Gamestop.com NEW condition games in plastic wrap?

skateraXVIII

CAGiversary!
Feedback
71 (100%)
Was thinking about buying a NEW (not USED) game from gamestop.com and was wondering if I were to order it, if it would be in plastic wrap? I know that NEW games at GS retail stores aren't actually new, but instead are opened with the game stashed behind the counter.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AceSam14']if you order from gamestop.com you get them factory sealed...i think. My Valkyria Chronicles copy came sealed![/QUOTE]

It's a crapshoot...my "new" copy of Street Fighter IV ordered off the website was a gutted copy with price sticker on the box and all.

[quote name='Josef']It's a crapshoot...my "new" copy of Street Fighter IV ordered off the website was a gutted copy with price sticker on the box and all.[/QUOTE]

I keep telling people, your "new" Gamestop game isnt new

its had:
10x 12 year olds grabbing at the case
4x Mothers trying to figure out what game to buy there son
2x Employees raiding the case for 48 hour codes and Johnson codes
1x Baby that grabed the case from mommy and dropped it on the ground

NEW is when you have to get a knife and cut the box yourself all the security tape

[quote name='mykevermin']WTF is a Johnson code?[/QUOTE]

A "Johnson code" was a redeem code in Halo 3 ODST ONLY with preorder from Gamestop, which allows the gamer to play as Sgt. Johnson from the series.

I have bought many new games from Gamestop.com and everyone was factory sealed. Now when you buy them in the store it is a different story.

I like to buy new games from Amazon.com they are usually about $4 cheaper and then a lot of times you get $10 in Amazon credit for you next purchase.
Used games I usually buy from Gamefly.com store because they are really cheap most of the time.

Ill give Gamestop this:

If you preorder it, it is factory sealed

They DO have some games that are factory sealed in the glass cases behind the counter so just look for those if you want

They should have new descriptions and prices like this:
Factory sealed - 59.99
Opened but new - 55.99
Used - 49.99

I saw RE 4 :ps2: for $10 NEW and have some GS store credit so I thought I should get it.
I already have the :gc: version but I would like to play the additional content.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']Ill give Gamestop this:

If you preorder it, it is factory sealed[/QUOTE]

If you're talking about GameStop.com then yeah. If you mean an actual GameStop b&m then no. I've had several preorders gutted even though I was there to pick it up on the release date.

[quote name='rainking187']If you're talking about GameStop.com then yeah. If you mean an actual GameStop b&m then no. I've had several preorders gutted even though I was there to pick it up on the release date.[/QUOTE]

Then you should stand up for yourself

Tell them you preordered a new game NOT a used one

You will USUALLY get a new copy, but this is not always the case for older titles. Sometimes they will ship you gutted (opened but "new") games if they come from their local stores. This happens quite frequently. They offer you the option to return it to a local store, though I've had stores try telling me that since it was opened it wasn't new. I had to argue the case that they shipped it to me that way.

Oh and for larger items (special editions and such), I've had them come completely crushed. Again, most stores will give you trouble trying to return it as it looks like damaged goods and they'll generally assume it was your doing. Just be careful and save your receipts just in case! For newer releases you should be fine.

[quote name='CaptainKirk']Then you should stand up for yourself

Tell them you preordered a new game NOT a used one[/QUOTE]

Oh I always just get my money back when they do that, but it's still irritating when it happens.

Yeah they should always just leave the cases in the back...

NOTHING wrong with having a fake game case in the front and saying I want this and they pull out the sealed one

[quote name='CaptainKirk']Damn I am going to preorder Pokemon SoulSilver to my house do you think ill be ok?[/QUOTE]

Why not just pick it up from your local Target/Wal-Mart/KMart/TRU/Best Buy where you know you'll be getting a factory sealed copy?

[quote name='skateraXVIII']I know that NEW games at GS retail stores aren't actually new.[/QUOTE]

I don't know about anyone else, but almost all the games at my local GS stores are new. They put out one display copy, and all of the sealed copies are kept behind the counter. Sometimes, I have seen a really, really, really huge game, like Halo 3 or something, get a bunch of cases put out, but those seem rare, at least at the stores I frequent.

