Target Trade in Program

[quote name='zaw73']
and before you look they give $4.87 for Fable II...;)[/QUOTE]

Actually they will give you $7.87 if the game is in good condition, has original case and art work.
Compared to Amazon giving you $5.25.
A lot of other games are priced below what Amazon would give.
Not really a place I would trade games, but at least there is starting to be more competition out there for the used game market.

Their pricing and selection sucks ass. They'll give you $8.97 for a new and sealed copy of Uncharted, and $8.55 for an opened version. Terrible

You know... with all these different stores now accepting trade ins (Amazon, TRU, BBY) in addition to the usual places (GS, GC), you'd think they would offer more reasonable trade in values. But they don't.

The weirdest thing here is they accept trade-ins of PC games. How exactly do you trade-in a used copy of World of Warcraft (or one of its expansions)?

Looks like these guys are not looking to be a used game seller, but a waste controller. This would be the place for unwanted electronics and accessories that are in working order. Not game trades.
Only 22 bucks for a 4th gen working ipod nano with regular wear.

[quote name='goateesox']Looks like these guys are not looking to be a used game seller, but a waste controller. This would be the place for unwanted electronics and accessories that are in working order. Not game trades.
Only 22 bucks for a 4th gen working ipod nano with regular wear.[/QUOTE]

They sell the used iPods on ebay. and for a lot more than $22: http://stores.ebay.com/NextWorth

I have a bunch of games I can't get more then $5 for them, like Blue Dragon and Alone in the Dark off the top of my head. It looks like Target is offering less then $2.

Yeah, terrible selection (Searched for Fight Night Round 4, Need for Speed Shift PS3, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2 360 - nothing came up) and not Target. Pass.

I've been buying/selling games on craigslist. Don't see myself ever using a reseller (at least to sell games).

That pokemon platinum is absolutely hilarious. It takes A LONG TIME to get all those pokemon on the game legally, and if you have them on the game, you can get A LOT more for the game on ebay

one strange thing is that they accept used PC games, including games like Orange Box that once the code is used up the discs are 100% unusable.

Sounds like the program is a bust at the moment, but (assuming like most of the other stores they are giving gift cards) I would like for this to work well in the long run. Unlike BB and TRU, at least you can turn that gift card money into shit you need around the house.

Problem is, this company has been around for awhile. They aren't gonna change. They apparently mask their pitifully low TIVs by acting like they are doing you a favor by "recycling" (ie, selling them for a big profit) your old stuff.

That's a strange program, and like others have said, the fact that they accept PC games which have CD-keys that tie the game to an account is a little odd. Also, games like Orange Box and Left 4 Dead didn't even come with a real manual, yet not including the "original artwork" (presumably manual?) knocks $2 off the trade in value.

But it's obvious that they aren't going through every single item and individually determining what's a competitive price for them or even whether or not they can actually be resold. They're just dumping game titles into a database and giving each an estimated value that they think they'll be able to get a markup on. If they're basing it off of retail store's prices at all, many of the games will have pitiful trade-in values since many of the titles went on clearance for pretty darn low. No surprise that they'd only give 70 cents on a sealed copy of Final Fantasy Tactics for the PSP when Target stores were selling it for $5 new...they're probably assuming they'd only be getting a few dollars markup off of it.

You guys seem to forget that that the only reason they buy games is to resell them.

Target, Amazon, nor Best Buy are game collectors like most of us are.

A lot of us seem to think that our games are worth more than they actually are. Just last week I bought a bunch of last-gen PS3 games at Hastings (about 20 of them) and spent right about $100...these are titles like "Lair", "Infamous", "Fracture", etc. 20 PS3 games!

I've been checking Ebay out also and video games aren't selling as good as they used to. The newer games are still fetching $40+, but older titles, you'd be lucky to get $10, let alone $20 for a SEALED copy of it.

Combine that with the way the economy is (people are selling whatever they can for money!) and we'll see more and more stores buying up used games, movies, etc. to resell.

Just makes good business sense.

[quote name='tigernut']I've been buying/selling games on craigslist. Don't see myself ever using a reseller (at least to sell games).[/QUOTE]

CL in your area must be much better in your area than my area, bunch of a holes in my area

[quote name='GraftonWVDiskExchang']You guys seem to forget that that the only reason they buy games is to resell them.

Target, Amazon, nor Best Buy are game collectors like most of us are.

A lot of us seem to think that our games are worth more than they actually are. Just last week I bought a bunch of last-gen PS3 games at Hastings (about 20 of them) and spent right about $100...these are titles like "Lair", "Infamous", "Fracture", etc. 20 PS3 games!

I've been checking Ebay out also and video games aren't selling as good as they used to. The newer games are still fetching $40+, but older titles, you'd be lucky to get $10, let alone $20 for a SEALED copy of it.

Combine that with the way the economy is (people are selling whatever they can for money!) and we'll see more and more stores buying up used games, movies, etc. to resell.

Just makes good business sense.[/QUOTE]

Your post would generally be valid. I see plenty of people on these boards not understand how the used game market works. They thing GS or Amazon should give what they paid for the game. So, the point you're making is true, but in this case, it's not. What people are saying in this thread has little to do with them overvaluing their used games. The values this business is giving are beyond a joke. Like the Pokemon game someone posted. $2 for the game, plus having it be completely beaten, is an absolute ripoff. Actually, it's way beyond that. There's a difference between turning a profit and insulting people's intelligence. There TIVs are not even close to being competitive with other businesses.

I just checked some values and they don't seem that bad anymore. This could definitely be worth looking into for trading some games. Not all your games, but select ones that get pretty decent value.

Hey, they take cell phones too.

I have like 4 old cell phones sitting around I can't do anything with. Might end up trading them in and getting something for them.

Only one that might be worth money on ebay is my Storm....thank god I'm getting an Incredible, I can't stand this god damned thing one more minute than I have to.

Some prices aren't that bad. For example, Star Fox Command trades in for $0.25 (not a typo) at Amazon but Target gives $5.84 for it. And Target gift cards are a lot more useful than a GameStop or Best Buy gift card since you can buy food and other necessities.

bread's done
Back