Fable II Platinum Hits (w/ DLC) - $27.99, Limited Edition $25.60 @ Amazon

BingoBrown

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
Update:
Limited Edition is $25.60
Platinum Hits (w/DLC) $27.99

More of a warm deal than a hot deal, I just recently learned about the release of Fable II Plantium Hits on January 6th. The cheapest I can find for it is at Amazon, for $27.99 with FSSS.

The Platinum Hits version includes the "See the Future" and "Knothole Island" DLC expansion packs, which cost a total of 1360 pts on Xbox Live. Better yet, for those of you with limited hard drive space available, this DLC is included on the Platinum Hits disc itself, so you won't need to download the content from Xbox Live with a token.

Here's a review of the Platinum Hits version on IGN: http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/106/1060444p1.html

Overall, $28 isn't a great price, considering it retails for only $30, but this is one of the best games for the 360, and the bonus DLC content really makes this Platinum Hits version shine.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='hollowfreak']So is the DLC only playable off of the disc or can you install it too, like Fallout 3?[/QUOTE]

Don't know for sure, but I'd guess that it's only playable off the disc.

[quote name='hollowfreak']So is the DLC only playable off of the disc or can you install it too, like Fallout 3?[/QUOTE]
According to IGN, you play everything off of the disc.

As a fairly new 360 owner I can't wait to play this game. I've been waiting for this edition to come out.

Damn. I just picked up Fable II for $7.50 at Target.

Guess even if I buy the DLC I'll still come out ahead, but it'd be nice to have it all in one package.

Wal Mart has the regular version for 20, but I'll have a 15 dollar gift card to them in bout two weeks so I'd be paying five out the door. Here's hopin

The See the Future DLC was pretty lame(especially now that we all know what Fable 3 is) but Knothole Island was very good. They both have some decent content and fun achievements to hunt down.

I'mNotTrading;6726118]Wal Mart has the regular version for 20 said:
Just use your gift card on the Platinum Hits version so you make sure you get the game+DLC for cheap instead of just the game. If you're hooked on the game like some people get once they start playing it, you'll definitely want to buy the DLC.

[quote name='BingoBrown']qid=1263394876&sr=1-3[/URL]

this is one of the best games for the 360[/QUOTE]

:roll:

Fable II was/is the biggest disappointment of a game this generation. Think about the narrow pathways, secluded areas & the most idiotic "gesture" system I have ever seen.

Fable fails as an rpg, adventure game & so much more. Simply horrible game....

[quote name='tears2040']:roll:

Fable II was/is the biggest disappointment of a game this generation. Think about the narrow pathways, secluded areas & the most idiotic "gesture" system I have ever seen.

Fable fails as an rpg, adventure game & so much more. Simply horrible game....[/QUOTE]

Everything about this post is wrong. All 7 billion people on Earth disagree with you.

I traded in my copy of the regular edition during the gamestop "get $20 for any game on the list" promo at the start of the month. I had not gotten any of the DLC so we'll be picking this up. The wife and I both love it.

Fable 2 was disappointing, bought it day 1 and it didn't live up to the Lost Chapters. The poster who just criticized it is right on the money. Who cares what the metacritic rating is ... These are the same people that allowed Transformers 2 to become a blockbuster.

Fable 2 was a step backward for the series ... with that said, I'm still oddly tempted to pick this up just to run around in that Master Chief outfit ... But not because it's a particularly great game. Does anyone know if they fixed the awful laggy menus and controls that were problematic when the game first came out?

[quote name='etcrane']Fable 2 was disappointing, bought it day 1 and it didn't live up to the Lost Chapters. The poster who just criticized it is right on the money. Who cares what the metacritic rating is ... These are the same people that allowed Transformers 2 to become a blockbuster.[/QUOTE]

Hmmmm, Metacritic rating for Transformers 2 from critics is an abysmal 35/100, and the user score on the movie is 5.9/10. The people who paid to see the movie and made it a blockbuster are the "users."

I agree that critics can often get things wrong, but popular opinion is equally likely, if not more likely, to get things wrong.

In regards to Tf2 I was referring to the billions it made, even though it was terrible. In regards to Fable 2, I just don't understand the love that some folks have for the game. I think it's finally balancing out now, but I know whenit first came out I was in a minority that wasn't impressed. Frankly the game has a weaker plot, fewer boss battles, fewer developed characters and fewer enemies than the lost chapters.

I think my problem is that I bought TLC to psych myself up for two and then that actually turned out to be a better game. They added too much of the Sims to 2 and took out most of the story and actual RPG feel to make me give it a strong recommendation. Granted, at $20 it would still be worth picking up just to mess around with IMO.

Definitely getting this. I was a moron and deleted my game data for Fable II in 2008 after I got all the retail achievements. Now I have to beat the game again to do the DLC =\

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Walmart.com has Fable II Game of the Year Edition. It was released in Europe quite a while ago but apparently it's also being released in the US. Exact same content as the platinum hits version BUT it the art work isn't redish rather it's a green color and doesn't have that gray platinum hits box.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.justpushstart.com/2010/0...-year-edition-now-available-in-north-america/[/QUOTE]This is probably just some confusion on the part of walmart.com's web team. I'm guessing all orders will be filled with the Platinum Hits version.