As far as buying online goes, as others have said, even then, they are sometimes known to ship out "new" games. Just buy your new games at big box retailers. They almost always have plenty, unless it's some kind of niche game.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I don't know about anyone else, but almost all the games at my local GS stores are new. They put out one display copy, and all of the sealed copies are kept behind the counter. Sometimes, I have seen a really, really, really huge game, like Halo 3 or something, get a bunch of cases put out, but those seem rare, at least at the stores I frequent.

As far as buying online goes, as others have said, even then, they are sometimes known to ship out "new" games. Just buy your new games at big box retailers. They almost always have plenty, unless it's some kind of niche game.[/QUOTE]

Apparently my Gamestops are different. I'd wish they only put out one display copy but many times I count 3 to 10(!) or more gutted display copies of the same title. I think after a while they want to clear out space behind the glass/in the drawer so they gut all remaining copies of a title.

Tell you what. They could go many different routes to correct this:

a. They could put print up specialized cases for every game they have in stock.
b. They could put an unopened game in a plastic container and put it on the shelf like Best Buy.
c. I'm sure there are more things they could do.

Now, let's discuss what that means to you....

a. Costs money, and where does that money come from? You. Welcome to less deals and higher prices.
b. Costs money, takes up lots of space, and looks unattractive as hell. This all equates to a lot more money, still from you. Think of used games!
c. All more money. Come up with a creative solution that doesn't involve putting real product in front of a thieving customer and is cost effective and I bet they would pay you money for it.

So stop shopping there and move on with your life, or grow a pair and ask for a different box. They can do whatever they want with their stock, and it's up to you to say, "Eh, I'd rather have an unopened box so I'll go somewhere else."

You guys act like they are the only game store on the planet.

Also, what does Gamecrazy do with their new games other than go out of business?

[quote name='CaptainKirk']I keep telling people, your "new" Gamestop game isnt new[/QUOTE]

And thank goodness, because everyone else is too stupid to figure that out out without your help.

Do you tell people pro wrestling is scripted, too?

[quote name='Josef']Apparently my Gamestops are different. I'd wish they only put out one display copy but many times I count 3 to 10(!) or more gutted display copies of the same title. I think after a while they want to clear out space behind the glass/in the drawer so they gut all remaining copies of a title.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, unfortunately, this does happen. I saw it in one store once. It was pretty stupid, because the cases were all shoved together and stuff was falling off the shelves. It just looked silly, and it's obviously unnecessary, as well.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Tell you what. They could go many different routes to correct this:[/QUOTE]

You're 100% correct. They aren't going to change it, because it costs money, and in the end, most people don't notice or don't care. The majority of the customers could care less. Soccer moms and their little kids don't care. So, if you think it's gonna change, it's not.

all GameStop needs to do is keep a sealed copy of each new game up front and put one of the little skinny DVD cases with a photocopy of the front cover on the shelf. seems nearly flawless to me (besides the bulkiness of the sealed games up front)

Wow didn't even realize this thread was still open. It's not that I think GS is my only place to shop for games, but like I said I want an older title (RE 4) which isn't sold new anywhere B & M so I end up having to go to GS. Believe me when I say that I would rather go anywhere besides GS, but I don't have as many options compared to most people (I live in Idaho where there aren't too many big name retail outlets: Fry's, Microcenter, etc.)

[quote name='skateraXVIII']Was thinking about buying a NEW (not USED) game from gamestop.com and was wondering if I were to order it, if it would be in plastic wrap? I know that NEW games at GS retail stores aren't actually new, but instead are opened with the game stashed behind the counter.[/QUOTE]

I think they changed their policy, but unsure about their online store. Last week I seen factory sealed games for sale. (mostly ds and psp games). Anyway better than opened and selling them as new.

If I order a new game and get an open game then I will bitch till no end. I want new games NEW.

actually, I'd just say "f*** this company, I'm buying from a respectable store" and demand my money back.

[quote name='rainking187']Oh I always just get my money back when they do that, but it's still irritating when it happens.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

I don't have a problem with them opening games, i really don't. Mind you, if I pay for a new game, I want one factory sealed. They've gone to give me opened copies before and I refuse them. I don't give them hell for it, simply tell them my policy. They'll either refund the money or get me a copy overnighted from another store.

End of story. No big deal.

