- - - - -

CAG Star Trek Online Fleet/game discussion thread

#31 Warn3rv3   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   105 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Warn3rv3

Posted 17 January 2010 - 01:33 AM

Sadly part of the reason hellgate failed is BECAUSE of its business model. Don't get me wrong. it ultimately failed because the game SUCKED but the business model didnt help.

Does Bill Roper have his hands in Star Trek online? I know he works for Cryptic Now..after playing Hellgate London and creating flagshipped.com (Gapes) for that mess of a game I'd stay far away from anything that guy has his hands in.

Remember they offered lifetime subs for Hellgate:London and that game didn't last a year.

#32 Admiral Moo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   530 Posts   Joined 11.4 Years Ago  

Admiral Moo

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:56 AM

I have played the open beta and despite some technical issues, I've been having a blast. I have never subscribed to this kind of game before, but I have played the open betas for several. This is the first one I have found to make a little bit more sense to me.

I don't even mind the grinding XP because the missions have been pretty varied with different types of enemies. In Champions Online I just kept killing the same thing over and over.

Today, I just warped into a planet, knocked out a group of Klingon raiders with some team mates, beamed down with them and fought our way up a hill to a monastery before finding our bad guy, chasing him, beaming back to our ship before shooting his out of space. Awesome.

#33 uricmu   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   212 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 03:05 AM

Are there any places to download the Beta that aren't fileplanet?
I'd rather finish the download before the 25th century.

#34 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:26 AM

Thanks for posting the info on this, eastx. But I'm definitely going to pass, since every preview I've seen said I have to choose a side and I can't just go around being a rogue/mercenary and just cause complete havoc.

Of course, the monthly fee(s) are also a major obstacle, since I still refuse to pay to play online aside from my internet fees.

I really wish they'd make a game(whether MMO or not) where you could just do your own thing and not have to pick sides. THAT would be my ultimate dream game. Of course, it couldn't be a turn based title or I'd hate it for that aspect as well.

#35 mblackwl   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   73 Posts   Joined 14.8 Years Ago  

mblackwl

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:40 AM

Dang, I was hoping somebody'd be interested in Star Trek Online. At least there was some discussion, though.

The complainers are always louder than the folks who like it. I appreciated the info, even though there's no chance that I'll be able to pick up a lifetime before Feb 1. Oh well.

#36 IronsideGrunt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   655 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

IronsideGrunt

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:57 AM

I'm an MMO player, and I'd never buy a lifetime subscription to any game without playing it first.

I'm also very reluctant to pay any kind of monthly fees without giving the game a free trial first. There are plenty of MMOs out there that are so gawdawful that you won't make it past the trial stage anyways.

Awe man this post was awesome :applause:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I have tried to get a beta key and so far have failed.

There is no way I'd invest any amount of cash without trying it out first.

#37 Ocajavati   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   273 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Ocajavati

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:55 AM

i would never trust a lifetime subscription on any mmo besides a blizzard based game. hell, look at hellgate london =\.

That.

Most companies are just not committed enough to their games. Development halts, profits go down, and then the game is just dead entirely. :drool:

Pretty confident that this game will end up being total shit. Not enough time in development. Star Trek MMO is nothing more than a gimmick to rip people off, and will probably be given up soon enough.

Sadly part of the reason hellgate failed is BECAUSE of its business model. Don't get me wrong. it ultimately failed because the game SUCKED but the business model didnt help.

Hellgate London wasn't bad at all. It's just stupidity on their part to try and make it into a P2P MMO. It's a FPS/ARPG. With something similar to battle.net/D2, it'll thrive.

Unfortunately, that's not what they went for.

#38 sukru   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   103 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:01 AM

Even after complaining, and being set not to buy the game, I tried the demo.

The game seems to be Ok, there are various missions (in ship, space battles, beaming down, etc). In my opinion, it might catch on (of course not with me).

#39 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8926 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:07 AM

Pretty confident that this game will end up being total shit. Not enough time in development. Star Trek MMO is nothing more than a gimmick to rip people off, and will probably be given up soon enough.

You obviously don't know anything about the game, so your prediction counts for very little.

