60GB - No Sound - No Video - No Recovery - No Hope?

Access_Denied

CAGiversary!
Feedback
89 (100%)
About 20 minutes ago, I was playing my 60GB PS3 when it just froze. I tried to turn it back on, but I got no signal. (Using composite) Tried resetting the video settings countless times with no luck. I tried the recovery menu with no luck. And just before I posted this, I finally got some video out of it. All I saw was a message box that said "Please Wait", then it froze, and that was the last I saw out of it. The lights are blue and green, not red or yellow, I can eject/insert discs just fine, the yellow HDD indicator comes on, and I can't connect any controllers, even with USB.

Is there any hope, or should I just mourn my loss and buy a Slim?

First off, composite? Really? Do you mean component?

Have you done a hard reset? It sounds like your system is working (since both the blue/green lights are on). How are you going about resetting the video?

you could try swapping out your current Hard Drive with another. Installing a HDD the PS3 will install it's OS on teh new drive. if this works, then your OS got corrupted on your original Hard drive. if this doesn't work, it's a hardware failure, and you might want to consider getting it repaired, unless you don't mind losing backwards compatibility, and the ability to install linux by getting a slim.

Yes, I do mean composite. I usually use HDMI, but I'm at home for break, and I left my HDTV at college. (37" is too much to bring home. :p) Also, I just turned it on after a 15 minute break, and I got the XMB for about 10 seconds before it froze. I'm thinking that it's an overheating problem. I'm going to open it up and replace the thermal compound. (Just got some Arctic Silver yesterday.) I'll let you know how that goes.

EDIT: Before taking it apart, I'm going to wait a half and hour then attempt some of the recovery menu options. See what that does.

OP, before you crack open the system, you may want to attempt something like this.

Be sure to backup your settings/games saves by doing a System > Backup on your PS3 or you may lose your game saves! Also, this is a last resort procedure prior to exchanging/returning to sony.
1. Power Off the PS3 via the power switch in back and power back on w/switch.
2. Hold Power Button on the Front until you hear 3 beeps.
3. Then go through the initial setup and then run a full Format via System > Format. (will take approx 3 1/1 hours). You may need to have our AV cables ready if your using HDMI (in case HDMI isn’t detected after initial reset).
4. Restore your backup you made prior to doing factory/hard reset (optional, if you created a backup).

I can't get the PS3 to actually stay on long enough to do any of that. The most I get is 20 to 30 seconds before it freezes again, even in the recovery menu. I've had a PS3 before that had graphical and overheating issues, and I fixed it by replacing the thermal paste. So I'm going to try that.

Sounds similar to what I had....sorta

Good luck fixing it and I mean that

I got a slim for now
As for my 60 gb I'm using a guy online who came recommend from a fellow CAG to fix it for $65, I'll get my data and sell the bastard

Let me know if you want more info if you can't fix it

Well, I replaced the thermal compound, but no luck. I can't get anything out of it now. (On a side note, does thermal paste expire? Somebody gave me some, and it had to be at least 3 years old, but it looked OK.) Anyway, I'm thinking about selling it on eBay then buying a Slim. I have a PS2, so the only thing I'll be 'missing' is Linux.

Anybody know of a way to recover my data? Can I put the hard drive in a PC? Or maybe another PS3?

EDIT: It seems as if there's no way to recover my data. I hope my most recent trophies got updated. There's probably a way to fix this, but I'm not going to spend $80 to squeeze 2 more years out of it. I'd rather sell it and pay $200 to get another 10 years out of a slim.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='kube00']Sounds similar to what I had....sorta

Good luck fixing it and I mean that

I got a slim for now
As for my 60 gb I'm using a guy online who came recommend from a fellow CAG to fix it for $65, I'll get my data and sell the bastard

Let me know if you want more info if you can't fix it[/QUOTE]

Link ?

[quote name='mtxbass1']Is it powering on anymore?[/QUOTE]

Yup, exact same symptoms as before. It powers on just fine, but no sound or video, and I can't sync any controllers. And every time I turn it on, the screen flickers a bit like the PS3 is trying to output video, but then nothing happens.