[quote name='WormFOODx']Tell you what. They could go many different routes to correct this:

a. They could put print up specialized cases for every game they have in stock.
b. They could put an unopened game in a plastic container and put it on the shelf like Best Buy.
c. I'm sure there are more things they could do.

Now, let's discuss what that means to you....

a. Costs money, and where does that money come from? You. Welcome to less deals and higher prices.
b. Costs money, takes up lots of space, and looks unattractive as hell. This all equates to a lot more money, still from you. Think of used games!
c. All more money. Come up with a creative solution that doesn't involve putting real product in front of a thieving customer and is cost effective and I bet they would pay you money for it.

So stop shopping there and move on with your life, or grow a pair and ask for a different box. They can do whatever they want with their stock, and it's up to you to say, "Eh, I'd rather have an unopened box so I'll go somewhere else."

You guys act like they are the only game store on the planet.

Also, what does Gamecrazy do with their new games other than go out of business?[/QUOTE]

Perfectly said. :applause:

pre order online and it should be factory sealed, if you preorder it and do store pickup, you can check for sealed ones in there glass case (YMMV). New that has been out for a while games are often played by store workers or open to save space or something stupid (i don't really understand why they open them [you don't have to have 1000 empty cases on the walls, i came in knowing the new game is out]) if it's conveniently located check it out, if its not and you don't want pre-order stuff like Johnson code ext, get it from a bestbuy or something like that. If your an online shopper... your on CAG so I'm confident you can get good price on a new factory sealed games.

I've always gotten sealed when ordering online. Also FYI if you just tell them that you don't want the already opened one when trying to buy in store they will give you an unopened one. They always have for me.

Yeah I just got that $3.99 Naked Brothers Game w/ Mic brand spanking new. It was in the plastic wrap and everything, a first for any GS I've ever been to.

[quote name='Josef']Apparently my Gamestops are different. I'd wish they only put out one display copy but many times I count 3 to 10(!) or more gutted display copies of the same title. I think after a while they want to clear out space behind the glass/in the drawer so they gut all remaining copies of a title.[/QUOTE]

When GTA SA came out for XBox, I counted 14 or 15 gutted display boxes. I couldn't believe it.

I honestly don't care. Any "new" game I have gotten from gamestop I got due to some cool deal going on, and they all have came with the codes they are promised to come with, brand new discs, ect. It's not like they open them up and smear peanut butter all over the place, it's just for stock reasons. Now employees taking the discs home and playing the games before the release date and putting them back in the case to sell as "new", that pisses me off.

[quote name='kvntwvlf']I honestly don't care. Any "new" game I have gotten from gamestop I got due to some cool deal going on, and they all have came with the codes they are promised to come with, brand new discs, ect. It's not like they open them up and smear peanut butter all over the place, it's just for stock reasons. Now employees taking the discs home and playing the games before the release date and putting them back in the case to sell as "new", that pisses me off.[/QUOTE]

And actually this is changing. There is at least one district in my town where they can no longer use "new" copies for taking them home to play.

Fact of the matter is, they used to be able to take them home to play so that they would have an easier time selling the product. If you were to go to a car dealership, the deal has most likely driven your "new" car. I know a lot of people have a hard time with this, but ultimately it is a sales job where the salesperson is all the better if they are informed on how the game works.

Case in point, customer comes in and says, "How is the new Bioshock 2?"

If the sales rep says, "I dunno, I can't afford to buy it." or "I haven't had a chance to play it," this is bad. If the sales rep can say, "It's awesome, because of X Y and Z!" then this is a win for the store.

Now, the store COULD have a store copy just for the reps to play (which we used to do 10 years ago back in THE DAY!) but that costs money again, doesn't it?

Anyway, it's your choice. Not all gutted boxes you see on the shelf are actually guts, sometimes they get display copies, but it is very rare and up to the manufacturer. I would say if it's a collectors box it is a safe bet it's from the manufacturer as they typically wouldn't gut a collectors box.

Lastly, this is all dependent on the manager of the store you go to. These are humans, and I have met few game store managers that were not complete douche bags. Those that I met that are cool I wine and dine so I can get all the special favors I need done. This is the old way of doing business and it still works. This is what you must do to truly have grease on your CAG deals.

bread's done
Back