#40 jay_remedy   Mila Kunis > Banned   6791 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

jay_remedy

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:34 AM

Hahah, such nerds.

#41 CaptDS9E   Gamer Crusader CAGiversary!   269 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

Lot's of uninformed people in this thread

"There is no way I'd invest any amount of cash without trying it out first. "

You could not get the lifetime or 12 year plan anyway. It's only for people who pre-ordered the game, and are already playing in the beta.

"Pretty confident that this game will end up being total shit. Not enough time in development. Star Trek MMO is nothing more than a gimmick to rip people off, and will probably be given up soon enough."

Like sukru said how do you know? I've been playing the beta a lot, and it's very good. Still some bugs need to be worked out in the ground combat, but the ship combat is way above expectations. People will be surprised just how good it is

"Hahah, such nerds. "

Says the guy on Video Game board

#42 turls   Clouds: no, Sunshine: yes CAGiversary!   2125 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 12:28 PM

"Hahah, such nerds. "

+1

Show some respect for an entertainment franchise that probably has something to owe to whatever gaming you are interested in.

#43 Unrealevil   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   449 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Unrealevil

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:26 PM

http://www.cad-comic...llies/20100115/

I thought that was appropriate.

#44 tukai   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1147 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:32 PM

I'm loving the beta. I wish the Klingons just didnt have pvp

#45 crumrin114   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   65 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

crumrin114

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:06 PM

Any time i think MMO i think "hellgate" and it immediately leaves a sour taste in my mouth. When Kotor comes out im in because im a die hard fan (still waiting for the KOTOR 2 restoration project to finish...come on Team Gizka!!) but i would have prefered a non-MMO. Either way, this is the last time i'll be spitting cash out for an MMO unless something EPIC comes along. Hopefully, KOTOR will be EPIC!

You don't have to wait for Team Gizka, (especially since he'll probably never release). TSL Restored Content Mod came out in September, and it's mostly debugged by now. Of course, the whole game is still buggy as anything...

#46 bywaytm   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   288 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 06:26 PM

Awe man this post was awesome :applause:

Took the words right out of my mouth.

I have tried to get a beta key and so far have failed.

There is no way I'd invest any amount of cash without trying it out first.

You could always go to best buy and get a preorder case from the pc section. It has a beta key inside.

Then you can always cancel your preorder if you want to buy somewhere else or decide you dont like it.

#47 Smokie99   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   180 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Smokie99

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:47 PM

Make sure you try it out first. I've been in several MMO betas - Everquest, Planetside, Hellgate London, Age of Conan, and now this one. IMHO this one is pretty bad for being less than a month away from launch. I don't know what they were thinking by having an open beta now. Again, make sure you try it first.

Edited by Smokie99, 17 January 2010 - 07:57 PM.

#48 friedram   PC Game Box Collector Validating   901 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:11 PM

I got into the Beta, played it - and I'm not buying this game. In fact to be honest, I'm I doubt that I'll even continue to play it for free right now. Just isn't fun.

#49 kosmos13x   Nocturne #BNC CAGiversary!   850 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 08:39 PM

I'm having serious doubts about this game. Been playing beta and cryptic is a) already making some really bad decisions b) not allowing themselves enough time to even finish the game let alone fix the massive amount of bugs that are in beta (the worse ive seen in any retail beta by far). Don't get me wrong, I really like what I was playing (when the servers were up and playable which is getting pretty rare...) but they really need to delay the game or it is gonna turn into another hellgate london I'm afraid.

#50 IronsideGrunt   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   655 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

IronsideGrunt

Posted 17 January 2010 - 09:23 PM

You could always go to best buy and get a preorder case from the pc section. It has a beta key inside.

Cool, thanks for the heads up :)

#51 weevles   No. CAGiversary!   17510 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:03 PM

Ever since they opened up the beta, I haven't been able to login. My co-workers have been able to, but that's because they persistently sit there and keep re-trying over and over until they get in. I just don't have time for that shit. Apparently, Cryptic/Atari would rather just get the game out in stores instead of making sure I can even get in to play the damn game. It's ridiculous.

