Cheap 5.1 receiver with HDMI input

This is an incredibly vague request. Obviously, go for used to get the most value. Onkyo makes some very good receivers. Look at craigslist, ebay, etc.

I just bought a Harman/Kardon off of their ebay store for 280 shipped...AVR-254 has everything u need...I'm happy.

Uh, dumb question.

Do you have speakers for this receiver, or is this receiver going to need speakers?

And if you're looking for a receiver that has HDMI inputs at less than $200, you're looking for something used or a cheap deal on eBay. No receiver worth a damn is at that price point that does HDMI.

[quote name='shrike4242']Uh, dumb question.

Do you have speakers for this receiver, or is this receiver going to need speakers?[/QUOTE]

No speakers yet. I'll just pick up whatever on craigslist.

Beware that Onkyo is one of their half-assed HDMI recievers.

Video will pass-thru but you still need to run a seperate audio connection for each.

OP's looking for a specific price point, that hits her price point.

You'd have to run optical cables from the cable box/satellite dish and the PS3 to the receiver, which isn't a huge deal.

A better option would be some additional money to start out with just a better receiver, like a Onkyo 507 or 607 and just go with 2.1 speakers for now and work into 5.1 speakers down the road.

Right, but it still needed to be pointed out since it's a little sneaky & kind of defeats the 1 wire purpose of HDMI.

Totally agree with your start small suggestion. It's better to do that or up your budget than flush money away on a crappy reciever.

It's for my bedroom so I don' really want to splurge on it. I'll buy a totally new set when I get my own house, which is a really long time from now to never. I think I'll go for a 3.1 setup for now. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll go through the reviews Toasted linked.

[quote name='Viperx116']It's for my bedroom so I don' really want to splurge on it. I'll buy a totally new set when I get my own house, which is a really long time from now to never. I think I'll go for a 3.1 setup for now. Thanks for the suggestions and I'll go through the reviews Toasted linked.[/QUOTE]Unless you really need a 5.1 setup for your bedroom, a 3.1 setup is more than sufficient.

Checking out AVSForum.com might also be a good idea, though the amount of information that you can find there can be more than a little overwhelming sometimes.

I'd say just keep an eye on ebay and craigslist at that price. Otherwise an onkyo htib solution is the best available option.

I just bought a Harman Kardon Avr-247 (2 hdmi in/1 out, audio via hdmi) off of ebay for $185 (came to 220 with tax+shipping), refurbished and sold by the manufacturer(so it comes with 1yr warranty). So far I'm very happy with it, only had it a few days:) HK has auctions on ebay constantly for various refurbished receivers.

Do keep in mind when looking for a receiver that many of the ones you'll find in the $200 range with hdmi ports do not decode audio signals over hdmi and simply "pass-through" the signal, IE. the ports are just a convenient hdmi switch and you'll have to connect a seperate audio cable for sound. So make sure the receiver you get has the hdmi functionality you want. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Quamie']I just bought a Harman Kardon Avr-247 (2 hdmi in/1 out, audio via hdmi) off of ebay for $185 (came to 220 with tax+shipping), refurbished and sold by the manufacturer(so it comes with 1yr warranty). So far I'm very happy with it, only had it a few days:) HK has auctions on ebay constantly for various refurbished receivers.

Do keep in mind when looking for a receiver that many of the ones you'll find in the $200 range with hdmi ports do not decode audio signals over hdmi and simply "pass-through" the signal, IE. the ports are just a convenient hdmi switch and you'll have to connect a seperate audio cable for sound. So make sure the receiver you get has the hdmi functionality you want. :D[/QUOTE]

It's really hard to find info on that. The only way I know if it's pass-through is through the reviews. So far I managed to find two at ~$200:

Sony STR DG810
Pioneer VSX-519V-K

bread's done
Back