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Walmart.com has Fable II Game of the Year Edition. It was released in Europe quite a while ago but apparently it's also being released in the US. Exact same content as the platinum hits version BUT it the art work isn't redish rather it's a green color and doesn't have that gray platinum hits box.

Here's a link to the article:

http://www.justpushstart.com/2010/0...-year-edition-now-available-in-north-america/[/QUOTE]

Hmmm...Has anyone actually seen this out in the wild? Seems odd that they would release the same disc in two different packages in the States. I did find it on the WalMart site, but it says it's not available in stores and the box art they show is from the European release. Makes me wonder if they're just selling the Platinum Hits version like everyone else and just grabbed the wrong box art.

[quote name='BingoBrown']94 game critics disagree with you. 89/100 on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/fable2?q=fable ii[/QUOTE]

I don't though, I completely agree with what he said. I hated Fable II with a passion, and I've started playing it like 5 times, I wanted to love it so badly (loved the first one). I can't even quantify why I hate it so much, since on the surface its not a bad game, it just disappointed me on every possible level.

I agree it is not all that but i did enjoy it. I bought both dlc but at that point i got bored with it so i never even played the 2nd dlc and about a hour of the 1st. I switched to other games and tried to go back thinking the 2 new dlc would make me enjoy it again but i did not. I guess i was spoiled with games like dragon age and stuff like that.

I think fable 2 is one of the best rpg's for families and younger people for the most part. I am an adult and i did enjoy it for awhile. It did have some really cool moments and the fighting was fun. I will admit i liked collecting the woman in the game and having kids. Muhahaha

I'm debating on picking this up or not. I bought it at launch and just couldn't get into it and traded it in like a week after it came out. I might give it a second chance.

[quote name='LordVila']I'm debating on picking this up or not. I bought it at launch and just couldn't get into it and traded it in like a week after it came out. I might give it a second chance.[/QUOTE]

This!

I wanted to like the game, but didnt really get into it. I want to give it another try, but their have been so many games I liked better that I've passed. I think I'll wait a little longer still.

[quote name='Tybee']Hmmm...Has anyone actually seen this out in the wild? Seems odd that they would release the same disc in two different packages in the States. I did find it on the WalMart site, but it says it's not available in stores and the box art they show is from the European release. Makes me wonder if they're just selling the Platinum Hits version like everyone else and just grabbed the wrong box art.[/QUOTE]

I've seen it at Gamestop ... and it's actually the red packaging, not green like the websites have been showing (but you'll know it's the right one by the mention of the DLC on the cover). Thus far it hasn't appeared on Best Buy or Target's websites, nor is it sold in store at Walmart. Basically the only place I've seen it in the wild was Gamestop and they each had 1 copy ... which had been opened as a 'display' (fuck you Gamestop).

While my discontentment with this game remains, I'll probably pick it up when it becomes more common, as normally happens with Platinum Hits over time. I had hoped to pick it up for $20 by taking advantage of the BB pre-order deal that gives $10 off $29.99 and up ... but I don't think that's going to happen.

[quote name='tlwizard']I don't know if you're joking or not, but those are the same exact items. Amazon has the GOTY/Platinum Hits for $27.99.[/QUOTE]I'm not joking. I'm rather certain that the DLC is not included with the Platinum Hits version. None of the descriptions I've found even hint that it is. The official site even lists the DLC as available for the Platinum Hits version. http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/f/fable2/

$19.99 at Best Buy on their website ... print it out and then see if you can price match in store (assuming they've received actual Platinum Hits copies). So it looks like Best Buy will be carrying this version ... but I would print this out now, as I'm sure once they realize they're selling the PH version for $10 less, they'll correct it.

I'm tempted to order in store, but I know I'll end up with the non PH version if I do and then have to cause a big stink about it.

Link- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fable+I...439.p?id=1142299958611&skuId=7849439&st=fable

[quote name='etcrane']$19.99 at Best Buy on their website ... print it out and then see if you can price match in store (assuming they've received actual Platinum Hits copies). So it looks like Best Buy will be carrying this version ... but I would print this out now, as I'm sure once they realize they're selling the PH version for $10 less, they'll correct it.

I'm tempted to order in store, but I know I'll end up with the non PH version if I do and then have to cause a big stink about it.

Link- http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Fable+I...439.p?id=1142299958611&skuId=7849439&st=fable[/QUOTE]

Nice find. I don't know why you wouldn't just go ahead and order this (in store or otherwise) since it clearly says it's the PH edition. No experience price matching to Best Buys website with printouts though so maybe that's just as effective.

I price matched a new Ipod the other day with a printout from their website. Shouldn't be a problem.

bread's done
Back