And it's not outputting any kind of video signal, because if my TV detects any kind of signal, the 'AUX' thing in the corner goes away. It flickers and that's all I get.

And the weird thing is, it seems to be cooling properly. The fan runs on low, then cycles higher if I cover up the vent holes.

Does anybody know if the rumor about trading in a broken console plus $125 for a new slim is true? I believe it was mentioned in the new price hike thread, and I saw one other CAG mention it.

[quote name='Access_Denied']
Does anybody know if the rumor about trading in a broken console plus $125 for a new slim is true? I believe it was mentioned in the new price hike thread, and I saw one other CAG mention it.[/QUOTE]

I had a 60GB that froze and then would not read any type of discs. It powered up and I could play downloaded games, but no discs. I assume the disc drive went bad. Happened about a month ago. I talked to Sony and they said if I shipped the system to them, and they charged my $150 I would get a refurb 120 GB slim. I almost did that until I found what broken 60GB's were going for on ebay. I know I had a different problem than you, but I listed it on ebay and sold it for $160. I found a great deal on a 2 month old slim on Craigslist.

Sounds like you either got a Corrupted System file or GPU failure. If I was you I would have call Sony first. What you can really do now is sell it on ebay (if anyone will even buy it) and get a new console and hopefully you will treat this new one better =p

[quote name='luan87us']Sounds like you either got a Corrupted System file or GPU failure. If I was you I would have call Sony first. What you can really do now is sell it on ebay (if anyone will even buy it) and get a new console and hopefully you will treat this new one better =p[/QUOTE]

Where did he or she imply that they treated the system badly?

Anyway, condolences, OP.

[quote name='luan87us']Sounds like you either got a Corrupted System file or GPU failure. If I was you I would have call Sony first. What you can really do now is sell it on ebay (if anyone will even buy it) and get a new console and hopefully you will treat this new one better =p[/QUOTE]

It's not a corrupted file system, as booting from the recover menu would solve that, which it didn't. It's most likely GPU failure. The GPU looked like it had gotten pretty hot, since all of the markings on it were faded, and they weren't on the CPU. And calling Sony wouldn't have done anything. The system is 3 years out of warranty, they would have told me to do a bunch of BS that wouldn't have solved anything. Also, I have no idea how this system was treated. Got from a fellow CAG in July and didn't start using it until October. And it's been well taken care of in my hands.

Looks like you are going to have to replace it as it seems to be the same thing that happened to mind. Seemed like it was working right, with the lights and drive all functioning but couldn't see what was happening.

When you can, definitely try HDMI. The composite/components connectors on the console have been known for going out on the 60Gb. Your console probably still works, but you will have to use it with HDMI for now on. The only fix would be to send it in to Sony. Its waaaay too much work to fix the composite/component connectors on a PS3.

When I was buying a used 60Gb PS3 at Vintage Stock this summer, I had them test it out in front of me and it worked. When I got home and tested it out on a SDTV, it didn't work but the console booted up. After several tries, I went back to the store and it worked on their TV which was using a HDMI connection. The guy then tested the console with the composite cables and there was no picture or sound. I was able to get it exchanged for another one and it has been working great ever since. Now, if only I can get the damn scratches off the top of my PS3.

Testing on HDMI when you get back home is actually a good idea. I was going to suggest that earlier. Maybe your system is "stuck" in the HDMI settings you had originally or some BS...

When I said better take better care that wasn't meant as an insult or anything as you can see there was a little "=p" after it. That probably implied I was joking about that.

Anyway back to topic, you most possibly right about the GPU failure. A friend of mine has a 60GB and his GPU is crapping out too but not as bad as you. His is just starting to show graphical glitches.

To everyone else the main problem is that his PS3 would freeze shortly after it starts the XMB so I doubt switch back to HDMI would help in anyway. And you can always reset the PS3 to use the Composite output by holding the power button for a few second.

