, with the newer "metroidvania" approach. It worked amazingly well.

Also, the music is to die for.

I will be honest. All 7 metroidvania games are some of the best in gaming. I personally thought that the handheld entries got better with time though. Each GBA game, was better than the last. And for me, each DS game was better than the last. SoTN, and the sorrows were my favorite. Order of Ecclesia is my new favorite :)

[quote name='flameofdoom666']
I will be honest. All 7 metroidvania games are some of the best in gaming. I personally thought that the handheld entries got better with time though. Each GBA game, was better than the last. And for me, each DS game was better than the last.[/QUOTE]

I agree with everything right here, but SotN will always be my favorite; although I'm certain that nostalgia is playing a role its ranking, too ;)

[quote name='AwRy108']I agree with everything right here, but SotN will always be my favorite; although I'm certain that nostalgia is playing a role its ranking, too ;)[/QUOTE]

Fair enough :whistle2:D

I hope the new 3D Castlevania that is going to have Alucard as the main character is good. I don't want the SoTN legacy tainted. The 3D ones are fun, but not nearly as good as the 2D games.

bread's done
Back