#52 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:06 PM

I'm still waiting for a dedicated, non MMO Star Trek or Star Wars console game where I can play against others in massive space battles. Thus far it seems that unless you're willing to pimp out your PC to run the latest n greatest games and use that to play those games, you're SOL.

#53 starkillr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1490 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

starkillr

Posted 17 January 2010 - 11:38 PM

Thanks for the consolidated info. I didn't even realize I was getting $10 back on my Amazon order heh. Must've just added that recently.

There's a shocking amount of hate over the lifetime subscription option. It's just an option though, you don't have to choose it and can just go monthly. Even in an MMO I didn't particularly like (EVE), I ended up playing for at least 2 years. I would've saved a nice amount of money if they had a lifetime option. Same thing with WoW...damn I would've saved big there. My MMO "attention span" is at least 2 years for solid games and I enjoy this one, so the lifetime sub probably makes sense.

It doesn't feel like a hardcore game where I have to play every day, so I can squeeze in Bioware's game when it comes out also. Thankfully I have at least a year before I get crushed by that MMO. Woe to my growing stack of unplayed non-MMO games. I'll have to make it a point to make a few non-MMO gaming days so I can still make some headway. Time is your greatest enemy in gaming, just not enough of it :(

#54 eastx   The Fighting Bomber CAGiversary!   8926 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:00 AM

There's a shocking amount of hate over the lifetime subscription option. It's just an option though, you don't have to choose it and can just go monthly. Even in an MMO I didn't particularly like (EVE), I ended up playing for at least 2 years. I would've saved a nice amount of money if they had a lifetime option. Same thing with WoW...damn I would've saved big there. My MMO "attention span" is at least 2 years for solid games and I enjoy this one, so the lifetime sub probably makes sense.

Your post warms my heart! Yes, anyone who sees them offering a lifetime subscription as a bad thing is just nuts. All the regular MMO payment options are there. Do these people pop into every MMO thread and complain about MMOs in general?

This game seems to be a very authentic Star Trek experience, and none of the people who complained about the beta even compared it to the source material. I agree that the open beta should be performing better, but I expect the game to run much better at launch.

Hahah, such nerds.

You knew that was stupid before you wrote it, so you should feel doubly ashamed.

#55 ItzTitoYo   dabingbadaboom CAGiversary!   376 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 06:05 AM

I was excited when I first heard about this game until I visited the official site and noticed it was Cryptic Studios behind the development. Being part of their City of Heroes/Villains franchise for +4 years I know for a fact they really sucked with their content updates. Most of the time they pushed out content that was: very unappealing, a revamp of already available content or a lack of what the community desired. In the end they just sold off the franchise to NCsoft.

Even though they left a bad taste in my mouth I'll try to give the game a go, but won't expect much from it at all.

#56 bigdaddybruce44   Murders & Executions CAGiversary!   13295 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

bigdaddybruce44

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:26 AM

Exactly. It never ceases to amaze me how many people around here are quick throw around words like "nerd" and "geek," as if playing video games weren't those things. Instead of insulting others, maybe they should go take a look in the mirror.

#57 weevles   No. CAGiversary!   17510 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 09:35 AM

I'm trying hard to like this game, but so far, it doesn't hold my interest too well. The graphics are good, though.

I just want Old Republic to come out already... :p

#58 Keen314   CAGsiversary! CAGiversary!   984 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:09 PM

Dang, I was hoping somebody'd be interested in Star Trek Online. At least there was some discussion, though.

Hey, I'm interested in STO. But I've already got my pre-order and lifetime sub, so I don't have much to say. I appreciate the work you put into the OP though, very thorough. :applause:

#59 bigdaddybruce44   Murders & Executions CAGiversary!   13295 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

bigdaddybruce44

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:11 PM

I just want Old Republic to come out already... :p

I don't. God only knows what that is going to do to my life...

#60 lordwow   Fmr. VP of the OTT CAGiversary!   20534 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 05:13 PM

I got into the Beta, played it - and I'm not buying this game. In fact to be honest, I'm I doubt that I'll even continue to play it for free right now. Just isn't fun.

Same here. I thought it was pretty terrible.