Yeah pretty sure the GPU is the issue too. Just I find it odd that i isn't coming up as a hardware failure. Then again, mine didn't either.

[quote name='4tygames']When you can, definitely try HDMI. The composite/components connectors on the console have been known for going out on the 60Gb. Your console probably still works, but you will have to use it with HDMI for now on. The only fix would be to send it in to Sony. Its waaaay too much work to fix the composite/component connectors on a PS3.

When I was buying a used 60Gb PS3 at Vintage Stock this summer, I had them test it out in front of me and it worked. When I got home and tested it out on a SDTV, it didn't work but the console booted up. After several tries, I went back to the store and it worked on their TV which was using a HDMI connection. The guy then tested the console with the composite cables and there was no picture or sound. I was able to get it exchanged for another one and it has been working great ever since. Now, if only I can get the damn scratches off the top of my PS3.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking about that, but that doesn't really explain why the controllers won't sync. Or maybe they're not syncing because the PS3 won't boot up because it detects that there's no video device. Either way, I'll try HDMI when I get back to college.

On the bright side, I had a friend who heard of my problem, and bought me a brand new PS3 Slim. Can't thank him enough.

Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I'll be trying HDMI on Monday. Hopefully it'll work. I'll let you guys know, that way when this happens to another person, they don't rush out and do something drastic like start taking it apart. :p

[quote name='Access_Denied']Anyway, thanks for your suggestions. I'll be trying HDMI on Monday. Hopefully it'll work. I'll let you guys know, that way when this happens to another person, they don't rush out and do something drastic like start taking it apart. :p[/QUOTE]

Doubt it will work because the same thing happened to me already like I said. Never figured it out, but vote for something wrong with the GPU. As I was having graphical issues before hand. Just... There is no hardware failure signal (yellow light) which throws me off to this day.

I don't know if this was ever debunked but there was a rumor about Sony offering to upgrade broken 60's to a slim for $180. That would be a good route if its true, like I said I really never read anything to prove it was accurate but you could call and find out.

[quote name='gindias']I don't know if this was ever debunked but there was a rumor about Sony offering to upgrade broken 60's to a slim for $180. That would be a good route if its true, like I said I really never read anything to prove it was accurate but you could call and find out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I mentioned this earlier in the thread. I'm almost positive it's true, and it's only $140. However, as I also mentioned, a friend bought me a new PS3, so I'm going to experiment on this one. :D

Well, tested it today, and no luck. My HD TV says "Not a supported format". That means it's sending out a signal, but it's broken/corrupted. I imagine that the GPU is bad. As I said, it looked like it got pretty hot. But, I'll throw it on eBay, and we'll see what happens.

And my friend has been my dad's friend for 30 years, and now we're really good friends. He would do anything got me, and I would do the same. (Although, with his wallet, he can do a lot more. ;) ) And I'm glad he did buy it for me, because my last 360 just got the RROD earlier.

Dead 360s: 3
Dead PS3s: 1

I know which console I won't be buying another of. If this 360 dies again, out of warranty, I'll throw it away and never look back.

Anyway, thanks for your help with the PS3. Too bad it couldn't be saved. :cry:

[quote name='Access_Denied']Well, tested it today, and no luck. My HD TV says "Not a supported format". That means it's sending out a signal, but it's broken/corrupted. I imagine that the GPU is bad. As I said, it looked like it got pretty hot. But, I'll throw it on eBay, and we'll see what happens.

And my friend has been my dad's friend for 30 years, and now we're really good friends. He would do anything got me, and I would do the same. (Although, with his wallet, he can do a lot more. ;) ) And I'm glad he did buy it for me, because my last 360 just got the RROD earlier.

Dead 360s: 3
Dead PS3s: 1

I know which console I won't be buying another of. If this 360 dies again, out of warranty, I'll throw it away and never look back.

Anyway, thanks for your help with the PS3. Too bad it couldn't be saved. :cry:[/QUOTE]

Curious, did you make sure you reset the output on the system to HDMI?

bread's done
Back