Target Weekly Ad: January 17-23, 2010

blockbusterdude

CAGiversary!
*Thanks to snausages at DVDTalk.com

New Releases (DVD/Blu-ray)
  • Gamer - $16.99/$22.99
  • Weeds Season 5 - -$24.99/$24.99
  • The Bourne Identity - $14.99 (Includes Blu-ray & DVD)
  • The Bourne Supremacy - $14.99 (Includes Blu-ray & DVD)
  • The Bourne Ultimatum - $14.99 (Includes Blu-ray & DVD)
  • Damages Season 2 - $24.99 (DVD)
  • Pandorum - $17.99/$19.99
  • Whiteout - $19.99/$24.99
  • The Invention of Lying - $17.99/$24.99
  • Smokin’ Aces 2 - $17.99/$22.99
  • Smokin’ Aces - $17.99 (Blu-ray)

Last edited by a moderator:
So the bourne movies sold individually are cheaper than the trilogy, which is 65.99 on amazon....

Does anyone know if the trilogy pack includes anything special? Might buy the movies separately and save a little money.

EDIT: THanks op for posting this...

[quote name='AceBB6']So the bourne movies sold individually are cheaper than the trilogy, which is 65.99 on amazon....

Does anyone know if the trilogy pack includes anything special? Might buy the movies separately and save a little money.

EDIT: THanks op for posting this...[/QUOTE]

Not only are the individual Bournes cheaper than getting the set, but you also get DVD copies as well. So basically six discs cheaper than the three because as far as I know there are no extra discs or anything else involved with the box set.

EDIT: Actually, the boxes of individual Bournes say both versions on one disc. So they may be DualDisc/flipper discs...

The Bourne Blu-rays are double sided discs, blu on one, dvd on the other. Universal is going to start this with alot of their movies. I hoped it had died with HD-DVD but I guess not.

[quote name='JVorhees#1']The Bourne Blu-rays are double sided discs, blu on one, dvd on the other. Universal is going to start this with alot of their movies. I hoped it had died with HD-DVD but I guess not.[/QUOTE]

Do a lot of people have problems with these? I didn't own a lot of HD-DVDs that were flippers so I don't have experience with them.

off topic but just but just a heads up to you guys.... as of today, the $5 off blu-ray coupon is still working.

[quote name='dvdactor']Not only are the individual Bournes cheaper than getting the set, but you also get DVD copies as well. So basically six discs cheaper than the three because as far as I know there are no extra discs or anything else involved with the box set.

EDIT: Actually, the boxes of individual Bournes say both versions on one disc. So they may be DualDisc/flipper discs...[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up. Appreciate it.

[quote name='JVorhees#1']The Bourne Blu-rays are double sided discs, blu on one, dvd on the other. Universal is going to start this with alot of their movies. I hoped it had died with HD-DVD but I guess not.[/QUOTE]

I have never heard good things about those......

I had problems with probably 33-50% of the HD-DVD combo discs I owned. Had to play all of them through ASAP (even if I wasn't really 'ready' to watch the movie) to make sure they didn't skip/die/etc mid-movie, and it seemed like more often than not I had to return them.

I really thought they would've learned their lesson, and I think this move really sucks... hopefully they've figured out how to make a working flippable disc. (and if it's anything like the HDDVD combos, the issue isn't the DVD side, it was the HD side-- so when people 'upgrade' and their discs suddenly don't work [due to a crappy product] it'll look like Bluray sucks)

[quote name='AceBB6']Are there any differences in the UK vs US versions of various films?

I really want the Godfather collection from amazon.co.uk but have been reading bad user reviews about bad discs.

-Ace[/QUOTE]

Not all UK blus will play on US players, but this bourne set will because it's region free. Your best bet to find out is probabyl to google whether such and such is region free, or ask on here or another Blu-ray forum.

There was a thread about this Bourne set a while back, and from what I've gathered, the only difference betweeni is different (crappier) outer packaging (though the artwork looks better imo), and some sort of different subtitling of the movie.

Check out the thread about it: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244709&highlight=bourne

[quote name='41down']off topic but just but just a heads up to you guys.... as of today, the $5 off blu-ray coupon is still working.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure...Where can I find the coupon...Thanks in advance..

[quote name='Justin42']I had problems with probably 33-50% of the HD-DVD combo discs I owned. Had to play all of them through ASAP (even if I wasn't really 'ready' to watch the movie) to make sure they didn't skip/die/etc mid-movie, and it seemed like more often than not I had to return them.

I really thought they would've learned their lesson, and I think this move really sucks... hopefully they've figured out how to make a working flippable disc. (and if it's anything like the HDDVD combos, the issue isn't the DVD side, it was the HD side-- so when people 'upgrade' and their discs suddenly don't work [due to a crappy product] it'll look like Bluray sucks)[/QUOTE]
Bill Hunt at the thedigitalbits is pissed about the flippers too.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/mytwocentsa174.html#120209

Looks like I'll be avoiding Universal releases for a while.

[quote name='ssjmichael']Not all UK blus will play on US players, but this bourne set will because it's region free. Your best bet to find out is probabyl to google whether such and such is region free, or ask on here or another Blu-ray forum.

There was a thread about this Bourne set a while back, and from what I've gathered, the only difference betweeni is different (crappier) outer packaging (though the artwork looks better imo), and some sort of different subtitling of the movie.

Check out the thread about it: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=244709&highlight=bourne[/QUOTE]

Cool, Will check it out. Thanks.

I had Smokin Aces and The Hitcher on HD DVD combo format and both would not play 100% correctly on the HD DVD side =(

To be fair I probably have 20-30 more combo format HD DVDs that all work perfect and I've heard that issues were player based, so if I had a more expensive HD DVD player they might work just fine.

I think the problem with the HDDVD combos were the discs-- the glue holding them together just didn't work right, got separated slightly causing optical problems, etc. Better players MIGHT have better transports but keep in mind, 99% of HDDVD players were all Toshibas and they used basically the same optical parts to read the discs.

They're just trying to find a solution to a huge revenue problem-- in their heads. I'm sure they're concerned about providing an "extra" DVD that would mean someone could just give the disc away to a friend and keep the Bluray, so instead of just accepting that reality, they make this fancy flip disc and will just deal with people who's discs go bad-- for a limited time, and good luck with a replacement if you check it in 2 years and it's dead.

I like getting a standard DVD when I buy a Bluray (much prefer that to a "digital copy") but honestly, I'd rather get neither than get a Combo disc.

bread's done
Back