Question about shipping USPS media mail?

david12795

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
So what exactly qualifies for media mail? I know on the USPS website, they said a DVD is permitted. Would that make video games acceptable? and also do they allow items like a Wavebird or a PS2 hard drive. ( since it is a record able media) ? I am trying to ship these items.

and what does it mean it must not contain advertising? I know I will ship it in a plain yellow envelope..

"Media Mail® service is a cost efficient way to mail books, sound recordings, recorded video tapes, printed music, and recorded computer-readable media (such as CDs, DVDs, and diskettes). Media Mail can not contain advertising except for incidental announcements of books. The maximum weight for Media Mail is 70 lbs. "

Video game is acceptable. I mailed out Karaoke Revolution with microphone using Media Mail before, it still gets into buyer's hand, though that is couple years ago. But I do know that PS3 and 360 games are still acceptable, mailed out something last week using Media Mail. As for hard drive, not sure, but if it is in a bundle with CD/DVD, books or whatever acceptable then probably okay.

Actually, according to this, none of what you asked about are eligible for media mail rate.

In conclusion, video games, whether on CD-ROM, diskettes, or similar software, regardless of form, or playable systems including computers, do not meet the standards for Media Mail. In addition, storage devices such as “portable hard drives,” "thumb drives," "flash drives," "jump-drives," and "USB drives” for use with computers are also not eligible for Media Mail prices. Qualifying computer-readable media may contain no advertising except when provided for by standard, e.g. incidental announcements of other books with books in a computer-readable format.

[quote name='thunder_gamer']Wow, did not know this, used to be okay.[/QUOTE]
As far as I know, not really... There just wasn't an official ruling on it before. No rules have changed, someone high up just made an official statement saying what some clerks always said. Obviously, you'll still be "able" to mail video game stuff media mail if you get clerks who don't know or care about the official ruling.

Something to keep in mind is that First Class is very similar in price and gets to the destination much quicker. So if you are making a trade or selling something I recommend First Class because it will get to the other person much quicker and they will appreciate it.

[quote name='david12795']and what does it mean it must not contain advertising? I know I will ship it in a plain yellow envelope..[/QUOTE]

I interpret it as you can't have any logos on the package. Just a plain box or envelope.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Something to keep in mind is that First Class is very similar in price and gets to the destination much quicker. So if you are making a trade or selling something I recommend First Class because it will get to the other person much quicker and they will appreciate it[/QUOTE]
You should able to ship up to 3 DVDs to still qualify for First Class mail (13 oz. & under). Anything over that and you have to use Priority unless, of course, it qualifies for Media.

[quote name='mguiddy']As far as I know, not really... There just wasn't an official ruling on it before. No rules have changed, someone high up just made an official statement saying what some clerks always said. Obviously, you'll still be "able" to mail video game stuff media mail if you get clerks who don't know or care about the official ruling.[/QUOTE]

Well hell... if its not... Amazon has a few times shipped out large video game packages (Halo 3 LE) and it was by media mail... 95% of the games I sell fall under the 13 oz limit for first class parcel so I ship them that way

DVDs and CDs are considered media, but videogames are not. The reason you can mail videogames out through media mail is because obviously it's pretty difficult for them to discern whether you are sending out a game or a movie.

The only time I would use media mail over first class is if I'm selling some hardcover textbooks that weigh quite a few pounds. The thing about media mail is that after the first pound, the price increase per pound after that is fairly minimal, so it is really great for sending heavy, heavy books.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']Something to keep in mind is that First Class is very similar in price and gets to the destination much quicker. So if you are making a trade or selling something I recommend First Class because it will get to the other person much quicker and they will appreciate it.[/QUOTE]

Ding, ding, ding.:applause::applause: I had some assclown on here a while back DEMANDING I ship several clearance games Media Mail:roll: and they wouldn't take no for an answer. I didn't go through with the trade since they said they wouldn't reimburse me if the package got sent back.

Essentially, they expected me to take the risk and send it Media, then if it got sent back I was gonna have to fork out for shipping again.

Whatever you do though, OP, NEVER send a package just prior to a holiday. I believe I sent out 2-3 games just prior to the Christmas rush and one took about 2 weeks to get there(PA to MA).

It bounced around the one post office for the better part of the one week.:roll:

Last edited by a moderator:
Media mail is cheaper if your sending a ot of books(like2-3 hardcovers) Otherwise you might as well use 1st class for light items vike dvd's, games etc.

I pretty much ship out first class nowadays, makes it to the buyer much quicker, usually 2-3 days, works real well...

As others have said, video games do not apply. The thing is, if they don't inspect it, they don't know. So, that is why everyone has had success mailing games via media mail. If you stick a single DVD case in an envelope and send it media mail, it's not too suspicious, and they honestly don't care, because they aren't losing any money. Now, if you tried to stick a toaster oven in a box and say it was books, they would probably inspect that, due to the massive difference in shipping rates.

And as others have said, there is no real reason to ship out a game via media mail. Go first class.

Thanks for the suggestions guys :D

I guess I just wanted to go media mail is because I am tired of shipping priority for every single order. But I don't lose that much money because my profit makes up for it so that's okay.

I've always wanted to ship first class but the downside is that I live in the middle of nowhere and usually I select carrier pickup but I need at least one priority mail to be picked up because of the rules. So, it is allowed to just stick first class mail in the mailbox and USPS will just pick it up with no problems?

So how would you guys say I ship out 2 of my Wavebirds? I'm guessing it would go over the 13 oz limit.

[quote name='david12795']So, it is allowed to just stick first class mail in the mailbox and USPS will just pick it up with no problems?
[/QUOTE]

If you use printed labels from USPS.com or Paypal (saves you money too) you can place it in a mailbox. If you were using stamps (which you wouldn't) anything over 13 oz needs to go to the PO.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']If you use printed labels from USPS.com or Paypal (saves you money too) you can place it in a mailbox. If you were using stamps (which you wouldn't) anything over 13 oz needs to go to the PO.[/QUOTE]

Great! Wish I have done this earlier in the past year.

Guess I better trash all my USPS Priority envelopes, boxes, etc.

Well I should save some for priority if they exceed the 13 oz limit D:

What would happen if I went over the 13 oz? would they ship it back?

Make sure you ship the items with a delivery confirmation. It's free if you do the labels through USPS.com or Paypal.com for Priority Mail. First Class or Media Mail shipping, which you can only do through Paypal.com, the DC is $0.20.

If you're shipping Wavebirds, I'd recommend Priority Mail w/DC. As it's a bit of a pain to find Wavebirds anymore, I'd suggest spending the money on insurance, in case they get damaged or lost in the mail.

If you ship something via first class mail and you do it online, over 13 oz. won't be an option to print the label. If you do it via stamps for your postage and it's over 13 oz., they'll ship it back to you, at your expense.

[quote name='shrike4242']

If you ship something via first class mail and you do it online, over 13 oz. won't be an option to print the label. If you do it via stamps for your postage and it's over 13 oz., they'll ship it back to you, at your expense.[/QUOTE]

Agh, then I guess I lose either way- guess I will have to resort to Priority for these wavebirds then.

I've went to like 3 gamestops and have spotted a few wavebirds. Shoulda got them for profit.

There's always Parcel Post for things over 13 oz, though a lot of the time (it really depends on weight and distance) Priority is actually cheaper.

bread's done
Back